[GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]

Search This thread

dihcar

Jan 2, 2014
help!

Thanks Pagel!! I was able to fix the issue..

I used the below steps first
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1840030

Then I started getting error message saying "unauthorized software installed. Turn off phone and contact verizon"

I then used the firmware provided in your link and flashed using Odin and Pit.

It worked!! Thank you so much!!

please would you explain how did you flash the tar file and pit file, is it same time or one by one, would you detail the procedure, i'm faced with same problem, odin fails to flash after awhile, the verizon repair assistant won't detect the phone, all this due to twrp recovery flash on 4.4.2 ( i know now it's a nono)
thanks for any help

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
please would you explain how did you flash the tar file and pit file, is it same time or one by one, would you detail the procedure, i'm faced with same problem, odin fails to flash after awhile, the verizon repair assistant won't detect the phone, all this due to twrp recovery flash on 4.4.2 ( i know now it's a nono)
thanks for any help

Try to download different versions of Odin, eventually one will work.

dihcar

Jan 2, 2014
I've found that version 3.07 seems to work the best. Just used it on my Note 8 and my Tab 2. Worked great

Nexus 6 via Pure Nexus

Tried several version of Odin, was able to flash pit and PDA files but always fails a little after starting to flash system 20-25% progress.
I'm out of wits, anyone???

dihcar

Jan 2, 2014
Edit

It occurred to me if I can flash a stock recovery through Odin I'm might unbrick it, but I can't find any tar stock recovery 4.4.2, any link?

dihcar

Jan 2, 2014
SOLVED!!!

As i mentioned in post above, that's what worked for me.
here's how i did it:
using 7zip i opened the stock firmware and extracted the recovery image then still using 7zip i compressed it into tar file.
got the phone in odin mode and flashed the stock recovery tar.
after reboot i booted into recovery mode i made a cache and data wipe.
after reboot i went into odin mode again and flashed the stock firmware (4.4.2), it went smoothly untill the end.
as of now my phone is up and running. :victory:
hope that helps!

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
As i mentioned in post above, that's what worked for me.
here's how i did it:
using 7zip i opened the stock firmware and extracted the recovery image then still using 7zip i compressed it into tar file.
got the phone in odin mode and flashed the stock recovery tar.
after reboot i booted into recovery mode i made a cache and data wipe.
after reboot i went into odin mode again and flashed the stock firmware (4.4.2), it went smoothly untill the end.
as of now my phone is up and running. :victory:
hope that helps!

Nice troubleshooting! Sorry I didn't have a stock rom to give you our I would've posted it earlier.

That definitely should've fixed all your problems.

dihcar

Jan 2, 2014
Dead again!!!

Well i can say my lap of victory was very short, my s3 is dead again:eek::crying:

this time it was entirely my fault, the phone does't charge the battery, even though it says it does with the icon on notification bar, this issue is very common on s3 since it came out and nobody really could find a fix, i used an external charger, and it worked this way for awhile.
last time i wanted to strengthen the contact between the charging port and motherboard by just adding some soldering on contact pins ( i'm not new at this),
i did and when put it back and turned it on it showed the logo for awhile the went dead, when i touched the phone it was very hot, i suspected a short circuit s/c between the teeth of charging port, i went back and made sure all is clear and no s/c there.
but still when i put it back it remained dead, nothing even pc doesn't see it.
did i burn a fuse on motherboard and which one?
i also read sometime ago, we can turn on the phone from within the mother board (jump start it) by short circuiting 2 points,.
anyway whoever is familiar with this issue please let me know.
the slightest tip can be helpful! thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

sorry to mod. feel free to move my above post to a new or another thread, thanks.

Last edited:

kelex2014

Jun 18, 2016
i get a fail with and without the pit and im lost and im new at all this and just want my phone fixed.

Last edited:

Blackxotic

Jul 16, 2016
finaly i found it (sorry if my language isnt good)

i have the same problem, my S3 sch-i535 stuck in boot (4G LTE Verizon) and when i flash using odin is always fail after in "nand write", and the recovery (cwm 6.0.2.3) all is "E:Cant mount...." anythings there in white fonts.
before is i use the 4.1.1 rooted rom and now is stuck in boot, i can open odin mode or recovery but cant flash anythings always fail.

i will try this steps and hope will work again my phone or i will put the phone on the wall.:confused::(

Blackxotic

Jul 16, 2016
finaly i found it (sorry if my language isnt good)

i have the same problem, my S3 sch-i535 stuck in boot (4G LTE Verizon) and when i flash using odin is always fail after in "nand write", and the recovery (cwm 6.0.2.3) all is "E:Cant mount...." anythings there in white fonts.
before is i use the 4.1.1 rooted rom and now is stuck in boot, i can open odin mode or recovery but cant flash anythings always fail.

i will try this steps and hope will work again my phone or i will put the phone on the wall.:confused::(

I try to use odin but all the time fail,:(:rolleyes::crying:
here the log on odin :

(without PIT)
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

(with PIT)
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/003> FAIL!

And i try using "SUA_ar" but the phone is not detected so nothing i can tick there.

Any solution for this, i dont neet to unlock bootloade or root or using cwm/twrp, i just need the phone life normally.
In the screen of oding mode is show up:
ODIN MODE (red fonts)
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535 (white fonts)
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (4 counts) (white fonts)
CURRENT BINARY: Custom (white fonts)
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom (white fonts)
DUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (brown fonts)

What is mean with this???

LightC

Jun 6, 2009
Tried flashing the NE1 and ML1 modem after downgrading to 4.1.2 and bricked my phone again somehow. This time it was a bit different for some reason and I can't debrick using the debrick.img method!

Here is what I did:
- Downgraded to 4.1.2 using this method (I was on 4.3 ML1 previously)
- Rooted, flashed insecure aboot, installed the latest version of TWRP
- Flashed the NE1 modem only using TWRP resulting in the triangle error
- Flashed the ML1 modem only using TWRP which still resulted in the triangle error

Both modem flashes resulted in the triangle at bootup where it says that Verizon detected unauthorized software.

I was still able to get into download mode at this point so I thought I would ODIN flash the original ML1 firmware and start the process all over again.

When I did this and ODIN rebooted the phone, I was hard bricked!

All three debrick images do not get my phone to boot this time. Previously, I was able to use the debrick.img for 4.3 when I had flashed a NE1 modem with MF1 firmware on the device. I've tried a number of burns of the SD card with the same debrick.img but have had no luck.

I guess I have to say goodbye to this S3 unless anyone has any ideas!

danobueno

Nov 3, 2016
I try to use odin but all the time fail,:(:rolleyes::crying:
here the log on odin :

(without PIT)
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.

(with PIT)
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/003> FAIL!

And i try using "SUA_ar" but the phone is not detected so nothing i can tick there.

Any solution for this, i dont neet to unlock bootloade or root or using cwm/twrp, i just need the phone life normally.
In the screen of oding mode is show up:
ODIN MODE (red fonts)
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535 (white fonts)
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (4 counts) (white fonts)
CURRENT BINARY: Custom (white fonts)
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom (white fonts)
DUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (brown fonts)

What is mean with this???

Hi Blackxotic
I recently find myself in the same situation that you were when you wrote your post. Did you find any solution which might come handy to your problem? I am currently downloading the old version of ALL_I535VRUCML1 to give it a try. But if you already know a way to solve it I will be forever grateful to you!

:)

postal302

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville
I know this is an old thread and the S3 is a dying breed, but I wanted to post anyway. I'm fixing a friend's S3 and was having no luck with the stock ROMs in the op. I used the ROM from here and it worked perfectly.

Reactions: Brasscat82

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS WILL WORK ONLY IF YOU CAN GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE (Odin mode) if you bricked your bootloader try HERE

Who can benefit from this?
    • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 then tried to downgrade resulting in a soft brick
    • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 and somehow lost there recovery or follow restoring stock recovery instructions HERE
    • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 but failed with access to download mode
    • Anyone who wants 4.3 but for some reason can not OTA
    • Anyone who took the NC1 update (new 4.3) and wants to revert to ML1 (old 4.3 with saferoot and safestrap support)
    Linux and Mac users must follow the Odin method using the correct PIT file (found at the bottom of the op) and substitue Odin with Jodin3 found HERE and spam AdamOutler thanks button for making Jodin3

WARNING! UPDATING TO 4.3 WILL RESULT IN A LOCKED BOOTLOADER FOREVER!!

4.3 with Odin

How to enter Download Mode
    • Make sure your device is completely off
    • Hold Volume Down + Home
    • While holding both of them simultaneously press the Power button until you see the disclaimer on the screen
    • Then let go of all the buttons and press Volume Up
    =====================================================================================
    1. Download and extract Odin <--- New link 1/23/14
    2. Download and extract ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5.7z (official old 4.3 tar ball) or ALL_I535VRUCNC1_I535VZWCNC1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5.7z (official new 4.3 tar ball)
    3. Download kies and install as administrator. make sure the [Unified Driver Installer] check box is checked at the end of the install (Might take some time)
      Windows Kies Here
      Mac Kies Here
    4. Enter Download Mode
    5. Make sure Kies is closed then plug in your phone and wait for drivers to install
    6. Open Odin As administrator
    7. You should see your phone under ID:COM (you should also see it has been added in message)
    8. Make sure only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time is checked
    9. Check PDA [ ]
    10. Click on [PDA] And select the .tar file you just extracted (Only use PDA Never use the others)
    11. Wait for it to verify the MD5 then click [Start]

From here on out its all automated Odin will Flash SCH-I535_I535VRUCML1 then restart (dont forget first boot takes time)

If you get stuck in a boot loop go into recovery and do a factory reset (probably should regardless)
    4.3 With Verizon Utility [will always push the most recent firmware atm 4.4.2 and you will not be able to go back to 4.3] (Windows only for now)

How to enter Download Mode
    • Make sure your device is completely off
    • Hold Volume Down + Home
    • While holding both of them simultaneously press the Power button until you see the disclaimer on the screen
    • Then let go of all the buttons and press Volume Up
    =====================================================================================
    1. Download and unzip
      Windows SUA_ar.zip <--- New Link
      Mac SUA_ar.zip
    2. Open SUA_ar folder
    3. Install SUABnRSetup as administrator (might take some time and may not be nessesary)
    4. Download kies and install as administrator. make sure the [Unified Driver Installer] check box is checked at the end of the install (Might take some time)
      Windows Kies Here
      Mac Kies Here
    5. Make sure Kies is closed then go into download mode and plug into your pc (hold here until drivers install)
    6. Run SUA.exe as administrator
    7. Click on [Repair Assistant] (on the left)
    8. Click on run [Repair Assistant] (on the bottom)
    9. After repair assistant recognizes your phone click [Repair Galaxy S(R) III] (on the right side)

It will say "Due to the condition of your phone/tablet, all data will need to be erased during the repair."

10. Click [continue]
    From here on out its all automated it will download and install SCH-I535_I535VRUCML1 then restart (dont forget first boot takes time)

If you get stuck at 84% try THIS

If you get stuck in a boot loop go into recovery and do a factory reset (probably should regardless)

If you keep failing it might be because you have bad partitions. Download the pit file that matches your phone (16gb S3 use the 16gb pit file or 32gb S3 use the 32gb pit file) Follow the Odin instructions with the addition of your pit file By clicking [PIT] in Odin. Or try this fix Here

As long as things went smooth you should be back on 4.3 ready to take on the world!

Want root on 4.3? Use saferoot (ML1) HERE or towelroot (ML1/NC1) HERE Remember you are on a locked bootloader. You can not flash insecure bootloader, roms or custom recovery.
    BS link that routes to a junk download site! please remove

This is just plain disrespectful. I just checked every link in the OP and they take me to AndroidFileHost. I'm using Safari on a MBP. If you're referring to AFH, well we operate by a wonderful code around here: deal with it.
    Could you please walk me through how you finally got your phone to take the flash from ODIN? I have the same problems that you have. Thanks!

Sure, but be warned that I am a complete amateur and barely understand anything about the process. I just read dozens of forum posts and tried to understand what to do and what not to do.

After attempting the initial methods in the OP, I went about trying to account for broken partitions as suggested by ThePagel. I ultimately found the PIT file from this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30547929&postcount=47
    These are strictly for Verizon GS3s, not AT&T, Sprint, etc. If you have a different carrier, you'll need to search around and find the right file. Get the 16GB file if you have a 16GB phone, 32 for 32.

First, based on the suggestion of one thread, I ran Odin as described in the OP, (i.e. the 4.3 tar ML1 file to PDA, and Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time ticked) PLUS adding the appropriate (16gb in my case) PIT file under PIT (obvs), and Re-Partition also ticked. As I previously described, Odin would then hang at "Initialization".

After trying this a couple times and a few variations (One thread suggested, if you hang on initializing, something about cycling the battery when plugged in but between initiating download mode and pressing the volume up to actually start it. This did nothing, nor did any variation on when I plugged it in, removed the battery, etc.)...

WHAT FINALLY WORKED: Just like OP, plus PIT file, NO TICK on re-partition.
    I.E. --> sch-i535-16gb.pit in PIT, ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 in PDA, tick Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. Hit Start.

YMMV, but my phone works now. Huge thanks to ThePagel for the OP.
    @ThePagel I PMd you. I will go ahead and post a mirror for the SUA_ar.zip here. You can move this link to the OP. Once everyone wakes up they are gonna shut down your dropbox for excessive traffic. :cool:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199403
    Couple things, when you redo the OP could you make sure to detail what scenario would lead you to using this tool? Maybe make that a little clearer.

Also, we don't have a bootloader to boot directly into like say HTC devices. Samsung let's you boot into recovery or download mode. Download Mode may be an equivalent term to "bootloader" for other devices but it may be confusing to new S3 users down the road. Cheers!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I think I can manage that

@ThePagel I PMd you. I will go ahead and post a mirror for the SUA_ar.zip here. You can move this link to the OP. Once everyone wakes up they are gonna shut down your dropbox for excessive traffic. :cool:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199403

Thankyou!

Would this work on a phone that wasn't bricked but you wanted to just restore it to pristine stock 4.3? (a sort of "oh crap, I accidentally deleted a bunch of system APKs - how do I get those back?!"

Yes

Kies should handle that. Not sure but as never used Kies but you should not need that other file. Just repair in Kies. :cool:

Because he is on 4.3 kies is no help. Its still giving us 4.1.2

Will this repair a broken recovery also? After I took the OTA I rooted then tried to install a custom recovery. Now when I boot to recovery I get the error "SECURE FAIL: KERNAL" as well as the yellow triangle. The phone does work and I can get into download mode, I just want my recovery back so I can do a factor data reset if needed.

Yes this will work just remember you run the risk of a hard brick if things go wrong