[MODIFIED][RECOVERY] TWRP 3.2.1 for OnePlus 5 [OSS Clang Kernel][Enhancements]

Search This thread

sjamie

Aug 6, 2011
No idea, I prefer encrypted because of security. Maybey someone else can test it without encryption :). I am very happy that it works with OTG, and the 'red errors' while booting twrp are gone also. Happy camper here.

Same here! :highfive:
I'll probably test decrypted just for kicks if no one beats me to it....

Reactions: tinuz97

paratox

Feb 18, 2010
I can confirm I successfully was on oos 4.5.8 No Limits from @xXx and restores to mokee build date 8-1-17 from the USB-OTG, continued to update to mokee 8-5-17

No boot loop, data restoration is fine, And no more ugly message
"No OS your sure you want to reboot?" or something like that

Here is a direct link of my build I'm running tests on for those that trust me. Also in my signature
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889764386195921506

Now to test restoring back to oos 4.5.8

:good: looks like @xdvs23 and you did it! a big thanks and sorry again for my disrespectful postings in this thread. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: sjamie

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
I"m still very happy with the latest TWRP and haven't been able to uncover any problems.

Couple of things: Although I like the theme @katinatez listed as being one he uses because it's more 'natural' feeling, it seems like it doesn't theme all the functionality of the original UI (or does it do everything and I'm not yet seeing it?). Anyway, it does enough and it is better on the touch and UI world so thanks again.

Also: It seems like after all the work that @katinatez & @xdvs23 did to whip this thing into shape, that it should be in the OP, replacing both of the other links so that newcomers looking for TWRP can get that this is the one to use. (Unless and until Official TWRP status is confirmed and then this can replace that thread or so I'd hope).

Thanks.

thaidroid

Dec 10, 2010
Pattaya (Thailand)
OnePlus 5T
Realme 7
I installed the TWRP Image on my phone (I'm encrypted but only have swipe up to open) I backed up NoLimits latest build to internal storage.
Did a Factory Reset and hit restore about half way through the restore failed I don't remember the message since I went into panic mode:).
I noticed that when I started the restore it said 6.9GB but the backup was about 5.7GB. The phone is so fast that there is no time to go whooaa stop a bit:D. Anyhow spent the last three hours putting things back to normal had to start with cleanflash of NoLimits then my appbackup program (OandBackup) would not recognize it's own backups:confused:So I had to install them manually from the directory myself. Luckily both the app's and data was restored. Next I went hunting for a new backup app and I found one faster than sin. It backs up and restores just about anything. I Use Viber as a test app, If you can restore Viber with data and it works from the get go then it's a good app. It's got an interface that takes some playing with but I reccomend it for a Try out, much faster than Tiranium;) you can find it here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts
Anyhow All is well again I probably did something wrong. Only had the phone a week used to Se Samsung since the I9000 days.
I'm retired so spending a few hours fixing the phone and learning a trick or two is OK.
I'll Try again in a week:D:D

Hmm I flashed the Image using TWRP 3.1.1.1 and after the flash it said TWRP 3.1.1.K2 but interestingly I had flashed the Black and red TWRP theme earlier and it was still there after Flashing 3.1.1.K2? Not sure if that has anything to do with anything........

Last edited:

katinatez

Mar 17, 2011
I"m still very happy with the latest TWRP and haven't been able to uncover any problems.

Couple of things: Although I like the theme @katinatez listed as being one he uses because it's more 'natural' feeling, it seems like it doesn't theme all the functionality of the original UI (or does it do everything and I'm not yet seeing it?). Anyway, it does enough and it is better on the touch and UI world so thanks again.

Also: It seems like after all the work that @katinatez & @xdvs23 did to whip this thing into shape, that it should be in the OP, replacing both of the other links so that newcomers looking for TWRP can get that this is the one to use. (Unless and until Official TWRP status is confirmed and then this can replace that thread or so I'd hope).

Thanks.
To replace op links is not up to me, that is @xdvs23 decision. Besides we have different device tree for compiling. I have only been very active in recovery threads because; I like everyone else wanted a stable full functioning recovery. With xdvs23 collaboration we have come to this recovery release. But its not over I plan to release another 3.1.1-k3 changelog I have planned is to rebase & update kernel source to oos 4.5.7 and add other kernel related commits. And look into speed up backups to USB_OTG. Here is my new kernel source for next release.
https://github.com/katinatez/android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998/commits/QC8998_N_7.1

Last edited:

NHNXDA

Jan 26, 2008
I was reading on twrp site, you need to use a custom kernel otherwise you may face issues when you swipe to allow modifications, is this still the case with the twrp versions current on the thread as I cant see anything about that on here.

TIA.

katinatez

Mar 17, 2011
I was reading on twrp site, you need to use a custom kernel otherwise you may face issues when you swipe to allow modifications, is this still the case with the twrp versions current on the thread as I cant see anything about that on here.

TIA.
The kernel source was the problem on earlier releases that was coming up with errors in recovery log. My logic in rebasing kernel source is to start from scratch and just add what is needed for recovery. Besides I'm already running new version and I don't see any problems, but won't release until I'm satisfied all testing is done.

NHNXDA

Jan 26, 2008
The kernel source was the problem on earlier releases that was coming up with errors in recovery log. My logic in rebasing kernel source is to start from scratch and just add what is needed for recovery. Besides I'm already running new version and I don't see any problems, but won't release until I'm satisfied all testing is done.

So with latest versions on here you can now "swipe to allow"?

sjamie

Aug 6, 2011

I'm loving your work, my friend! If you need another tester, just let me know.

Reactions: katinatez

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UNOFFICIAL TWRP 3.2.1 (modified) for OnePlus 5

twrp-cheeseburger2.png

If you don't know how to return back to a working state if something is broken, please think twice before flashing this.

Everything seems to be working so far, if not, please report to me!
    Warning: Make sure you make a backup of all your important data manually before flashing anything, making any backups or restoring. There seems to be an issue which causes a bootloop after restoring data partition at the moment.
    I'm not responsible for any data loss, bricks, or whatever went wrong on your device. I can try to help you but I won't pay your RMA just because you decided to do this to your device.

Working
    • Everything except what's not working, see below

Not working / issues
    • Restoring data partition from backups will lead to boot issues on some ROMs (including OOS) if FBE-encrypted. It's not a TWRP issue but rather a side effect on how FBE works.

Download latest working image here (twrp-3.2.1-cheeseburger-127-20180106-190542-CET)
    Download previous working image here (twrp-3.1.1-cheeseburger-84-20170820-194433-CEST)

While this TWRP is now very similar to codeworkx', it's a completely different source base and is independent from him.
    This variant is a bit more bleeding edge and contains changes that are not available in TWRP images built from the official repositories.
    If you want ultimate stability, consider using his TWRP instead.

Supported ROMs (encryption support):
    • OxygenOS 5.0.1
    • Android 8.1 ROMs (tested: halogenOS)

Please let me know in this thread whether it works for the ROM you are using.

Logs

Code:
    adb pull /tmp/recovery.log
    adb pull /cache/recovery/last_log
    adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt
    And send me the last_log file, recovery.log file as well as dmesg.txt

Device tree: https://github.com/xdevs23/android_device_oneplus_cheeseburger-twrp
    Kernel: https://github.com/halogenOS/android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998
    Source tree: https://github.com/mintwrp-extended/
    Ok, kids are in bed :D

op5-twrp-k3.img

Changelog:
    Speed up backups over USB-OTG & Internal
    Updated kernel 4.4.74
    Exfat kernel support
    NTFS r/w support
    F2FS support

https://github.com/katinatez/android_device_oneplus_cheeseburger/commits/android-7.1

My baseline for comparison is my previous build k2 had 7-12 mb/second usb-otg
    New build k3 is coming at 11-21 mb/second usb-otg
    Remember to set your settings to compression for similar speeds.
    Good Night Enjoy, have to wake up in like 5 hours
    Nice! :highfive: I am ready to try your new TWRP 3.1.1-k2 once uploaded. I'll also be testing it with xXx and Mokee ROMs.
    I can confirm I successfully was on oos 4.5.8 No Limits from @xXx and restores to mokee build date 8-1-17 from the USB-OTG, continued to update to mokee 8-5-17

No boot loop, data restoration is fine, And no more ugly message
    "No OS your sure you want to reboot?" or something like that

Here is a direct link of my build I'm running tests on for those that trust me. Also in my signature
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889764386195921506

Now to test restoring back to oos 4.5.8
    @xdvs23
    I figured out the recovery error logs in red print!! Testing new recovery right now!
    I read every line in the recovery.log but found the answer in the kernel.log!
    The problem resulting in all those errors is all the fscrypt: commits in kernel, I just rebased kernel source to this and everything is golden!
    https://github.com/katinatez/android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998/tree/QC8998_N_7.1

Also your Fix USB-OTG commit does not fix the usb-otg, I believe since the official twrp device tree is using a pre-built kernel. That is why its not picking up the kernel command line. I verified this by compiling official cheeseburger device tree and testing on my own phone.

I just submitted a USB-OTG fix into gerrit which I compiled and verified it does fix it!
    https://gerrit.twrp.me/#/c/2634/
    New test image (v83)

Changelog:
    • Sync omni sources
    • Update kernel (rebase) & use linaro 6.3.1 for that (otherwise compilation won't work)
    • Import and patch OOS 4.5.6 crypto blobs
    • Use inbuilt libs only

I said I would do a hybrid way of using the libs, that is prioritizing system libs and using inbuilt as fallback but I realized it doesn't make much sense doing that so I just decided to use the inbuilt libs only.

Please test data backup & restore WITH ENCRYPTION (that means you need to be asked for a password/pin/gesture on TWRP start) on this test image! Note that I don't know whether the issue is fixed so that's why you should test it but do not involve your important data in this, make separate backups in other ways first!

I updated the git repository accordingly, so view it here for further information.