moisture in charger port S8

Search This thread

callumbr1

Jan 5, 2016
Leeds
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So 3 days ago now I spilt a little bit of water on my S8. I'm not worried about it and waited 4 hours for it to dry before charging it again.

Now after 3 days I'm still getting the notification about moisture in the port and to allow it to dry. Phone still charges as normal. Anyone seen this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170526-112446.jpg
    Screenshot_20170526-112446.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,965

evo4g63t

Dec 20, 2013
Wonder if it is some sort of software/hardware feature that once it detects it it keeps notifying you despite not actually having any moisture.

Short of replacing the unit (which probably won't be covered by warranty), try putting it in a bag of uncooked rice over night to draw out any moisture that could potentially be there.

Sent from my LG-H918 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

callumbr1

Jan 5, 2016
Leeds
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Wonder if it is some sort of software/hardware feature that once it detects it it keeps notifying you despite not actually having any moisture.

Short of replacing the unit (which probably won't be covered by warranty), try putting it in a bag of uncooked rice over night to draw out any moisture that could potentially be there.
Possibly buddy.

Will try that tonight, the notification is still popping up today also.

Skander1998

May 23, 2012
Doha
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S7
Possibly buddy.

Will try that tonight, the notification is still popping up today also.

Was the liquid you spilled fresh water or did it have any sort of salt in it?
Salty liquids can cause corrosion on the port contacts, try rinsing the area with fresh water (since you're doing this intentionally, use distilled). Then use 99% alcohol to displace the water and speed up drying.

After the port is fully dry, see if the notification disappears.

callumbr1

Jan 5, 2016
Leeds
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Was the liquid you spilled fresh water or did it have any sort of salt in it?
Salty liquids can cause corrosion on the port contacts, try rinsing the area with fresh water (since you're doing this intentionally, use distilled). Then use 99% alcohol to displace the water and speed up drying.

After the port is fully dry, see if the notification disappears.
I will give this a try mate thanks.

It was fresh water out of the tap. It wasn't a lot either only a few splashes in the charger port.

djm1947

Jan 2, 2012
Tucson
Someone on another forum had a similar issue. Apparently a fuse had been blown. Brought the phone to Samsung and had to have the port replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: callumbr1

djm1947

Jan 2, 2012
Tucson
Have you checked the charging port to be sure it is clean, no dust or lint. Try blowing into it or use compressed air. Also try a other charger.

marsha38b

Jun 26, 2017
Same thing was happening to me, phone was only splashed but not submerged, when I started having the charging port moisture issue. I scoured posts on the issue and what worked for me was clearing the message from the status bar, shutting down the phone, then plugging the charger into the phone. It immediately began charging and when the phone was restarted (while still charging) the moisture message did not reappear.

oplix

Apr 30, 2008
New York
There should be an internal timer around 2-4 hours after which the notification should reset. It sounds like your phone might have actually been damaged.

Dreao4u

Jul 11, 2017
So 3 days ago now I spilt a little bit of water on my S8. I'm not worried about it and waited 4 hours for it to dry before charging it again.

Now after 3 days I'm still getting the notification about moisture in the port and to allow it to dry. Phone still charges as normal. Anyone seen this issue?

Yup. Same thing here! I jumped in the pool and shot some video under water and 5 days later everything cool no issues. Then i went to the beach and a wave splashed it.... now that same issue. Gunna try the rice, should fix it. If not I'll take it to a Samsung store to have my port checked out ;)..... do you have any new update on yours?

tasked28m

Oct 28, 2013
Why use compressed air? That will put excessive pressure to the port seal and from my understanding whats stoping water to enter the phone is those seals that apply counter pressure to keep water out. Maybe I am wrong but I wouldn't use compressed air on the charging slot

callumbr1

Jan 5, 2016
Leeds
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yup. Same thing here! I jumped in the pool and shot some video under water and 5 days later everything cool no issues. Then i went to the beach and a wave splashed it.... now that same issue. Gunna try the rice, should fix it. If not I'll take it to a Samsung store to have my port checked out ;)..... do you have any new update on yours?
I still get the notification maybe once every 3 days or so like once a day. I took mine to Samsung and they said the phone is fine. Sometimes when you hold it, if you have a finger over the charger port (like I do) heat and moisture from your finger can trigger it ?

marcel112

You dont sccept it do you?

The s8 has ip68 so it should be waterproof, at least from splashing from a watercrane..

I had it 2 weeks ago... i used a hair blower to blow/heat the charger port..... never had it again..
Still samsung would take you serious and at least look at it

treaddy

Jul 24, 2017
only true solution is to take a hair dryer , place it on low heat or warm. hold it 1 ft away from charge port and blow it for 3 minutes. Your phone will start working as normal again.

Reactions: SweetDesertHoney

Evie719

Dec 18, 2015
Honestly use compressed air to make sure there is no water in the port and you should see that notification go away after a few minutes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I still get the notification maybe once every 3 days or so like once a day. I took mine to Samsung and they said the phone is fine. Sometimes when you hold it, if you have a finger over the charger port (like I do) heat and moisture from your finger can trigger it ?
    Hello everyone, I had the same issue but found a work around!

1. Plug in your charging cable
    2. Message will popup saying it won't charge if it's wet, just disregard that and leave the cord plugged in.
    3. Reboot the phone
    4. It should say how long it has left to charge now. Just leave it plugged in and it will charge.

When I unplugged it the message came back but at least I can still charge my phone by plugging the charging cable in and rebooting the phone with it still in.
    Someone on another forum had a similar issue. Apparently a fuse had been blown. Brought the phone to Samsung and had to have the port replaced.

only true solution is to take a hair dryer , place it on low heat or warm. hold it 1 ft away from charge port and blow it for 3 minutes. Your phone will start working as normal again.
    All I do now is just turn it off plug in charge and turn back on. Works everytime. Although I rarely get the message anymore.