By scandiun, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 24th November 2012, 09:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st November 2016, 03:54 AM |#151  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

Flashing a new firmware does not necessarily wipe data. In fact, I had the Galaxy S2 and the S4 and using CF-root does not delete anything.

I don't think chainfire's root was a whole new firmware, but maybe I'm misremembering. But that specific root method *is* a completely new firmware, and it wipes everything. I used it on my first note 7, before the first recall.
Thanks again tho!

1st November 2016, 01:36 PM |#152  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 911

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldc

I don't think chainfire's root was a whole new firmware, but maybe I'm misremembering. But that specific root method *is* a completely new firmware, and it wipes everything. I used it on my first note 7, before the first recall.
Thanks again tho!

Some manufacturers like Sony or LG have their own backup application, if Samsung has it too you can give it a try, but it may be just a variant of adb backup. Check before deleting if it restores properly on another device.

Anyway, I don't understand why you can't backup the messages to unencrypted and restore on another device and encrypt again. Also, you can extract, decompile and recompile the apk once you edit the AndroidManifest.xml, and the app supposedly will work with the backup feature, but requires a little bit of hacking.

I am also curious if this app will be backed up properly on iOS with its data and everything (from my understanding iTunes allows yuu to backup just everything the same exact way you have it). The backup feature on android is pretty incomplete.

In any case, when you want to use the backup feature in the future check that it works as you want it before diving in.

https://www.niih.de/android-allowbackup-false/
The Following User Says Thank You to scandiun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scandiun Ad-Free
1st November 2016, 08:04 PM |#153  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:

Some manufacturers like Sony or LG have their own backup application, if Samsung has it too you can give it a try, but it may be just a variant of adb backup. Check before deleting if it restores properly on another device.

Anyway, I don't understand why you can't backup the messages to unencrypted and restore on another device and encrypt again. Also, you can extract, decompile and recompile the apk once you edit the AndroidManifest.xml, and the app supposedly will work with the backup feature, but requires a little bit of hacking.

I am also curious if this app will be backed up properly on iOS with its data and everything (from my understanding iTunes allows yuu to backup just everything the same exact way you have it). The backup feature on android is pretty incomplete.

In any case, when you want to use the backup feature in the future check that it works as you want it before diving in.

https://www.niih.de/android-allowbackup-false/

I can't backup unencrypted because I have identifiable third party data, and storing it unencrypted is a violation of professional ethics.

The Samsung and LG backups doesn't transfer it either, I tried.

I'll look into extracting, editing, and recompiling it. If I sideload, maybe it'll accept it as an update and then let the backup work. Thanks!
1st November 2016, 08:13 PM |#154  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldc

I can't backup unencrypted because I have identifiable third party data, and storing it unencrypted is a violation of professional ethics.

The Samsung and LG backups doesn't transfer it either, I tried.

I'll look into extracting, editing, and recompiling it. If I sideload, maybe it'll accept it as an update and then let the backup work. Thanks!

You can create a VeraCrypt volume on android, and export the plaintext backup to that volume. The veracrypt volume will be encrypted with the password/key of your choice.

In case you want to use Signal, I've modified successfully the AndroidManifest.xml of the apk to allow adb backup. I made an adb backup of org.thoughtcrime.securesms, uninstalled the application and restored the backup to check, and it works. I'll probably make shortly a simple guide about how to edit and recompile an apk. The downside of this, is that you can't overwrite your current installation because the signing key is different, so it will work from the new messages. You can export in plain text to a veracrypt volume, install the patched apk and import again the messages, and then you can use adb backup successfully. You can take screenshots too, but they will be stored first in a different location.

Also, instead of modifying the apk, you can compile directly from source with the AndroidManifest.xml already modified:
https://github.com/WhisperSystems/Si...om-the-sources

Here is EDS (Encrypted Data Store) for android.
16th January 2017, 01:10 PM |#155  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
This is amazing! Thank you, I couldn't have done it otherwise.

I used it to cheat at Disney's Enchanted Tales on my wife's non-rooted phone. No need to pay money for microtransactions anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dakkaron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dakkaron Ad-Free
9th March 2017, 10:09 PM |#156  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi guys, I have a backup made with cwm of my note 1 and backup of viber made with titanium.
I need import on my s6 edge viber chat but I would no root my s6, that it's still under warranty.

All your step by step tutorial is too much high level for my skill.
From what I understood the first part I can jump cause I have tar file made with back up by cwm.
I tried extract with 7z the viber folder, overwrite on s6, but obviously doesn't work.

Can you suggest a simpler way? I tried read many times the tutorial, but it's really difficult for me

Many thanks to all and sorry for my bad English

Ale
10th March 2017, 06:55 PM |#157  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alechef

Hi guys, I have a backup made with cwm of my note 1 and backup of viber made with titanium.
I need import on my s6 edge viber chat but I would no root my s6, that it's still under warranty.

All your step by step tutorial is too much high level for my skill.
From what I understood the first part I can jump cause I have tar file made with back up by cwm.
I tried extract with 7z the viber folder, overwrite on s6, but obviously doesn't work.

Can you suggest a simpler way? I tried read many times the tutorial, but it's really difficult for me

Many thanks to all and sorry for my bad English

Ale

Without root you can't restore those files. You should have used adb backup for that purpose and check that the restore works properly before wiping the old device.
10th March 2017, 08:51 PM |#158  

More
Quote:

Without root you can't restore those files. You should have used adb backup for that purpose and check that the restore works properly before wiping the old device.

Thanks for your answer.
You mean that the backup I did on my death note 1 is different from the one I could do with adb?
I would like avoid root my s6 edge still in warranty only to restore viber msg.
I hope I have other solutions

Thanks
Ale
10th March 2017, 11:37 PM |#159  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alechef

Thanks for your answer.
You mean that the backup I did on my death note 1 is different from the one I could do with adb?
I would like avoid root my s6 edge still in warranty only to restore viber msg.
I hope I have other solutions

Thanks
Ale

adb backup and cwm are totally different backup methods and not compatible. I don't know how you can convert one to another but surely it's very difficult. CWM and TWRP always require that origin and destination phones are rooted.
5th June 2017, 09:05 PM |#160  

More
Quote:

adb backup and cwm are totally different backup methods and not compatible. I don't know how you can convert one to another but surely it's very difficult. CWM and TWRP always require that origin and destination phones are rooted.

Hello, i wanted to ask i got backup.ab and wanted to restore it, is it possible to restore from backup.ab created from lollipop os to marshmallow os? Will my data on marshmallow phone be overwrited? sorry for my bad english, thanks.
26th June 2017, 10:14 AM |#161  

More
Hey guys,
i did a full backup with this tool:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ol-pc-t3572241
I thought it is only a CMD "script" for excecuting adb commands.
I saved the backup file to my PC, but the recovery fails.
There might be something wrong with my system partition.
Now i am trying to extract the full backup, but it seems to be a different file format.
the header is not the same as usual for adb-backups.
look at the debug info:
java -jar abe.jar -debug info "backup file"
Strong AES encryption not allowed
Magic: TWRP twstreamheader ♦ ☺ 5áíF

TWRP twfilename ñ? ☺ þ
é-í/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/d63f4797/2014-10-17--15-11-03_KOT49H.N900TUVUCNB4/
system.ext4.win

TWRP t
wdatablock DÝíº

ì¼♣\?Û¶(¾hIén$♦éî??î►é♫éF?♫◄♂I¥¤»A→ i??îN☺)?7↨º÷v{ö9
gßû¿÷½ÿûÝ7÷▲ëûÆ?1Ç∟=A▬«±?‼+ä¿·±±q±ñrs?çUûõÉÆÆÃ☺açà àaãáææä?Îcgãæb?xþ7óuÕÜ\\??))!Î
??®ÿjÞ¿←ÿ¿´q³QªÉj°¸??º9[»z?↨;k7Oa7☺G‼←sSW#g☺↨/↨Ws{#♂k;s☺↨6?ÿÓ∟ÿ¿ö_ÙXÿÿàÿàýWÿç☻Oî
ÿf¾®Úÿpÿ¿Ò¿¸?????♂ Kk↨▬c'ÛÿÒ=?:Ùx¸¸þ]üçåáááåf¿Ò?0?ÿ↨ÿÿw´ÿ↨ÿÿg·ÿÓþÏÎÅËÍÅÉö?þ☼↔ÿ/å
☻?¹♣Þc¯Á?ϯBØÂé´??¸?çøV²?♠?öEÓ>%??'¢?T&â?¬Û?*·Jdîã ?Û0é5¯4?ÊÓ¬cN©►ß°¥Pkëp?1Ü←Kwð(
?*L¡®@↓ÊÅÍx↓Ú©u?M∟F∟↨»??20h??_ÐÒ_n?®©§-hg?³gòdú,ù¬~æì|ºûÞ?▲z ãY> rpËý?öx¯
↕?Ôì?∟?58H|ØûùæTʸî²ÒÒ ?TÍÆ
Version: Ù←-ÓÙoÞ<è?FîíÏ5Ö]oÞÞÞÖ¯´??Ï4)!Ì?!ì↔S½¯?£Á↑+←Ö☼⌂|vf*ÊÉÉihhè±3?þ☻♠?◄? N'È←
+«¡ª→È?-E?õ*ýFB:☻?þ*rNfy9??HÃ?7?∟∟jGqÂ>_Û::ô??mlm-ûS
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoa der.main(JarRsrcLoa
der.java:58)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For inpu
t string: "Ù←-ÓÙoÞ<è?FîíÏ5Ö]oÞÞÞÖ¯´??Ï4)!Ì?!ì↔S½¯?£Á↑+←Ö☼⌂|vf*ÊÉÉihhè±3?þ☻♠?◄? N'
È←+«¡ª→È?-E?õ*ýFB:☻?þ*rNfy9??HÃ?7?∟∟jGqÂ>_Û::ô??mlm-ûS"
at org.nick.abe.AndroidBackup.infoBackup(AndroidBacku p.java:260)
at org.nick.abe.Main.main(Main.java:103)
... 5 more
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Ù←-ÓÙoÞ<è?FîíÏ5Ö]
oÞÞÞÖ¯´??Ï4)!Ì?!ì↔S½¯?£Á↑+←Ö☼⌂|vf*ÊÉÉihhè±3?þ☻♠?◄? N'È←+«¡ª→È?-E?õ*ýFB:☻?þ*rNfy9?
?HÃ?7?∟∟jGqÂ>_Û::ô??mlm-ûS"
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unk nown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
at org.nick.abe.AndroidBackup.infoBackup(AndroidBacku p.java:121)
... 6 more

i cant extract this file with abe.jar.

thanks for your help
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread