G Pad QuickRemote App

Search This thread

tranzparentl

Nov 18, 2013
I tried using the quickremote app and only see the option to add a TV and Cable Box with limited options. Looking on the G2 forums for the QuickRemote I see people talking about adding their Xbox, receiver, etc and also mention a custom option for having it learn devices not built in. Am I missing something or are we dealing with an limited version of the app?

Maybe I'll have to try an alternate IR app. Would really like something that can do activities similar to the Harmony remotes. I still use my Harmony One with a broken screen.

Zarrick19

Mar 15, 2011
Košice
True, true. Looks like the G Pad got something like a light version of the G2's QuickRemote. I was searching for 3rd party IR remote controls but haven't find anything.

Drakh1

Feb 26, 2011
I used an ir remote app on my Samsung tab 3. But it doesn't work on the G PAD. And here is why:
" Unfortunately our app doesn't work on the*G PAD*(or any other*LG*device), because*LG's IR Blaster access is locked and encrypted and we haven't been able until this point to crack that encryption. The only way to access the blaster is through*LG's sdk, which doesn't allow the use of our own database, but instead only being given access to devices already configured through QuickRemote."

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

tranzparentl

Nov 18, 2013
I think I might just bite the bullet and get one of these.

logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-ultimate-hub?crid=60

It will have way more functionality than the QuickRemote app will ever have and also work with my wife's Nexus 10 and both our smartphones.
Also nice that it doesn't have to be in IR line of sight view for it to work.

SleepingBear

Nov 15, 2013
Bought this pad for almost only one reason, to have it as a remote in my cinema.

But can only say that I fell for it to hard to change to a samsung tab instead.

As you already have implemented the remote functions of this device are worse than bad at the moment. But I emailed the folks of the TouchSquid app a while back. By the looks of it is the best suited remote app for me.

They said that when LG finally will release their codes, the TouchSquid app will be able to handle the G Pad. :highfive:

Hope it wont take to long for LG to release it though....

Reactions: comk4ver

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
Bought this pad for almost only one reason, to have it as a remote in my cinema.

As you already have implemented the remote functions of this device are worse than bad at the moment. But I emailed the folks of the TouchSquid app a while back. By the looks of it is the best suited remote app for me.

They said that when LG finally will release their codes, the TouchSquid app will be able to handle the G Pad. :highfive:

Just curious, but what's the advantage of using QRemote over, say, a Logitech Harmony remote?

SleepingBear

Nov 15, 2013
Just curious, but what's the advantage of using QRemote over, say, a Logitech Harmony remote?

At the moment I got a Harmony 1100, the worst thing with the remote is that it is so slow. Then there are other minor problems.

The G Pad will also be a universal remote for the whole home. Heat, light, surveillance, curtains and so on. So I want "one to rule it all" -kinda way remote for the house.

Zarrick19

Mar 15, 2011
Košice
The G Pad will also be a universal remote for the whole home. Heat, light, surveillance, curtains and so on. So I want "one to rule it all" -kinda way remote for the house.

Forget it, dude, QR won't work like that. For all that stuff (heat, light etc.) you will need a complete control system connected to wifi and an app for that, or stuff something like that. QR's app and IR won't make it...

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
At the moment I got a Harmony 1100, the worst thing with the remote is that it is so slow. Then there are other minor problems.

The G Pad uses IR to control TVs, etc. Do all of your other devices also respond to IR? Also, IR requires you to be in the same room, so it's not very well suited to the kind of whole home automation you're talking about. With IR, you would have to walk around with the device to point it at the things you want to control. A system using radio would make more sense.

As far as the functions QRemote is designed to do, i.e., IR control of TV's, etc., a regular wand-style Harmony remote is a lot cheaper and does a good job.

SleepingBear

Nov 15, 2013
I know it won't work with the IR, never said it either. Going to use a network based station and controll it through wifi.

It may be cheaper with a harmony remote (specially when I already got one) but where's the fun in that. ;)

gerrya

Sep 9, 2013
Smart IR

Have you tried this app Smart IR Remote? If so, does it work well?

Thanks in advance ;)

I have that app on my HTC One and love it. I thought I could use it on the GPE edition but it will not work. Here is what the developer told me "Unfortunately our app doesn't work on the GPad (or any other LG device), because LG's IR Blaster access is locked and encrypted and we haven't been able until this point to crack that encryption. The only way to access the blaster is through LG's sdk, which doesn't allow the use of our own database, but instead only being given access to devices already configured through QuickRemote."

Lucien2

Dec 25, 2013
Less feature packed Quick Remote than is on LG G2(on G Pad, no "off brand" televisions for selection and only TV & settop boxes can be programmed, whereas LG G2 you can do numererous types of devices from air conditioners to Blu Ray players...

xdapao3

Oct 31, 2008
Less feature packed Quick Remote than is on LG G2(on G Pad, no "off brand" televisions for selection and only TV & settop boxes can be programmed, whereas LG G2 you can do numererous types of devices from air conditioners to Blu Ray players...

Yes, this was a big disappointment for me.
I have a Samsung 40" TV and a couple of IR controlled fans in my apartment and I would have loved to be ablet to controll all of them instead of just the TV...

IR blasters are becoming very common (which is a very good thing for me) among both smartphones and tablets but unfortunately very few of them can be fully taken advantage of...
I don't care much about pre-sets, all I want is a "learn function" (i.e. an IR receiver/sensor and not just a blaster, plus of course the SW to manage it).

DJ_Headshot

Feb 9, 2012
Defiantly disappointing that the quick remote is so limited on the g pad vs the g2 weird that LG would gimp it like that hopefully they will upgrade this app to be like the phone version in functionality.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

comk4ver

Aug 21, 2010

Any word from touch squid?

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk

enxx

Jun 30, 2017
Just bought it...

I just bought the G Pad for the same reason, to use it to control my TV and cable box, and this sucks!!!!! the QuickRemote doesnt have my TV and Cable box, and can't use 3rd party app to use the IR blaster, has anyone found a solution? if not I'm returning this....

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The G Pad uses IR to control TVs, etc. Do all of your other devices also respond to IR? Also, IR requires you to be in the same room, so it's not very well suited to the kind of whole home automation you're talking about. With IR, you would have to walk around with the device to point it at the things you want to control. A system using radio would make more sense.

As far as the functions QRemote is designed to do, i.e., IR control of TV's, etc., a regular wand-style Harmony remote is a lot cheaper and does a good job.

Thanks in advance ;)
    Smart IR

Thanks in advance ;)

I have that app on my HTC One and love it. I thought I could use it on the GPE edition but it will not work. Here is what the developer told me "Unfortunately our app doesn't work on the GPad (or any other LG device), because LG's IR Blaster access is locked and encrypted and we haven't been able until this point to crack that encryption. The only way to access the blaster is through LG's sdk, which doesn't allow the use of our own database, but instead only being given access to devices already configured through QuickRemote."