Remove NFC and Other Status Bar Icons Without Root [needs ADB][Marshmallow only]

Search This thread
I got my 10 today after waiting since it was released. On thing that got me was the ugly NFC icon, it is horrible!

Right bare with me...

You need a working ADB setup

Code:
Tap Settings > About > Software Information > More

Keep tapping build number until you're told you're a developer.

Plug your phone into your computer and open command prompt in your ADB folder. Type:

Code:
adb devices

You should see your device show up. Following this type

Code:
adb shell settings put secure icon_blacklist [comma separated codes here] && adb reboot

For example, if you want to get rid of the NFC icon and the Bluetooth icon your command would look like this:

Code:
adb shell settings put secure icon_blacklist nfc,bluetooth && adb reboot

Note the lack of space between the NFC and Bluetooth commands.

That's it; Done!

Enjoy a less cluttered status bar!

Edit:
Omar302 reminded me that you can hide other status bar icons using this method. This is a (likely incomplete) list of icons

Code:
Name		Settings Description
cast		Cast
hotspot		Hotspot
bluetooth	Bluetooth
zen		Do not disturb
alarm_clock	Alarm 
managed_profile	Work profile
wifi		Wi-Fi
ethernet	Ethernet
mobile		Cellular Data
airplane	Airplane Mode

One more thing worth noting:
Note: Hiding an icon will cause the other icons to re-appear, so you will need to make the command to hide all your iccons with one command. Separate names of the icons with a comma ",".

So if you are tweaking the status bar one by one, keep a copy of your command in notepad

Last edited:

omar302

Feb 15, 2006
Doha
HTC 10
OnePlus 7 Pro
Thanks a lot. from your post I was able to search & find this post & this page. I was able to hide the Bluetooth & alarm clock icons using this command:

Code:
adb shell settings put secure icon_blacklist bluetooth,alarm_clock

Note: Hiding an icon will cause the other icons to re-appear, so you will need to make the command to hide all your icons with one command. Separate names of the icons with a comma ",".

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. from your post I was able to search & find this post & this page. I was able to hide the Bluetooth & alarm clock icons using this command:

Code:
adb shell settings put secure icon_blacklist bluetooth,alarm_clock

Note: Hiding an icon will cause the other icons to re-appear, so you will need to make the command to hide all your iccons with one command. Separate names of the icons with a comma ",".

Cheers!

I've updated the OP ?

omar302

Feb 15, 2006
Doha
HTC 10
OnePlus 7 Pro
I just tried this on latest WWE Nougat (2.41.401.3) and it works.

Just a heads up, setting this to only `nfc,bluetooth` will enable the "rotate" icon (which shows if auto rotate is enabled). I had to also include the `rotate` setting to blacklist it. I think a complete list of available icons is listed here: https://android.googlesource.com/pl...nougat-release/core/res/res/values/config.xml

Thanks. I did not notice this as I usually leave auto rotate on. Turned it off (portrait mode) and the icon appeared. Adding "rotate" to my list removes it along with bluetooth & alarm:

Code:
adb shell settings put secure icon_blacklist bluetooth,alarm_clock,rotate

Would be nice if someone would check what is the defaul black list before making anychanges by running this command:

Code:
adb shell settings get secure icon_blacklist

Also, maybe OP could modify the title to show this also works in Nougat.

Reactions: chinke

chinke

Dec 5, 2013
Lifos
Thanks. I did not notice this as I usually leave auto rotate on. Turned it off (portrait mode) and the icon appeared. Adding "rotate" to my list removes it along with bluetooth & alarm:

Code:

Would be nice if someone would check what is the defaul black list before making anychanges by running this command:

Code:

Thanks, it works with latest EU Nougat.

Result of command before making any changes is:
Code:
null

And is there any way to hide boomsound and night mode icons?

Last edited:

dragunbayne

Jul 3, 2008
I'm on N and the alarm icon is finally gone (YAY!), but it didn't work for the NFC icon. Maybe on N it's not just nfc for the command?

cmullinstu

Dec 11, 2010
I will give it a shot again tomorrow. I am on the S8+, so that could be my issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It worked for me on my S8+. I had to reboot the phone though, also I'm on AT&T I read elsewhere that some of the icons are different by carrier, not sure if that'd have any impact on the name of the icon though.

dragunbayne

Jul 3, 2008
It worked for me on my S8+. I had to reboot the phone though, also I'm on AT&T I read elsewhere that some of the icons are different by carrier, not sure if that'd have any impact on the name of the icon though.
Good to know! Work has been busy, we've been doing a bunch in infrastructure updating, so I haven't been able to try again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ezee96

Aug 3, 2016
I got my 10 today after waiting since it was released. On thing that got me was the ugly NFC icon, it is horrible!

Right bare with me...

Code:

Plug your phone into your computer and open command prompt in your ADB folder. Type:

Code:
adb devices

Code:
adb shell settings put secure icon_blacklist [comma separated codes here] && adb reboot

For example, if you want to get rid of the NFC icon and the Bluetooth icon your command would look like this:

Code:

That's it; Done!

Edit:
Omar302 reminded me that you can hide other status bar icons using this method. This is a (likely incomplete) list of icons

Code:
cast		Cast
hotspot		Hotspot
bluetooth	Bluetooth
zen		Do not disturb
alarm_clock	Alarm 
wifi		Wi-Fi
ethernet	Ethernet
mobile		Cellular Data
airplane	Airplane Mode

So if you are tweaking the status bar one by one, keep a copy of your command in notepad

How can I hide the vpn icon and carrier name?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Right bare with me...

Code:

Code:
    adb devices

Code:

Code:

That's it; Done!

Edit:

Code:
    cast		Cast
    hotspot		Hotspot
    bluetooth	Bluetooth
    zen		Do not disturb
    alarm_clock	Alarm 
    wifi		Wi-Fi
    ethernet	Ethernet
    mobile		Cellular Data
    airplane	Airplane Mode

Code:

Code:

Thanks, it works with latest EU Nougat.

Result of command before making any changes is:
    Code:
    null

And is there any way to hide boomsound and night mode icons?

Just a heads up, setting this to only `nfc,bluetooth` will enable the "rotate" icon (which shows if auto rotate is enabled). I had to also include the `rotate` setting to blacklist it. I think a complete list of available icons is listed here: https://android.googlesource.com/pl...nougat-release/core/res/res/values/config.xml

Code:

Code:

This still works in Huawei's EMUI 9.0, by the way. The only question I have: Is there an adb command that lists all the available icons on the system? This way, I could go hide Huawei's custom icons.