Launcher 8 is AWESOME

Search This thread
After trying several launchers (adw, go, Launcher 7 and so on) with different high contrast themes, i decided that Launcher 8 is the one.
I attached some photos to show the results...

But I also have one question: is it possible to add quick WiFi shortcut on desktop ? I know that touching the clock will show the quick connect, but that is bull sh*t, I can only enable/disable. For advanced settings, I have to go in Settings menu. But if is possible, I would like to have that on my screen.

Thanks ;)

Attachments

• IMAGE00021.jpg
    IMAGE00021.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 4,815
  • IMAGE00022.jpg
    IMAGE00022.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 4,512
Reactions: smayonak

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
After trying several launchers (adw, go, Launcher 7 and so on) with different high contrast themes, i decided that Launcher 8 is the one.

But I also have one question: is it possible to add quick WiFi shortcut on desktop ? I know that touching the clock will show the quick connect, but that is bull sh*t, I can only enable/disable. For advanced settings, I have to go in Settings menu. But if is possible, I would like to have that on my screen.

Thanks ;)

install Gscript

https://code.google.com/p/gscript-android/downloads/list

create a shell script containing :

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.wifi.Settings_Wifi_Settings

- Place the script in /sdcard/gscript/
- Load it

Gscript allows you to create a desktop shortcut to the script.
Voila. You have a shortcut to advanced wifi settings on your desktop.

Alternatively you can write a simple apk to run this command (you will get your own custom icon).
You can use my FastMode2.apk as a model.
It starts a bash command and quits.

Last edited:
Reactions: smayonak and derei

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Done

how to compile from source ( if you have android SDK installed and configured)

- change icons in /res/ folders if you like
- keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-release-key.keystore -alias alias_name -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
- ant release
- jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore my-release-key.keystore my_application.apk alias_name
- adb install my_application.apk

have fun

http://developer.android.com/tools/publishing/app-signing.html

Attachments

• Wifi_Settings.apk.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Wifi_Settings_source.zip
    61.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Ericvanholstyn

Sep 7, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
I rooted my nstg running 1.2.1 with nookmanager, and have the market place up and running, but when I try to install launcher 8 (apparently called wp 8 now) through the google play store on my laptop or claims it's incomparable with my device. Any suggestions?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I rooted my nstg running 1.2.1 with nookmanager, and have the market place up and running, but when I try to install launcher 8 (apparently called wp 8 now) through the google play store on my laptop or claims it's incomparable with my device. Any suggestions?

It might be. If you want to try anyway, copy the PlayStore URL and paste it into here. Then try to sideload/install and see if the NSTG will let you. If not, you need an earlier/compatible version.

Reactions: Ericvanholstyn

Ericvanholstyn

Sep 7, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
It might be. If you want to try anyway, copy the PlayStore URL and paste it into (link removed because I'm too new to the forum to post outside links:confused:). Then try to sideload/install and see if the NSTG will let you. If not, you need an earlier/compatible version.

So the link worked to generate an apk that I then saved to my google drive, after clicking on the file on my nook it appears to begin installation but then displays a message that there was a phrasing error...I'm new to android so I'm not entirely sure what this even means. I'd love to be able to run the launcher from the OP but I'm just not sure what steps I'm missing in the process. thanks in advance for any input that my help.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
So the link worked to generate an apk that I then saved to my google drive, after clicking on the file on my nook it appears to begin installation but then displays a message that there was a phrasing error...I'm new to android so I'm not entirely sure what this even means. I'd love to be able to run the launcher from the OP but I'm just not sure what steps I'm missing in the process. thanks in advance for any input that my help.

Parsing error. That means it's for a higher Android version. Unfortunately none of the postings I could find re:Launcher8 give the version number. The current market version is 3.x

If you follow the link on the PlayStore page to the app website it looks like maybe you can download a version 2.x? Or you can try here and see if one of the older versions will install.

Reactions: Ericvanholstyn

spedinfargo

Jul 11, 2011
Does anyone know how to get the latest version of WP Launcher (new name for Launcher 8) to NOT show the tiles over the wallpaper?

I'm trying to settle on a launcher for the Nook Glowlight Plus (the October 2015 version). WP Launcher seems to work but the wallpaper/background makes it look terrible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Done

how to compile from source ( if you have android SDK installed and configured)

- change icons in /res/ folders if you like
    - keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-release-key.keystore -alias alias_name -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
    - ant release
    - jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore my-release-key.keystore my_application.apk alias_name
    - adb install my_application.apk

have fun

http://developer.android.com/tools/publishing/app-signing.html

Thanks ;)

install Gscript

https://code.google.com/p/gscript-android/downloads/list

create a shell script containing :

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.wifi.Settings_Wifi_Settings

- Place the script in /sdcard/gscript/
    - Load it

Gscript allows you to create a desktop shortcut to the script.
    Voila. You have a shortcut to advanced wifi settings on your desktop.

Alternatively you can write a simple apk to run this command (you will get your own custom icon).
    You can use my FastMode2.apk as a model.
    It starts a bash command and quits.

Thanks ;)

It might be. If you want to try anyway, copy the PlayStore URL and paste it into here. Then try to sideload/install and see if the NSTG will let you. If not, you need an earlier/compatible version.

Parsing error. That means it's for a higher Android version. Unfortunately none of the postings I could find re:Launcher8 give the version number. The current market version is 3.x

If you follow the link on the PlayStore page to the app website it looks like maybe you can download a version 2.x? Or you can try here and see if one of the older versions will install.