[FAQ] Chromecast Frequently Asked Questions

2,474 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,018

By bhiga, Recognized Contributor on 10th December 2013, 07:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th December 2016, 09:27 PM |#271  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Sorry, someone posted it on Chromecast Facebook group so I assumed it was about the new one, deleted my message as it was a bit harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Not sure, maybe ask in the Chromecast 2015 forum, as I don't see one for the Chromecast Ultra yet.
Also remember that XDA-Developers is a user forum, not an official Google anything. If you want to provide Google with feedback, you should do so via their forums/groups.

For the original Chromecast, the answer is of course that H.265/HEVC was still in the works and distribution and availability, not to mention hardware decoders, weren't mainstream yet.

In either case, Chromecast is not really designed as a general "wireless video streaming" device, it's meant to be an extension of your existing mobile device, allowing playback of Internet-based content on your TV, offloading the work from your mobile device. It's an alternative to source device + wireless video streamer, rather than replacement.

If you want "anything I can play on my computer, I want to see on the screen" then you should look at a device designed to wirelessly mirror a screen to the TV, like a Miracast receiver or a prosumer-level wireless HDMI transmitter.

8th December 2016, 01:09 AM |#272  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,018

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matx999

Sorry, someone posted it on Chromecast Facebook group so I assumed it was about the new one, deleted my message as it was a bit harsh.

It wasn't all that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, faq

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)