[GUIDE] Tweaking Interacting Gov

Search This thread

Kyuubi10

Feb 21, 2014
Hi mate, I wondered if I could ask your advice, I want to set interactive up on my maw Android TV box it's quad 1.5gb and I want maximum performance as its constantly plugged in, there is no battery so that's not an issue,
Sorry if you think this OT but I thought I'd ask you as you know the governor well, thank you in advance mate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

if you want max performance and are not worried of the energy draw, then you may just go for Performance governor :)
On the other hand you may want to worry about overheating when not in use.

I guess raising the hispeed-freq, and reduce the hispeed-load should do the trick :)
But since I don't own a box, I wouldn't know how to set it up. I guess you would need to find a compatible tweaking app, or use terminal commands.

smeejaytee

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 29, 2013
kent
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
if you want max performance and are not worried of the energy draw, then you may just go for Performance governor :)

I guess raising the hispeed-freq, and reduce the hispeed-load should do the trick :)
But since I don't own a box, I wouldn't know how to set it up. I guess you would need to find a compatible tweaking app, or use terminal commands.
Kernel auditor works fine mate, I just wanted your advise on seeing up interactive as like you said using performance full time can cause over heat which intern causes streaming to stutter, thanks for your help.

Kyuubi10

Feb 21, 2014
Does it affect gaming performance?

Hey dude, next time quote me :) Otherwise I might have not seen your comment until 3 months from now, you are lucky I felt like reading through my guides today lol.

Well, Interactive is great for gaming since it provides a low latency performance. Due to the timer system, the CPU is most of the time ready to go, without needing to raise the frequency too much.
The tweaks I provided are more meant to give more battery savings with average daily use, but they won't affect game play much due to the high CPU load games cause anyways.

Happy Gaming, remember to leave a like if I helped you!
If you have anymore questions feel free to reply to this comment.

Ap3xGam3r

Jul 15, 2016
Markham
Hey dude, next time quote me :) Otherwise I might have not seen your comment until 3 months from now, you are lucky I felt like reading through my guides today lol.

Well, Interactive is great for gaming since it provides a low latency performance. Due to the timer system, the CPU is most of the time ready to go, without needing to raise the frequency too much.
The tweaks I provided are more meant to give more battery savings with average daily use, but they won't affect game play much due to the high CPU load games cause anyways.

K thanks for the info, using this tweak atm and so far it's working wonderfully! I'll quote you like I'm doing right from this moment on haha :p

Reactions: Kyuubi10

Kyuubi10

Feb 21, 2014
Is this interactive govener tweak still what you use? Or do u have a more efficient one you are using right now? Just wondering :)

I've bought a HTC 10 now, so i'm not using this tweaks on the 10. The big.LITTLE configuration on the 820 chip is much more complex. I'll need to study this a bit further to be able to change it.

I'll create a thread on the HTC 10 forums when I figure it out.

theobjr

Mar 29, 2016
Hey guys, Kyuubi10 back once again with another Guide.
I thought it might be useful to pop in a couple results of my trial and error for the HTC One m8

Here are the values (all others not mentioned, leave default):
Code:
[B]above_hispeed_delay [/B]- 80000 2265600:10000

[B]go_hispeed_load[/B] - 95

[B]hispeed_freq[/B] - 1728000

[B]io_is_busy[/B] - 1

[B]min_sample_time[/B] - 10000

[B]target_loads[/B] - 45 729000:80 883200:50 1267000:85 1497600:50 1728000:90 1958400:50

[B]timer_rate[/B] - 10000

[B]timer_slack[/B] - 5000

"above_hispeed_delay" makes sure that longer time is spent on the frequency step 1.72Ghz, before quickly raising higher into max freq.
1.72Ghz is the most energy efficient frequency with a good performance, e.g. it will not cause lag during casual usage, while it uses minimal voltage.
If the load is too high for this frequency to handle, I set the time short once it's gone over this freq step so that it will not waste time before reaching max freq. Thus dealing with the issue asap.

Another important parameter is "target_load", with this I have defined that at each efficient freq step the load needed to overcome it would be higher than normal. But it would up-scale quickly when using non-efficient frequencies.

The other parameters I have set so that the frequency is lowered as soon as CPU load is finished, so that it will rush back to idle as quickly as possible.

The interesting thing about this set-up is that for general, non heavy usage, it basecally functions as if I have underclocked to 1.72Ghz, but when the CPU is truly pushed it reaches up to 2.5Ghz which is my Overclocked max freq value.
Thus both saving battery and providing high performance.

I have felt no lag, and it's been quite a smooth experience while I used this :)
Combined with using GPU rendering (found in developer settings), and Seeder, the over all usage is pretty good.
Battery usage has been very efficient and I have managed to squeeze out an extra hour or two using this.

I highly recommend it!
Hope I helped you guys... don't forget to press the thanks button if you also feel that I did!:good::good:

I am using s-team marshmallow rom with 3.04 elementalx kernel for my m8. I was looking at the first value (above_hispeed_delay) to change when tweaking the interactive governor. My regular values for above_hispeed_delay have 13 blocks of numbers while the replacement values above have only three. I hope that makes sense. Do I just replace all of the values with the ones above? Obviously I don't know too much about what these values are, but I want to try your tweak.

Reactions: justsomeguy007

Kyuubi10

Feb 21, 2014
I am using s-team marshmallow rom with 3.04 elementalx kernel for my m8. I was looking at the first value (above_hispeed_delay) to change when tweaking the interactive governor. My regular values for above_hispeed_delay have 13 blocks of numbers while the replacement values above have only three. I hope that makes sense. Do I just replace all of the values with the ones above? Obviously I don't know too much about what these values are, but I want to try your tweak.

I would highly recommend you to research what each config does, as your particular usage, ROM, Kernel, apps would be different from myself.
The knowledge you obtain would allow you not only to understand what it does, but modify the values to better match your own needs.

The values I have written in the OP are true and accurate for my own usage, but as I was aiming to provide an idea rather than specifics, I cannot be held accountable if you don't achieve the desired results on your own phone with the above values.

Wish you best of luck young padawan! :D

rickyrock

Mar 27, 2015
kolkata

Hi there. I tried out your tweak but for some reason when I change the governor to interactive the cores(core 1,3,4 stayed online and core 2 off always) do not turn on and off automatically like they used to in ondemand(core 1 stayed always online and rest turned on and off according to usage). Is this normal behavior ? Currently all my cores are online always. Please help ! Thanks in advance.

Kyuubi10

Feb 21, 2014
Hi there. I tried out your tweak but for some reason when I change the governor to interactive the cores(core 1,3,4 stayed online and core 2 off always) do not turn on and off automatically like they used to in ondemand(core 1 stayed always online and rest turned on and off according to usage). Is this normal behavior ? Currently all my cores are online always. Please help ! Thanks in advance.

Hey mate, I will need a bit more info on your device before being able to help you.
Most probably I won't be able to help you directly, but I can point you in the right way.

What's your device?
What Kernel are you using?
Which governor did you kernel use by default?
What is the hotplugging solution available for your device?
What temperature control solution is currently active on your device?

theobjr

Mar 29, 2016
I would highly recommend you to research what each config does, as your particular usage, ROM, Kernel, apps would be different from myself.
The knowledge you obtain would allow you not only to understand what it does, but modify the values to better match your own needs.

The values I have written in the OP are true and accurate for my own usage, but as I was aiming to provide an idea rather than specifics, I cannot be held accountable if you don't achieve the desired results on your own phone with the above values.

Wish you best of luck young padawan! :D

Thanks. Is there any particular article or articles that you would recommend?

rickyrock

Mar 27, 2015
kolkata
Hey mate, I will need a bit more info on your device before being able to help you.
Most probably I won't be able to help you directly, but I can point you in the right way.

What's your device?
What Kernel are you using?
Which governor did you kernel use by default?
What is the hotplugging solution available for your device?
What temperature control solution is currently active on your device?

Device : htc one m8 Sprint
Kernel : skydragon v6 for mm sense 7
Default governor used by kernel : ondemand
Available hotplugging solution : mpdecision
Temperature control solution : core control

When I use it with default settings it runs fine but then when I multitask(online music app with 5 chrome tabs and app updates)it lags and stutters.
Thanks for the reply. Please help me out.
Also could you suggest me a rom for best battery backup and performance. Currently I am on skydragon 1.6.5 for Sprint.

Kyuubi10

Feb 21, 2014
Device : htc one m8 Sprint
Kernel : skydragon v6 for mm sense 7
Default governor used by kernel : ondemand
Available hotplugging solution : mpdecision
Temperature control solution : core control

When I use it with default settings it runs fine but then when I multitask(online music app with 5 chrome tabs and app updates)it lags and stutters.
Thanks for the reply. Please help me out.
Also could you suggest me a rom for best battery backup and performance. Currently I am on skydragon 1.6.5 for Sprint.

Ok, I don't know much about ROMS for sprint...so unfortunately I can't suggest one for you.

The best way to solve this problem is to go to the Kernel thread and ask 2 things:
1. If any one else has the same issue as you. in other words, try to find out if this is a known issue.
2. Ask if mpdecision is compatible with Interactive governor.

They know the kernel a whole lot better than anyone else, as they modded it.
They'll be able to help you more than I can.

Reactions: rickyrock

rickyrock

Mar 27, 2015
kolkata
Ok, I don't know much about ROMS for sprint...so unfortunately I can't suggest one for you.

The best way to solve this problem is to go to the Kernel thread and ask 2 things:
1. If any one else has the same issue as you. in other words, try to find out if this is a known issue.
2. Ask if mpdecision is compatible with Interactive governor.

They know the kernel a whole lot better than anyone else, as they modded it.
They'll be able to help you more than I can.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if i can dig up something from their kernel thread. And as per my 2nd question can you suggest a rom in general cause most ROMs in the development section just works. Also could you possibly answer if KitKat gives more battery life and performance than marshmallow ?

Kyuubi10

Feb 21, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if i can dig up something from their kernel thread. And as per my 2nd question can you suggest a rom in general cause most ROMs in the development section just works. Also could you possibly answer if KitKat gives more battery life and performance than marshmallow ?

Well...I don't know, I quite liked Skydragon when I was on Lollipop on my M8.
But I used ICE ROM for MM.
So I recommend those, I don't know much about the others.
I remember that there is also another ROM which has JBL and HK sound mods...that one is great too!

Now about KK being better than MM...never!
KK is too old and very unoptimized, in comparison to MM.
Also KK has too many security flaws fixed in MM...
but you get the point, MM is always better!

Reactions: rickyrock

rickyrock

Mar 27, 2015
kolkata
Well...I don't know, I quite liked Skydragon when I was on Lollipop on my M8.
But I used ICE ROM for MM.
So I recommend those, I don't know much about the others.
I remember that there is also another ROM which has JBL and HK sound mods...that one is great too!

Now about KK being better than MM...never!
KK is too old and very unoptimized, in comparison to MM.
Also KK has too many security flaws fixed in MM...
but you get the point, MM is always better!

Thanks for the replies buddy. Will surely try out ICE rom since I have never used it. Thanks again !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, Kyuubi10 back once again with another Guide.
    I thought it might be useful to pop in a couple results of my trial and error for the HTC One M8.

Note: This is not scientifically, calculated accurate, but it's close enough, based on estimates.

After following these guides:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2769899
    https://vjnaik.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/kernel-tweak-interactive-governor-paramaters-rooted-phone/

I decided to make a summary guide of the above but with specific HTC One M8 values.

Since I agree with the idea of "race to idle" embodied in the Wheatley governor, I tried emulating that on the Interactive governor while also keeping it as efficient as possible.

Here are the values (all others not mentioned, leave default):
    Code:
    [B]above_hispeed_delay [/B]- 80000 2265600:10000

[B]go_hispeed_load[/B] - 95

[B]hispeed_freq[/B] - 1728000

[B]io_is_busy[/B] - 1

[B]min_sample_time[/B] - 10000

[B]target_loads[/B] - 45 729000:80 883200:50 1267000:85 1497600:50 1728000:90 1958400:50

[B]timer_rate[/B] - 10000

[B]timer_slack[/B] - 5000

"above_hispeed_delay" makes sure that longer time is spent on the frequency step 1.72Ghz, before quickly raising higher into max freq.
    1.72Ghz is the most energy efficient frequency with a good performance, e.g. it will not cause lag during casual usage, while it uses minimal voltage.
    If the load is too high for this frequency to handle, I set the time short once it's gone over this freq step so that it will not waste time before reaching max freq. Thus dealing with the issue asap.

Another important parameter is "target_load", with this I have defined that at each efficient freq step the load needed to overcome it would be higher than normal. But it would up-scale quickly when using non-efficient frequencies.

The other parameters I have set so that the frequency is lowered as soon as CPU load is finished, so that it will rush back to idle as quickly as possible.

The interesting thing about this set-up is that for general, non heavy usage, it basecally functions as if I have underclocked to 1.72Ghz, but when the CPU is truly pushed it reaches up to 2.5Ghz which is my Overclocked max freq value.
    Thus both saving battery and providing high performance.

I have felt no lag, and it's been quite a smooth experience while I used this :)
    Combined with using GPU rendering (found in developer settings), and Seeder, the over all usage is pretty good.
    Battery usage has been very efficient and I have managed to squeeze out an extra hour or two using this.

I highly recommend it!
    Hope I helped you guys... don't forget to press the thanks button if you also feel that I did!:good::good:
    I noticed I have some governor settings left at 0 or blank. I did some quick googling, found some other tweaks for the M8 and the interactive governor. So I played around a bit, and I think the following would be useful to add to the above tweaks.

-----------------------

sampling_down_factor: 60000
    sync_freq: 1036800
    up_threshold_any_cpu_load: 65
    up_threshold_any_cpu_freq: 1190400
    boost: 0
    boostpulse_duration: 80000

--------------------

Also of note there is not a entry for " io_is_busy " under the Interactive governor under ElementalX Sense kernel v6.03. I believe it's possible to modify the governor to add the function, if it's desired.

Hope this helps others. :)
    Does it affect gaming performance?

Hello kyuubi10 thanks for your help, would it be ok to change mp decision to battery saver mode ? Whats your take on that?

It's in the ex app mate, it uses a less aggressive version of mpdecision to saver on battery power but I can't say that I noticed much improvement TBH.

Well, I use adiutor, so I don't have that option.
    I am happy with my phone how it is (if it wasn't for the damned plug issues XD)

But @lil_kujo, as @smeejaytee said....he hasn't noticed much improvement.
    So I'd trust his advice :)
    Wow, this is awesome! I had the performance gov on, which just destroyed my battery. Now, I have a question for you!

What is your take on "Multicore Power Savings" ? I'm using a flarport kernel which has it set to aggressive by default. Should this be changed to anything else while using your gov settings? Thanks for any assistance!

You had performance on?? You do realise that the perf gov basically keeps your CPU cores running on max frequency all the time right?
    No wonder your battery was dying XD
    Anyhoo....good thing you found my guide :)

Now, about multicore power savings, as usually with most things you will be compromising something to gain something else...always keep that in mind.
    With MPS you'll be giving up some multitasking, in order to gain some battery savings.
    Why (you may ask)?

Well, think about a to-do list, and for each list you have one person completing the tasks within that list. Let's say you have four lists and 4 people completing those tasks.
    What MPS does is it takes as many tasks as possible and places them within a single list, for one person to do. At the end of the day that one person will have done a lot of work, while the other 3 will have done very little work. The drawback? The work was completed much slower, because only one person was doing it.

Why can MPS be good? It is the way it chooses which CPU to use to add the tasks to, it chooses CPUs which are already turned on, rather than turning a new one on.
    The frequency voltages on each core range from the lowest of 775mV, to the highest of 1075mV. That's a 300mV increase in battery consumption between lowest frequency and highest. (Mind you, 1075 for me is an overclocked value, if you are not OC then it will be even less)
    When CPU cores have nothing to do they get turned off....they don't idle at 775mV....they are literally off. Therefore around 0mV usage XD
    If you get tasks which would have run on 2 CPUs at minimum frequency, using only 775mV each, and put them to run on only 1 CPU at MAX frequency at 1075mV, you still have about 400mV battery savings. Now lets say its something which would have used 4 CPUs, but you end up using only two.... then the battery savings double to 800mV.

Final answer...it depends on your tastes, what do you prefer most? Multitasking or battery saving.
    Personally I keep it enabled, but not aggressive.
    But if you really don't care about multitasking, you may as well leave it as aggressive.