[RECOVERY][KERNEL][Xperia XA1 and Ultra- Versions] Jan-18-2019

Search This thread

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Try the one from first thread..one from XA1 ultra. Try to boot with them at the first step.

fastboot boot boot.img
If it works then flash it, similarly with recovery
fastboot boot recovery.img
If it boot into recovery then flash it.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

I'm unable to boot into fastboot. Been trying for many hours without any success. I turn off my device and connect the usb cable and at the same time hold volume down button. The LED goes red then off then red then forever keeps rebooting. After some time it starts the phone as normal.

Last edited:

Ticklefish

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
I'm unable to boot into fastboot. Been trying for many hours without any success. I turn off my device and connect the usb cable and at the same time hold volume down button. The LED goes red then off then red then forever keeps rebooting. After some time it starts the phone as normal.

Have you installed fastboot drivers?

Sent from my Sony Xperia XA1 using XDA Labs

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Have you installed fastboot drivers?

I think I know what the issue is since I've had this problem before. Windows f**k**g 10!!!!! Grrrr.

Many people say that adb/fasboot drivers do not work properly on Windows 10 yet works perfectly fine on 8.1 and so on...

Unfortunately I am unable to try on an alternative device as my Dell Alienware gaming laptop is Windows 10.1 and so is my custom gaming pc. :(

All I can try and do now is fully install Android Studio/Java & SDK full to try and get the device properly working on windows 10.1.

Ticklefish

Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
I think I know what the issue is since I've had this problem before. Windows f**k**g 10!!!!! Grrrr.

Many people say that adb/fasboot drivers do not work properly on Windows 10 yet works perfectly fine on 8.1 and so on...

Unfortunately I am unable to try on an alternative device as my Dell Alienware gaming laptop is Windows 10.1 and so is my custom gaming pc. :(

All I can try and do now is fully install Android Studio/Java & SDK full to try and get the device properly working on windows 10.1.

I'm sure there must be something good about Windows 10...somewhere..:)

I hope you get it working!

---------- Post added 6th July 2017 at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th July 2017 at 11:21 PM ----------

I am sharing my Stock kernel/boot.img build from Sony open source + custom recovery TWRP.

Is it possible to build a DRM fix into these kernels at all? There's mention of one here: [url]https://xdaforums.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/root-root-stock-firmware-modern-sony-t3558904[/url]

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
As I thought I was 100% right. After trying a third laptop having Windows 8.1, it was rather easy installing ADB & Fast Boot drivers...

Unlocking the bootloader loader was also easy.

Now for the good news. I was able to flash recovery. And for the bad. Even though I copied SuperSU in the internal phone memory, when booting in recovery, I am not able to see the "download" folder which is where I copied SuperSU to. Why am I not able to view the folders?

Even when mounting system, it is not displaying what is inside the folders.

All the files and folders are reading 0mb. Would simply putting SuperSU on an external memory card be accessible?

Last edited:

janjan

Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Aalborg
tweaksyourandroid.weebly.com
As I thought I was 100% right. After trying a third laptop having Windows 8.1, it was rather easy installing ADB & Fast Boot drivers...

Unlocking the bootloader loader was also easy.

Here is the bad part. Flashing the recovery made no difference. Even though I get the confirmation message it was successful yet I have no recovery. Even tried booting in recovery by holding the power button and volume up at the same time. Not working at all.

Any suggestions?? I have XA Ultra G3212 Dual Sim.

- Now unplug your device from your PC and hold Vol down + power buttons. You have to release both buttons after first vibrate.

You should need to read first. Who told u to use power button and volume up at the same time?

Last edited:
Reactions: kanej2006

janjan

Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Aalborg
I'm sure there must be something good about Windows 10...somewhere..:)

I hope you get it working!

---------- Post added 6th July 2017 at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th July 2017 at 11:21 PM ----------

Is it possible to build a DRM fix into these kernels at all? There's mention of one here: https://xdaforums.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/root-root-stock-firmware-modern-sony-t3558904

Can't open the link..

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Thank you so much janjan for all your help and support.

I'm finally fully rooted and recovery is working just perfect.

Now I can finally run apps which require root access which previously did not work.

GMD Auto Hide soft keys, Adaway, Titanium Backup and Root Explorer all of which require root are working flawlessly.

Now for the good news for everybody. I was skeptical at first to unlock the bootloader as in some cases you lose Sony Enhancements, loss of camera quality, poor high iso performance /image noise, etc...

I can confirm that apart from losing DRM keys, nothing else is lost!

There is no impact in camera quality, iso performance /image noise is the same with no degradation and Sony image enhancements all working.

The phone feels so much faster and more responsive. I cannot live without Adaway.

Previously there was so much lag due to sh*tty ads. Every website was full of ads causing lag and further battery loss...

Ever since root access and the use of Adaway, there has not been any lag ever since.

To others if it may help. This amazing and 100% working guide from janjan even works on XA1 Ultra Dual sim!

Thanks Jan jan for your effort and hard work in making it possible to flash recovery and root the device, feels like a whole new beast in every possible way. Far more responsive after removing bloatware and blocking Ads.

Last edited:

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Battery is VERY impressive. As of now I've had 3 hours 44 minutes SOT and still have 35% battery!!

I get around 6 hours SOT on my XA1 Ultra, VERY impressive for a 6" 1080P screen and 2700 mAh battery.

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
janjan bro, I've got a question, after unlocking bootloader, flashing kernel, recovery and rooting, are we still able to update our software?

I connected my XA1 Ultra to my laptop and I have a message saying the latest software is ready to be installed. Will this work or shall I not bother?

I have a feeling the only way to update is manually by flashing it in the recovery.

janjan

Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Aalborg
janjan bro, I've got a question, after unlocking bootloader, flashing kernel, recovery and rooting, are we still able to update our software?

I connected my XA1 Ultra to my laptop and I have a message saying the latest software is ready to be installed. Will this work or shall I not bother?

I have a feeling the only way to update is manually by flashing it in the recovery.

No OTA after unlocking the bootloader. Yes u r right..only manual by flashing into recovery.

Ticklefish

Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Thank you so much janjan for all your help and support.

I'm finally fully rooted and recovery is working just perfect.

Now I can finally run apps which require root access which previously did not work.

GMD Auto Hide soft keys, Adaway, Titanium Backup and Root Explorer all of which require root are working flawlessly.

Now for the good news for everybody. I was skeptical at first to unlock the bootloader as in some cases you lose Sony Enhancements, loss of camera quality, poor high iso performance /image noise, etc...

I can confirm that apart from losing DRM keys, nothing else is lost!

There is no impact in camera quality, iso performance /image noise is the same with no degradation and Sony image enhancements all working.

The phone feels so much faster and more responsive. I cannot live without Adaway.

Previously there was so much lag due to sh*tty ads. Every website was full of ads causing lag and further battery loss...

Ever since root access and the use of Adaway, there has not been any lag ever since.

To others if it may help. This amazing and 100% working guide from janjan even works on XA1 Ultra Dual sim!

Thanks Jan jan for your effort and hard work in making it possible to flash recovery and root the device, feels like a whole new beast in every possible way. Far more responsive after removing bloatware and blocking Ads.

That's very interesting to hear. I think I may have to take the plunge and unlock my bootloader after all. I haven't done any modding in months and I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms!

That message is probably talking about PC Companion. Unless you've set the phone not to do it, it'll try to install the tool every time it connects to the computer.

You can't use PC Companion to update your phone once it has an unlocked bootloader but you might be able to do it with Emma. That's a flashtool made by Sony for unlocked bootloaders only.

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
That message is probably talking about PC Companion. Unless you've set the phone not to do it, it'll try to install the tool every time it connects to the computer.

You can't use PC Companion to update your phone once it has an unlocked bootloader but you might be able to do it with Emma. That's a flashtool made by Sony for unlocked bootloaders only.

Yeah, you are right. I did hear about Emma, very interesting...

However, for a newly released device, current support and development is good.

Thanks to janjan we already have recovery and root, already a huge step ahead...

To be honest, in many cases it takes months for root to be acquired so cannot complain.

In fact, very soon we'll probably see mods and even custom roms...

I'm quite surprised in another way, the screen is hands down AMAZING on this phone, sharpness and colour.

I played some ultra HD videos on both my XA1 Ultra & my Xiaomi Mi Mix, both having the same quality 1080P screen.

Very easily the Sony is far sharper and punchier colours. Just as all the reviews said, even though the XA1 Ultra is only a mid ranger, the screen is better than other high end flagships such as the XZ Ultra...

janjan

Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Aalborg
Yeah, you are right. I did hear about Emma, very interesting...

However, for a newly released device, current support and development is good.

Thanks to janjan we already have recovery and root, already a huge step ahead...

To be honest, in many cases it takes months for root to be acquired so cannot complain.

In fact, very soon we'll probably see mods and even custom roms...

I'm quite surprised in another way, the screen is hands down AMAZING on this phone, sharpness and colour.

I played some ultra HD videos on both my XA1 Ultra & my Xiaomi Mi Mix, both having the same quality 1080P screen.

Very easily the Sony is far sharper and punchier colours. Just as all the reviews said, even though the XA1 Ultra is only a mid ranger, the screen is better than other high end flagships such as the XZ Ultra...

To be honest I was almost done with a custom ROM, but I dropped it. I received only 1 or 2 reports regarding boot.img and recovery.img..no one appreciate the work people do. I was asking about reports but no answer..only 7 or 8 thanks..

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
To be honest I was almost done with a custom ROM, but I dropped it. I received only 1 or 2 reports regarding boot.img and recovery.img..no one appreciate the work people do. I was asking about reports but no answer..only 7 or 8 thanks..

I am sorry to hear that. Sad but true, no appreciation nowadays. People do not understand the time and effort it takes to make a rom. I completely understand where you are coming from.

Reactions: Ticklefish

Ticklefish

Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK

I must have missed that. Where were you asking for reports?

Your work is very much appreciated and a rom could be amazing. It's a shame more people don't know of the work you've done here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vnm2k3.png
    Xperia XA1 (G3121), Xperia XA1 Dual(G3112), Xperia XA1 Ultra(G3221/G3223), Xperia XA1 Ultra Dual(G3212) and Xperia XA1 plus Dual (G3412)-SHOULD ALSO WORKS WITH OTHER VERSION TOO.
    I am sharing my kernel/boot.img, which is build from Sony Open Source/Qualcomm/ and android source (Very close to Stock KERNEL). Designed to keep balance security/ with high Performance and battery life.​
    Code:
    ###Disclaimer###
    I am not responsible for any damage, broken or boot looping.
    Please read the instructions and notes before flashing anything. Don't ask me if you don't read the instructions.
    Please respect and try to help each other. You may face sometimes that I cannot answer your questions/or answer your questions a bit later. I am busy with my work and don't have enough time to read and answer all your questions at the same time.

DONATE ME HERE
    DONATE-HERE

##############################
    Requirements-

- A working driver for your device.
    USB drivers for Xperia devices
    - Unlock bootloader
    - YOUR firmware must match my kernel version. I used to update the kernel with latest firmware. (DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION FROM HERE:- LATEST FLASHTOOL)
    - Backup your stuff for future
    - YOU NEED a refresh stock ROM (means you have to wipe EVERYTHING). Use flashtool to flash the latest firmware. (Remember to check Wipe USERDATA in flashtool)

Instructions-FLASHING KERNEL/BOOT AND CUSTOM-TWRP RECOVERY

- First flash the latest firmware.
    - Then You need to flash my kernel/boot image and then the twrp-recovery
    Code:
    - adb devices
    - adb reboot bootloader
    - fastboot flash boot boot.img
    - fastboot reboot (YES WE HAVE TO REBOOT)
    - Let the device boot completely
    - Ensure everything is working, Then
    - Reboot the your device into bootloader again and flash the custom- recovery image
    Code:
    - adb reboot bootloader
    - fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    IMPORTANT
    - Now unplug your device and hold Vol down + power buttons. You have to release both buttons after vibrate.
    - Enjoy custom recovery
    - Flash the latest magisk to achieve root
    - Enjoy

Features 17/9/2018

- Based on latest kernel source VERSION = 4, PATCHLEVEL = 4, SUBLEVEL = 83 (48.1.A.2.50) January 9, 2019
    - Up to date with the September security update—January 9, 2019
    - Hide verifiedbootstate from /proc/cmdline in order to fix the failed SafetyNet CTS check(It can still fail through other means)-GOOGLE PAY SHOULD WORK
    - Remove verifiedbootstate flag from /proc/cmdline - Disable CRC check
    - Support wireguard VPN protocol
    - dm-verity removed
    - Sepolicy is patched for latest Oreo (deodex ROMs)
    - Scheduler optimize/support for heterogeneous multi-core. Battery efficiency
    - Multi-core scheduler enable/optimized
    - A lot subsystems converted to use power efficient work-queues
    - CAF improvements and optimized
    - Enable latest energy aware scheduling patches
    - Enable work-queue power-efficient mode by default
    - Several other patches to improve the speed and battery usage
    - Tweaked the scheduler to reduce/save power by scaling down the frequency of the CPU's or idling them,
    - Tweaked to predict the best time to save power on the CPU without affecting performance

Downloads

Xperia XA1(G3121-G3112-G3125-G3116-G3123)-(48.1.A.2.50)-(4/Feb/2019)
    [KERNEL+RECOVERY]
    Xperia XA1 Ultra Dual(G3212)-(48.1.A.2.50)-(17/January/2019)
    [KERNEL][CUSTOM-RECOVERY]
    Xperia XA1 Ultra(G3221)-(48.1.A.2.50)-(18/January/2019)
    Xperia XA1 Plus Dual (G3412)-(48.1.A.2.50)-(18/January/2019)

Source/GitHub

-42.0.A.1.69

IF YOU LIKE MY WORK AND WANT ME TO CONTINUE, THEN DON'T FORGET TO BUY ME COFFEE
    DONATE ME HERE
    DONATE-HERE

Special Thanks To:
    If you can, donate and respect all the devs :)
    @Chainfire for his great work to achieve root SuperSU
    @modpunk for TWRP-recovery 3.2.1-0 and drm-fix THANK YOU
    @Androxyde for Flashtool. merci beaucoup pour tout
    @munjeni for his great knowledge and tools for extracting SIN images
    @rrvuhpg for giving me some idea about Sony XA recovery
    THANK YOU SONY FOR SUPPORTING DEVs AND ALLOWING US TO UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER
    Thanks to XDA And everyone else who share their knowledge and works among us in xda.​
    IF YOU LIKE MY WORK AND WANT ME TO CONTINUE, THEN BUY ME A SHOT OF WHISKY
    DONATE ME HERE

IF YOU LIKE MY WORK AND WANT ME TO CONTINUE, THEN BUY ME A SHOT OF COFFEE
    DONATE ME HERE
    Happy new year everyone with all best wishes.
    I will compile a new TWRP with Oreo support + kernel.
    Thank you everyone for supporting me.
    I am going to build a new Kernel from latest source with a lot of improvement and optimization. I will make a boot.img also a patched boot.img to get it work with magisk. Hopefully before the weekend.
    I regret passing Android 8.0.
    Root permission should come immediately

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

questions.tr@support.sonymobile.com
    Finally, let's post what we expect to share.
    The name did not come to mind. Which file

I do not understand how some users do not understand how XDA works.

The developer is willing to help, create or modify functions that manufacturers do not provide us, often losing their hours off and gaining nothing from it, just to keep the community of users of a device with the best available .

And these users keep asking about ETA, asking why the delay, and still saying what the developer should do.
    I would also like to have TWRP available as soon as possible. But the developer, who was the only one who decided to work on the project, still does not have the tools available. And he's waiting for Sony's release.

So, this is the options that you have:

1. Ask Sony to release the kernel as soon as possible.
    2. Ask Sony to release the kernel with the modifications you need.
    3. Ask MediaTek to release the drivers more often.
    4. Help the developer by working to make the releases faster.
    5. Buy another device that has a more active community.

Or ... just wait and thanks for the developer's work.