How to charge an XDA battery for best results

Search This thread

tellan

Mar 29, 2004
wondered if people have an opinion on the best way to charge the XDA.

With my current mobile (samsung N500) I always used the policy of charge until full, then run until flat, then charge until full again etc.

ie, never recharging until it was flat. This is a bit of a throwback to when I used to use nicads a lot about 15 years ago.

the methodology being that if you did it this way the batteries remembered how much charge they were supposed to hold.

however, these new lithium polymer batteries in PDA's aren't supposed to have this issue are they?

On my samsung it's been fine, it's held charge well and never really gotten less, even after a years worth of charging and discharging.

A chap at work does the complete opposite, he puts his on charge whenever he can, whether it's flat or not, and usually before it falls below 80%, his reasoning being that he read somewhere that if you trickle charge it a lot it lasts longer.

as you can see, two conflicting methods of working.

what should I be doing to make my battery last as long and as well as possible

Biso007

Aug 10, 2003
Cairo, Egypt
The "memory effect" issue is known for the N.MH battaries only ... and it's true that u have to drain it each time ... the XDA has L.Polymer type which doesn't have this issue ... u can charge it each night.

tellan

Mar 29, 2004
so I can charge it each night whether it's flat or not? sorry if this sounds dumb but I just want to make sure I understand this right,

don't fell like sending it off to have the battery replaced every few months because I abuse it.

scottyjchef

Nov 28, 2003
Orange County, California
I knew the Nicads had the memory problem, but the NiMh aren't supposed to be as bad. Most new types of batteries don't have the memory problem, just increased capacities and less harmful to the environment.

discharge almost fully then recharge

I used to own a iPAQ 3630 and now I own an O2 XDA. Both the iPAQ and the XDA have a Li-Po battery, and with both devices I have the same charge/discharge experience. The battery lasts longer if you discharge it almost fully, till say 20-30% and then charge, not sooner. Constantly recharging decreases battery life considerably, as if the battery gets "lazy". My XDA's battery now lasts 5-6 hours usage with backlight on plus some 48hrs on standby. My 2 cents.

tellan

Mar 29, 2004
well after one days use I'm impressed by the battery life

fully charged and went off charge at 5pm

10 mins talk time
3 hours farting around with it in the evening

went to bed at 11pm

backlight off
no switch off set
phone switched off

by 7.30 am this morning, still had 30% battery left

nice.

gunsandrosses

Mar 17, 2004
LI, NY
Saving battery while listening to music

I have never had a problem keeping a battery charge until recently. I normally have my sx56 on standby and talk for about an hour a day and maybe spend half an hour checking appointments. I just recently got a 512 card and when I'm walking somewhere I listen to music. Maybe another hour out of my day. For whatever reason I used to end a 12 hour day with 40-50% battery and now I'm down to 10-20. I currently use wm player and keep the screen off when music is on. Do other softwares use less battery and is this drain in 12 hours normal. It sounds excessive to me.

tellan

Mar 29, 2004
doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

playing of MP3's really drains the batteries. quite a few reviews use draining the batteries by playing MP3's as some sort of yardstick.

I've seen reviews that quote the XDa as running down flat after 3 .5 hours from playing MP3's.