[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

plopingo

May 12, 2010
Paris
I'd go for the Op3. The Honor 8 is ok, but there isnt much development and you'll basically have to stay with Emui. OP3 has great specs and camera ain't that bad. Besides it's one of the phones with the most development.

I'd look into the Motorola Moto G5 plus. The op3 is also a pick for you as it as great development but you wouldnt be taking advantage of all its power. The Xiaomi redmi note 4 is also an option (plus you can get it for 150buck) it has decent aspects and great development.

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI NXT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

I've looked at the Moto G5 plus definitely interesting/good price but because it is new it's kinda making a bet around the xda community/custom rom etc...
For the Xiaomi redmi note 4 sadly it doesn't support the 800 MHz (B20) for 4G I need from my operator.
For the OP3, I don't know where to find it (I'm living in France)

Thanks for your help !

Last edited:
G

GuestK00148

Hello I'm deciding whether to buy these phones:

HTC 10 - Good: design, material, bloatfree, sound, updates
× Bad: camera, some opening apps slower that Sony, LG. I've seen gaming tests and it looks like very bad in terms of performance (Real Racing 3 was lagging), maybe bad optimization? All of the test were in 2016. Have they fixed it in 2017?

Sony Xperia XZs - Good: app opening speed, browser speed (very fast), camera, IP 68
× Bad: bezzels (IMO looks really bad), whole design, full of bloatware (can't be uninstalled)

LG G6 - Good: it's big as those mentioned but 5,7'' - little bezzels (looks nice), build quality, battery, IP 68
× Bad: no stereo, GLONASS, lower specs than flagships 2017

In my country, HTC 10 costs 460 €, Sony 500€ and LG G6 550 € (which is more expensive but offers more, question is: is it worth it)?

Anybody could share experience with any one of them? I'm really interested in HTC 10 (looks dope) but I'm worried about that performance (gaming) issue :/, is it fixed?

force70

× Bad: camera, some opening apps slower that Sony, LG. I've seen gaming tests and it looks like very bad in terms of performance (Real Racing 3 was lagging), maybe bad optimization? All of the test were in 2016. Have they fixed it in 2017?

Sony Xperia XZs - Good: app opening speed, browser speed (very fast), camera, IP 68
× Bad: bezzels (IMO looks really bad), whole design, full of bloatware (can't be uninstalled)

LG G6 - Good: it's big as those mentioned but 5,7'' - little bezzels (looks nice), build quality, battery, IP 68

In my country, HTC 10 costs 460 €, Sony 500€ and LG G6 550 € (which is more expensive but offers more, question is: is it worth it)?

Anybody could share experience with any one of them? I'm really interested in HTC 10 (looks dope) but I'm worried about that performance (gaming) issue :/, is it fixed?

Out of those 3 Id go G6 easily.

But....if you like HTC the U11 is damn nice.

Sent from my S8+, S7 edge or S6

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013

I haven't noticed hiccups on my 10 playing games, but for that price it isn't that much cheaper than a G6. I don't know how good the G6 is in comparison.

I really like my camera, I don't know where you got poor camera performance from. It has one of the highest scores from dxomark and I think it's a really good balanced shooter. I don't think you'd be disappointed in it.

G

GuestK00148

I'm looking for a new phone under £200 Snapdragon 820 or £300 Snapdragon 835 works in UK. Preferably AMOLED screen and 6GB RAM.

I love the ZTE Axon 7 however its little too expensive.

Any suggestions?
I don't think you'll get a Snapdragon 820 under £200. And even £300 is too little for Snap. 835 and 6GB RAM :D

Large Hadron

Aug 14, 2010
I'm looking for a new phone under £200 Snapdragon 820 or £300 Snapdragon 835 works in UK. Preferably AMOLED screen and 6GB RAM.

I love the ZTE Axon 7 however its little too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
I assume you are asking for second hand devices? Even so I think you'll struggle to find an S8 20 device with those specs and price, and forget the s835.

Aimless Rambler

Mar 9, 2012
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3 XL
Just fishing for opinions.

Criteria:
1. $450.00 or less USD
2. Removable Battery
3. Expandable Memory (SD Card Slot)
4. Developer Friendly (Root/Rom)
5. 32GB (or more) Storage
6. 2 GB (or more) RAM
7. GSM
8. 5.0 - 5.7 (maybe more) display

Ex fanboy of Samsung and LG (older devices) but always open to something good.

Last edited:

wrbl

Nov 12, 2012
Kraków
Xiaomi Poco F1
Ok Guys these phones are on my list:

Moto Z
HTC 10
OnePlus 3
Huawei p9/Honor 8

What do you think about them? I'm comming from a G3 with 3Gb Ram variant. I hand my hands on the Moto Z, HTC 10 and the Huawei phones. I really like the Moto and the HTC when it comet to looks and usage.
HTC wins in terms of build quality and looks and the camera in my opinion is great because it provides nice photos without too much sharepning and other post useless post processing.
I had the Z for a brief moment and It feels really fragile and I'm afraid the battery won't last long, but of course there are the moto mods and the battery mod and other which will expand it and make the phone usable in nearly every condition.
I only saw the OPO3 in someones hand and heard mixed opinions on it.
Huawei phones are nice in the photo department but the video sucks balls. Also P9 looks not so good and bothe of the Huawei phones have not so good os on them in my opinion.
I would like to here some opinions on the phones from people that used or use the phones I mentioned or from somebody that can suggest something else.

Last edited:
G

GuestK00148

Ok Guys these phones are on my list:

Moto Z
HTC 10
OnePlus 3
Huawei p9/Honor 8

What do you think?
I would discard that Moto Z - No jack, no LED diode and it's quite useless if you don't use those Moto Mods. HTC 10 and One Plus 3 has quite good developer support here on XDA (ROMs etc.) and have the best UI (IMO close to stock) out of them. I think Huawei is not a bad choice, but I would prefer One Plus 3 or HTC 10 (I don't like the UI of Huawei and it's hard to build a ROM on Huawei).

So If I were you, I would take One Plus 3 over HTC 10 (cheaper and better specs) but HTC has better sound and maybe support (updates etc.)

wrbl

Nov 12, 2012
Kraków
Xiaomi Poco F1
So If I were you, I would take One Plus 3 over HTC 10 (cheaper and better specs) but HTC has better sound and maybe support (updates etc.)

And this is the problem with Poland. I can get HTC 10 for around 1000-1400 PLN and the OnePlus3 is around 1600 PLN. I know it's weird I think the same but that's just how it works here ;/ same for the Huawei phones I can get the P9 for around 1200 I even saw one for 650 and the Honor 8 is around 1400 if you want to buy it now not by auction. I don't want to even mention the Honor 8 Pro because the price is so high I don't know if I want to cry:crying: or to laugh:laugh:.

Oh and 1$ is around 3,75PLN according to google.

djdelarosa25

May 27, 2014
Moto Z Play
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Looking for a phone around $300-$350

I'm not asking for a lot, just good specs for the price and stock Android out of the box with good software update support. Another bonus would be for the device to have a nice modding community here in XDA for lots of custom ROM's and kernels.

G

GuestK00148

Looking for a phone around $300-$350

I'm not asking for a lot, just good specs for the price and stock Android out of the box with good software update support. Another bonus would be for the device to have a nice modding community here in XDA for lots of custom ROM's and kernels.
I think Moto phones are really good for that price :). Check out Moto G5 / G5 Plus and other Moto's. They all have stock Android ---> good support here and they look quite good... Specs should be decent.

4r44444

Jul 13, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 11
I search for a cheap smartphone which can get much better by finetune it in Kernel or with custom ROM... I hope you understand my question Greetings

Also:

I search for a nice smartphone with a strong diplay... possible cheap... I saw the MOTO X FORCE which has a Display which can't break but it's too expensive to me... are there any low budget (maybe china?) smartphones with a strong display... should protect me from glass break by falling... (maybe also) waterproof?

Thanks Greets

djdelarosa25

May 27, 2014
Moto Z Play
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Is the G4 Plus still worth buying? Moto G5 Plus ain't available in my country. I asked their Facebook page and they said that there is no word yet of availability (Moto PH is very late at releasing new devices locally).

Other options are Moto M, J7 Prime, J7 Pro, and Honor 6X.

Vovan2k

Jun 8, 2017
I work in ride-share and need a concealed video registration so i am using my phone, however night quality is terrible when lights are off in the car, all i see is street lights.

Could you give me few android phone models that have good low light performance for front camera (face camera), not very expensive ones.

Optional i'd like to have front camera record horizontally wide video when phone is in vertical position (video orientation, 90 degree opposite to the screen orientation).

Mastermind8087

Jul 8, 2017
NOKIA 6 or MOTO G5 plus or any other??

guys i need some suggestions on buyin my first android . i have a budget of Rs 17,000
i need a slowmo camera in it (upto 60fps at 1080)
4gb ram
and 64gb internal or 32gb internal(but then it should be expandable)
thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Its a bit older phone, but still nice.
    Bit smaller screen size, smaller battery, less RAM, but a better camera, OTG support, and should get Android 14 too.

If the price is right, lower than G84, and you like the phone, go for it.

If the price is the same, and the camera is not in your focus, then get the G84 because it has an amasing battery life, microSD expansion is very nice too.
    Modern day lower midrangers offer the luxury of 6gb ram, faster processors and are an exciting segment to look.

Here are few truly valuable midrangers, suiting our preferences: (premium camera, 4k video rec & microsd support)
    • Realme 12 plus - mar 24 _ 50p,8w,2m​

Realme, well known for its camera 1st approach and has recently released a bombshell right there.
    • Samsung F54 5g - July 23_ 64p,2w,8m​

A popular midranger over the past few months that ticks all boxes and even chosen as best midranger by many websites.
    • Oppo F25 Pro - Feb 24 _32p,2w,8m​

Very high bang for the buck right here and Camera has been a big flex of this phone.
    • Oppo Reno 11 -jan 24 _50p,8w,32t​

This phone is highly rated for its slowmo video especially and comes with a flagship telephoto lens as well. All this comes at a higher price making it a higher mid Ranger.

The moto G54 and G84 are the other big guns in the category but don't support 4k video and dont have macro lens.

(P - primary lens, W- wide angle, M - Macro, T - telephoto)
    Thank you so much for the elaborate response, after 5 days of intense research, I wasn't happy enough with the offers at the 300-400 range, not enough to call the shot, so I ended up lowering the budget to avoid disappointment, and got a poco x6 for 277 euros, is alright, I feel like if I had forked out more for a redmi note 12 pro plus or note 13 pro plus, I would feel disappointed...
    Mate.. We are slightly going off topic., i was the one who distracted you about flashing and stuff. Apologies. Let's keep the thread refined! Ya.. These topics should be discussed in relevant threads/personal chats.

Anyways, is it safe to install banking apps? There's a special thread for the qn mate:

https://xdaforums.com/t/why-you-shouldnt-install-banking-apps-on-rooted-phones.4566867/

I agree with them, even at the developer level, the issues that could happen is unpredictable. So they conclude/discourage us from installing banking/shopping apps in custom roms. They expect us to be a responsible user, well informed and keeping the banking apps to firmware locked devices/ just to handle it old fashioned debit cards etc.

But at the moment i am having a banking app, installed in my non rooted custom rom. But i am planning to uninstall it in a few months, once the financial transactions/need increase.

Okay. Agree, i answered it quite passively. And it isn't the main topic/focus of this thread ain't it mate!

While flashing any custom roms, we should proceed with caution and follow each and every step in the official website/developer with utmost care. Possibility of bricking/bootloop should never be ruled out and we must always have a plan B - having a twrp backup/ firmware to restore any brick that happens/adb codes to restore factory partition. And plan B is widespread - the are numerous workarounds discussed in xda forums/ other android communities -advised to read more/view more tutorials and become more confident and then flash.

Ofc we might end up in an irreversible/hard brick, if flashed recklessly/ irresponsibly/ incompatible roms are flashed.
    - Ive personally bricked/boot looped my op6t as i failed to follow the LOS steps correctly. Reading xda forum of some random device bailed me out.

Hope it's correct now @Paulkw
    Anyway @bsnsxd intended to ask about safety of banking apps in custom roms.
    Yeah, what I had in mind though was not so much the risk of bricking your device but things like unlocking the bootloader which on most devices is irreversible
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.