Overclocking XDA2 to 796 Mhz!

Search This thread

mamaich

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 29, 2004
mamaich-eng.blogspot.ru
After playing with PocketHackMaster, XCPUScalar I've found that noone of them was able to overclock my device reliably. So I've wrote my own program that uses undocummented OEMSetCpuFrequency IOCTL of NK.EXE. Program can be downloaded from http://mamaich.kasone.com/imate/Overclock.rar
I can send source code on request. Use this program at your own risk and backup before running it.
Program allows to manually adjust L, M, N parameters for Imate running 1.72 ROM (I have not tested older ROMs). The L parameter modifies SDRAM frequency (36 is a maximal value for my device), M - is a CPU frequency multiplier (shoul be left as a 4), N is a turbo mode for a normal mode multiplier. Setting its value to 1.5 makes the device work slower (though reported speed by PocketHackMaster and other tools is 796Mhz). My best results are 36/4/1 (530 Mhz) as shown on screenshots:

over1.gif
over2.gif

You may try other values. The smaller values may give the higher speed.

azbro

Jun 1, 2004
Cool..I'm trying it out...seems faster...but is it my mind playing tricks?
I'm using 1.66 and i set the overclock same as above.

I tried it many times and most of the benchmarks readings differ a bit.
Anyhow Checkout my test results....

Standard XDAII___________________After Overclock

beforeturbo.jpg
afterturbo.jpg

Hmm...seems like the Standard XDAII is giving better results...but then again, I really dunno what all this mean....

Can someone explain it to me...errr in simple english please?

And one more thing,seems like the settings will change back everytime it is closed (by clicking 'OK' on top). Is the oveclock still running then?

mamaich

Apr 29, 2004
mamaich-eng.blogspot.ru
I have not tested old ROMs like 1.66, but in my 1.72 overclocking is kept after the program is closed. Overclocking may reset after device goes into sleep state or when inserted into cradle. This is not tested.
Overclocking to 796 Mhs makes the device work slower than on 530 Mhz, I don't know why.

draxos

Jul 18, 2004
mamaich ..

Does it Work "Reliably" on the XDA-1, Running ROM Ver 3.17.03 ??

Thanx

unapproachable2kx

Apr 4, 2004
Yeah,it takes the speed you choosed when you tep OK on 1.72 ROM.
My problem is that on 530Mhz my XDA2 freezes on Hard Processing Applications..like Windows Media Player,Pocket Quake,Etc..
Do you think is related to applications I have in background like: Spb Pocket Plus-MultIE and Caller ID monitor?
Someone can confirm that your ppc runs with no problems on 530mhz and more? if yes,what app do you have in background?
thanx

WeatherB

Jul 5, 2004
Toronto
I think it is the same with overclocking computers... has to do with the fact that every processor is a different grade, all can run the 400mhz no problem, but only a few can do 530 without crashing.

Crashing or resetting is a sign that you've gone too far; usually you can overcome this by increasing the voltage of the CPU, but don't have that option in PPC.

unapproachable2kx

Apr 4, 2004
I've asked this because many users runs 530mhz and more frequencies without problems.
That annoing me..I've removed all the background progs.. Tested many times with GX Benchmark whitout probs but when I run Windows Media Player it freezes after 30-40 sec.
Note: Only if I play a video file,like 300kbps..
Or if I play Quake,it freezes instantly.
In Os menu it runs very fast,but ..who want that if u can't run great games with this Clock.. :?
Let me know if your XDA2 supports this,maybe try also play a videofile about 300kbps for a minute..and let me know..

thanx

sleepnow

Feb 12, 2004
Using XCPUScalar I can run most things including games very well @472 and 530, but at neither Windows Media Player nor Pocket Player seem to like it. They'll often go to the next song 10-seconds to 1 minutes into it, and sometimes it will shut itself down. I would seriosuly recommend against overclocking to 700+ Mhz though unless you enjoy buying new phones.

WeatherB

Jul 5, 2004
Toronto
I had the same problem with overclocking my Audiovox PPC 5050 to 530MHz. It would freeze after a few minutes of playing MP3s.

bejay

May 19, 2004
Using xpcuscalar I'm running my xda2 at 530Mhz with no problems at all, Use media player for mp3's in the car for a couple of hours a day along with tomtom 3. Only time I have any problems is sometimes (say 5% of the time) tomtom freezes after I recieve a phone call, but it does this if xcpuscalar is not running, so I don't think it's down to the overclocking.
Can play pocket quake and tomb raider without problems, mamece3 is a bit buggy though.

bejay

May 19, 2004
Sorry forgot to mention uk o2 rom 1.60 (offical o2 uk update rom) and xcpuscalar 2.62

Mosser

Dec 19, 2003
Warminster, UK
Does anyone know what program i can use to benchmark my XDA2 ??,

I have overclocked mine to 530 and it is really flying along at the moment but it would be nice to get some figures as to how much faster it is?

[Krueger]Dr.Stein

Jul 25, 2003
Singapura
www.kruegerdrstein.com
OverClock

Hi mamaich and guys.

I placed the program in /Windows/Start Menu/Program folder. My Xda II runs stable and fast at 796MHz - not much difference in battery life compared against at 530MHz - which is great.

But however the only way I can keep OverClock running is to not display my Today (Desktop) screen. The program will close everytime I minimise it and reverting back to 400MHz.

Any ideas on how to rectify this please gentlemen?

TIA

mamaich

Apr 29, 2004
mamaich-eng.blogspot.ru
Re: OverClock

[Krueger said:
Dr.Stein]But however the only way I can keep OverClock running is to not display my Today (Desktop) screen. The program will close everytime I minimise it and reverting back to 400MHz.
My program changes the CPU speed only when you press the "apply" button. After then you can safely close it. The device would revert to 400 mhz after entering the sleep state or in some other reasons. Later I'll make my program resident so that it would continuously keep the device overclocked. I'll post a new version here.

unapproachable2kx

Apr 4, 2004
Re: OverClock

[Krueger said:
Dr.Stein]Hi mamaich and guys.

I placed the program in /Windows/Start Menu/Program folder. My Xda II runs stable and fast at 796MHz - not much difference in battery life compared against at 530MHz - which is great.

But however the only way I can keep OverClock running is to not display my Today (Desktop) screen. The program will close everytime I minimise it and reverting back to 400MHz.

Any ideas on how to rectify this please gentlemen?

TIA

....HMM....Whatt'a f**K!! I am the only that can't run more than 472mhz?? what's the problem??
It continue freezing on 530 if I play games,or other..
Ahh..I also CAN'T overclock to 796mhz,it freezes istantly!
The same to XcpuScalar on 530mhz,it freezes.
What problem can be guys? We are running on same devices,also I have a 1.72,Radio 1.14..

Xant

Nov 10, 2003
Starnberg
So what... **** happends

It's the same with each processor...
As you might know a 2.6 Ghz Pentium comes from the same wafer as a 3.6 GHz Pentium, but these processors are qualified for speed.

I don't think Intel is qualifing the XScales for Speed, this is not common in the mobile market. Here the chips are designed to reach a certain speed, all above is not really interesting.

Alex