FORUMS

[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root

11,421 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,231

By Chainfire, XDA Ad-Free Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 8th November 2012, 06:19 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
28th May 2017, 11:30 AM |#2031  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello Chainfire,

Can I use the CF auto root for Tecno W2? A mediatek phone. I am having a Triada malware on it and i need root to disable adups fota
28th May 2017, 02:20 PM |#2032  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Brilliant - thanks very much for that, appreciate it! A simple link makes finding a needle in a haystack a lot quicker.

Once I flash TWRP so, does it matter where on my phone I copy the downloaded SuperSU v2.79 file to in order to flash it in recovery? (Bearing in mind that I've an SM-G920F and therefore no external SD).

Even contemplated just sticking with a stock rom and running 'Debloater' by GJ, but having tried on a new stock rom and reading a tonnes of forum pages here after encountering ("Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS. ") - it seems Google have disabled 'Debloater' from running adb commands and GJ hasn't been able to find a workaround to date. So once I know where to stick the SuperSU v2.79 file - I'll give it a go.

Again - thanks.
28th May 2017, 02:49 PM |#2033  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,840

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The..King

Brilliant - thanks very much for that, appreciate it! A simple link makes finding a needle in a haystack a lot quicker.

Once I flash TWRP so, does it matter where on my phone I copy the downloaded SuperSU v2.79 file to in order to flash it in recovery? (Bearing in mind that I've an SM-G920F and therefore no external SD).

Even contemplated just sticking with a stock rom and running 'Debloater' by GJ, but having tried on a new stock rom and reading a tonnes of forum pages here after encountering ("Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS. ") - it seems Google have disabled 'Debloater' from running adb commands and GJ hasn't been able to find a workaround to date. So once I know where to stick the SuperSU v2.79 file - I'll give it a go.

Again - thanks.

As long as your device isn't using encryption you should be fine copying to internal storage.
If not you can try adb sideload.
29th May 2017, 12:06 PM |#2034  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx

Forget about cfautoroot. Just install twrp and then flash SuperSU v2.79 sr3.

I took a backup of my SM-G920F and was about to flash TWRP & SuperSU as you suggested, but I just read this on the TWRP website:
Quote:

"This device uses dm-verity!
This means that swiping to allow system modifications (in TWRP) will prevent you from being able to boot if you are using the stock kernel. In order to bypass dm-verity's boot prevention, you will have to install a kernel that has dm-verity disabled in the fstab."

Can I just get some clarity on this? i.e. The whole reason why I have always used CF Auto-root in the past (apart from being uncomplicated to use) is that it leaves the stock rom in place and just gives SuperSU access without messing around with anything else.
As Chainfire says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

"Simply flashing AutoRoot does not wipe data."

In fact, the only reason I am currently 'here' now, is because I had DM Verity issues after downgrading from stock 7.0 back to stock 6.0.1 and Chainfire doesn't seem to have a version of CF Auto-root for the SM-G920F based on the latest/last 6.0.1 build (G920FXXS5DQC4_G920FXEU5DQB8_XEU).

Subsequently, when I try the current CF Auto-root (over on https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/) based on 7.0 (NRD90M.G920FXXU5EQD7) - it works but I get DM Verity issues. It's the same if I try an older CF Auto-root I still had on my PC which is at least based on the same Andriod version 6.0.1 - but an earlier build (MMB29K.G920FXXU4DHP5) - it works but I get DM Verity issues because it's not the latest build of 6.0.1 and I can't downgrade the stock 6.0.1 to an earlier version because I get "sw rev check fail device 5 binary 4" when I try to flash it over a newer bootloader which I assume happened during the 7.0 update. (By the way, 'OEM unlock' is not listed in developer options on my phone and according to many websites I've read - it apparently means that my bootloader is not locked? Damned if I know. I'm just mentioning this because if I could downgrade to an earlier stock rom of 6.0.1 without encountering the "sw rev check fail device 5 binary 4" error, then I could still use the earlier CF Auto-root I still have (MMB29K.G920FXXU4DHP5) without getting any DM Verity issues. (aka. Back to where I was before this whole upgrading mess.)

To be clear, my objective is to keep the normal stock rom on 6.0.1, but to have root access.

Finally, the TWRP website also states:
Quote:

"For the vast majority of devices, you don't actually remove TWRP to get back to the stock recovery (if you don't like it or want to use it anymore). Installing a different recovery is your only real option. Simply install whatever recovery that you want and that will overwrite or replace TWRP."

Does that mean finding an official stock rom (usually from Sammobile) and then flashing it to the phone, which may result in loss of data?

Sorry for more questions, but outside of what is known to me over the years from rooting S2, S3, S5, S6 many times - I don't know much about the complexities of roms, kernals, recoveries, binaries, etc. Just a stock rom, root access and no major messing around with anything - and I'm all good.

Thanks in advance as always.
29th May 2017, 12:39 PM |#2035  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The..King

I took a backup of my SM-G920F and was about to flash TWRP & SuperSU as you suggested, but I just read this on the TWRP website:

Can I just get some clarity on this? i.e. The whole reason why I have always used CF Auto-root in the past (apart from being uncomplicated to use) is that it leaves the stock rom in place and just gives SuperSU access without messing around with anything else.
As Chainfire says: In fact, the only reason I am currently 'here' now, is because I had DM Verity issues after downgrading from stock 7.0 back to stock 6.0.1 and Chainfire doesn't seem to have a version of CF Auto-root for the SM-G920F based on the latest/last 6.0.1 build (G920FXXS5DQC4_G920FXEU5DQB8_XEU).

Subsequently, when I try the current CF Auto-root (over on https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/) based on 7.0 (NRD90M.G920FXXU5EQD7) - it works but I get DM Verity issues. It's the same if I try an older CF Auto-root I still had on my PC which is at least based on the same Andriod version 6.0.1 - but an earlier build (MMB29K.G920FXXU4DHP5) - it works but I get DM Verity issues because it's not the latest build of 6.0.1 and I can't downgrade the stock 6.0.1 to an earlier version because I get "sw rev check fail device 5 binary 4" when I try to flash it over a newer bootloader which I assume happened during the 7.0 update. (By the way, 'OEM unlock' is not listed in developer options on my phone and according to many websites I've read - it apparently means that my bootloader is not locked? Damned if I know. I'm just mentioning this because if I could downgrade to an earlier stock rom of 6.0.1 without encountering the "sw rev check fail device 5 binary 4" error, then I could still use the earlier CF Auto-root I still have (MMB29K.G920FXXU4DHP5) without getting any DM Verity issues. (aka. Back to where I was before this whole upgrading mess.)

To be clear, my objective is to keep the normal stock rom on 6.0.1, but to have root access.

Finally, the TWRP website also states:

Does that mean finding an official stock rom (usually from Sammobile) and then flashing it to the phone, which may result in loss of data?

Sorry for more questions, but outside of what is known to me over the years from rooting S2, S3, S5, S6 many times - I don't know much about the complexities of roms, kernals, recoveries, binaries, etc. Just a stock rom, root access and no major messing around with anything - and I'm all good.

Thanks in advance as always.

OK just to clear a few things up.
CFautoroot and supersu are the same product.
The only difference is that CFautoroot reflashes the stock recovery after its done rooting.
Both use custom recoveries to install and both use SuperSU.
CFautoroot is ALWAYS behind SuperSU in development. That's why it's recommended to install the latest Supersu to avoid issues especially when using the latest firmware.

Neither CFautoroot nor supersu modify the stock rom.
SuperSU will automatically disable dmverity so that is not an issue.
31st May 2017, 11:50 PM |#2036  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Used the new cf-autoroot for nougat 7.0 on a Samsung S7 Edge.
I could not get past the PIN code at boot because it kept saying wrong PIN. Had the same issue with TWRP.
Does this mean that cf autoroot, just like twrp, does not work with encrypted data, and I have to disable pin at boot and format data, before using cf autoroot?
I really hoped that cf autoroot would bypass this...
1st June 2017, 01:28 AM |#2037  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
CF Auto root on older android versions
Would CF Auto root for Android Nougat work for Marshmellow?
1st June 2017, 02:15 AM |#2038  
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboDaddins

Would CF Auto root for Android Nougat work for Marshmellow?

No it wont work because of the changes in system between MM and Nougat...
1st June 2017, 03:10 AM |#2039  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Tried and worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyLG123

No it wont work because of the changes in system between MM and Nougat...

I flashed Android 7.0 CFAuto Root on my Note5 running Android 6.0.1 and it worked fine. Weird thing is on the stock recovery it says Android 7.0 but I am running 6.0.1.
1st June 2017, 04:19 AM |#2040  
Quote:

I flashed Android 7.0 CFAuto Root on my Note5 running Android 6.0.1 and it worked fine. Weird thing is on the stock recovery it says Android 7.0 but I am running 6.0.1.

Ive seen it not work for others but if you didnt get bootloop thats good..i also have a n5 but 920c but there is a cf for 920 on 6.01..
1st June 2017, 08:29 AM |#2041  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It's not weird, you've flashed the stock recovery from Android 7.0.
Thats what CF-AUTOROOT does.
The Following User Says Thank You to ashyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ashyx Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread