Simple Fix for your GPS - Samsung Galaxy S III

Search This thread

g.soki

Aug 15, 2015
santa cruz de tenerife
samsung a3 gps issue

Hi everyone!
I have bought a Samsung A3 phone few week ago. Recently i was using the gps very often. Its performance i have experienced it was very bad. searching for signal took ages., if there were 2 trees it has lost the signal. I am asking all of you who owns A3 how is the gps?
My girlfriend has a S4 mini. it has a better gps. with a gps test app the A3 finds half satellite than S4 mini.

sakthyprasad

May 31, 2012
KOTTAYAM,KERALA
Many many Thanks.

Just now i came over your thread and its works like a piece of cake. I tried several things like custom rom and all other stuff. Thanks again.

Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. After posting and sharing in other forums this fix has also worked for many others who were frustrated with their GPS' not working, not locking onto satellites, and their phones acting erratically while navigating. Although this method seems too easy to be true, trust me it works and many people have confirmed that this method worked for them too and are now happy that their phone has a functional GPS and in some cases improved call quality.

I as well as many others performed many of the other fixes such as flashing back to stock, performing numerous battery pulls, using aGPS patches, making numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioning our phones, checking different ROMs, uninstalling/reinstalling Google Maps, clearing data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on. So before you do all of that please give my method a try.

I discovered this simple fix when I was trying to perform one of the other GPS fix procedures. The procedure required me to pull my battery. I noticed that when I removed my back cover the back frame that has all the screws (10 total) was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all my GPS worked immediately! Like I said, this method has been tested by many people and most of them report great success just by tightening their screws. If this method works for you you'll also notice that in addition to getting faster locks your navigation will work and won't drop your GPS signal.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a Samsung Galaxy S III definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure you tighten the screws and make sure everything is secure. You too should now be able to achieve GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. If it does, as it has many others, please click thanks.

Cheers,
Syintiphic

Reactions: syintiphic

Pseast

Apr 28, 2014
That is the WiFi antenna according to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4hs19riRM&list=FLAGl4l2TU4WdKUVe517ZxQA

If the video is correct, the GPS antenna should be next to the rear speaker in the top housing.

Decided to try something a little different beyond the screwdriver fix.. I took apart my GS3 and performed a mod on the antenna itself.. Of course the usual disclaimer applies: ATTEMPTING THIS MODIFICATION YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ALONE ASSUME ANY AND ALL RISK INVOLVED.

Hit the THANKS button if this helps!

1. POWER DOWN YOUR PHONE
2. REMOVE THE BATTERY, SD CARD AND SIM CARD!
3. UNSCREW THE BACK COVER OF YOUR PHONE
4. PRY OPEN THE BACK COVER
5. GENTLY PEEL BACK THE GPS ANTENNA CONTACT PAD
6. ADD A SMALL THIN PIECE OF PAPER TO RAISE THE CONTACT PAD
7. REAPPLY THE GPS ANTENNA CONTACT PAD BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL POSITION
8. SCREW THE BACK COVER OF YOUR PHONE
9. REINSERT THE SIM CARD, SD CARD AND BATTERY (IN THIS ORDER)!
10. POWER UP YOUR PHONE AND TEST YOUR GPS
11. IF ITS GRABBING FAST LOCATION LOCKS - PROFIT!

GPS1.jpg

GPS2.jpg

GPS3.jpg

GPS4.jpg

GPS5.jpg

GPS6.jpg

GPS7.jpg

GPS8.jpg

5ada3yre.jpg

flasheart49

Oct 20, 2015
Yes it works! My GPS failed to lock on after an hour of searching in good open positions. It had worked perfectly until then. I took the back off and tightened the screws as suggested and it aquired GPS in a few minutes - as good as ever! Thanks for this information. 20/10/2015

Last edited:

tpallone@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2015
Samsung GS3, SCH-I535 Nov 28, 2015: I just had a similar but somewhat opposite experience. The GPS could not find, let alone lock satellites. Screws already tight. I backed them out a quarter then a half and finally a full turn. Rebooted and tried GPS at each step. First two then four then 14 satellites!! Tightened again, no lock. Backed them out again and lightening fast lock on satellites. Like most electrical problems, contact issue. No nonsense, a fully reversible experiment today!! Hope this helps!!

ctsbrasil

Jul 21, 2013
Not work for G800H

Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. After posting and sharing in other forums this fix has also worked for many others who were frustrated with their GPS' not working, not locking onto satellites, and their phones acting erratically while navigating. Although this method seems too easy to be true, trust me it works and many people have confirmed that this method worked for them too and are now happy that their phone has a functional GPS and in some cases improved call quality.

I as well as many others performed many of the other fixes such as flashing back to stock, performing numerous battery pulls, using aGPS patches, making numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioning our phones, checking different ROMs, uninstalling/reinstalling Google Maps, clearing data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on. So before you do all of that please give my method a try.

I discovered this simple fix when I was trying to perform one of the other GPS fix procedures. The procedure required me to pull my battery. I noticed that when I removed my back cover the back frame that has all the screws (10 total) was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all my GPS worked immediately! Like I said, this method has been tested by many people and most of them report great success just by tightening their screws. If this method works for you you'll also notice that in addition to getting faster locks your navigation will work and won't drop your GPS signal.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a Samsung Galaxy S III definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure you tighten the screws and make sure everything is secure. You too should now be able to achieve GPS locks consistently.

Cheers,
Syintiphic

Not work for Samsung G800H - Nothing Works to fix GPS in this phone!!!

syintiphic

Feb 10, 2012
Not work for Samsung G800H - Nothing Works to fix GPS in this phone!!!

Sorry mate. I'm not too familiar with that model. I know people with other Samsung versions were able to utilize the tighten screw method to fix their GPS issues.

Some times you can change the the gps config file or another method and it may help with your GPS issues. Search XDA and you might something that works for you. Good luck.

ctsbrasil

Jul 21, 2013
Sorry mate. I'm not too familiar with that model. I know people with other Samsung versions were able to utilize the tighten screw method to fix their GPS issues.

Some times you can change the the gps config file or another method and it may help with your GPS issues. Search XDA and you might something that works for you. Good luck.

Relax. It is known that there is a problem in GPS hardware in this model (Galaxy S5 mini - G800H). Hundreds of G800H owners complain about the same problem in several internet blogs out there. :(

Rezallini

Apr 11, 2016
Hi, I have a Galaxy A5, the back is fixed and there's no access to the battery compartment. I can't tighten the screws. Is there a solution or am ib"screwed"?

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Hi, I have a Galaxy A5, the back is fixed and there's no access to the battery compartment. I can't tighten the screws. Is there a solution or am ib"screwed"?

With the newer devices there is technically a way to get into the battery department but it requires a kit to do so and a lot of prying. This fix was for devices, specifically the S3 that had a removable back and battery

Sent from my Nexus 6

Reactions: BadUsername

Zentac

Aug 8, 2011
Last thing you think of, but I guess the first thing we should think of... electrical problem! brilliant, and thanks!

Data56

Aug 28, 2016
Totally ridiculous but it seems to work

My screws were not even loose, but after struggling with GPS even out of doors for days, now it seems to work even indoors. Puzzled but grateful. I would click Thanks if I could find it.

kingmateusz

Jul 25, 2012
I put piece of paper under gps sensor pressure connector because I cannot pry contact pad. Also I tightened all screws. It haven't worked to me. Gps is catching fix but it show my position 2-3km away from me. Sometimes even 30km.

chodex

Feb 9, 2014
Samsung galaxy s4 i9505 gps Исправил!!!Работает!!!!

сомневался , но все заработало .... что я уже только не перепробывал .... спасибо за пост ...:хорошо:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Syintiphic
    Decided to try something a little different beyond the screwdriver fix.. I took apart my GS3 and performed a mod on the antenna itself.. Of course the usual disclaimer applies: ATTEMPTING THIS MODIFICATION YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ALONE ASSUME ANY AND ALL RISK INVOLVED.

Hit the THANKS button if this helps!

1. POWER DOWN YOUR PHONE
    2. REMOVE THE BATTERY, SD CARD AND SIM CARD!
    3. UNSCREW THE BACK COVER OF YOUR PHONE
    4. PRY OPEN THE BACK COVER
    5. GENTLY PEEL BACK THE GPS ANTENNA CONTACT PAD
    6. ADD A SMALL THIN PIECE OF PAPER TO RAISE THE CONTACT PAD
    7. REAPPLY THE GPS ANTENNA CONTACT PAD BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL POSITION
    8. SCREW THE BACK COVER OF YOUR PHONE
    9. REINSERT THE SIM CARD, SD CARD AND BATTERY (IN THIS ORDER)!
    10. POWER UP YOUR PHONE AND TEST YOUR GPS
    11. IF ITS GRABBING FAST LOCATION LOCKS - PROFIT!

GPS1.jpg

GPS2.jpg

GPS3.jpg

GPS4.jpg

GPS5.jpg

GPS6.jpg

GPS7.jpg

GPS8.jpg

5ada3yre.jpg
    Well here is my take on what I think the problem is and why the screw fix works.. Understand I'm not making any assertions that this is the cause or that I know what the hell I'm talking about..

The back of the case (not the battery cover) appears to have an antenna.. This area has a copper contact point which sits in the area where the GPS of the phone is located.. If this part of the phone is loose, it doesn't make a solid contact with what I believe is the GPS antenna..

uploadfromtaptalk1364258888976.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364258939864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364258958588.jpg

Sent from my Commodore 64..
    READY.
    load"*", 8,1
    Re: Easy Simple Fix for your GPS on your Samung Galaxy S III

The fix worked for me.. Night and day difference in getting satellite locks after tightening the screws..

Edit: In case anyone wants to know my theory behind why it works..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39570338

Edit2: If you find the screwdriver fix doesn't work for you, or you find yourself tightening screws all the time, you can try this simple mod..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44725977

Sent from my Commodore 64..
    READY.
    load"*", 8,1
    D
    Deleted member 2776902
    Worked for me!

I have been battling this GPS issue since I got the phone, and it has been very annoying since September - November. But it really hit me this week traveling 300 miles out of state when using Navigation, I would randomly fly off the highway and into the streets with the navigation program throwing a fit about where to turn. It just couldn't hold a solid lock for anything. Luckily I had my Nexus 7 packed with me, and it's GPS is always spot on.

15p25x5.png

But after I saw a random post a few days ago about tightening the screws, I was at first skeptical, and had to wait until I was back home to get to my small screwdriver, but once I tightened all 10 screws, viola! It worked instantly! :laugh:

2je1wgl.jpg

I now get a lock within a few seconds, and even indoors. Saved myself a trip to VZW too. Thanks guys!