[ACTION!] Request root for Fire HD 8 (6th Gen 2016)

Search This thread

chemie99

Dec 26, 2015
I downloaded the fresh version of Kingroot for PC from kingroot.net. Ran it couple times on 5.3.2.1. Nope, did not work. I know that guy has 5.3.1.1, still wanted to try. Good news is though, I believe it told me in Chinese that we already have 129 requests to root.

Perhaps you missed the detail that I missed....
kingoroot (not king-root). The "o" matters. (kingoapp.com vs kingroot.net)

bonacker

Oct 3, 2016
I got a Fire HD8, 6th Gen. around Christmas. It was on 5.3.1.0. I haven't turned on WiFi, because I think 5.3.1.0 may be a good version for rooting. The Fire 7" 5th gen. is supposed to be able to be rooted if the device is on 5.3.1.0.

I would like to know if the HD8 6th gen and 7" 5th gen. are identical for rooting/ downgrading etc. if they are running the exact same firmware.

When I read the YouTube comments for the several of Rootjunky's rooting vids for the 7" 5th gen., I see so may rooting failures and brickings that I am very hesitant to try anything. I can't decide whether the high rate of failures in those YT comments are due to many of the would be rooters not knowing much about what they're doing or whether Rootjunky's "supertool" is flawed and dangerous.

chemie99

Dec 26, 2015
I got a Fire HD8, 6th Gen. around Christmas. It was on 5.3.1.0. I haven't turned on WiFi, because I think 5.3.1.0 may be a good version for rooting. The Fire 7" 5th gen. is supposed to be able to be rooted if the device is on 5.3.1.0.

I would like to know if the HD8 6th gen and 7" 5th gen. are identical for rooting/ downgrading etc. if they are running the exact same firmware.

When I read the YouTube comments for the several of Rootjunky's rooting vids for the 7" 5th gen., I see so may rooting failures and brickings that I am very hesitant to try anything. I can't decide whether the high rate of failures in those YT comments are due to many of the would be rooters not knowing much about what they're doing or whether Rootjunky's "supertool" is flawed and dangerous.

Rootjunky's supertool works for 7" and only 7" for rooting (some of the other things sometimes work of other devices). For example, I rooted a 7" with 5.3.1 this Dec using his tool (however, I think think the newer firmware is no longer rootable)

The 2015 HD8 is rootable on some firmware versions.

As of this Saturday, using a different method than rootjunky, you can root the 2016 HG8"/10" on 5.3.1 and 5.3.1.1.

If you know what you are doing, little risk. If you don't you can brick. Most bricks happen by downgrading too far.

For me, rooting 7" was needed to run Link2SD which you need since it only has 8GB.
The 8" had 16GB so less of an issue but I hated the firelauncher and the work arounds were clunky. Both are now rooted. One with custom ROM and one with OTA disabled and nova launcher, titanium backup and Link2SD all running with root access.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6200352

Thank u, and we cant downgrade from 5.3.2.1 to 5.3.1 too, right?
Maybe i should wait a new method.

That would be your best bet. There are a Ginormous amount of talented and clever developers/hackers/deities on here.

<and Ninjas..but you will never see them.--Ninja Vanish!-->

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ShmilyGone

critofur

Jan 21, 2011
NYC/Tokyo
Amazon Tech Support offered to send me a replacement Kindle Fire HD 8 (I have to send back the old one first) with 5.3.1.1 OS on it.

Can someone confirm superuser/su works and is persistent after rebooting?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have Fire HD 8 6th Generation (2016)? Do you want it rooted? Request it then!

This is how to do it:

1) Download KingRoot. The version for PC is Chinese only. For English, get APK file. Very detailed instructions are here: http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/one-click-root-tool-android-2-x-5-0-t3107461 . Download APK file directly to the device for easier installation.

2) Install KingRoot. Can be done by tapping the APK file on the device. Watch for error message: "Installation blocked". Tap "More details", then tap "Install anyway (unsafe)".

3) Run KingRoot. Tap "Try it" button, let it work. Then tap "Try Root", and let it work again. There will be "Failed to Root" message after that. You will also see how many requests to root have already been received. Please note it down. We need more!

4) Request root for your device! Tap "Submit request" link at the bottom of the app. This will add your vote, and hopefully will help getting root faster.

5) Post below when you did it, to encourage other people to do the same. Please also post the current number of requests, to help keep track of our progress.

Do it now!

All the above is very easy to do, and should take 5-10 minutes tops. If everyone coming here for root does that, the chances are we will get KingRoot's attention and actually get root.

P.S. Big thank you goes to Ayredfr for the idea: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70198709&postcount=109 .
    I've always felt uneasy about "one click root" software, this just reinforces it for me. Why does it need to flow internet traffic to unknown servers to keep the root active?at all times?Why so many permissions?

https://www.quora.com/Is-KingRoot-the-one-tap-Chinese-rooting-app-legit-and-safe

Rooting the fire with kingroot will be definitly an open door to install a custom rom. I think that's what everybody wants.
    Just did it, let's get the root that we deserve! ;)
    Tried 50 times over the past month. Hope root comes soon.
    D
    Deleted member 6200352
    Thank u, and we cant downgrade from 5.3.2.1 to 5.3.1 too, right?
    Maybe i should wait a new method.

That would be your best bet. There are a Ginormous amount of talented and clever developers/hackers/deities on here.

<and Ninjas..but you will never see them.--Ninja Vanish!-->