Porting Android Auto to existing Windows CE car headunits

Search This thread

sykozylot

Apr 22, 2010
Hey folks. Apologies if this is in the wrong area. Now that Android Auto is announced (http://www.android.com/auto/), I know there are lots of folks with Windows CE-based car headunits. I'm wondering if we could start a conversation about getting Android Auto set up on those head units. I have no idea what would be involved, but I want to see if it's a possibility for discussion.

Reactions: jeasbe

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
I would also be interested in this if it is possible to port it to other windows or Microsoft based systems.

Reactions: Jess wilson

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
Yeah I'm bumping this for sure - I've got Microsoft Sync in mine, but it's the non-touch version, so I'm not sure if Android Auto could be configured for that hardware...

BTW lover

Apr 27, 2010
You can pretty much forget about this idea right now guys. Even the most advanced and most recent CE head units use hardware that is so outdated that even 1st gen android phones look cutting edge in comparsion (typically 400-800mhz single core processors and 128-256mb of ram). Even if it was somehow done it would be a serious pain in the behind to use.

Reactions: one-option

silent_bob52637

Jul 15, 2010
edinburgh
Simply put no it will not happen
99.9 percent of windows ce devices are armv6
Only first gen android runs on that and android 5.0 requires atleast armv7
Ot would require a complete rewrite of android from the ground up and thats 2-3 yrs work if you can find a team of about 30 devs all willing to give up their day jobs to do it for free
90 percent of all android head units available already will not see auto at all just like all the android watches that will mever receive wear

Sent from my LG-D722 using XDA Premium HD app

tbkdan

Apr 11, 2009
Simply put no it will not happen
99.9 percent of windows ce devices are armv6
Only first gen android runs on that and android 5.0 requires atleast armv7
Ot would require a complete rewrite of android from the ground up and thats 2-3 yrs work if you can find a team of about 30 devs all willing to give up their day jobs to do it for free
90 percent of all android head units available already will not see auto at all just like all the android watches that will mever receive wear

That's assuming that Android Auto is running full-blown Android. My understanding is that the phone is doing all of the heavy lifting and the head unit is effectively a "dumb display" similar to MirrorLink. If that's the case, then the head unit doesn't need to do much and they are probably using some pretty low-spec hardware already. Now, if you're trying to get Android 5.0 on these systems so you can run Android Auto without a separate phone, then I agree - most headunits will not be able to handle that with their low specs :)

Anybody have any info on what the head unit is actually running on an Android Auto system? Does Google provide anything as an example, or is it strictly APIs and left unto the car/HU manufacturers to figure it out?

Reactions: CathalDub

silent_bob52637

Jul 15, 2010
edinburgh
That's assuming that Android Auto is running full-blown Android. My understanding is that the phone is doing all of the heavy lifting and the head unit is effectively a "dumb display" similar to MirrorLink. If that's the case, then the head unit doesn't need to do much and they are probably using some pretty low-spec hardware already. Now, if you're trying to get Android 5.0 on these systems so you can run Android Auto without a separate phone, then I agree - most headunits will not be able to handle that with their low specs :)

Anybody have any info on what the head unit is actually running on an Android Auto system? Does Google provide anything as an example, or is it strictly APIs and left unto the car/HU manufacturers to figure it out?

Android 5.0
Android wear
And android auto are all the same os
Need the same type of specs just look at the moto 360 and lg watch
Way to powerful to have on a windows ce device
The watches are also nothing more then a notification mirror on a digital watch with specs of over 1ghz cpu and 512mb ram the most powerdul windows ce device is the htc hd2
Which runs a 1ghz cpu and 512 mb of ram in the eu model

Last edited:

tbkdan

Apr 11, 2009
Android 5.0
Android wear
And android auto are all the same os
Need the same type of specs just look at the moto 360 and lg watch
Way to powerful to have on a windows ce device
The watches are also nothing more then a notification mirror on a digital watch with specs of over 1ghz cpu and 512mb ram the most powerdul windows ce device is the htc hd2
Which runs a 1ghz cpu and 512 mb of ram in the eu model

www . androidcentral . com/all-you-need-know-about-android-auto
This one's important to remember. Android Auto is on your phone, not embedded into the car. This is the same approach Apple took with CarPlay and is probably the best way to go about it. The auto manufacturers build support for the platform into their own systems – many built on top of the BlackBerry owned QNX OS – and then Android Auto becomes visible to you when you connect your phone.
The head unit is not running Android (although I suppose it could). The head unit is running whatever OS the manufacturer wants and interacts with the phone, acting as somewhat of a dumb terminal to display information from the phone. The phone is running the meat and potatoes of the Android Auto solution.

Reactions: CathalDub

bbc0

Nov 30, 2011

Does anyone know of a car infotainment system that has been rooted? I am thinking of installing one in my 2005 Subaru Outback and am hoping to have something that I can install my preferred apps on. I know I can use my Nexus 7 to do it but I'd prefer more of a 'drop in' unit.

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

rvbeppler

Mar 10, 2011
That's not android auto for Windows CE, but this app Easyconnected allows you to mirror everything from your Android phone through usb cable. Just activate usb debugging on developer options.

I know it's in Chinese, but nothing that Google translator couldn't help.

http://www.carbit.cn/

rvbeppler

Mar 10, 2011
Good link. Now if someone could get it running on their own HU
I've got to run it on my Hyundai OEM navigation, made by Motrex. It works perfectly, but I had to use an old version to change the language to English, hacking the zip file with languages, I've exchanged the file name with English phrases to the Chinese file name.

In the newer versions, this zip file has a password and I didn't find another way to exchange the language from Chinese.

rewen

Apr 19, 2010
Barrie
Can you elaborate on how you got it working? I've got a 2013 Santa Fe Sport (Limited; nav) and would kill for this. I've been searching junkyards for 2017 head units lol

rvbeppler

Mar 10, 2011
I've used total commander disguised as an update (renamed it as update.exe inside the folder update) on a flash drive, and the my head unit recognize it as an update.

When I go to settings - > update, total commander opens and after it I can run whenever program I want.

P.S. only works in Motrex headunits which are used by Hyundai in Russia and Latin America. European, Korean and American cars use another head units.

Source: http://www.santa3.ru/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1736

http://sorento.kia-club.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=32135

(Used Google chrome to translate it)

Enviado de meu SM-N920G usando Tapatalk

emilmusat

Dec 17, 2014
Hi guys. I install the application from carbit.cn , it is a good software, I was able to mirroring my Android phones (Samsung S4 and S6 edge also S4 mini ) to WinCe 6.0 , but I want to have this app in English , not in Chinese , I tried to rename the file from zip archive languages, res_Lang_CHN.xml to res_Lang_EN.xml , because in app the isn't a option to change language, but the program remain in chinese language, I saw just a few words are translated , the zip file has a password, I can't extract the xml file to be able to change it , have you any idea how I can do this ? Also there is an android app called CarMan.apk , witch is also in chinese , how I can skip not to install ?

Regards,

Emil

Last edited:

hzr34

Jan 5, 2012
Istanbul
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I am directly send mail to carbit. They don't share pass or language package​ but customer service send another program to me now I am using Turkish.

Xperia Z3 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Top Liked Posts