[Guide] S-OFF / Root.Your HTC One Max

Search This thread

Moondroid

Feb 12, 2015
I ran sunshine but no root how do I get root after sunshine?

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Sunshine just gives you S-Off and an unlocked bootloader. Use adb fastboot to flash TWRP, and then use TWRP to flash SuperSU. That's how I got it done yesterday. I used Minimal ADB and Fastboot ( < instructions) to get TWRP on the phone.

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

I bought the Max "refurbished" and it came with this, which I'd never seen any mention of before:

Android version 4.4.2
Build number 3.09.605.7.CL333209.release-keys
Baseband 1.36.60.0520
Kernel 3.4.10-g7a1b276
Hboot 2.49

No problem at all with Sunshine. I've just never seen any build number beyond 3.09.605.3 mentioned anywhere.

Reactions: Xx MOE and aaronrw

Vanpiere

Feb 4, 2014
I need help here, kinda new, and i got to flash my HTC One Max internacional using the steps infoed. I didnt see the coments saying that the unsecure kernel its not working anymore and i have flashed it. Now my phone is stuck on a bootloop after Turning on to the OS Lasts max 15 sec. and then reboots infinitly.
Hboot - 2.46.0000
OS - 1.19.401.2
T6UL S-OFF RH
pls help

Android*XDA

Jan 18, 2010
Bucharest
I need help here, kinda new, and i got to flash my HTC One Max internacional using the steps infoed. I didnt see the coments saying that the unsecure kernel its not working anymore and i have flashed it. Now my phone is stuck on a bootloop after Turning on to the OS Lasts max 15 sec. and then reboots infinitly.
Hboot - 2.46.0000
OS - 1.19.401.2
T6UL S-OFF RH
pls help
You will need to re-flash your phone with another rom from CWM or TWRP'
Use adb fastboot to flash TWRP or CWM.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

i try to S-Off my Htc One Max but with no luck :(( i have bootloader unlocked,with TWRP and rooted
any solution except that with pay ?
Thanks.

Reactions: Vanpiere

Bradypodion

Jul 26, 2013
Casablanca
Hello, everyone. Thank you very much for everything. I have a small problem n I hope anyone will help very soon.
I unlocked my HTC One Max (Vodafone) and when I installed Superuser via recovery (TWRP), it wasnt yet rooted, so I guess I was mixin between tutorials. Then I saw the step for the unsecure kernel, downloaded it and flashed it. Now the problem is that my phone won't boot anymore and only takes me to recovery every time I choose reboot or restart system.
Can someone please help or link me to the solution if there was any.
Thanks a lot in advance

sin-cal

Aug 16, 2008
Porterville, CA
Sprint htc one max. Hboot 2.49
latest 4.4.2 stock rom, rooted, recovery. unlocked/tampered.
When I flash the unsecure kernel from the first page, upon reboot i get stuck with pink, then blue screen, then stuck at the htc one boot image. any ideas? I"m unable to reboot this phone with supplied unsecure kernel. rumrunner error's on me for not having an unsecure kernel.

JoeBear1975

Oct 3, 2013
Sylacauga
I see that the last post on here was back in 2013. Do the same rules apply now in 2016? I just bought a One Max, but have been rooting for years. However, I've been rooting Samsung devices, so doing things this way seems like a foriegn language to me, lol. Thx.

LiveLand

Jan 27, 2017
How to S-off HTC One Max Tampered\Unlocked\Rooted HBoot 2.49

Hi,
I'm stucked in something, I tried to install custom rom for my brother's phone HTC one max, but about 3 weeks ago the cyanogenmod site has been closed and disconnected
Well, I searched and found new OS called LineageOS, On that date they didn't published the custom rom for HTC one max I decided to install unofficial Lineage os, I searched again and figure there's no need for install custom rom phone getting S-off and Root just needs unlocked by the official way on HTC web site I did, and finally installed the unofficial Lineage os until two days ago, I checked the Lineage and the official OS has been realized, Well I tried once again to installed new OS but this time on bootloader page showed me "Tampered"
I searched again and found this HTCGRU, for removal the tampered but required to be first rooted and S-off, Well I did first Rooted but I failed with S-off because the program doing thus call Firewater has been discounted and turned to paid app calling Sunshine.
Well during working with old app firewater I faced with error I think it's one of security patched from HTC
Showing this:
" error: only position independent executables (PIE) are supported. "
Tampered
HBOOT: 2.49
Unlocked
Rooted

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While rooting / SOFFing my One Max, I had to look all around to find all the parts. I wanted to create a guide so other people could get it faster / easier than I could ;).

This is for the Sprint HTC One Max, not sure how other devices will react. rumrunner is for more than just the Sprint version though.

I TAKE NO CREDIT. IM JUST PUTTING A GUIDE TOGETHER. ALL CREDIT GOES TO PEOPLE WHOM MADE THIS HAPPEN.

Credit: (In no order) Please donate to them! They deserve it.
    rumrunner: SOFF program.
    scotty1223: Unlocking/removing tampered flag
    Flyhalf205: Custom recoveries
    carl1961: Unsecure kernel
    HTC for an awesome phone :)

If I forgot anyone, let me know! Everyone that made this happen is awesome!

DISCLAIMER: IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOUR PHONE YELLS AT YOU AND RUNS AWAY BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG.

Step One: Unlock your bootloader at htcdev.com. Create an account and follow their instructions. When it asks you for your device put "all other support devices"

Step Two: Make sure your ADB/Fastboot prompts are working. Here's how we check that:

a. Make sure USB debugging is on.
    b. Plug in your phone, then open your adb prompt.
    c. Issue the command adb devices. If your serial number is shown, adb is working.
    d. While still in the adb prompt, issue the command adb reboot bootloader. Your phone will reboot in to your bootloader
    e. Now issue the command fastboot devices. If your serial number is shown, fastboot is working.
    f. Reboot your device so it's on and fully boot up. It's time to get set up!

Step Three, Getting all the files needed on your craptop. (Computer, just kidding)

a. Download your choice of recovery from flyhalf205's thread (TWRP didn't play nice with my phone, so I used CWM, but your results my vary).

CWM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498749

TWRP: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498746

b.Then download this superuser.zip. :http://www.mediafire.com/download/v27kh5nkpo3nfum/superuser.zip Place it on your phone somewhere.

c. Then download rumrunner from beaups' thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2525375

d. Then download carl1961's unsecure kernel : http://www.mediafire.com/download/rrfelsllgomrpix/Sprint_One_Max_1.16.651.4_Unsecure_kernel.zip

Step Four: Lets do this thing!

a. First, we flash a custom recovery. Place the recovery you downloaded from flyhalf205 into the same directory as your adb/fastboot stuff.

b. Plug in your phone, issue the command adb devices just to make sure there is a connection. (can never be too careful now.)

c. If all is good and a serial number is shown, issue the command adb reboot bootloader.

d. You should see a string of words on your phone's bootloader saying "fastboot usb". Issue the command fastboot flash recovery "NAME OF RECOVERYFILEHERE".img. If all goes well. You now have a custom recovery, woop!

BOOT INTO THE RECOVERY AND MAKE A NAND. NOT OPTIONAL.
    While in recovery, go ahead and flash the superuser.zip as you would do any other zip.

e. Now open the kernel and extract the boot.img file, place it in the adb/fastboot place.

f. Boot back into the bootloader, and make sure you're in fastboot. Issue the command fastboot flash boot boot.img. If all is well, the unsecure kernel is now on your phone! Now delete the boot.img from that directory (It'll mess with rumrunner).

g. Unzip the rumrunner contents into the adb/fastboot directory and run the soju.exe. Follow the prompt. If all goes well, you should now have an SOFF television in your hand ;).

HOW-TO Re-enable your fingerprint scanner!

You have to relock (after SOFFing it) the bootloader.

All credit goes to scotty1223.

a. Follow this OP to lock your bootloader. : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540004
    b. Follow this OP to remove the tampered flag on your bootloader : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540024

I tested all of this on my own Sprint HTC One Max, and it has all worked with no side effects. After relocking and removing the tampered flag my fingerprint reader was 100% working again.

I'll help if I can. Have fun everyone!
    I would like to say, that I have noticed that some get a lot of help in these threads, and a lot "say" thanks, but on one clicks the "Thanks" Button. It would be definitely appreciated when pressed. ;)
    If I can recommend rumrunner first **for Verizon versions** which soff, unlocks bootloader (vice htcdev) , installs unsecure kernel and roots. Htcdev unlock voids warranties for some carriers. Then install recovery of choice.
    Lastly I would insert a line to remind everyone to donate to the devs for countless hours put in.

EDITED for versions
    It took you 3 days to see my message and reply. What, you arent online all the time responding to everyone right when they contact you?

Then dont expect that of others...

Please, stop arguing. Several of us are stuck with the 2.47 hboot, we're waiting for beaups to tell us if he's working on the latest hboot for S-OFF. That's all. So, calm down everyone ?
    Everyone having issues with rumrunner should make sure they have plugged in their phone into their computer with AND without adb debugging enabled AND in fastboot to make sure all drivers are set up properly before rumrunner.

Having said that beaups himself said the device driver error is normal.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I was unable to use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader. I am with Verizon, perhaps thats the issue, not sure. The error I received
    Error Code: 160.
    Error Reason: MID Not Allowed
    Tried using rumrunner and of course that failed due to the fact the bootloader is still locked and there is no unsecure kernel.

Am I missing something?

Read second post of this thread