FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] [44433.001 - 2015-11-15] Eureka-ROM - Based on OTA 44433

105 posts
Thanks Meter: 319
 
Post Reply Email Thread
20th October 2016, 05:06 PM |#1781  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 374
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooksx

I did change to flashcast and the apps do work. The problem now, as I posted in the flashcast thread, is that custom DNS does not seem to work. I cannot access any non-UK services oh my Chromecast even though they work on my computer and tablet.

It's possible that the apps themselves have included checks to ensure georestrictions are enforced. Or perhaps Google has made some changes that ignore the DNS when checking location.
Simple DNS manipulation may not be enough anymore and a pure VPN service configured to work on your router may be required.
Even that might not work since companies like Netflix have made a more concerted effort to enforce Georestrictions even denying access from some VPN's.
 
 
1st December 2016, 04:48 AM |#1782  
Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
...
5th December 2016, 04:37 AM |#1783  
Member
boston
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
finally moved my last cc from eureka rom to the autoroot recovery (needed newer firmware to cast a specific service), just wanted to thank the eureka rom team again for all the great work.

holding on to a backup of the final rom build too, just in case
27th April 2017, 06:53 PM |#1784  
Zibri's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
Donate to Me
More
Anything for the new chromecast?
I mean this one:
Chromecast 2015
27th April 2017, 11:50 PM |#1785  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,020
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibri

Anything for the new chromecast?
I mean this one:

Chromecast 2015

I took a quick peek into the Chromecast 2015 forum and it doesn't look like a root exploit has been found for the Chromecast 2015, no until then, no chance.
29th April 2017, 03:54 PM |#1786  
Zibri's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
Donate to Me
More
I was starting to analyze the device to find a way, but I don't eant to reinvent the wheel. In the forums I don't see anyone trying even.. so nobody to talk to..
As of now I just found a curious thing or two but I don't wanto to just talk in a generic forum.. I prefer a more "hacking oriented" one.
29th April 2017, 10:52 PM |#1787  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,020
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibri

I was starting to analyze the device to find a way, but I don't eant to reinvent the wheel. In the forums I don't see anyone trying even.. so nobody to talk to..
As of now I just found a curious thing or two but I don't wanto to just talk in a generic forum.. I prefer a more "hacking oriented" one.

There's not a ton of interest because there simply isn't a large demand. Not to discount those that do want/need root, but they're a minority.
Furthermore, rootable Chromecast 2012s are few and far between, and based on the number of people asking to return to stock, dwindling.
And most importantly, Google showed, intentionally or not, that unlike on phones, root on Chromecast (and probably dedicated media players in general) is transient.

Original root exploit lasted a few months.
It then took over a year for someone to discover the Hubcap exploit, which was also patched in a subsequent firmware release.

If you haven't already read how fail0verflow's Hubcap exploit was discovered and works, it's a great read.

For the passer-by who wonders why root on Chromecast is so difficult compared to phones and tablets
  1. The bootloader is locked
  2. There is no interactivity with the device other than the app-based setup and reset button
    I'm not sure the computer-based setup still works, I think Google moved exclusively to the Google Home (formerly Chromecast app) for setup
  3. You can't mount storage
    Yes, it supports USB OTG, but on a stock device only the bootloader recovery uses it, and the image needs to have a Google Signature
  4. You can't load your own apps
    Chromecast loads apps dynamically from the web via its whitelist. The whitelist is on an HTTPS connection to Google servers, so an MITM attack doesn't work.
30th April 2017, 07:27 PM |#1788  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
Hi was wondering if someone could explain or tell me if its possible assuming it could be but probably not be able to make custom firmware for the chromecast audio since chromecast v1 has custom firmware. i love my cca its great device and hardware for the money, but with the constant disconnects with the device makes me keep switching back to my bluetooth adaptor to stream to my stereo kinda lacks the quality of sound and amp drive compared to cca. i was curious if someone has been trying to work on hacking the device or anything thanks
30th April 2017, 10:01 PM |#1789  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 374
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright09

Hi was wondering if someone could explain or tell me if its possible assuming it could be but probably not be able to make custom firmware for the chromecast audio since chromecast v1 has custom firmware. i love my cca its great device and hardware for the money, but with the constant disconnects with the device makes me keep switching back to my bluetooth adaptor to stream to my stereo kinda lacks the quality of sound and amp drive compared to cca. i was curious if someone has been trying to work on hacking the device or anything thanks

Not until someone finds a root exploit that allows the custom firmware to be flashed.
21st May 2017, 07:43 PM |#1790  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 183
 
More
All my rooted CC's have 44433, but I believe there is a new build? I like EurekaROM because I can disable OTA updates and I don't get them stuck in the black screen with "Chromecast..." at the bottom. IMHO this ROM is far superior than using Autoroot... Just my $0.02
9th June 2017, 02:26 AM |#1791  
Support for Chromecast 2
What exactly can I do with this rom
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes