Car chargers 1000ma?

Search This thread

xtripnic

Nov 5, 2008
I'm currently using a regular usb cable to charge my phone directly from my car stereo while driving. The problem is that it takes close to an hour for the battery charge to increase 10% when I'm streaming pandora through bluetooth and using the phone's GPS. I'm assuming that the usb port in my stereo is only capable of putting out 500ma, if not less. Curious to see if anyone knows whether a DC to micro usb cable would give me a faster charge (1000ma). Thanks in advance.

gtkansan

Nov 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
BEst one ive ever used is the official palm one for the pre or pixi. Completely charges the evo from dead to full in about an hour while on the road on a call via bluetooth. Seriously good, verified a while ago on the precentral.net forums that its 1000 mA. They are only like 15 bucks at best buy, or maybe even less on amazon.

macdon

Jun 30, 2009
Go to amazon or google and search for 12V 1Amp USB charger and that should give you exactly what you need...I use a 1Amp charger for all my devices and works just fine...1 thing to note, that if you have time to use a 500ma charger, let it do it, a little bit slower charge will extend the life of the battery(not necessarily run time, but the length of time the battery will hold as good of a charge).

xenokira

Jun 24, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Last edited:

xtripnic

Nov 5, 2008
Cool, thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with the palm pre charger from amazon, a little pricey at $20, but that's the best deal I could find for it. I'd rather pay a little more than get one that will crap out on me in a month. And it terms of a slower charge (500ma) being more beneficial for a longer battery lifespan, I'd rather dish out $10-$15 in 6 months or so for a new battery than to have to deal with this ridiculously slow charging time :cool:

Slappy_G

Apr 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Another option for 1A (1000mA)...

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I think this may be useful to know:

Several other EVO forums ("fora?") have reported great success with this low-profile charger. I just got it off of amazon myself...

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Micro-Auto-Charger-5VOLT/dp/B002F0200Q/ref=sr_1_1

You can also get 1-meter cables from Blackberry themselves on Amazon for $2.50 each, so if you have Amazon Prime, gets you a flexible solution for 11 bucks or so. I have ordered mine and will report back in 2 days...

xenokira

Jun 24, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

Several other EVO forums ("fora?") have reported great success with this low-profile charger. I just got it off of amazon myself...

You can also get 1-meter cables from Blackberry themselves on Amazon for $2.50 each, so if you have Amazon Prime, gets you a flexible solution for 11 bucks or so. I have ordered mine and will report back in 2 days...

This is actually the same one I linked earlier minus the iPod cable and much cheaper :p

EDIT: Best Buy seems to have stopped carrying this product. I updated the link in my post above to Slappy_G's post :)

Last edited:

ntron1

Apr 11, 2009

+1

Been using this for months on many devices and it works great.

blueblur

Jun 14, 2010
Washington, D.C.

I just ordered one from Amazon.com myself... I got it for free since I had a 10 dollar gift card that I forgot I had!!! Thanks for the link.

nhutpham

Jul 1, 2010
Do they make one with 2 USB ports? One for charging the phone and another for your Bluetooth head piece.

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but you can search for Scosche to find their products. They make dual port USB chargers.

Scosche makes a couple different models, one is advertised as having 2 amps over the two ports.

On a side note, I tried buying a blackberry micro usb cable off Amazon, and it starts to charge my phone for a second or two and then stops, it's very strange. I think it might work with the home charger, but I didn't check as I didn't notice till later that the charging stopped so soon.

Slappy_G

Apr 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Doing some cleanup and checking threads I promised to respond to... ;)

The Belkin works great, and my wife has the 2-port Scosche. However, for me, NEITHER of them show "Charging(AC)" on either of our 2 Evo's. I have tried the charger in several cars, and same result. Not sure, but I'm guessing they are putting out incrementally less than 1A.

Not sure if that keeps the phone from triggering "quick charge" mode or not.

11_fingers

Jun 24, 2010
I have a charger from iGo, works great and has swappable tips so you can use it with other phones or devices, think it was $15-20 with a free tip.

URABUS0924

May 18, 2010

Can someone here confirm that this does deliver the full 1A? There is a review on Amazon from an EVO owner who says his phone sees this as USB and not AC charging.

VW91N3

Jul 26, 2010
glorious Galt CA
It says o/p:5.0V-2A so im not sure if I should use them..
If you were trying to draw three amps from a 2-amp capacity charger, you could damage the charger. However, a device that draws 1 amp from a 2-amp charger will draw one amp. Chargers don't push more amperage than is demanded: it's up to what the charging device is drawing. You and your device will be fine in having "too much" charger.

appagom

Sep 18, 2010
plus 1 for resurrecting a dead thread :)

I bought an off brand one (looks about identical) in a respectable local supermarket. It claimed 1.5A.. so overspecced (and no there's nothing wrong with overspeccing, devices won't draw more power than they can handle so long as the input voltage is correct).

Like the previous poster's belkin experience, my korean SGS (shw-m110s) saw it as a usb, not ac. I took it apart and shorted the data pins together, took about 5 minutes). Then it recognized as AC and charged a little faster I think, but still at empty (the fastest time to charge normally) it charges about 1% (1.5 mAh) in 2 minutes(.033 hours).. which is just under 500mA charge rate (450 but well within the measurement error and 10% loss seems quite reasonable anyway). Anyway, sure as heck isn't able to draw 1A off of it. The wall charger which is supposedly only 700 mA charges several times faster actually! (which is probably quite safe at low charge levels, but sure seems like alot more than 700mA too me, but I didn't measure it as well).

I suspect this gizmo was never actually meant to output 1.5A (as it's not configured as a quick charger) or if it does, it only does it with large losses, and an internal voltage drop that's too excessive for the SGS to still be capable of actually pulling that much current.

Wish I knew what to buy.

Dante_l1

Mar 7, 2008
I Have been using the official palm charger since June. I picked it up at sprint corporate store or radio shack. It is rated for 1 amp and come with a nice short micro usb.
If I were buying today I would go with one of the Platinum branded items Best Buys sells. I saw them for the first time last night so they must be new. So far I have purchased the Pt branded case for EVO and 2 different mounting kits. All of their stuff seems top quality. The have a 2 amp single usb and a 3 amp dual usb model that I saw.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk