[TUTORIAL]A 13 year old's guide to programming - Tutorial 4 Added!

Search This thread

rkrishnan2012

Jan 21, 2009
Hydros's Programming tutorial for a 13 year old​

Well, this is my first time posting a tutorial which I have actually tried in making. I kinda felt bad for the people who are missing out on programming because they htink it is hard. Well, I finally devised the ultimate tutorial which a 13 year old should easily be able to understand if he puts his/her mind into it. I posted pics for EVERY STEP along he way so you can walk through it. Simply open the zip and there are three directories

IMAGES - has all the images to the tutorial (not all tutes have images...don't be babies)

TUTE - a tute in .doc format

SOURCE - whatever program we made that day, I posted a source code area to post up source for it.

-Enjoy and I hope people learn a few things from it (even though it is quite basic)

NUMBER OF TUTES MADE SO FAR: 4​

C# TUTORIALS:

Tutorial 1: We install visual studio 2010 express edition c# and we make a sooped up version of the boring helloworld app. Maybe even a "pull my finger" app can be developed with the limited knoledge learned from this tute.

Tutorial 2: We make a continuation of helloworld with variables so the user types in a name and the program will say "hello..." + name

Tutorial 3: We make a simple calculator using functions for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing (kinda complicated but still very easy). - With pictures in the PDF

Tutorial 4: We make a simple program which uses a loop to display "hello" the number of times the user tells it to.

-If you find problems with ANYTHING, please feel free to post in the comments section below and I will do my best to reply within a day to all questions.

If you like my work: please feel free to spread it with my credit;) + donation link is on my sig (cough...cough):)

Last edited:

robbi13

Jul 12, 2010
Read through the whole tutorial now.
I got amazed.
It looks much more easier now thanks to you :)
But i do have a question.
When you click the button you called Click me!
How to make the text appear on another place than the button?

Cyclonezephyrxz7

Dec 19, 2008
rkrishnan2012: I commend your efforts so much! When I came to this website, originally, I had such a hard time getting into developing. I think it is truly a great thing you are doing by taking your time to create these tutorials and upload them to the public! I applaud you :)

newdecember

Jan 3, 2009
Ayr/Glasgow
i agree with you there krook,

i forsee a lot of sitting around the laptop for the next few weeks,

god my fiancee's gonna be angry lol

:D

great job man
and thanks :)

rkrishnan2012

Jan 21, 2009
hey...no problem guys. I really like to have people understand the deep meaning in c# programming. Anyway, this was simple code and in the next tutorial, I will be going over a little more tougher thing (still very very easily put for a 13 year old....)

Tutorial 2:
some of the other common controls (like radio buttons and checkboxes) & some "if" statements

rkrishnan2012

Jan 21, 2009
Read through the whole tutorial now.
I got amazed.
It looks much more easier now thanks to you :)
But i do have a question.
When you click the button you called Click me!
How to make the text appear on another place than the button?

good question...for changing the property of something, you write the name of the item...followed by a dot...and intellisense will bring up a list of properties you can change. In the next tute, we will go over labels...so that will include changing properties (you are in the right track, we will do more of this in the next tute).

Also, you may post code here if you want to...just zip it up as a visual studio solution

Last edited:

Livven

Aug 23, 2009
Wiesbaden
livven.me
Hmm, I have read some books to learn coding, specifically C#, and the basics are really easy - the difficult things are the APIs you need to learn to actually make your app do something useful. I just never got beyond that, but maybe I'll give it another try sometime. If you have some tips they'd be appreciated :).

surgency

May 1, 2010
I would definitely start with console applications and after a while dive into winforms/wpf.
But to each his own. This doesn't have much to do with windows mobile programming does it?

BenF1

Jun 11, 2009
South Devon
Its late so I'll read through tomorrow. This seems like the perfect gateway into programming! I'm 16 so I should be fine :p

Many thanks.

oshizzle1991

Aug 1, 2009
Vancouver WA
so lemme get this straight, this is for devin' in JUST c#? we cant run these apps on our phones? cause on the express site i was tempted to download the express version for windows phone too... lol

Last edited:

bryanwayb

Mar 28, 2010
Dallas, TX
Sound ironic to me xD

lol a 13 year old? i saw that and had to comment. I'm actually 16 years old and have been programming in C and C++ (even C++ is a little more than C#) since i was 11. yes, its simple logic, kudos to the tutorial. good to look at.

rkrishnan2012

Jan 21, 2009
lol a 13 year old? i saw that and had to comment. I'm actually 16 years old and have been programming in C and C++ (even C++ is a little more than C#) since i was 11. yes, its simple logic, kudos to the tutorial. good to look at.

ok lemme get this straight....

I made it as 13 because then i was about 12ish, i started to write jibberish programs which barely compiled and they were at best something like this, so i ignored that age and I said '13' because at that time, i had a solid understanding of C# and vb.net. Both of which were very easy for me. Now, 15, I know waaay more programming (C#,Vb.net, C++,C,JAVA,and the wpf version of c# and vb.net).

I mainly use the c# and vb.net most today but I have programming competitions and I need to know c++ and JAVA so i gradually developed that as well.....

And for all you 3rd grade babies out there who program...good for you and I hope you spread the knoledge learned some day to someone else ;)

-Turns out, you will get money for this.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hydros's Programming tutorial for a 13 year old​

Well, this is my first time posting a tutorial which I have actually tried in making. I kinda felt bad for the people who are missing out on programming because they htink it is hard. Well, I finally devised the ultimate tutorial which a 13 year old should easily be able to understand if he puts his/her mind into it. I posted pics for EVERY STEP along he way so you can walk through it. Simply open the zip and there are three directories

IMAGES - has all the images to the tutorial (not all tutes have images...don't be babies)

TUTE - a tute in .doc format

SOURCE - whatever program we made that day, I posted a source code area to post up source for it.

-Enjoy and I hope people learn a few things from it (even though it is quite basic)

NUMBER OF TUTES MADE SO FAR: 4​

C# TUTORIALS:

Tutorial 1: We install visual studio 2010 express edition c# and we make a sooped up version of the boring helloworld app. Maybe even a "pull my finger" app can be developed with the limited knoledge learned from this tute.

Tutorial 2: We make a continuation of helloworld with variables so the user types in a name and the program will say "hello..." + name

Tutorial 3: We make a simple calculator using functions for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing (kinda complicated but still very easy). - With pictures in the PDF

Tutorial 4: We make a simple program which uses a loop to display "hello" the number of times the user tells it to.

-If you find problems with ANYTHING, please feel free to post in the comments section below and I will do my best to reply within a day to all questions.

If you like my work: please feel free to spread it with my credit;) + donation link is on my sig (cough...cough):)
    I am really looking forward to reading the tutorial! Sounds good!:)

EC