471 posts
Thanks Meter: 927

Post Reply Email Thread
19th March 2017, 02:49 PM |#1481  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotoLOTO-

Well, then figure out how reliable your int flash memory is. If it's eMMC then it's one of the cheapest on the market and prolly not most reliable but who knows ... look into it.

It is an eMMC (**** )
What do you mean by unreliable tho?
19th March 2017, 03:08 PM |#1482  
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihad15

It is an eMMC (**** )
What do you mean by unreliable tho?

I think you said it yourself, if I may quote you 'Will using a persistent live distro (a live distro that saves changes) cause alot of wear and tear to my phones storage?' Wear and tear - reads/writes to the flash memory ... it only has so many times that it allows data to be written to it. As I said eMMC is cheap flash memory and it is by no means as fast as SSD. But to your concern - I'm not sure how many TBW total bytes written your int eMMC allows. You know that with moder SSDs the manufacturers warn and give precise number of the TBW. Then again those have been well exceeded by ppl I know and their memory still works so ... it's a toss of a coin Guess I wouldn't push it too much if I were you but then again you are not going to use your live distro non-stop all the time so I guess it's safe nuff, after all.

Here's some more info to satisfy your curiousity
https://www.howtogeek.com/196541/emm...rage-is-equal/
This one from Samsung is interesting - http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor...-storage/emmc/ I can't agree with them completely in all they say (after all it's Samsung) but the point is that you can find your eMMC's vendor and find a similar table to the one from Samsung. Once you are there look for TBW. Look also for SLC, MLC, and TLC (google those) as that will also tell you sth about the reliability of the memory.
19th March 2017, 03:16 PM |#1483  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotoLOTO-

I think you said it yourself, if I may quote you 'Will using a persistent live distro (a live distro that saves changes) cause alot of wear and tear to my phones storage?' Wear and tear - reads/writes to the flash memory ... it only has so many times that it allows data to be written to it. As I said eMMC is cheap flash memory and it is by no means as fast as SSD. But to your concern - I'm not sure how many TBW total bytes written your int eMMC allows. You know that with moder SSDs the manufacturers warn and give precise number of the TBW. Then again those have been well exceeded by ppl I know and their memory still works so ... it's a toss of a coin Guess I wouldn't push it too much if I were you but then again you are not going to use your live distro non-stop all the time so I guess it's safe nuff, after all.

Here's some more info to satisfy your curiousity
https://www.howtogeek.com/196541/emm...rage-is-equal/
This one from Samsung is interesting - http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor...-storage/emmc/ I can't agree with them completely in all they say (after all it's Samsung) but the point is that you can find your eMMC's vendor and find a similar table to the one from Samsung. Once you are there look for TBW. Look also for SLC, MLC, and TLC (google those) as that will also tell you sth about the reliability of the memory.

Thanks for the info, I will look those up
I dont think i will cause that much wear and tear, ill just use it for an hour or two every two or three days
And i wont even be doing something that writes alot of data, mostly reads
3rd April 2017, 03:39 PM |#1484  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
CD-ROM support in Moto G (2nd, 2014)
Hi!
After upgrading from Play Store version 0.9.29 to the latest 0.10.42 beta, I noticed that some of my ISO images stopped booting.
I then found out that it was because they were being mounted as USB drives instead of CD-ROM...
It seems DriveDroid thinks that my Moto G with its stock kernel is not compatible with CD-ROM "emulation", but it did work in the Play Store version. (Even in Win10, the image mounted through my phone shows up either as PEN USB or CDROM...)
Meanwhile, I managed to try version 0.10.37 (before some CDROM related changes), but it seems to behave the same way...
Is this to be expected? Is there anything I can do to help?
3rd April 2017, 08:19 PM |#1485  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by njascgil

Hi!
After upgrading from Play Store version 0.9.29 to the latest 0.10.42 beta, I noticed that some of my ISO images stopped booting.
I then found out that it was because they were being mounted as USB drives instead of CD-ROM...
It seems DriveDroid thinks that my Moto G with its stock kernel is not compatible with CD-ROM "emulation", but it did work in the Play Store version. (Even in Win10, the image mounted through my phone shows up either as PEN USB or CDROM...)
Meanwhile, I managed to try version 0.10.37 (before some CDROM related changes), but it seems to behave the same way...
Is this to be expected? Is there anything I can do to help?

You're absolutely right. It isn't to be expected and it apparently slipped through one of my tests. I've updated the tests and fixed the issue, so it shouldn't happen again. The next release will include the fix and you should see the CD-rom option again.
Thanks for notifying me about the issue. Device specific stuff like this is always hard for me to find, so such problem reports are always greatly appreciated.

EDIT: DriveDroid v0.10.43 has the fix. It should be on Google Play in a few hours.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FrozenCow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FrozenCow Ad-Free
5th April 2017, 03:04 PM |#1486  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCow

DriveDroid v0.10.43 has the fix. It should be on Google Play in a few hours.

Thanks! I can now boot all my images correctly!
However, I noticed something else: Although I have the choice of mounting images as USB pendrive or CD-ROM, the 3 choices do the same thing: mount as CD-ROM only. (This represents no problem to me because I seldom need to mount something as USB drive.)

I would also like to leave some sort of suggestion... When mounting as CD-ROM, would it be possible for drivedroid to show a little CD disc near the image name? It already shows a USB plug with/without a padlock, and I guess a CD icon would also be nice...
5th April 2017, 06:50 PM |#1487  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by njascgil

Thanks! I can now boot all my images correctly!
However, I noticed something else: Although I have the choice of mounting images as USB pendrive or CD-ROM, the 3 choices do the same thing: mount as CD-ROM only. (This represents no problem to me because I seldom need to mount something as USB drive.)

I would also like to leave some sort of suggestion... When mounting as CD-ROM, would it be possible for drivedroid to show a little CD disc near the image name? It already shows a USB plug with/without a padlock, and I guess a CD icon would also be nice...

Hmm, the three choices should be doing something. I have tested it here on a similar Moto G and it does work, but you probably need to reconnect USB in-between changes.

The suggestion for a different icon near the image name, yes. This is what DriveDroid does in normal circumstances. However, the Moto G kernel has a special way of using CD-ROM which does not allow me to read the CD-ROM status (it does allow me to read the 'read-only' status). In that case, DriveDroid defaults its representation of the status to USB.
6th April 2017, 12:47 PM |#1488  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCow

Hmm, the three choices should be doing something. I have tested it here on a similar Moto G and it does work, but you probably need to reconnect USB in-between changes.

I tried to find out what could be happening and this is what I think I've found regarding v0.10.43 and my Moto G (2014, XT1068).
- I couldn't mount any image as USB, but only as CD, even after plugging/unplugging the phone from the PC;
- I then tried do reboot the phone: after rebooting, I managed to mount the DriveDroid test image as USB;
- Then, I managed to mount it again as CD;
- Afterwards, I wasn't able to mount it again as USB, even after reconnecting the USB cable and choosing any of the USB options in DriveDroid.

I'm guessing this isn't expected... As I said, I seldom use USB drive mode, but if you need more testing from me, please just let me know. I'd be glad to help.
12th April 2017, 04:34 AM |#1489  

More
Hi. I brought the app but, I have a problem. After few hours of reading posts and staff I was unable to make it work. What I want is to use it like writable USB drive but, all the USB options are grey out. It shows only the CD option.
Thank you!
23rd April 2017, 11:49 AM |#1490  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Does hosting large iso work with anyone? I'm trying to live boot kali but it won't seem to work. Booting smaller distros like tinycore or slitaz works fine.. Kali or Ubuntu don't want to boot for some reason.. Any ideas? Oh, I'm new with Linux btw.. So easy with the terminology.
S6 G920I 7.0 Noble Rom 3.1 - Nemesis Kernel
24th April 2017, 04:52 PM |#1491  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Don't work in LeTV 1 PRO
Hi.
I have a LeTV 1 PRO (X800) device. The latest versions of DriveDroid do not work.
I start the Wizard, provide Root Access and select the folders to save the .ISO. In the next step, when the message "Hosting DriveDroid Image" and then I see this error window ...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pic...ictureid=55459

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
drivedroid, img, linux, ums, usb

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)