[HOWTO] Fixing “Insufficient storage available” errors on Android 4.2 and above

Search This thread

Incarnadin

Jul 16, 2014
You must search your own memory for what was the last thing you messed with for instance. In my case, it was a remaining folder from "WeChat" which I've turned from system to user app and eventually get rid of, since I had no use for it. Deleted that folder named "winix" starting from the inside. Problem solved. Thanks a lot :thumbup:

haha in other words, I'm screwed. I was moving cross country about a month ago when this started. At first I assumed I really was out of space and was too busy/stressed to deal with it so I just left it a few weeks. I guess I could try to do it with all of the apps I've used in the last month starting with the ones I won't mind losing too much. I really don't want to do a factory restore but it looks like that's where this is headed.

Der_Clown

Oct 3, 2011
Kirovohrad
down-cinema.com
Hi,
this is a problem i encountered many times after (a while) i updated my phone to 4.2.2 (cannot install/update any app.apk file outside the playstore and there is this famous "Insufficient storage available" error which cant solved by wiping cache and dalvik cache).

And after some investigation i noticed that since android 4.2, google create a new lib folder for the apps in "/data called /data/app-lib/" and there is a symlink from "/data/data/APP-PATH/lib" to this folder which is the most culpable of this error.

So to avoid this kind of error:

1. go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)/lib" and delete.
2. install/update the apk app.
3. if not work go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)" and delete all the folder (but you must begin by their sub-folder then the folder itself, because you cant delete the folder of this APP-PATH directly without deleting their sub-folder first.

i hope, i helped some of you guys that you have this erroneous and overstressed error.

This folder has not exist. I have data/
or /app/
or /app-asec/ - empty folder
or /app-private/ - empty folder
or /data/

Ponraj007

Mar 3, 2015
Hi,
this is a problem i encountered many times after (a while) i updated my phone to 4.2.2 (cannot install/update any app.apk file outside the playstore and there is this famous "Insufficient storage available" error which cant solved by wiping cache and dalvik cache).

And after some investigation i noticed that since android 4.2, google create a new lib folder for the apps in "/data called /data/app-lib/" and there is a symlink from "/data/data/APP-PATH/lib" to this folder which is the most culpable of this error.

3. if not work go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)" and delete all the folder (but you must begin by their sub-folder then the folder itself, because you cant delete the folder of this APP-PATH directly without deleting their sub-folder first.

i hope, i helped some of you guys that you have this erroneous and overstressed error.

I'm on pre-rooted ROM for Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2 -- GT-S7582;
I had bricked some of my apps by partially Moving them to SD and Linking the remaining files to SD..
I was unable to update/uninstall/reinstall those apps.

Then followed your method; Found the files at /data/data/APP-PATH
Thanx a ton!! I was really stressed out, as I couldnt find a solution even after posting in another forum.. Thanks, Thanks again :good:

peter19220

Sep 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Guys please help a desperate guy (me) who tried to solve this problem fore more than a day already...:crying:
I have my Nexus 7 2013 device and I found that I can't update apps.
It's funny because I can update some apps but not other ( say I can't update Chrome but I can update any.do)
I can download some app but not
...................................................................... WAIT WHAT?!
I FINALLY SOLVED THIS PROBLEM!!!!
I simply downloaded LINK2SD and set the install location to AUTO and restarted my tablet. Then YEAHHH!! problem solved!
At first I thought I didn't have an external SD card so I didn't try. But as I was so desperate, I tried it anyway and it WORKED!
Please give it a try if you are like me, whose device doesn't have an external SD card.

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions along the way!

gbossley

Jan 8, 2013
Peter19220 - I paid the (I think) $2.00 to buy the pro version of LINK2SD, thinking it would be another failed attempt - WIN!

I had multiple apps that could not be updated, they are now all updating thanks to your suggestion - this app worked! (The alternatives were either unsuccessful, or too complicated for me -this app did the trick.)

The other thing this app is good for is to distribute data per app to the SD card - lowers the burden on internal memory which is good in an era when no apps can be run off the SD card.

Last edited:

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
[snip]
I simply downloaded LINK2SD and set the install location to AUTO and restarted my tablet. Then YEAHHH!! problem solved!
At first I thought I didn't have an external SD card so I didn't try. But as I was so desperate, I tried it anyway and it WORKED!
Please give it a try if you are like me, whose device doesn't have an external SD card.

This worked for me. I had looked over this option because my phone has no SD card slot. Worked like a charm though, got the pro version, clicked AUTO for install location, and rebooted.

Reactions: BMcDoh

Takisxx

Sep 13, 2009
Hi,

the problem is on my DATA ap-lib folder there is no folders... and i cant fix Insufficient Storage .
why i dont have folders in data ap-lib?? plz anyone help me?

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
the problem is on my DATA ap-lib folder there is no folders... and i cant fix Insufficient Storage .
why i dont have folders in data ap-lib?? plz anyone help me?

OK you all. . . tried that but it didn't work for me either.

BUT.... Back when I had another phone, an LG F6 with same ignorant insufficient Storage, garbage.
(Ignorant means = means manufacture IGNORES users, to busy counting our money,)

And when we who were getting that. . . . "don't want buyers to get OUTSIDE applications," storage error, had to rely on the best forum in the net.
THIS ONE!

I found that backing up my stuff went to Recovery and did a Full Backup!
And than copied my apps and data with My Backup (free) or My Backup Root (free) than doing the TWO (2) Factory resets, back to back, and "wiping cache and dalvik cache," after each RESET, fixed the problem that I was having.

And that worked for me...on my 4.4.2 Stock Rom also!

That also worked on my S3 Stock 4.4.2 At$t Rom when things started to get real googirl goofy .

I'm also using another FREE apk called "Shredder Standard," used to "wipe" unused space on the internal storage,
I didn't get that either from googirl play, since I don't go there what so ever,

And I have ALL googirl play stuff copied and MOVED to a folder in my extSD Card.
That took many trials, and factory resets and a couple of Factory Re-installs of the Stock Roms to do that, but that space is now available for storage. And I don't advise anyone to take on that "job" unless at their "own risk."

That was not really worth all the time and the challenge, since just getting that "stuff" shut OFF was what gave me 2 and 1/4 days battery. And more piece of mind, that googirl wasn't watching my every move! LOL!

So NOW when I get a NEW phone,
I just factory Reset,
than a "wiping cache and dalvik cache,"
Than another Factory Reset
and another "wiping cache and dalvik cache,"

Than I set up my device on the third time out form the last Reset with "My Backup" folder moved to internal storage, used to RESTOR all my apps and data, than I move that "My Backup" folder back to extSD Card.

Good to go.... for me anyway.

Hope that helps someone.

Reactions: Takisxx
Fixing Insufficient storage space error

There's another remedy for this
For this remedy you'll need :
1.A ROOTED phone
2.A Good ROOT EXPLORER
Open the root explorer (Grant SuperSu root access if asked)
Go To Device (/)/Data/app/(here)
Clear Any .odex files you can see
PLEASE DON'T DELETE THE APK FILES CAUSE THIS IN TURN WILL CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS
after deleting Just go back and exit the root explorer and REBOOT your phone.
Try re-installing the app and it should work (Worked for me).
-Rajat
Phone: Micromax Doodle 3 (A102)
Version: 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
Softwares Used: Framaroot (for rooting)
ES File Explorer (as Root Explorer)
;):good::D

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackman75

Feb 23, 2013
Lucky patcher app is a cracking app that is not welcomed here and against the roles of xda forum.
But if you went this app to get rid of the odex files, there is another simple method by using any file manager (like root manager) then go to data\app or system\app and search for the "xxx.odex" of your app that had a problem then delete it (it's safe to delete it) then reboot.
This is the same method that lucky patcher did it to get rid of the odex file.
Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I go to these folders and I find a bunch of APK files but nothing that says odex. Is an APK file the same thing? They are taking up a lot of space. Can I delete them and be safe?

I guess the previous post answers my question. But what to do since I can't find any odex files? I have a Blu Life Play 2 by the way.

Last edited:

djmatusiak

Dec 8, 2015
I have this error as well, however, I am running android x86 5.1.1 lollipop. I cannot install any apps regardless of size, nor uninstall any, as it is a fresh copy.

It is installed on an external USB drive w 1 tb of space, but the os partition is 496mb, where the allocated sd card space is nearly a tb.

I have complete root control, and a decent file manager where I can set permissions. I have tred to change permission settings on /data/app folder to all srwx. These settings do not help, and when I reboot, the settings have defaulted to original.

I have tried to delete the files that have been described in this thread, but they do not even exist.

It seems like a permissions issue, but I don't know where to set them, and even if I did, upon rebooting will be reverted.

I am working totally inside android and not through a vm.

I have other issues pending as well but I will tackle them afterwards (eg arm support, and funky garbled text that I believe is due to my crappy old dell inspiron 1525)

This has been one heck of a process, and if I can't figure out the "insufficient storage", I do know what to do.

Mike7531

Dec 18, 2015
Great solution - so thank ful

had to re-install my rom and gapps but never seen this before and so good!!

did not know which file to delete so deleted them all but this works!!

Malfix

Jan 28, 2016
Can't find it.

I could go as far as /data/app-lib, but I couldn't find the "app-path" folder, any ideas as to why that's the case?

bender711

Feb 23, 2016
Lucky patcher app is a cracking app that is not welcomed here and against the roles of xda forum.
But if you went this app to get rid of the odex files, there is another simple method by using any file manager (like root manager) then go to data\app or system\app and search for the "xxx.odex" of your app that had a problem then delete it (it's safe to delete it) then reboot.
This is the same method that lucky patcher did it to get rid of the odex file.
Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------

So (and i know, i messed up) I Deleted all of .odex files with fx root explorer in the main system root folder(stupid!)… phone now starts to boot and gets stuck on android screen and stays there.
So far no recovery options will come up (have tried all start-up button combinations)
And all attempts to connect via usb have failed.
I do have proper drivers installed (installed from lg website)
And I have tried doing a hard reset (phone resets, android recovery robot image with open access panel on chest flashes briefly, then the phone resets again, back to square 1. does not continue to loop.)

I realize i did not follow your directions precisely, and would like to know if you can help me restore my phone, or at least tell me if i have completely ruined it?

It's an LG G Stylo from cricket.
It is rooted (via kingroot)
as mentioned, last known activity before loss of file system access was me deleting ALL .odex files found in a search of system root folder using fx root explorer.

thanks in advance for any reply you or anyone else might have

dustyspam

Feb 10, 2017
OMG, this worked for me as well, I had it set to "External" and changing it to "Automatic" it just made it work. In my case I was getting that error only on some apps (SuperSU, Youtube) but not others and I was even able to install some (not every) new apps.

Another thing to take into account, I was having this same error even with Link2SD uninstalled, I had to reinstall it and after a lot of reading and deleting those /data/app-lib/ folders this method finally worked!!! you rock! :good:

Guys please help a desperate guy (me) who tried to solve this problem fore more than a day already...:crying:
It's funny because I can update some apps but not other ( say I can't update Chrome but I can update any.do)
...................................................................... WAIT WHAT?!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Here is a quick fix.

Run this in adb shell as root and it will fix any bad packages.

Code:
    for line in `pm list packages -f`; do pkg=`echo $line | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d= -f2`; if [ "$(ls /data/app-lib | grep "${pkg}-" | wc -w)" -gt 1 -a "$pkg" != "android" ]; then fullname=`echo $line | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d= -f1`; filename="$(basename $fullname)"; badfile=`ls /data/app-lib | grep "${pkg}-" | grep -v "${filename%.*}"`; rm -rf /data/app-lib/$badfile; echo "Fixed $pkg"; fi; done
    Another Insufficient Storage fix

Hi all,
    I personally found that this method didn't fix it for me... apparently on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 running SlimBean 4.3, there really WAS a complete lack of storage after only a week or two of running. This is an issue that affects non-custom ROMs also, otherwise I'd be posting on the developer forum, it doesnt seem to be an issue with the custom.

If you are suffering from a distinct lack of internal storage, try the following;

1. Get a decent Root Explorer (FX root is now free and very good)
    2. Navigate to /data/log
    3. Check for oversize log files ~260k titled 'dumpstate'
    These dumpstate log files were steadily consuming my storage, they were up to 750 items in a week and steadily increasing. They are written when the phone loses mobile coverage, so if you're in a blackspot they will start eating storage.

Some file explorers will allow you to 'Select All' and you can happily empty the entire folder without risk to your system that I know of. If yours doesn't, you can actually delete the entire log folder and re-make it with no ill effects. Solved my problem!

Take it easy :)

Thx for the fix suggestion,

but unfortunately this solution failed to fix my issue.

Maybe this one can help the other who also haven't manage to fix theirs,

try to download "Lucky Patcher" and choose "Troubleshooting", it will check whether there were ODEX file left after previous installation and else, and will delete the file when necessary.

It fix my "insufficient storage issue"