Car install discussion thread

Search This thread

Sesme

Jan 20, 2011
Toletvm
The trouble is manage calls on your tablet and a2dp music reproduction.

I see this vídeo for use android auto over WiFi

https://youtu.be/j-Z5SbQQsZA

Is a good idea...But it is somewhat cumbersome. The idea would be to use the tablet as a headset simply since everything else can do it. I have looked at the blueZ configuration and I do not know if changing something I can modify as my mobile sees it.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
I've a weird issue, when I have my tablet inside my car, using the latest stock rom + tibur, it deep sleeps for 99.5% of the time, yet every night or so it loses a considerable amount of battery, say 7-8%. Having the tablet idle on my desk for the same amount of time means about the same amount of deep sleep, but just 1% of wasted battery. The tablet is in fixed mode and not powering other devices, and when i turn the key the tablet's off animation triggers and it goes to sleep just fine (as evidenced by the deep sleep values).

djtiko

Jun 21, 2009
Hoping someone can help me here.

Super frustrated as I am having charging issues.

My setup is a nexus 7 2013 flo model, I was running timurs kernel 5.11 on stock rom. It used to run fine for months then all of a sudden it stopped charging and would slowly discharge. In the power event manager it would show a negative charge rate anywhere from -400 to -600.

I decided to buy all new cables and a 2.4AMP USB Car Charger. Replacing all this stuff had it charging for a day and now its back to the same discharging rate. Randomly PEM will show positive values and it will actually charge but it will only last for 5 minutes and then it goes back to discharging. I also upgraded to timurs latest kernel for Android 6.0 and I am still having the same problems.

It charges fine at home using a wall plug. I am not sure what else can be causing issues here. The new cables I purchased are pretty thick as far as usb cables go. I was thinking my USB port on the tablet itself is going bad but then I figured I could rule it out since it charges fine though a wall outlet.

Any ideas? I am really stuck here. Thanks

Reactions: fr4nk1yn

hachiroku

Jan 28, 2008
I wasn't able to install Timur's v4.0 final. Went ahead and installed EX 5.16 and OTG plus charging works and is hot pluggable. It seems that charging is only limited to 500mV. Is this the case with Timur's as well using OTG?

Comprox

Feb 5, 2013
Hey, I am looking to activate the stk1160.ko for my camera setup. I see people are pointed to this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskernel/comments/342h3t/v3_betar4_for_android_510_flo_deb/

I am not sure how to run the commands locally. No matter what cable I try, my PC does not see my tablet anymore (but works fine with my phone). Can I run these commands via an app locally?

Code:
su
echo "insmod /system/vendor/stk1160.ko" > /data/local/userinit.sh
chmod 777 /data/local/userinit.sh

Thanks!

Hey, I am looking to activate the stk1160.ko for my camera setup. I see people are pointed to this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskernel/comments/342h3t/v3_betar4_for_android_510_flo_deb/

I am not sure how to run the commands locally. No matter what cable I try, my PC does not see my tablet anymore (but works fine with my phone). Can I run these commands via an app locally?

Code:
su

Thanks!

I gave up trying to get vcam to work and just got easycap viewer, I tried everthing to and failed to get it going, installed easycap viewer worked 1st go

Code:
su

Thanks!
In a terminal app.

Sent from my Sprint Note 3 running Lineage 7.1.1 on the T-Mobile Network. XDA-Developers Legacy app

Comprox

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for the help guys. I got the userinit.sh file moved and chmoded fine, but I am still getting no video. I think I might be missing something in my setup.
LYdTEqA.png

That's not the full setup, obviously. I have been running a setup that is wired in and hooked up to the radio harness and it's been running fine. The USB Hub and Easycap device are powered correctly. I have verified that 5V is going to the camera when the backup light is on (tested with a multi meter). I downloaded a few different easycap viewers from the store but none get any video. The easycap device I bought was one that other people said did work. When I run the camera manually from the Timur settings, it just comes up as a black screen with no errors (once I set it to the correct settings for my camera).

I see Timur has a spliced in cable for the basic diagram here: https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/auto-rearcam/ Will my power setup need to be changed? I was hoping to not have to splice in wires since, well, I suck at it. Thanks guys!

Reactions: valk791
you have got the correct setting in your preferred app for the camera format? ie PAL ot NTSC?
another thing I had trouble with on my skoda was the canbus, I got camera view without car running, but black screen with engine running, it was due to pulse with modulation pwm, the cars canbus would not be giving a constant 12v with engine running, I had to take power from the boot courtesy light via a relay
don't know if this is the case for you, but just food for thought, as that had me stumped for a little while

Last edited:

mylanezu

Aug 3, 2013
"I wasn't able to install Timur's v4.0 final. Went ahead and installed EX 5.16 and OTG plus charging works and is hot pluggable. It seems that charging is only limited to 500mV. Is this the case with Timur's as well using OTG?"

Hello, I have the same issue. Maybe someone will help us :)

Comprox

Feb 5, 2013
I do believe I had the correct camera settings. I pulled the setup out of the car and spliced in a 5V power unit directly to the camera and still have just a black video. If I try any other resolution than 720x480, it gets the error 'failed to init video input...". When set to the correct settings (NTSC, 720x480, easycap, etc) there is no error, but just the black screen. Is this enough to tell if the easycap device or the camera might be the issue? Or is there a way for me to narrow down the problem?
Thanks!

ion&co

Jun 26, 2016
Hello guys. Will anyone suggest a rom with best and loudest music sound trough aux and bluetooth? tried quite a few but no satisfactory result. using poweramp with no other mods and stuff like that. thanks

"I wasn't able to install Timur's v4.0 final. Went ahead and installed EX 5.16 and OTG plus charging works and is hot pluggable. It seems that charging is only limited to 500mV. Is this the case with Timur's as well using OTG?"

no charging is not limited to 500 mv with timurs rom

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

I do believe I had the correct camera settings. I pulled the setup out of the car and spliced in a 5V power unit directly to the camera and still have just a black video. If I try any other resolution than 720x480, it gets the error 'failed to init video input...". When set to the correct settings (NTSC, 720x480, easycap, etc) there is no error, but just the black screen. Is this enough to tell if the easycap device or the camera might be the issue? Or is there a way for me to narrow down the problem?
Thanks!

use easycap viewer mate from playstore
I gave up with vcam with 3 easycap devices, always get failed to init, the only time I ever got vcam to work was with a usb webamera or my usb android headunit dashcam
instantly worked with those, but could not be bothered with the modifications needed to get any usb webcamera mounted in my tailgate
cheap proper camera for my motor and easycap devices where bought from aliexpress
easycap and vcam aged me 5 years in the 3 weeks I was trying to get it to work lol
£2.59 or so from the playstore for easycap viewer is well worth the money

Last edited:
Reactions: fr4nk1yn

Comprox

Feb 5, 2013
no charging is not limited to 500 mv with timurs rom

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

use easycap viewer mate from playstore
I gave up with vcam with 3 easycap devices, always get failed to init, the only time I ever got vcam to work was with a usb webamera or my usb android headunit dashcam
instantly worked with those, but could not be bothered with the modifications needed to get any usb webcamera mounted in my tailgate
cheap proper camera for my motor and easycap devices where bought from aliexpress
easycap and vcam aged me 5 years in the 3 weeks I was trying to get it to work lol
£2.59 or so from the playstore for easycap viewer is well worth the money

Sadly that didn't work for me. The pay app just crashes when I connect the camera. I tried every different variant of settings that I could find. I tried 2 different easycap devices and 2 different cameras as well. I tried many free camera apps but they all just said disconnected. I was able to see the device in the USB list in Timurs area. Unless someone has a magical idea, I think I'm giving up on this one. Too much money and time spent. :(

BMCracer

Aug 12, 2017
So, for a not-so-tech person, who wants a nexus 7 2013 in his car to run BtSsm via a Tactrix open port 2.0 and Tactrix OBD2 extension cable, a reversing camera, Google maps for navigation ( downloaded area maps as not running a sim card or tethering to phone ), and maybe some music from the Nexus through the car stereo ( Macintosh ) would you recommend Timor's kernel or Tasker? or something else?

So far I've got a Behringer UCA222 USB DAC, a USB OTG Y cable, a 12v to 5v 3A 15W power supply. Waiting for Tactrix bits. Rooted my Nexus 7 today, so now it's ROM time, but which one??

Last edited:

goliat88

Nov 19, 2012
I have problem with my nexus configuration. Everything works fine first time if i connect hub and dac to tablet but when everything is connected and i turn ignition off and on tablet do not see HUB, DAC. Works pulling microusb from tablet and putting it back in. Is there any solution for this?
Nexus 7 2013 Lineage O.S 14 elemental X kernel.

Last edited:

valk791

Dec 27, 2013
Hi guys what do you use Tasker for? I would like to implement some tricks busy I don't have so much imagination :D

Inviato dal mio FRD-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

sara.ramli

Jan 10, 2014
Chennai
Honor 7
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
I have problem with my nexus configuration. Everything works fine first time if i connect hub and dac to tablet but when everything is connected and i turn ignition off and on tablet do not see HUB, DAC. Works pulling microusb from tablet and putting it back in. Is there any solution for this?
Nexus 7 2013 Lineage O.S 14 elemental X kernel.
One familiar advice for this familiar problem is to ensure that your hub, dac and other peripherals receive power first before your tab. Not sure what your power setup is, but at the least you could include couple of switches in the power circuitry and switch them on in the correct order. That's how I have mine setup.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Hi guys what do you use Tasker for? I would like to implement some tricks busy I don't have so much imagination :D

Inviato dal mio FRD-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
Anything that will cut down your fiddling with the tab while driving and let's you focus on the road instead. I have nearly 40 different profiles in place for my setup. Make note of the distractions the tab usage causes and all of them are potential candidates for automation

goliat88

Nov 19, 2012
One familiar advice for this familiar problem is to ensure that your hub, dac and other peripherals receive power first before your tab. Not sure what your power setup is, but at the least you could include couple of switches in the power circuitry and switch them on in the correct order. That's how I have mine setup.
My setup is Tablet connected to OTG+Charge Power goes in to this cable. Hub is connected to OTG Cable. Sound Card is connected to HUB.
Can u tell me how your setup looks like. Mayby tasker can delay powering tablet?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all, I had a Nexus 7 tablet professionally installed into my 08 Lexus IS250 by Bing and Joey over at Simplicity in Sound, you can find their build log at DIYMA website (link coming after I post 10 times).

I just wanted to share some details for other people who are attempting a build/setup like this themselves, I have gotten plenty of useful information from this forum and would like to contribute by posting up my findings and research to make it easier for the next person. If you are interested in doing this for your own vehicle, I hope this will help. Thanks!

List of Tablet Features:

- Tablet turns on when car is turned on (IGN/ACC), turns off when car is turned off. Minimal battery drain when car is off (<1% per day)

- CyanogenMod 11 and custom kernel installed: full customization of tablet settings (CPU/GPU tweaks, battery life optimization, screen auto brightness curve, etc.)

- Tablet physical buttons not needed: tablet can be rebooted or put to sleep (screen off) using on-screen software buttons; tablet can be turned back on (double tap on screen to wake) without pressing the physical power button

- Steering wheel controls (volume down, volume up, previous track, next track, mode) are mapped to android volume up/down, previous/next track, and back/home buttons, no need for physical tablet volume buttons

- Incoming calls and text messages are shown on tablet screen. Can reply to texts, answer calls from tablet screen directly, still requires bluetooth headset or car kit/headunit

- Rearview camera feed available on tablet screen (RCA or USB webcam) through Dashcam app (has to be started manually)

- USB audio output to a DAC (digital-analog converter) of your choice for high quality sound output (note: not all DACs compatible)

- Voice commands through Google for navigation, etc.

*Wifi connection to phone tethering required for maps/navigation and other apps

One thing I wanted to mention specifically: the Joycon series of modules has been used in many car PC installations as a way to control Windows PC functions with the OEM steering wheel buttons. What it does is turn the resistive (or in some cars, digital) signal from the OEM steering wheel buttons into a USB keyboard signal that can be recognized by Windows PCs, but also fortunately for us, Android devices. The functionality isn’t perfect, setup has to be done on a PC first before connecting it to the tablet, but in this manner we were able to eliminate the need to access the physical power and volume buttons located on the edge of the tablet, making for a super clean install (the power button functionality is replaced by an on-screen software button/widget). The driver can then control volume, track seek, and even the back/home keys from just the 5 steering wheel buttons. Please refer to the google doc linked at the beginning of this post for wiring and setup details.

One other comment on how the tablet outputs audio: I specifically wanted the tablet output from a USB audio DAC for a cleaner signal. We chose a DAC that does not require a separate power switch or a power supply, so that it turns on automatically when the car is turned on. This also allows us to not require a separate cable connected to the 3.5mm audio output on the tablet, again, a cleaner install. Bluetooth connectivity to the Mosconi 6to8 addon board is also an option, but costs more.

Finally, some comments on the software setup (details and links to all software/apps are provided in google doc):

CyanogenMod 11 (M7 snapshot build from June 2014, on 4.4.2 base in order to be compatible with Glitch kernel, see below) was chosen for its USB audio output capability, and all the extra customization it brings to the Nexus 7. Other ROMs may also provide this functionality, up to user preference.

The kernel by Glitch (r142) was chosen for AC charging, double tap 2 wake, and CAF compatibility (with CM11). For some reason, I cannot get OTG charging on startup to work with other kernels such as ElementalX.

Tasker is a MUST for automating functions such as tablet shutdown, Wi-Fi tethering, Tablet Talk connectivity, and anything else you desire.

Tablet Talk allows me to answer calls, view and answer texts, all from the tablet screen. No need to glance down at my phone to see who is calling or who just texted me.

The Dashcam app in conjuction with the FEBON UVC grabber card allows for display of a RCA video feed, but it has to be started manually. Automation is theoretically possible, as the Joycon exr can sense voltages on one of its input channels and you could tap into the power for the reverse lights, then convert that into a USB keypress combination, then use an app (such as keyboard helper pro) to automatically launch the dashcam app when that keypress is detected… but it takes me literally 1 second to tap the app on my tablet screen to launch it before I shift into Reverse.

Feel free to contact me via PM or post if you are attempting a build like this and would like more questions answered. If you are in the SF Bay Area and would like to get this done professionally, contact Bing and Joey at Simplicity in Sound.

Hardware Used (PM for links):

DCDC-USB voltage converter (used to maintain steady, constant 12V power to dashcam, portable USB battery pack, and to 5V buck converter)

AmazonBasics 4 port USB 2.0 hub (just a regular USB hub for all the various peripherals - USB DAC, UVC grabber card/webcam, and Joycon)

Febon100 UVC grabber card (converts a set of RCA video/audio signals into USB, to connect to an existing rear-view camera; otherwise a USB webcam can be installed instead)

ODAC USB digital-analog converter with RCA outputs (no on-off switch, no separate power requirement other than USB source, turns on automatically when car is turned on)

OTG USB y-cable (micro USB to connect to phone/tablet, male USB Type A to connect to power source, female USB Type A to connect to USB accessories (hub, DAC, camera)

5-wire USB extension cable (must have 5 wires for OTG functionality, unless you short two of the pins, just like an OTG cable)

Joycon exr

Nexus 7 (2013) 2nd gen, wifi version (flo), 16GB

Software used:

CyanogenMod 11 (CM11) Nightly ROM

Glitch kernel for flo/deb, CM/CAF version, r142

TWRP recovery

gapps for CM11

Tasker app

Secure Settings plugin for Tasker, Pro version

Dashcam app

Tablet Talk app

Tablet Talk Tasker plugin

To allow tablet to boot when car is turned on (tablet receives power/charging)
    - When tablet is powered on and connected to computer in debugging mode (make sure adb is working first by checking with “adb devices” command):
    - Type:
    “adb reboot bootloader”
    “fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0”

Set Tasker profile to shutdown tablet when car is turned off (State: power source = any, Invert)

Set Tasker profile using Tablet Talk plugin to turn on Tablet Talk when connected to Tethered wifi from phone

Phone: enable tethering hotspot when connected to headunit BT, turn on tablet talk app using plugin
    How did you alter the bootloader? Thanks

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

How did you alter the bootloader? Thanks

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

This tells the tablet to power on when a power source is connected, instead of staying off and charging.
    anyone know of how i can cause the tablet to shut down with my car and how to power on with my car?

T1murs kernel

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    I wanted to go ahead and let people know, that if the main reason you want this kernel is to save battery than you do not need this. i am running official cm11 07/06/2014 with elementalx kernel 2.13 with a few build.prop tweaks and tasker profiles i was able to get 1-2% drop after 18hours. after waking it up and checking battery stats it showed i only lost 1% battery but from keeping the screen on going into setting to turn on screenshoting it did drop to that 2%. so yea it technically only dropped 1% over 18hours.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy266/darkmage1991/Screenshot_2014-07-08-13-46-19_zps5636d2e8.png
    http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy266/darkmage1991/Screenshot_2014-07-08-13-39-16_zps3d03fe66.png
    http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy266/darkmage1991/Screenshot_2014-07-08-13-39-51_zps4a7d0131.png
    http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy266/darkmage1991/Screenshot_2014-07-08-13-39-32_zpsd3a4244b.png

now i have my nexus 7 fiberglassed in my dash and have had it there for over a year with the nexus 7 1st gen and upgraded to the 2nd gen a few months back. these build.prop edits and tasker profiles make the battery much much better without having to purchase a kernel that should never be a pay for product in the first place. but this method has otg+charge working just fine and battery lasting ages.

if this is something people would be interested in let me know and i can either upload a CWM backup or try remembering all the changes i did to my build prob. this should be know i do not have anything other than my music player/tomtom nav/battery monitoring/tasker/ installed nothing else has been put on. but alot of unnecessary stuff was removed using root explorer in the system/apps directory including Bluetooth printing etc.

ok for those that pm'd me: these are the changes i did to build.prop:

add these lines-
    pm.sleep_mode=1
    ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=1

in tasker i did this
    when tablet loses power - airplane mode on/kill music player/kill tomtom gps/brightnes 5
    when tablet has power - airplane off/run app music player/run tomtom app/brightness 255

in development option in settings i set tablet to keep the screen on when charging
    in lockscreen settings i set screen security to "none" and turn all screenlock widgets off (had to turn these off as cyanogenmods weather was taking some battery)
    and in performance i set max cpu speed at 1ghz (did this so while screen is on and listening to music there's no chance of cpu overheating)

in adb i ran this command fastboot oem-off-mode charge 0 to force the tablet to power off if under power, just to be sure that if the tablet does freeze of something that it will power itself on.

other than those tweaks i used cm11 latest nightly and elementalx latest kernel, these settings allowed me to get very very little battery drop overnight.

with these settings i was able to get 18hours and only 1-2% battery drop and otg+charge works just fine with my dac plugged in. i will do a longer battery test here in the next few days to see what the battery drop is over like 2-3 days. sure beats giving 40$ to some greedy **** thats trying to sell a modified free licensed product :D
    Just a heads up for ppl that wanna measure the charge current goint to the in dash

There are a couple apps but i use current widget on playstore

This helped me find the best cable combination and not 1% drop all day with timurs kernel and everything running ...

Hope it helps

Sent from my LG-D803 using XDA Free mobile app