Disable Automatic Backlight Dimming while Charging

Search This thread

DeMiNe0

Dec 13, 2007
Hey Everyone,

I'm running into an issue, that i'm sure many of you have ran into at some point and found a way around.

When I have my Phone Plugged into the Charger (For example when in my car) after a set amount of time (I think it's around 30 seconds) my screen will Dim to only about 25% brightness(But never shut off completely). As you can imagine, this is horribly inconvenient when I'm running Google maps or sprint navigation.

How can I make it, so that when I'm charging the phone, the screen just always stays on and does not dim at all? And then when i'm on battery the screen resumes the normal behavior of shutting off after 30 seconds.

I've tried setting the "Stay Awake" option under "Applications > Development" to on, I've also tried setting the "Automatic Brightness" option under "Sound & Display > Brightness" to off. Neither of these worked.

The only thing that DOES work, is setting the "Screen Timeout" option under "Sound & Display" to "Never turn Off". But this disables the Automatic Shutoff of the screen even when on battery.

Anyone have a solution for me? My phone is rooted using Toast's method.

tmellen

Feb 17, 2008
St. Louis
My screen never did this (Droid Incredible) until I installed then uninstalled Widget Locker. Now I can't get it to stay lit for Google Maps or anything for that matter, which is infuriating since it worked fine YESTERDAY (and the previous two months).

Setting? Service? Anyone know?

fachadick

Jul 3, 2010
Northern NJ
fachadick.wordpress.com
Hey Everyone,

I'm running into an issue, that i'm sure many of you have ran into at some point and found a way around.

When I have my Phone Plugged into the Charger (For example when in my car) after a set amount of time (I think it's around 30 seconds) my screen will Dim to only about 25% brightness(But never shut off completely). As you can imagine, this is horribly inconvenient when I'm running Google maps or sprint navigation.

How can I make it, so that when I'm charging the phone, the screen just always stays on and does not dim at all? And then when i'm on battery the screen resumes the normal behavior of shutting off after 30 seconds.

I've tried setting the "Stay Awake" option under "Applications > Development" to on, I've also tried setting the "Automatic Brightness" option under "Sound & Display > Brightness" to off. Neither of these worked.

The only thing that DOES work, is setting the "Screen Timeout" option under "Sound & Display" to "Never turn Off". But this disables the Automatic Shutoff of the screen even when on battery.

Anyone have a solution for me? My phone is rooted using Toast's method.

Yeah this was driving me nuts too. I ended up downloading an app called Screen On. Its a toggle that will disable the dimming, and basically keep the screen on until you turn it off (either through the toggle or menu bar).