Everything about F2FS for our device (Recoveries, patches, info,...)

Search This thread

Phil_Smith

Oct 16, 2015
LG Optimus 4X HD
Xiaomi Mi 5
Incredible , multirom/twrp 2.8.6 also shows f2fs in repair section, maybe you could have a look to it.
Yes, you're right! Seems to work out fine for f2fs - thanks for that!
Often you cannot boot into recovery if not using the vol- key in the older f2fs twrp version, so this one is probably way better.

Remember that 2nd rom are located in data/media/0/multirom/... ; I never try f2fs on cm12 (+ 2nd f2fs cm11 ?)? check http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70024745&postcount=720
I'm only using one ROM at the time for the moment, but f2fs seems to work perfectly fine running cm11.

If you need xposed, microG, or WakelocBlocker on latest cm11 check mine https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591000424954838
Ah, did't see you had compiled your owm cm11 version : )
When I find the time, I'll check it out - Recently playing around with my phone takes way too much time and finally I have something that seems fast and stable, so I'll keep that at least for a little while ; )

Finally, it's possible that p880' cwm from direct cyanogen recovery download is the newest one (f2fs?): https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=p880
Let us know if something is better.
The latest cmw nightly recovery cannot mount the f2fs partitions, so still no f2fs support in cwm...

Nota: I believed aosp6 anykernel was incompatible with cm11 !?
Well, I wasn't too sure either, before trying it out, but it works perfectly!

Cannot confirm this. Whenever I tried to format a partition into f2fs and installed cm11, it was reverted back immediately. Strange that the git shows different hints...

Thanks for your informative reply!

Last edited:

Phil_Smith

Oct 16, 2015
LG Optimus 4X HD
Xiaomi Mi 5
If you need xposed, microG, or WakelocBlocker on latest cm11 check mine https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591000424954838

Installed your cm11 version and the setup stands.
Xposed works : )
What improvements can one expect from micorG?
And which settings do you recommend for the wakelock blocker? I never used one before. Are there typical things you would wanna select?
Thanks a lot!

One more thing - I recently installed v20c to update my baseband, but it still shows the firmware and not the baseband version under cm11...
However it showed the correct version under aosp7.1.1.
Do you think this is a problem (and if so, how can I fix this, other than trying what I already did)?

Last edited:

oF2pks

May 22, 2016
Installed your cm11 version and the setup stands.
Xposed works : )
What improvements can one expect from micorG?
And which settings do you recommend for the wakelock blocker? I never used one before. Are there typical things you would wanna select?
Thanks a lot!

One more thing - I recently installed v20c to update my baseband, but it still shows the firmware and not the baseband version under cm11...
However it showed the correct version under aosp7.1.1.
Do you think this is a problem (and if so, how can I fix this, other than trying what I already did)?
Both microG & WakelockBlocker are controversial, but they 100% passive secure tools:

http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-microg-gmscore-floss-play-services-t3217616
microG is more a philosophical state to avoid Google' galaxy; with latest GooglePlaystore optimisations, it's hard to know which is more frugal, but you never know what Google wil be tomorrow...
Like Omnirom & F-droid, microG is the only secure privacy alternative.
It replaces GoogleService, can be greenified and can seeds official Playstore/PaidApp.
Most of the people use it for location services on pre-downloaded databases of all your country cell towers : http://opencellid.org/

http://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/wakelock-blocker-official-2016-nightly-t3393825
On KK, all the app are triggering wakelocks , so depending your needs, you can "break" intrusive or non-frugal ones. On LP, only very aggressive app are intrusive (UCbrowser); on MM&N with doze, WakelockBlocker is almost useless but can still prevent intrusions or infections.

If you don't have gps/ril dysfunctions, better is to do nothing scary with your "hybrid" baseband...

For twrp/F2FS, it should be fine to know which one are compatible, twrp2.8.6 has bugless glitches due to memory space limits when multirom was added. I didn't know 3.0.2 was incompatible?

Reactions: Phil_Smith

Phil_Smith

Oct 16, 2015
LG Optimus 4X HD
Xiaomi Mi 5
For twrp/F2FS, it should be fine to know which one are compatible, twrp2.8.6 has bugless glitches due to memory space limits when multirom was added. I didn't know 3.0.2 was incompatible?

Thanks again for all the information!

Well, I noticed the glitches. It's not that nice of a feature, but everything works non the less.

I only know of the two f2fs twrp versions in my post (2.7.xxx and 2.8.6). Other than that, I found nothing compatible.

Twrp 3.0.2.0 indeed is able to identify f2fs partitions, but there is no option to convert partitions into f2fs.
Is it difficult to add such a feature? I'm a somewhat okay programmer, as I'm studying information science, but I have no experience with compiling ROMs and recoveries..

Gesendet von meinem Optimus 4X HD mit Tapatalk

Reactions: oF2pks

oF2pks

May 22, 2016
Thanks again for all the information!

Well, I noticed the glitches. It's not that nice of a feature, but everything works non the less.

I only know of the two f2fs twrp versions in my post (2.7.xxx and 2.8.6). Other than that, I found nothing compatible.

Twrp 3.0.2.0 indeed is able to identify f2fs partitions, but there is no option to convert partitions into f2fs.
Is it difficult to add such a feature? I'm a somewhat okay programmer, as I'm studying information science, but I have no experience with compiling ROMs and recoveries..

Gesendet von meinem Optimus 4X HD mit Tapatalk
We have to ask @fritzcola to re-upload his magic tree : https://github.com/lenzwagner/device_lge_p880_multirom .

oF2pks

May 22, 2016
Thx again for all your works !
I can see recent moves on github : android_device_lge_p880/mr_init_devices.c +/recovery ..
Does it mean, we can build a twrp with multirom & f2fs compatible with MM ( or even N) for primary rom?

Without your "compressed" magic twrp 2.8.6 multirom, I wouldn't have been able to build & test anything; I have an aosp7 ak kexeced kernel compatible with my cm12, and now I'm looking toward cm14/tree with awesome csk1jw' 100% generic kernel (~cm12+motorola/nougat upgrades). Unfortunately, I'm very new to tree stuff. Apparently google's move to jack & ninja don't change cm build behaviour (?). Also I don't get @alfsamsung changes on cm13/frameworks/av (with his uber euphoria kernel) and I have a broken CMmusic in my cm13 build.
I'm pretty sure that cm14 with jit/aot on board and csk1jw regular kernel could be the more frugal CM ever seen on p880 (with 2 more years of monthly up-to-date cve bonus from Cyanogen).
Of course, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

fritzcola

Sep 27, 2014
Home of FCB
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I can see recent moves on github : android_device_lge_p880/mr_init_devices.c +/recovery ..
Does it mean, we can build a twrp with multirom & f2fs compatible with MM ( or even N) for primary rom?

Without your "compressed" magic twrp 2.8.6 multirom, I wouldn't have been able to build & test anything; I have an aosp7 ak kexeced kernel compatible with my cm12, and now I'm looking toward cm14/tree with awesome csk1jw' 100% generic kernel (~cm12+motorola/nougat upgrades). Unfortunately, I'm very new to tree stuff. Apparently google's move to jack & ninja don't change cm build behaviour (?). Also I don't get @alfsamsung changes on cm13/frameworks/av (with his uber euphoria kernel) and I have a broken CMmusic in my cm13 build.
I'm pretty sure that cm14 with jit/aot on board and csk1jw regular kernel could be the more frugal CM ever seen on p880 (with 2 more years of monthly up-to-date cve bonus from Cyanogen).

Nice to hear, that you like my work. Well the thing is, i'll get a new PC for christmas and i'll surely try to help you, cause i have more time lately, but keep in mind this isnt my main device anymore and i dont really have any benfit from building roms for it, but i'll surley will give it a try. The other thing is, i'm not sure wether i can test anything, cause my device doesnt seem to work anymore, but for that, i'll upload my stuff and you guys could try out.

Stay focused and wait to hear from me.
@oF2pks If you have any further question, pls hit me up via PM!

Salman Al-Badgail

Dec 2, 2015
Somewhere Near XDA Heaven
Nice to hear, that you like my work. Well the thing is, i'll get a new PC for christmas and i'll surely try to help you, cause i have more time lately, but keep in mind this isnt my main device anymore and i dont really have any benfit from building roms for it, but i'll surley will give it a try. The other thing is, i'm not sure wether i can test anything, cause my device doesnt seem to work anymore, but for that, i'll upload my stuff and you guys could try out.

Indeed we have always like your work and I even tried your blisspop v3.9 its very good and stable. Since its version is old, this is only the reason that no one is active on your thread, but again I tell you Thanks for developing ROMs. I thank everyone who had made p880 alive up till here.
:good:

Last edited:

Deena Khanam

Jan 15, 2016
Sana'aa
Indeed we have always like your work and I even tried your blisspop v3.9 its very good and stable. Since its version is old, this is only the reason that no one is active on your thread, but again I tell you Thanks for developing ROMs. I thank everyone who had made p880 alive up till here.
:good:
Good to see that he's back again. We have some hope. Thanks @oF2pks & @fritzcola

Last edited:

kessaras

Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Athens
www.audioshow.gr
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I am now able to run /cache and /data in f2fs under cm11 with root by adding a costum kernel.

You need to download the following:

TWRP_F2FS_2.7.1.0.zip:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzuptzl99odm86z/TWRP_F2FS_2.7.1.0.zip?dl=0
Edit: Better try TWRP_2.8.6 multi-ROM recovery:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23991606952608944

Latest CM11nightly:
https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=p880

Gapps (@Deltadroid 's base package for 4.4.4 (kitkat) definitely works):
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58047099&postcount=1

The aosp6 kernel - Thanks to @oF2pks !:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651429356503447
Thank him here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68114808&postcount=657

Now you have to:
1) Flash recovery
2) in recovery do
2.01) Complete wipe of everything (except external sd)
2.02) wipe -> advanced wipe -> select cache -> repair/change file system -> change file system -> f2fs -> swipe
2.03) wipe -> advanced wipe -> select data -> repair/change file system -> change file system -> f2fs -> swipe
2.04) format data
2.05) Reboot to recovery to verify that the file system is still in f2fs (check under repair/change file system but don't change it this time)
2.06) If file system is in f2fs everything went fine, if not give it another shot starting off with 2.01 again.
2.07) Under settings tick "use -rm instead of formatting"
2.08) flash ROM
2.09) flash Gapps
2.10) flash kernel (it should now say "Detected cache and data in F2FS" or something alike
2.11) reboot system
3) Before going through the setup wizard, you can check if everything worked using:
Code:
adb shell
cat /proc/self/mountinfo
Important: When wanting to enter recovery, don't use the physical vol- key, but instead enable advanced restart menu under developer settings or use adb:
Code:
adb shell setup-recovery
adb reboot
This is very important as you might lose your data and revert everything back to ext4 if you ignore this! (thanks to @csk1jw !)

Using this kernel you are also able to use ramexpander in order to create a swap file on your external sd (class 10 or higher recommended),
which by default isn't possible with the integrated cm11 kernel.
I let it choose the recommended values.

Making those changes everything's smooth as never before!

Please report if you get any errors or if it worked out as well for you as it did for me!

Phil your small guide is bad.
I got around a lot of problems until i figure it out and make it work.
Make a new thread only for this guide and write it with full instructions. This thread is history since some links are dead and the op isn't here to update it.
After formatting we have to reboot to recovery.
After this reboot we have to set rm instead of format in settings.
After flashing something we also have to reboot to recovery every single time, or twrp gives error.
Full steps are -> flash rom reboot to rec, flash gapps reboot to rec, flash kernel.

i used omni rom.
kernel in your link is great it works.
your choice of gapps is great , works.

iodak kernel sais it has support for f2fs but it gives black screen after we get to launcher.
iodak changed phone and mourta kept updating it, maybe mourta kernel still support f2fs ? if yes , then we can use cm12.1 too.

Lastly,
Thank you !!! your idea for f2fs is great. F2fs is the only thing that can give real life and speed to this old phone.
If this phone had a better camera, using f2fs, would even compare it with g2 or g3.

Phil_Smith

Oct 16, 2015
LG Optimus 4X HD
Xiaomi Mi 5
Phil your small guide is bad.
I got around a lot of problems until i figure it out and make it work.
No offence, but did you properly read it?
The solutions you describe are already mentioned, and the other problem did not apply to me, as I got it to work exactly the way I described it.

After formatting we have to reboot to recovery.
2.04) format data
2.05) Reboot to recovery to verify that the file system is still in f2fs (check under repair/change file system but don't change it this time)

After this reboot we have to set rm instead of format in settings.
2.06) If file system is in f2fs everything went fine, if not give it another shot starting off with 2.01 again.

After flashing something we also have to reboot to recovery every single time, or twrp gives error.
Full steps are -> flash rom reboot to rec, flash gapps reboot to rec, flash kernel.
This did not apply to me at all. I could install everything without a single reboot. Maybe you used the 2.8.6 twrp version and it doesn't work that well. Did you try 2.7.1?

Think your introduction is a little hard. Don't see this justified. Especially as you almost only mention steps as improvements that are already there.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 ----------

Non the less, thanks for your feedback.

Make a new thread only for this guide and write it with full instructions. This thread is history since some links are dead and the op isn't here to update it.

Will do!
If you disagree with my answer, and you think that the guide is really missing something, I'd appreciate it, if you answered back once more.
I will definitely describe your need to reboot in between all installations, as a thing that 'might happen' (if it doesn't turn out it's the twrp version).

Lastly,
Thank you !!! your idea for f2fs is great. F2fs is the only thing that can give real life and speed to this old phone.
If this phone had a better camera, using f2fs, would even compare it with g2 or g3.

Thanks for that!

Last edited:

kessaras

Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Athens
www.audioshow.gr
Google Pixel 8 Pro
No offence, but did you properly read it?
The solutions you describe are already mentioned, and the other problem did not apply to me, as I got it to work exactly the way I described it.

2.04) format data

This did not apply to me at all. I could install everything without a single reboot. Maybe you used the 2.8.6 twrp version and it doesn't work that well. Did you try 2.7.1?

Think your introduction is a little hard. Don't see this justified. Especially as you almost only mention steps as improvements that are already there.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 ----------

Non the less, thanks for your feedback.

Will do!
If you disagree with my answer, and you think that the guide is really missing something, I'd appreciate it, if you answered back once more.
I will definitely describe your need to reboot in between all installations, as a thing that 'might happen' (if it doesn't turn out it's the twrp version).

Thanks for that!

yea i saw that reboot to check if it is f2fs. the reason we must reboot was missing. i didn't reboot to check if it is f2fs of course because i trust the man who made it and the people who test it :D else someone would post that this doesn't work.
always write reason :D
anyway, omni is great on f2fs too. maybe with mourta kernel we can make it work on cm12.1 ;)

Phil_Smith

Oct 16, 2015
LG Optimus 4X HD
Xiaomi Mi 5
yea i saw that reboot to check if it is f2fs. the reason we must reboot was missing. i didn't reboot to check if it is f2fs of course because i trust the man who made it and the people who test it :D else someone would post that this doesn't work.
always write reason :D
anyway, omni is great on f2fs too. maybe with mourta kernel we can make it work on cm12.1 ;)

Well alright, I will change that in the new thread.
But surely you read over the "rm instead of format" part ;)
About the 'always reboot in between installations' thing - which of the two recoveries did you use? Was it the 2.8.6 version?

kessaras

Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Athens
www.audioshow.gr
Google Pixel 8 Pro
About the 'always reboot in between installations' thing - which of the two recoveries did you use? Was it the 2.8.6 version?

both are working. better suggest the 2.8.6 on the guide because it can flash images

Phil_Smith

Oct 16, 2015
LG Optimus 4X HD
Xiaomi Mi 5
both are working. better suggest the 2.8.6 on the guide because it can flash images

I know that both can identify f2fs and can format into f2fs.
The reason I'm asking is your need to reboot in between installations.

So, did you encounter the problem with installing multiple zips in both recoveries or only in the 2.8.6 version?
I myself, didn't have that problem with 2.7.1, but I didn't test with 2.8.6., so maybe the reason why you ended up thinking I missed that in my guide, is that you used a different twrp version for the installations.

Edit:
Now I remember that I did once install multiple zips under 2.8.6. with f2fs partitions with no reboot in between- and there was no problem.
That was when I flashed @oF2pks ' cm11 version.
Flashed the ROM, Gapps and the kernel with no reboot in between.
So, I don't need to reboot when flashing more than one thing in a row in either twrp version, as it seems...

Last edited:

oF2pks

May 22, 2016
IMHO, if you 're using twrp 2.7.1 yous should stay in that thread, and for 2.8.6 move to http://xdaforums.com/optimus-4x-hd/orig-development/mod-multirom-v32-t3116422 (and give proper thx to OP)
Not only due to respect' OP but also because you 'll get more help from other users or original OP.(Except dynamic Q/A.)
Also multiple visions always give better understanding to non-english users.
I don't remember if 2.7.1 is compatible with cm12, but I'll try to build a f2fs compatible cm12 for new year(if not already?). Actually cyospak6-7 anykernel is latest csk1jw' aosp7 = more f2fs upgrade : 0007-kernel-Moto-f2fs-for-Marshmallow-6.0.1.patch
(unmodified ak means I just extract zimage & lib/modules from original csk1jw' aosp6.zip).

Last edited:

kessaras

Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Athens
www.audioshow.gr
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I know that both can identify f2fs and can format into f2fs.
The reason I'm asking is your need to reboot in between installations.

So, did you encounter the problem with installing multiple zips in both recoveries or only in the 2.8.6 version?
I myself, didn't have that problem with 2.7.1, but I didn't test with 2.8.6., so maybe the reason why you ended up thinking I missed that in my guide, is that you used a different twrp version for the installations.

Edit:
Now I remember that I did once install multiple zips under 2.8.6. with f2fs partitions with no reboot in between- and there was no problem.
That was when I flashed @oF2pks ' cm11 version.
Flashed the ROM, Gapps and the kernel with no reboot in between.
So, I don't need to reboot when flashing more than one thing in a row in either twrp version, as it seems...

2.8.6 needs reboot every time too.
anyway. omni 4.4 was amazing. long time no see :)
it has everything we need. too many tweaks. new greenify works like doze too. thanks again for linking us to f2fs.
kernel is good too. here is a gift :p you can replace the old one that removes zram with this one. disable all tweaks for cpu etc you have and use this one, you will love it ;)
if you don't want to remove zram on boot, delete the 3 lines at the begining and set your swappiness at what you like.

unzip

Code:
adb root
adb remount
adb push <script> /system/etc/init.d/
permission 755
owner root
group shell
reboot

Attachments

• 98balanced.tar.gz
    954 bytes · Views: 13

b886b

Jan 22, 2012
@kessaras & @Phil_Smith, Just want to ask are u guys still rocking f2fs on 4x, and are u guys getting any improvement on the speed of the device by using f2fs??? I want to know because I have read all the pages of Nexus 7's official CM12 thread, the initial response of f2fs is great but the performance starts to degrade after long time usage. The user of Nexus 7 seems to have quite diverged views on the benefits of f2fs.... However, I saw on another thread the OP3T performs better just because they have f2fs.....

I am now on AOSP 6 on ext4 and I have decent experience on this rom, but like any other roms the performance has always been a problem after long time usage the device seems to have some memory management problem.... the launcher starts to redraw.....and the whole phone become sluggish.... So I would like to confirm with u guys that are u enjoying the whole f2fs experience???? And are u still on omni and cm11????

kessaras

Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Athens
www.audioshow.gr
Google Pixel 8 Pro
@kessaras & @Phil_Smith, Just want to ask are u guys still rocking f2fs on 4x, and are u guys getting any improvement on the speed of the device by using f2fs??? I want to know because I have read all the pages of Nexus 7's official CM12 thread, the initial response of f2fs is great but the performance starts to degrade after long time usage. The user of Nexus 7 seems to have quite diverged views on the benefits of f2fs.... However, I saw on another thread the OP3T performs better just because they have f2fs.....

I am now on AOSP 6 on ext4 and I have decent experience on this rom, but like any other roms the performance has always been a problem after long time usage the device seems to have some memory management problem.... the launcher starts to redraw.....and the whole phone become sluggish.... So I would like to confirm with u guys that are u enjoying the whole f2fs experience???? And are u still on omni and cm11????

i had the same problem thats why i went back to cm11 + f2fs.
we can also have cm12.1 + f2fs but that needs some digging and i don't have time, im on exams period.
performance is fine.
use the rom phil mentioned , or @oF2pks rom or omni and 2.8.6 twrp mentioned on previous pages and do just what we said. format , reboot to recovery, flash , reboot to rec, flash kernel reboot... etc. every time you flash something, reboot to rec.

Reactions: b886b

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright guys, as most of you most likely already noticed, we are preparing our device to run completely on F2FS. This task, however, needs some information and tools, which I will try to provide in this thread. It is WIP, so don't expect too much yet :p

First of all, we need a F2FS capable recovery. I have compiled both, CWM and TWRP, but CWM seems to have some issues, so please use TWRP for now ;)

The only ROM running on F2FS for now is our unofficial CM11, but I will update the following list as soon as I get to know about another ROM

• Unofficial CM11

To install a F2FS ROM coming from an ext4 filesystem (default), you have to do the following steps:
    0) make backups (including titanium backup)
    1) flash the F2FS TWRP recovery image
    2) manually format /system /data and /cache to F2FS (WARNING: internal sdcard will be wiped as well)
    3) flash the F2FS ROM
    4) flash GAPPS
    5) boot

Regarding custom kernels, if you don't use the default kernel, please don't make bug reports. If we know that the ROM and kernel are working properly, then we can go on. But for now, if you run into problems using a custom kernel, please keep it to yourself.

I assume you will want to restore your data after formatting to F2FS, but keep in mind that if you restore your /data partition via recovery, the old filesystem will be restored as well (ext4). This means, you cannot restore your old backup via recovery. However, if you have a Titanium Backup backup, you sure can restore this.

ROM devs
    In order to compile a flashable zip, the updater-script has to be altered. But don't worry, you don't have to do this manually :D I edited the script creating the updater-script and made a patch, which can be found in the 2nd post ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
    F2FS related tools/info/..., Tool/Utility for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Contributors
    laufersteppenwolf

Version Information

Created 2014-06-29
    Last Updated 2014-06-30
    Reserved

Updater-script patch:

The patch in the attachment patches the updater-script (generator) to be compatible with F2FS partitions (proper mounting and formatting).

Save it inside the build dir, then open a shell and cd to the correct path. Now run "git apply <patchname>.patch" and you're good to go ;)

Example:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/ROM_sources/CM11/build
    git apply F2FS_updater-script.patch
    cd ..

Every normal rom (ext4) can be installed with data or/and cache on f2fs. And you able to update or change rom without problems.