anyone still using the g1/dream.

297 posts
Thanks Meter: 72

By kidrobot52, Senior Member on 6th June 2013, 03:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th February 2016, 04:28 AM |#41  
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgxda

thank you very much for your answer, today I got the spare part from UK.

What is the correct way to open the G1 to replace that part, is there any hardware/repair manual out in the world?

And an other question:
what is the best Android version for this phone? My one is a devel edition and still has Android 1.6, I'm not going to use the phone for "daily business", it is more for "nostalgic" reasons, having one of the first Android phones in working condition

Thanks a lot,

kind regards,

thgxda

There are disassembly guides on YouTube, well at least there once was, if you can't find any I'll help you dig them up
As for best version this is subjective, but I will say my favorites were froyo and gingerbread as they worked more or less perfect (from what you can expect) and had a fair amount of compatible apps
And in truth this can still make for a great daily phone, depending on what you do daily of course
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free

27th February 2016, 12:08 AM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

There are disassembly guides on YouTube, well at least there once was, if you can't find any I'll help you dig them up

probably this one is ok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJgojrvjh8A

Unfortunately it seems, that at least I have to remove the mainboard, to access the two screws and the two clips, to remove the "home-button"-part. Well will take my time for this on the weekend ...

Thanks a lot,

kind regards, thgxda
27th February 2016, 12:46 AM |#43  
Looks like a perfect video, really an easy job even if you consider yourself a novice, so don't be too worried
27th February 2016, 08:56 PM |#44  

More
Quote:

Looks like a perfect video, really an easy job even if you consider yourself a novice, so don't be too worried

well, it was the best I found, but it's far of being perfect, because I'm quite sure, he broke s.th. while removing the back.

I don't think that I'm a "novice", I've opened (repaired and put back together) successfully a lot of smart phones (and other electronics) before, but the G1 was not easy, because it needed some "uncommon" force.

Maybe it is easier for others to open it, if they know how it is closed and where to take extra care, maybe, I destroyed my G1 while opening

To open the phone, first unscrew all five screws, then lift it firmly on both sides:

Then open the clips on the bottom of the phone an lift it firmly:

Take care, that you do not enter with your tools too much into the phone, otherwise you might damage the cable, that is located behind one of the clips!

Next, open the clips at the top of the phone and remove the back:

Now remove the main board, located on the bottom, first remove two plugs and two antenna cables:

Then firmly open the clip and lift the board up (on the picture, the cable is still connected!):

Finally get it firmly out of the clip at the other end, take care with the two cables, connected at the other side of the board:

Now you can push the main board firmly by side and open the three screws underneath the board:

Last step, before replacing the lower keymate, is removing the cover.

The two arrows on the left, indicate the clips you have to open from the other side, the two on the right you have to open from the side:

So after disassembling my G1, now I have to wait for the new spare part, hopefully I get it back in fully working condition!

Kind regards,

thgxda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_01.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	3662488   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_02.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	3662489   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_03.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	3662490   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_04.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	3662491   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_05.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	3662492   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_06.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	3662493   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_07.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	3662494   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_08.jpg
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	3662495   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_09.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	3662496   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_10.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	3662497   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_11.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	3662498   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCDreamG1_12.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	3662499  
The Following User Says Thank You to thgxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thgxda Ad-Free
27th February 2016, 10:23 PM |#45  
Nice write up!
Didn't mean any insult with the novice comment either, just to be clear
I still have like 30-40 of these phones in a drawer if you need any parts by the way (used to fix phones as a hobby) if you need any parts feel free to pm me, but I think you mentioned your in Europe so they may not work well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
6th March 2016, 12:17 AM |#46  

More
Quote:

Nice write up!

thanks

Quote:

Didn't mean any insult with the novice comment either, just to be clear

Well, with the G1, I was "novice", putting it back together needed two try's, with the first one I didn't inserted the "bar" of the sliding mechanism correctly in it's fitting under the navigation-buttons.

But now it's back together and works

Quote:

I still have like 30-40 of these phones in a drawer if you need any parts by the way (used to fix phones as a hobby) if you need any parts feel free to pm me, but I think you mentioned your in Europe so they may not work well

That's indeed a lot

I just have two of them, a "Dev Phone 1" with Android 1.6 and a T-Mobile version with Android 2.3.7 I bought for spare parts and accessory, but I was able to get this up an running too. So I'm fine with these two, as first Android-phones in Germany

But I still have some other SmartPhones, round about a dozen Palm/HP webOS-devices (one of them is still in daily use), plus BB10- and FireFox-SmartPhones, ok and two other old Sony Ericsson, one with Symbian, one with Android, both with physical keyboard
13th April 2017, 11:16 PM |#47  
Flag Citrus Heights
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4sMa

Still using mine as a WiFi hotspot. Since I have a free data only SIM with a volume monthly quota of 30GB

How? Do those still work and where can i get one?

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbskinner22

I want to use my G1 as a screen keyboard and mouse for my raspberry pi. It would be great if I could make it usb plug and play so I could just plug it into any pi and be off.

I'm using my old mytouch 4g as an IP camera. The g1's camera isn't as good but that's another idea.

Does it work for the rpi?
12th May 2017, 10:38 PM |#48  
Flag Lyndhurst, NJ
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have one that I picked up on the cheap from fleaBay for $10. It's running CM 4.2.15 (and thank the many gods that I still had a backup of all of the old CM files I downloaded way back when in 2009/2010 for my old MyTouch 3G!). I went to the old CyanogenMod web page via Wayback Machine, grabbed all the files, and flashed the G1 with them. I did use 1.0 for a little bit though just to take in how positively *ancient* Android 1.0 truly is compared to now!

I'll be using it as a burner/backup phone, and to mostly futz around with. My Nexus 5X is my daily driver phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to LambdaCalculus379 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LambdaCalculus379 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)