[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Exynos)

Search This thread

c3k

Sep 13, 2009
I was on AQF7, TWRP 3.1.1-1, root with Magisk 13.3. Then I flashed AQG5 stock, TWRP 3.1.1-2 and Magisk 3.1.1-2. No data wipe. No data lost, device rooted again, everything working fine

Could you please tell me the step you did? The only way I found to update a rooted firmware without data loss is a little bit tricky, here's:
- flash stock feature with home_csc
- let it reboot first time in stock recovery to complete CSC installation
-> catch the right time on second reboot to go back in download mode
- flash twrp and root

Is this the simplest way? Missing the third step will result in a encoded device and will need a wipe to root again, right?

Reactions: schnulidoa

badai

Jun 12, 2007
flash 3.1.1-2 and got stuck at boot logo.

revert back to 3.1.1-1 with no issue

anything needed to upgrade to 3.1.1-2?

side_flip15

Jul 25, 2011
Manila
flash 3.1.1-2 and got stuck at boot logo.

revert back to 3.1.1-1 with no issue

anything needed to upgrade to 3.1.1-2?

you can flash the 3.1.1-2.img via 3.1.1-1 recovery.

install>tap image>select 3.1.1-2 recovery.img>select recovery partition>swipe>done

then reboot recovery to verify twrp version

Last edited:

haifish9999

Nov 22, 2011
Ha Noi
Confirmed: I had updated my S8+ G955FD ( Running latest stock FW AQGB) to latest TWRP V3.1.1- 2 via Flashify and it was worked fine as it be.
- Download the latest 3.1.1- 2 for your device variants.
- Download and install Flashify application from Play Store. Open Flashify / Flash Recovery img / navigate your the 3.1.1-2 file located / flash it / reboot device when done / it will reboot again into recovery / reboot device once again via recovery / Done...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

schnulidoa

Jan 15, 2010
I was on AQF7, TWRP 3.1.1-1, root with Magisk 13.3. Then I flashed AQG5 stock, TWRP 3.1.1-2 and Magisk 3.1.1-2. No data wipe. No data lost, device rooted again, everything working fine

Could you please tell me the step you did? The only way I found to update a rooted firmware without data loss is a little bit tricky, here's:
- flash stock feature with home_csc
- let it reboot first time in stock recovery to complete CSC installation
-> catch the right time on second reboot to go back in download mode
- flash twrp and root

Is this the simplest way? Missing the third step will result in a encoded device and will need a wipe to root again, right?

my way is very similar, but in addition with flashing no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1. Here is the whole sequence in which I did it (don't forget jesec's Special Notes from post #1, https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/sam...pment/recovery-twrp-galaxy-s8-exynos-t3595102, !!!)

starting point: with G950F, AQF7, TWRP 3.1.1-1, no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1, root with Magisk 13.3

1. flashing G950FXXU1AQG5_G950FOVF1AQG1_SWC (with home_csc !!) with Odin (v3.12.3), Auto Reboot disabled in Odin
2. when Odin confirms flashing is successfully finished ('All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)': press and hold power+bixby+vol down to reboot immediately into download mode again (note: at this point you still have the message 'Downloading... Do not turn off target' on your S8'; don't get nervous for that)
3. flashing twrp-3.1.1-2-dreamlte.img.tar with Odin, Auto Reboot disabled in Odin
4. when Odin finished flashing (same as in 2.): press and hold power+bixby+vol down until device switches off (screen getting dark and short vibration) move immediately to power+bixby+vol up to boot into recovery --> twrp is starting up
5. in twrp install no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1, wipe Dalvik/Cache (maybe cache wipe is not really necessary)
6. in twrp go to reboot and reboot to recovery again
7. in twrp install magisk-v13.3.zip, wipe Dalvik/Cache (maybe cache wipe is not really necessary)
8. in twrp reboot to system

finished; device on AQG5, rooted, no data loss

c3k

Sep 13, 2009
my way is very similar, but in addition with flashing no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1. Here is the whole sequence in which I did it (don't forget jesec's Special Notes from post #1, https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/sam...pment/recovery-twrp-galaxy-s8-exynos-t3595102, !!!)

starting point: with G950F, AQF7, TWRP 3.1.1-1, no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1, root with Magisk 13.3

1. flashing G950FXXU1AQG5_G950FOVF1AQG1_SWC (with home_csc !!) with Odin (v3.12.3), Auto Reboot disabled in Odin
2. when Odin confirms flashing is successfully finished ('All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)': press and hold power+bixby+vol down to reboot immediately into download mode again (note: at this point you still have the message 'Downloading... Do not turn off target' on your S8'; don't get nervous for that)
3. flashing twrp-3.1.1-2-dreamlte.img.tar with Odin, Auto Reboot disabled in Odin
4. when Odin finished flashing (same as in 2.): press and hold power+bixby+vol down until device switches off (screen getting dark and short vibration) move immediately to power+bixby+vol up to boot into recovery --> twrp is starting up
5. in twrp install no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1, wipe Dalvik/Cache (maybe cache wipe is not really necessary)
6. in twrp go to reboot and reboot to recovery again
7. in twrp install magisk-v13.3.zip, wipe Dalvik/Cache (maybe cache wipe is not really necessary)
8. in twrp reboot to system

finished; device on AQG5, rooted, no data loss

Did you get "Error installing zip file 'CACHE:recovery/sec_omc.zip'" first time you boot in TWRP? You shoul see this red string entering in recovery or in the logs section.

I was using your procedure (last update to AQF7) and results in a partial installation because (for what I've seen) after odin flash, Samsung expect to reboot in (stock) recovery to install CSC customization.

If I skip the stock recovery boot, the rom boots and works, but:
  • no VoLTE
  • empty CSC (Phone Info app)
  • no /system/omc folder
  • dial codes aren't working
  • "KT" (korean operator) entry in settings (and other duplicates)

Didn't this happen to you? Maybe this dipendes from product code? Mine is ITV.

Reactions: schnulidoa

miloshp

Dec 18, 2010
Belgrade
Finally rooted!

Starting state:
Stock AQG5 firmware and BL, new S8 FD, no root or twrp installed.

Steps to install TWRP 3.1.1-2: Exactly as described in OP post #3!
After successfully booting into TWRP, I did backup of EFS partition on SD card, then proceed to format data.
Then, directly installed custom ROM and choose to root with SuperSu.
No any problem! Perfect, thank you Jesec! :):good:

Last edited:

shadow_empire1

Oct 23, 2007
Vienna
here is my experienc to get AQG5 rooted

S8+ starting from AQF7, TWRP 3.1.1-1, no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1, su-root-ed:
Flashed: twrp-3.1.1-2-dream2lte.img.tar with odin 3.12.7
reboot to system -> success
reboot to twrp -> no success (because it needs AQG5)
flashed AQG5 with odin (BL, AP, CP, CSC_HOME)
reboot to system -> success, no root, no data loss
boot to download mode
flashed twrp-3.1.1-2-dream2lte.img.tar
reboot -> no success, system wants to be resetted...
shutdown
reboot into twrp
flashed no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1
flashed Magisk-v13.3.zip
reboot to system
reboot -> no success, system wants to be resetted...

---> Reflashed AQG5 (stock) with odin (BL, AP, CP, CSC (not HOME)) :(
booted to system, ok
Steps to install TWRP 3.1.1-2: Exactly as described in OP post #3!
(root with Magisk)
reboot to system -> success, rooted but all data loss

Strangely I got a lot of red mounting errors in TWRP with my first try.
I assume it was related by a necessary "Format Data"? After that the errors were gone.
So maybe I did something wrong, or there is somewhere still a glitch?

anyway I am now on a rooted AQG5 :)
thx for all the effort jesec and all the other helping hands!

edit:

Had to replace Magisk with SuperSU as it is not working as expected (Lucky Patcher crashing)

Just after flashing SU, my phone does not boot anymore.
Stuck at RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCED

So, back to AQF7 :(

Last edited:

schnulidoa

Jan 15, 2010
Did you get "Error installing zip file 'CACHE:recovery/sec_omc.zip'" first time you boot in TWRP? You shoul see this red string entering in recovery or in the logs section.

I was using your procedure (last update to AQF7) and results in a partial installation because (for what I've seen) after odin flash, Samsung expect to reboot in (stock) recovery to install CSC customization.

If I skip the stock recovery boot, the rom boots and works, but:
  • no VoLTE
  • empty CSC (Phone Info app)
  • no /system/omc folder
  • dial codes aren't working
  • "KT" (korean operator) entry in settings (and other duplicates)

Didn't this happen to you? Maybe this dipendes from product code? Mine is ITV.

Very interesting. I had the problem with dial codes not working an KT settings after I updated to AGF7 a while ago with the same procedure. But I didn't figure out why

Now I know the reason, thank you for these information ! :good:

don't know about the other topics in your list, I didn't check for that.
This time with the update to AQG5 everything seems perfect; dial codes working, no KT settings any more, VoLTE working. /system/omc folder is there but emtpy (I don't know the purpose of it). I didn't get the error message you mentioned.

Reactions: torrente777

robbinh00d

Aug 8, 2012
stuck on samsung logo but i can boot up to twrp it just won't get pasted it.
i have s8+ FD WITH aqg5
IDK WHAT TO DO LOL

Mine is the same way exactly. My only way out is to flash the stock image of AQGB. And even that's kinda difficult. Most of the time it will fail in Odin so you have to keep holding Power+Bixby+Vol Down while spamming the 'Start' button in Odin. Eventually it will pick it up and write the image to the phone.

But what fun is that?? If I'm lucky I'll have TWRP installed and (if at all possible) Magisk. Boot into TWRP and none of the normal folders are there and it cannot mount Data, etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.1
    Exynos ONLY.
    In NO way it is compatible with Snapdragon variants including but not limited to American(U/A/T/P/V), Chinese(0/8/6), Hong Kong(0), Japanese(SC-*), Canadian(W) variants.

home.png
    backupname.png

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Special Notes:
    1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options).
    2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
    (Your warranty may be voided. However this may not affect you if your country, European Union for example, forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status.)
    More Infos: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_the_Android_operating_system
    3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
    (You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)
    4. It is HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED to purchase any access to any kind of private forums, ROMs or Kernels.
    (DO NOT GET FOOLED.)

Download:
    Galaxy S8 (dreamlte - Exynos vaiants - G950F/FD/N/X)
    https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxys8.html
    Galaxy S8+ (dream2lte - Exynos variants - G955F/FD/X/N)
    https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxys8plus.html

Sources:
    https://github.com/TeamWin

Changelog:
    Check #2.

Guide:
    Check #3.

Official Telegram Group: - General Discussion
    Join to get quick support (when you find my guide confusing or meet any unexpected problem).
    You can also discuss about ROMs(this group is "neutral" so you can discuss about or review any ROM. Note: Devs: Do NOT aggressively advertise your work.), get latest updates from developers or report possible bugs.
    Invite Link

Show your appreciation:
    Click Thanks!, Rate 5-star or/and Donate to me. ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Galaxy S8 and S8+, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
    jesec
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin

Version Information

Created 2017-04-24
    Last Updated 2018-07-22
    Guides:

Notice: It may wipe all your data including those in internal storage.

Part 1 - HOW-TO FLASH TWRP:
    1. In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
    2. Go to Settings -> Developer options and enable OEM Unlock option.
    3. Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phones Drivers.
    - Option 1: Download and Install Smart Switch for PC.
    - Option 2: Download and Install standalone driver package.
    4. Download and extract Odin (Samsung's Flash Tool) to your computer.
    5. Download a .tar image of TWRP.
    6. Reboot your device to download mode.
    - Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] for approx. 15 seconds.
    - Read the warning carefully.
    - If you agree, press [VOLUME UP] to get into Download mode. If you don't agree, STOP.
    7. Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
    8. Connect your phone.
    9. Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin.
    10. Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP.

Part 2 - HOW-TO INITIALIZE TWRP: (for new phones)
    1. If you completed Part 1 successfully, you should be in TWRP now. At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
    2. Select "Keep /system RO". (Don't swipe right or you may not be able to boot into system if you failed to complete next steps. However, you can swipe right to allow modifications if you are confident that you can complete next steps.)
    3. Go to "Wipe" menu of TWRP and you will find "Format Data". Press "Format Data" and type "yes" to continue.
    4. Go to "Reboot" menu and Press "Recovery" to reboot TWRP.
    5. Download the latest dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
    6. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    - Option 1: MTP: Connect your phone with computer and just copy the zip to internal storage. (similar to how you transfer files when in system.)
    - Option 2: ADB: Connect your phone with computer and run command "adb push /path/to/zip /sdcard/".
    - Option 3: External SD: Copy the zip to an external SD and then insert the card to your phone.
    7. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

TWRP is initialized and fully functional at this stage. Now you can either reboot into system or root, flash custom ROMs via TWRP.

Part 3 - HOW-TO ROOT:
    1. Download the flashable zip.
    - Option 1: Magisk
    - Option 2: SuperSU (untested)
    2. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    3. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

Part 3a - HOW-TO FLASH CUSTOM ROMS:
    1. Download the flashable zip.
    2. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    3. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.
    Simple.
    Changelog:

Aug. 02:
    Merged AQG kernel updates from Samsung.
    NOTE: AQG or later bootloader is supported and REQUIRED from this version.

May. 30:
    Possible fix for I/O problems.
    Backported latest F2FS from Linux 4.12.
    Minor kernel updates.

Apr. 27:
    Problems Solved:
    1. MTP
    2. ADB
    3. External SD Mount

Features Added:
    F2FS - Note: This change ONLY makes it possible to operate F2FS in TWRP. You still need a F2FS-compatible KERNEL to boot into system with F2FS.

Note: As MTP and ADB are available now, flashable zips will no longer be included. Please download them by yourself and transfer them from your computer to phone if you need them.
    Useful Links:
    Disable dm-verity and make encryption optional: https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/no-verity-opt-encrypt/
    Magisk: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk

Apr. 24:
    Initial Release
    I am aware of compatibility issues related to newer bootloader.
    New version of TWRP will be released soon with support to newer BLs.
    New official builds will be released soon with support to newer BLs.
    At this moment, you can checkout Telegram channel for unofficial test builds.