[Guide] partition and link2sd [pictures included for each step]

Search This thread

droid93

Sep 2, 2016
My mount script worked. In my phone, the kernel already mounted sd-ext as /system/sd which made Link2SD mount script failed somehow.

Now I'm using Mount2SD. It is simpler.

I have solved the problem. The problem was with Kingroot. It didn't totally root the phone thus /system, /data were read-only. I have rooted again with Eagleroot and now LInk2SD can mount the second partition perfectly.

tzole

Jul 1, 2009
I have a Cube I6 tablet with Android 4.4. I bought a Kingston class10 32GB MicroSD and I partitioned it using the steps exactly as they are in first page, 20GB for fat32 partition and 12GB for ext2 partition. I installed link2sd in my tablet and then I turned it off and put microSD. When I turned it on I went to settings-storage to see info about my SD card I realized that the tablet didn't recognize my card. Then I opened link2sd and the ext2 partition was mounted perfectly after reboot. I moved some apps and games to my sd card and they worked without problems. My problem is that I can't use the 20GB fat32 partition because the tablet can't recognize it. Can somebody help me please ?

Reactions: beatLeo

Zensuu

Sep 12, 2016
Bad Disk :/

Hey. I followed the instructions here and the app just happened to crash part way through, and now my micro sd is listed as "bad disk". This is definitely not your fault I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to reverse this. Thank you.

beatLeo

Nov 2, 2013
Perú
I have a Cube I6 tablet with Android 4.4. I bought a Kingston class10 32GB MicroSD and I partitioned it using the steps exactly as they are in first page, 20GB for fat32 partition and 12GB for ext2 partition. I installed link2sd in my tablet and then I turned it off and put microSD. When I turned it on I went to settings-storage to see info about my SD card I realized that the tablet didn't recognize my card. Then I opened link2sd and the ext2 partition was mounted perfectly after reboot. I moved some apps and games to my sd card and they worked without problems. My problem is that I can't use the 20GB fat32 partition because the tablet can't recognize it. Can somebody help me please ?

I have exactly the same problem. My sd card is the same too. I have a huawei y6 with cm 12.1 (android 5.1). Please could anybody help us?

Hunterzzz

Apr 4, 2009
Root required for this?

Hi. Thanks for the wonderful share. Just want to know that if Root is required for doing this or not?

edilebe

Sep 22, 2016
Pondicherry, India
Ok . . . One BIG question . . .

Partitioned my 32GB to [ 26GB FAT32 , 6GB EXT2 ]
Stock ROM : Samsung Galaxy J2 2016 [SM-J210F]

Everything is alright with me in using link2sd but . . . My First Partition is very miserable . . .
Apps does not recognize it . . . Eg: MX Player, My Inbuilt Gallery app, WhatsApp . . . And importantly, 'Gallery Vault' app (It Hides Media Files) . . .
Any Solution . . . ?

smalih15

Dec 16, 2016
3 partitions

My sim card for some reason has a partiton which i cannot modify it contains 8mb, it is unallocated and it is logical. When I add the other two partitions my sd card ends up having 3 partitions. also (keeping in mind the three partitions) ext2,ext4 do not work with link2sd. it says 2nd partition cannot automatically be mounted at boot. My phone is Samsung Galaxy J3 2016 (J320FN)

Last edited:

demonrojas17

Mar 17, 2017
so ive followed you instructions perfectly but when i put the card in my phone it says the card is corrupt. what can i do to fix?

mikele2016

Aug 26, 2016
Hi all
Thanks for this great tutorial but I have big trouble ...
All run ok with phone BLU rooted I mount primary ext4 partition with Fat32 primary I install many programs and all run as hell but... when the phone reboot android optimize my applications and now the apps are corrupted close or freeze... I tried with ext2 and ext4 its the same after rebooting link2sd link my apps and all run as hell I can install many apps which link2sd move on sd but when phone reboot it optimize the apps and many are corrupted after this optimizing and rebooting...
What happens ?

SOLVED - EDIT JUNE 2 -
I desinstalled link2sd and installed APPS2SD. APPS2SD do the job very well now.

Last edited:

Osama kaleem

Jan 2, 2017
Karachi
[Guide with pics 4 newbies]

Hello heros (and a 3or4 heroines I've seen around here :p)

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners :))

INTRODUCTION
Wat is linking to SD??
------> as the name says linking apps to SD is moving applications and their belonging resources to a special partition in SD card and creating a link to them for easy access.
Y link to SD???
------> I will tell it in short...
Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y

Software's needed
1.mini partition tool (for PC ie windows)
2.link2sd (for mobile ie android)

PROCEDURE
pleez following the procedure carefully and exactly to avoid any inconvenience

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads, forums, blogs etc... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ...

Thank u :)

3ndSIPB.png

=========HOLO-UBUNTU========theme

Can we bring our data back on sd card after partitioning?​
?

krish0008

May 13, 2016
Can i Use My Internal Storage (Rather than storage available for app) for link2sd

Hey,
I have Gionee m2 8 GB
it has 4 gb internal storage
and 1.6 GB for application
well i am already using Link2sd with my 8 GB sd card
but i want to use My Internal Storage available for user rather than my sd card,
can i create a partition with this?
is this safe to create partition with this?
i meant could it brick my phone after partition my internal storage for link2sd?
although "after mounting my phone for USB mass storage it shows in MINI TOOL PARTITION":)

yobydnub

Feb 10, 2016
More internal storage for my Galaxy Tab 2

I have a few questions. I hope you can clear things up for me.

I have tried this procedure a few times. I am never able to mount the second partition, it comes up as corrupt.

Im not sure why I would make the partition for my media files bigger than the other one. Isnt the whole idea of this process to make my internal storage bigger? I would have thought making it 512MB isnt really going to make much of a difference. Maybe im not understanding something here.

Lastly, will this method actually work on my particular device? Maybe that's why I cant get it to work.

I hope you can answer some of these questions for me.

Many Thanks

yobydnub

droid93

Sep 2, 2016
I have a few questions. I hope you can clear things up for me.

I have tried this procedure a few times. I am never able to mount the second partition, it comes up as corrupt.

Im not sure why I would make the partition for my media files bigger than the other one. Isnt the whole idea of this process to make my internal storage bigger? I would have thought making it 512MB isnt really going to make much of a difference. Maybe im not understanding something here.

Lastly, will this method actually work on my particular device? Maybe that's why I cant get it to work.

I hope you can answer some of these questions for me.

Many Thanks

yobydnub

You have to keep a separate and bigger partition for your media files because the process of creating a second partition and linking the apps using link2sd doesn't actually make the internal storage bigger. It helps us to transfer the apps and their files to the second partition. You can't put any other file in the second partition like media, documents etc. So that, you have to maintain another partition for storing media files.

Sorry, I am not sure about your other questions.

madmax800

Sep 10, 2017
error help please

Hi, I thank you for this thread but I have followed your words but get an error when I start Link2Sd. I have selected axt 4, then 3, then 2 but my phone says this.
Mount script error
Mount script cannot be created
not allowed to su

can you please help

madmax800

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners :))

INTRODUCTION
Wat is linking to SD??
------> as the name says linking apps to SD is moving applications and their belonging resources to a special partition in SD card and creating a link to them for easy access.
Y link to SD???
Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y

Software's needed

PROCEDURE

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads, forums, blogs etc... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ...

3ndSIPB.png

LoneRanger76

Dec 8, 2017
8. Next, create an ext2/ext3/ext4 partition (I suggest ext2 cause it works on all roms and kernels). This is where your apps will go. I suggest a value of 512Mb would be big enough but its ur choice...

Hi, can I ask where to put the 512mb in Step 8. Am I doing it right? Is it always the same amount of partition size and unallocated size after whether I choose fat32 and ext2? Please see the attach photos.

Last edited:

droid93

Sep 2, 2016
Hi, can I ask where to put the 512mb in Step 8. Am I doing it right? Is it always the same amount of partition size and unallocated size after whether I choose fat32 and ext2? Please see the attach photos.

First make the FAT32 partition (in your case it's 1.32 GB) and then in the unallocated space (513 MB in your case) after the FAT32 partition, create a new partition of EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 format. Don't forget to mark "Create as" to "Primary". Unallocated space after the second partition will be 0 MB, not the same as the previous one. I think you've got it.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

First of all, you have to create a FAT32 partition (in your case it's 1.32 GB) which will have adjacent unallocated space of about 513 MB (in your case). Then create a second partition of EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 format having a size of 513 MB. Don't forget to make "Create as" to "Primary". This partition will have 0 MB as the following unallocated space, not the same as the previous one.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

First of all, you have to create a FAT32 partition (in your case it's 1.32 GB) which will have adjacent unallocated space of about 513 MB (in your case). Then create a second partition of EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 format having a size of 513 MB. Don't forget to make "Create as" to "Primary". This partition will have 0 MB as the following unallocated space, not the same as the previous one.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

INTRODUCTION
    Wat is linking to SD??
    Y link to SD???

Software's needed

PROCEDURE

1. First you have to download Mini Tool Partition Wizard Manager. You can download it in the link above... download it and install it on PC.

2. Insert your SD card to a card reader and open it on your computer.(not via USB cable)

3. Back up all your files to the computer because partitioning will wipe your data.

4. Open Mini Tool in your computer. Locate your SD card (be careful in choosing and make sure not to choose the drive of your computer)

5. Right click and choose Delete.
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554012597.jpg

6. Right click on it again and choose Create New. Create “FAT32″ partition (This is where all your media files will go. Be sure to make it bigger than the 2nd part)

7. Select “Create as: PRIMARY”
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554042434.jpg

8. Next, create an ext2/ext3/ext4 partition (I suggest ext2 cause it works on all roms and kernels). This is where your apps will go. I suggest a value of 512Mb would be big enough but its ur choice...

9. Select “Create As: PRIMARY” (make sure that it is both set to primary because it will not work if it is not set to primary)
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554071738.jpg

10. Click the “Apply” button on the top left corner and wait for it to finish the process. Done.

11. Put back your SD card to your phone and switch it on.

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store link given above.uploadfromtaptalk1360554096140.jpg

13. Open Link2sd. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select one..
    (Give preference in this order ext4>ext3>ext2>fat32/16
    Not all may be compatible with ur kernel so try each one in the order of preference and use the highest ranking one that works... ext4 is compatible with my kernel so I use that...)
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554109628.jpg

14. It will say mount script created. Reboot your phone now.

15. Open link2sd and if the message doesn’t show up, you succeded.

16. Go to Link2sd>Settings>check the autolink (to automatically move apps upon installation)

17. If you already have some apps, select “move to phone” then after moving select “Create Link” (be sure to check the three files: app, dalvic-cache and library files)
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554156230.jpguploadfromtaptalk1360554168795.jpg

18. To check your memory, select “Storage Info”. This will show you the current state of your internal memory, FAT32, and ext2 partition.
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554182957.jpg

19. Now you’re done and ready to install vast amount of applications as you wish!

3ndSIPB.png

Great...... That worked

You are great dear.....

It worked perfectly.....

Had some issues during partitioning but they were specific to the PC operating system.

Thank you so much and yes....... I did hit the Thanks button;)

[Guide with pics 4 noobs]

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners )

INTRODUCTION
    Wat is linking to SD??
    Y link to SD???
    Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y,galaxy mini,galaxy ace,HTC wildfire,galaxy fit, galaxy Geo etc etc

Software's needed

PROCEDURE

1. First you have to download Mini Tool Partition Wizard Manager. You can download it in the link above... download it and install it on PC.

2. Insert your SD card to a card reader and open it on your computer.(not via USB cable)

3. Back up all your files to the computer because partitioning will wipe your data.

4. Open Mini Tool in your computer. Locate your SD card (be careful in choosing and make sure not to choose the drive of your computer)

5. Right click and choose Delete.
    View attachment 1719319

6. Right click on it again and choose Create New. Create “FAT32″ partition (This is where all your media files will go. Be sure to make it bigger than the 2nd part)

7. Select “Create as: PRIMARY”
    View attachment 1719321

9. Select “Create As: PRIMARY” (make sure that it is both set to primary because it will not work if it is not set to primary)
    View attachment 1719323

10. Click the “Apply” button on the top left corner and wait for it to finish the process. Done.

11. Put back your SD card to your phone and switch it on.

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store link given above.View attachment 1719324

13. Open Link2sd. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select ext2.
    View attachment 1719329

14. It will say mount script created. Reboot your phone now.

15. Open link2sd and if the message doesn’t show up, you succeded.

16. Go to Link2sd>Settings>check the autolink (to automatically move apps upon installation)

17. If you already have some apps, select “move to phone” then after moving select “Create Link” (be sure to check the three files: app, dalvic-cache and library files)
    View attachment 1719331View attachment 1719332

18. To check your memory, select “Storage Info”. This will show you the current state of your internal memory, FAT32, and ext2 partition.
    View attachment 1719333

19. Now you’re done and ready to install vast amount of applications as you wish!

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads or in ur freaking blogs... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ... thank u .
    And don't forget to hit thanks (only if this helped of course )
    Have a good day

==============================
    thoughtfully posted by S A N N Y 5...:cool:
    I used this a few months ago to speed up my friend's Samsung Next Turbo.

You don't need to delete your FAT32 partition, you can just shrink it. Then use the empty space for the ext partition.
    Easiest way of getting this to run quickly ,WITHOUT much hassle

1 root your phone
    install magldr
    install clock work mod recovery
    reboot phone into bootloader hold down power button
    use volume control to go down menu
    select ad recovery
    then in clockwork mod go down to advanced
    go down to partion sd
    select the size if 32gb sd select 4096 etc
    then select swap size 0 or 256
    then wait then select reboot

then go to app store download
    link2sd
    run it and it will self configure itself if not select ext2 from the menu

takes about 2 mins if you got maglgr already installed on your device
    I made it work allready but watching another tutorial...sorry to say but yours its not so complete.I haved to set active that partition and for those who have CM7 almost all the time its working only with ext4.

Its using link to SD....
    U need not set active etc it may specific to ur device or Tom..
    Regarding extension type..
    I will update the guide....

Added- guide updated :)

.................I Walk In Shadows...!..................