Unlock s4 for free with hidden options

Search This thread

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I used 3.07 to flash 5.01 and 4.4.2. For the modem, I used 3.10 because it was recommend in another post.

My instructions were for an xda member that was running stock Fido 5.01 firmware.

Edit: I was able to flash stock 4.4.2 with Odin from a custom rom without any errors.

Last edited:

arasarn

Oct 29, 2008
Ottawa
I used 3.07 to flash 5.01 and 4.4.2. For the modem, I used 3.10 because it was recommend in another post.

My instructions were for an xda member that was running stock Fido 5.01 firmware.

Edit: I was able to flash stock 4.4.2 with Odin from a custom rom without any errors.

I guess the lesson is, if the exact thing you try first doesn't work, try using a different tool to get the same job done.

The phone needs to be on 4.4.2 rom with 4.2.2 modem to run the regionlockaway.apk is what it boils down to. Thanks for creating the guide, it made it way easier for me to stick handle through the process

Reactions: audit13

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
@arasarn, Thank you for the kind words but I cannot take any credit for the guide as I just added some details to the original guide.

It's very true in that a method that works for one person may not work for everyone.

Zeus2008

Mar 7, 2016
Step 3 below, doesn't work for me - I hit the menu, then "BACK", then "KEY INPUT" then entered "1" - hit menu again, then "BACK" but did not get the ServiceMode menu

Mobile Device = Samsung Galaxy S4 Model # SGH-1337M
Network = Rogers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1: Launch the Phone app on your Galaxy S4, and dial in: *#0011#

Step 2: Press the Menu button followed by the Back key. Then, hit the Menu button again and select KEY INPUT. Enter 1 and press the OK button to enter ServiceMode.

Step 3: Press Menu one more time and tap back again. This will pull up the Main Menu for ServiceMode. Tap [1] UMTS.

Step 4: Now select [1]DEBUG SCREEN, followed by [6] PHONE CONTROL.

Step 5: From the next screen, pick [6] NETWORK LOCK.

Step 6: You’ll get three options. Hit the one that says [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF.

Step 7: Now, you need to get back to Main Menu. To do this, hit the Menu button followed by the Back key. In Main Menu, now pick [6]COMMON, and then [6] NV REBUILD.

Step 8: The phone will tell you that a Golden Backup exists. Tap [4] Restore Back-up.

Your device will now go through a series of “conditions”, where it will first freeze, then get on a black screen with Blue LED on and both capacitive buttons on, after which it will reboot automatically. The whole cycle might take a couple of minutes, so be patient. Once it powers back on, it’s network unlocked, permanently. Enjoy Folks ...[/QUOTE]

utsc

Aug 20, 2011
:rolleyes:
Download the stock Fido 4.4.2 from: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/36977/I337MVLUFNI2_I337MOYAFNI2_FMC/

Download stock Fido 5.01 from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/54721/I337MVLUGOH1_I337MOYAGOH1_FMC/

Download Odin 3.07 from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421

Download Odin 3.10.7 from here: http://odindownloadxda.com/

Link to i337m 4.2.2 modem file: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63003693&postcount=75

Link to supersu.zip: https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/

The first two files may take a while to download but it is a good idea to have a copy of these files for future use. The firmware files are in a zip format and they should be unzipped only once to produce a tar.md5 file.

Note this will trip the Knox counter from 0 to 1 and void your warranty.

Before flashing, make sure you backup all important files BEFORE flashing anything.

Flash stock 4.4.2 as follows:
  1. Open Odin 3.07, uncheck everything except f.reset time;
  2. click on PDA in Odin and browse to the tar.md5 file for stock 4.4.2;
  3. put the phone into download mode and connect it to the computer via USB cable (I recommend using the USB cable that came with the phone and a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0 port);
  4. flash the firmware;
  5. when you see the word "reset" in the status window, remove the USB cable from the phone, remove the battery, wait 5 seconds, replace the battery; and
  6. use the home, volume up, power button combination to boot into recovery, wipe data, wipe cache, reboot.
The phone should now be running a stock 4.4.2 ROM.

How to install TWRP and root the phone:
  1. copy supersu.zip and regionlockaway.apk files to the phone's internal memory or a micro sd card (the micro sd card should be in the phone before after powering up the phone with the 4.2.2 modem);
  2. power off the phone;
  3. Open Odin 3.07, uncheck everything except f.reset time;
  4. click on PDA in Odin and browse to the tar file for TWRP;
  5. put the phone into download mode and connect it to the computer via USB cable (I recommend using the USB cable that came with the phone and a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0 port);
  6. flash TWRP;
  7. when you see the word "reset" in the status window, remove the USB cable from the phone, remove the battery, wait 5 seconds, replace the battery; and
  8. use the home, volume up, power button combination to boot into recovery which should now be TWRP;
  9. flash supersu.zip from twrp;
  10. reboot the phone and allow supersu to update and disable knox;
  11. go into the phone's security settings and enable the installation of apk files from unknown sources;
  12. power off the phone.

How to flash the 4.2.2 modem and sim unlock the phone:
  1. power off the phone;
  2. Open Odin 3.10.7, uncheck everything except auto reboot and f.reset time;
  3. click on CP in Odin and browse to the modem.bin file (changing the file name may cause Odin to fail, thanks to @droiduzr2 for this hint);
  4. put the phone into download mode and connect it to the computer via USB cable (I recommend using the USB cable that came with the phone and a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0 port);
  5. flash the modem;
  6. when the phone is booted, locate the regionlockaway.apk file, install and run it (this will remove the sim lock);
  7. power off the phone.

I have completed upto the above step. When I put a another SIM it says Invalid SIM and is asking for the unlock Key.

I think I must have made a small mistake somewhere but I am not sure where?

My Fido S4 SGH-I337M is currently on Android on Android 4.4.2.
I have installed the TWRP

Then I installed the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip (that is what I get when I click the download Link).

I have installed the Modem BIN file using ODIN 3.10.7 and I got a message in Green saying "PASS"

I have installed the regionlockaway.apk and I have opened it. However when I open it I don't get any unlock confirmation message but only get a message saying to support them by purchasing the app at GooglePlay

Can someone help me to identify / trouble shoot any possible mistakes?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Did you test the sim with the 4.2.2 modem? You need to flash back to stock 4.4.2 or 5.01, then try the sim.

There is no confirmation the phone is sim unlocked.

If you put in a foreign sim, you should not be prompted to enter a network unlock code.

Last edited:
Reactions: utsc

utsc

Aug 20, 2011
Although I "opened" RegionLockAway App and I did NOT TAP on the Region Lock Away Button.

I tap the region lock away section and my phone is unlocked now.

Thank you audit13 for compiling such a detailed guide and support.

My Fido S4 SGH-I337M is currently on Android on Android 4.4.2 should I upgrade it to 5.01 or any other ROM. Is it possible to flash this with an Internation Version Firmware as I am planning to gift this phone to be used in India. A

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I recommend flashing back to 5.01. Check the frequencies for the carrier before sending the phone away.

utsc

Aug 20, 2011
Anyone tried installing the Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM by the JDC Team (Jflte DevConnection Team) for the Galaxy S4. Apparently it is compatible with ALL US & Canadian Models

I hate the bloatware. What alternatives do I have instead of flashing back to Fido 5.01 ROM.

Any other stable / reliable alternative to Fido 5.01 ROM

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Flashing back to stock will not keep root. If you want a rooted stock rom, use Odin to flash stock, perform a factory wipe before booting 5.01 for the first time, quickly run through the setup routine, flash twrp, flash supersu, reboot, update supersu binaries, and you'll be rooted. If you want root with stock recovery, flash cfautoroot for the sgh-i337m from chainfire website.

utsc

Aug 20, 2011
Flashing back to stock will not keep root. If you want a rooted stock rom, use Odin to flash stock, perform a factory wipe before booting 5.01 for the first time, quickly run through the setup routine, flash twrp, flash supersu, reboot, update supersu binaries, and you'll be rooted. If you want root with stock recovery, flash cfautoroot for the sgh-i337m from chainfire website.

Thank you. I am planing to go stock 5.01.

Do you recommend flashing with [SGH-I337M] Lollipop Official Firmware + Modem? What are the benefits?
Since I have Fido SGH-I337M I should be going with the Rogers version.
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-att/general/sgh-i337m-canadian-stock-official-t3082758

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I always run the latest bootloader and modem and many custom ROMs require both to be up to date.

You can flash any of the stock 5.01 ROMs from Telus, Koodo, bell, virgin, Rogers, or Fido.

flyologist

Mar 28, 2013
Toronto
Download the stock Fido 4.4.2 from: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/36977/I337MVLUFNI2_I337MOYAFNI2_FMC/

Download stock Fido 5.01 from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/54721/I337MVLUGOH1_I337MOYAGOH1_FMC/

Download Odin 3.07 from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421

Link to i337m 4.2.2 modem file: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63003693&postcount=75

The first two files may take a while to download but it is a good idea to have a copy of these files for future use. The firmware files are in a zip format and they should be unzipped only once to produce a tar.md5 file.

Before flashing, make sure you backup all important files BEFORE flashing anything.

3. put the phone into download mode and connect it to the computer via USB cable (I recommend using the USB cable that came with the phone and a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0 port);
  4. flash the firmware;
  5. when you see the word "reset" in the status window, remove the USB cable from the phone, remove the battery, wait 5 seconds, replace the battery; and
  6. use the home, volume up, power button combination to boot into recovery, wipe data, wipe cache, reboot.

1. copy supersu.zip and regionlockaway.apk files to the phone's internal memory or a micro sd card (the micro sd card should be in the phone before after powering up the phone with the 4.2.2 modem);
  2. power off the phone;
  5. put the phone into download mode and connect it to the computer via USB cable (I recommend using the USB cable that came with the phone and a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0 port);
  6. flash TWRP;
  7. when you see the word "reset" in the status window, remove the USB cable from the phone, remove the battery, wait 5 seconds, replace the battery; and
  8. use the home, volume up, power button combination to boot into recovery which should now be TWRP;
  11. go into the phone's security settings and enable the installation of apk files from unknown sources;
  12. power off the phone.

1. power off the phone;
  3. click on CP in Odin and browse to the modem.bin file (changing the file name may cause Odin to fail, thanks to @droiduzr2 for this hint);
  4. put the phone into download mode and connect it to the computer via USB cable (I recommend using the USB cable that came with the phone and a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0 port);
  5. flash the modem;
  6. when the phone is booted, locate the regionlockaway.apk file, install and run it (this will remove the sim lock);
  7. power off the phone.

Before flashing back to stock 5.01, power off the phone, insert a sim card that was not issued by the carrier to whom the phone was locked, and power up the phone. If you see a prompt for a network unlock code, the phone is still sim locked. If the phone does not ask for the network unlock code, the phone should be permanently sim unlocked.

How to flash back to 5.01:
  2. click on PDA in Odin and browse to the tar.md5 file for stock 5.01;
  4. flash the firmware;
The phone should now be running a stock 5.01 ROM.

Thank you for this Audit, I have question though I did this and it's not asking me for the code anymore and I see (wind away) when i try to to look up the network manually and when i try to connect to it, it says unable to register with network and whenever I try to make a call I get a not registered sim error,
Did I do something wrong ?

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If you are not prompted for a code anymore with your Wind sim in the phone, the phone is unlocked. The i337m does not natively support Wind's aws frequencies. You need to enable it via software hack and this may help: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2291589

I use Bell as my carrier so I am not able to confirm if the linked thread is still relevant.

ocd_amp

May 28, 2014
do not do this. This guy provides no proof how or why. This is diagnostic mode and should be set to 1 - USB (Incase you take it to a Certified shop that unlocks phones, they will use USB first, and then any other boxes incase it is required) and the star means what is currently selected. It has nothing what so ever to do with network unlock.

Edit : DM/DUN over HSIC means its over High speed Internet Connection as opposed to USB. This is generally used by Samsung tools or related servers to provide the unlock mechanism over an internet connection.

hey guys! So for anyone having "not registered to network" issues i hope this might help.. I am posting this here as it is the closest thread i could find quick. I unlocked my phone through hidden menu as well. But a couple months after having working servicd through new carrier my phone disconected outta the blue.. Figured it was a sim error ie. Faulty.. Turns out one of my settings i missed was wrong. What a nightmare! Anyways.... After selecting these settings, phone reboots and "boom" network service up n connected!!

Once your in service menu via. *#0011#-back key - select imput q000.
#1. Umts
#6.common
#4.diag config
(#2.dm/dun over hsic + #5.dbg msg. "on")

after selecting phone restaert n service good.. Hope i help someone as one lil miss gave me a heck of a time.. Take care
sent from my sgh-1773m

Last edited:

ammour444

Sep 30, 2009
GB
meettomy.site

4. flash the firmware;

2. power off the phone;
  6. flash TWRP;
  12. power off the phone.

1. power off the phone;
  5. flash the modem;
  7. power off the phone.

Before flashing back to stock 5.01, power off the phone, insert a sim card that was not issued by the carrier to whom the phone was locked, and power up the phone. If you see a prompt for a network unlock code, the phone is still sim locked. If the phone does not ask for the network unlock code, the phone should be permanently sim unlocked.

4. flash the firmware;

Man you are genious!! Thanks bro I appreciate it a lot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After samsung blocked the hidden service menu unlock for s4 i am bit worried .but today i found out new process to unlock for free in a website

Step 1: Launch the Phone app on your Galaxy S4, and dial in: *#0011#

Step 2: Press the Menu button followed by the Back key. Then, hit the Menu button again and select KEY INPUT. Enter 1 and press the OK button to enter ServiceMode.

Step 3: Press Menu one more time and tap back again. This will pull up the Main Menu for ServiceMode. Tap [1] UMTS.

Step 4: Now select [1]DEBUG SCREEN, followed by [6] PHONE CONTROL.

Step 5: From the next screen, pick [6] NETWORK LOCK.

Step 6: You’ll get three options. Hit the one that says [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF.

Step 7: Now, you need to get back to Main Menu. To do this, hit the Menu button followed by the Back key. In Main Menu, now pick [6]COMMON, and then [6] NV REBUILD.

Step 8: The phone will tell you that a Golden Backup exists. Tap [4] Restore Back-up.

Your device will now go through a series of “conditions”, where it will first freeze, then get on a black screen with Blue LED on and both capacitive buttons on, after which it will reboot automatically. The whole cycle might take a couple of minutes, so be patient. Once it powers back on, it’s network unlocked, permanently. Enjoy Folks ...
    i337m: How to sim unlock, install TWRP, and root a stock ROM

4. flash the firmware;

2. power off the phone;
    6. flash TWRP;
    12. power off the phone.

1. power off the phone;
    5. flash the modem;
    7. power off the phone.

4. flash the firmware;
    By trying it haha

Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda premium
    No option 6 under step 7, so it is not working for ATT S4

I already unlocked it using that process. ;)
    Don't be so pessimistic, check out his thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42955834#post42955834. There are solutions.

confirmed fix when codes arent working. it literally fetches the code or something it was the most legit thing ive seen.buy for 15$ plug in and run the program and in 30s ur phone is unlocked....couldnt be any easier.

thats so much for the heads up