[GUIDE] Fix an unflashable or soft bricked N7100!

Search This thread

Re_T

May 12, 2014
My friends Note 2 GT-N7100 stopped working suddenly.
She really wouldn't care so much, if it weren't for some quite precious photos in the internal memory.

I've already tried to figure out the problem in the Noob-thread where tetakpatak did his best to help me (https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=70524500#post70524500).
Probably should have started a thread of its own to this little piece of... unhappiness :D

I am wondering if flashing the recovery package with the re-partition ticked and the .PIT file will erase the photos from the internal memory?

When powered on the phone gets stuck at the Samsung logo, to turn it off you have to pull the battery.
If I plug the phone to a charger, it only shows a static pic of a battery, but nothing else happens. If it gets unplugged, the pic stays on the screen (have to boot or pull battery).
The laptop reacts (first time installs the device) when the phone is turned on and connected via USB.
I can get to Odin mode, but if fails.
I can also get to System recovery, but no help there because ADB does not work (it connects to pc in Adb sideload though).

No luck trying with different Odin and firmware nor recovery.
Tried different usb-cables and -ports. With and without external SD card.
Installed and uninstalled drivers and stuff.
I don't think the phone is rooted.

Could the problem be NAND rw corruption?
Or does anybody have any other ideas?

In recovery it just shows a bunch of failed to mount -things

The most or only important thing in this case is to get the photos saved!
And if that would succeed, then as a nice bonus I would learn something new AND make a really good impression with the owner of the phone ;)
- and also be even more thankful for this amazing forums help!:cool:

Last edited:

pradeeprepair

Jan 9, 2017
hi all, my phone galaxy note-2 (GT-N7100), is not at all switching on. Battery (90% charged), USB cable, Charger all are in perfect condition (all are checked in another mobile. this happened after i tried to recover it by flashing custom recovery when it was struck at logo. now it got turned off completely. it wont power on, it wont show charging LED, cant be detected in odin/kies. cant enter into recovery mode or download mode either. some one suggested me i can recover its boot by using debric.img . but i am unable to find one for my model. can any one help me with debrick.img for my model, or any better way to recover it. PS: please rule out hardware issue.

Jan 1, 2011
I'm happy to help where I can.

Did you try flashing with a pit file?

I'm sorry I missed your post there. Yes I did try that, with a bunch of cables and with an adapter, nothing worked, it would stuck in "wait for mapping" or something along those lines, I think I mention it a few posts back. I will try it with the original Note 2 cable I've recently received, see what happens. Till now I've tried to flash a firmware straightforwardly with that cable, it failed, so I'll try the steps of this guide as soon as I have the time.
Btw do usb cables miss a pin? Mine does. Is that normal? Seems to work fine, it can comunicate, transfer files (tried it in other phones) and charge.

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

@Jo The Veteran : Did you fix your phone yet? Cause I think I'm on your way, lol

No, not yet man. Just got an official Note 2 cable and I will try that guide again with that when I have the time.

slimshouki

Dec 5, 2012
My friends Note 2 GT-N7100 stopped working suddenly.
She really wouldn't care so much, if it weren't for some quite precious photos in the internal memory.

I've already tried to figure out the problem in the Noob-thread where tetakpatak did his best to help me (https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=70524500#post70524500).
Probably should have started a thread of its own to this little piece of... unhappiness :D

I am wondering if flashing the recovery package with the re-partition ticked and the .PIT file will erase the photos from the internal memory?

When powered on the phone gets stuck at the Samsung logo, to turn it off you have to pull the battery.
If I plug the phone to a charger, it only shows a static pic of a battery, but nothing else happens. If it gets unplugged, the pic stays on the screen (have to boot or pull battery).
The laptop reacts (first time installs the device) when the phone is turned on and connected via USB.
I can get to Odin mode, but if fails.
I can also get to System recovery, but no help there because ADB does not work (it connects to pc in Adb sideload though).

No luck trying with different Odin and firmware nor recovery.
Tried different usb-cables and -ports. With and without external SD card.
Installed and uninstalled drivers and stuff.
I don't think the phone is rooted.

Could the problem be NAND rw corruption?
Or does anybody have any other ideas?

In recovery it just shows a bunch of failed to mount -things

The most or only important thing in this case is to get the photos saved!
And if that would succeed, then as a nice bonus I would learn something new AND make a really good impression with the owner of the phone ;)
- and also be even more thankful for this amazing forums help!:cool:
Have same problem, have you managed to fix??

Jan 1, 2011
In think USB needs 5 pins: 3 for data, 2 for charging.
So I did some digging. Apparently some micro USB2 charge cables have 5 pins, which is primarily used for OTG functionality.
The OTG specification, introduced in 2001, allows this by adding a 5th ID pin to mini and micro USB form factors. The host side of an OTG cable has the ID pin grounded, which indicates to the smart phone connected to it that it needs to act as a host and power the peripheral.
If found those two images of galaxy USB cables that specifically show the absence of the ID pin. However I couldn't find a Note 2 cable picture but I'm pretty it doesn't have one since it doesn't need to act as a host device.

sushiyogurt

Oct 4, 2016
the link for Recovery Package/ROM is dead

The link for Recovery Package/ROM is dead

Can you please provide a new link? or the file name so I could try and get it somewhere else?
I know it's such an old topic, but I'm terribly noob at this, all I do is just follow the instructions step by step (if there is one) but none of the other guide has worked so far.

Jessicahlightwood

Feb 1, 2016
Didn't work for me

I tried everything, but it isn't working for me. Followed step by step, even tried boatloader by itself but it failed. When I try all the steps including the pit it stays on pit mapping...

Not quite sure what it is but I think my phone has the "half sds" issue...

Wolffe01192937

Dec 3, 2017
Hi,

I went trough all the steps without and then with PIT flashing and nothing worked. With pit flashing it just stood on get pit for mapping.
In detail here's my issue: My phone froze on lock screen and I couldnt lock it, home button did nothing, power button did nothing, touch didnt work. Upon restarting it got stuck on on the model number screen. Upon trying to initiate Android system recovery a.k.a. hard/factory reset there was an error code in each step saying stuff like: "E: Can't mount /cache/last_log" or "E: failed to mount /cache (or efs)". Then I tried flashing stock firmware from sammobile, and yes I triple checked the current firmware on my phone and made sure I download the same one. That didn't work, it would fail after sboot or nand, depending which Odin version I used. Then I tried to use this guide which also failed: fails after nand or sboot. And as I said pit flashing would just stay on get PIT for mapping. what can I do do fix it or to be certain it's a faulty motherboard?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone! :D

This is a guide dedicated to those who are a bit noobish or new to XDA, so if you're not one, I would advise to stop reading now! (although feedback would be great! :))

After my success over at the GSII's boards with over 300,000 thread views all over my threads from all sections, I believe that this board should also get some taste of my how to. I'm going to be explaining step by step what to do and how to do it, while explaining each thing.

Just in case you don't know, a soft brick occurs when you flash a ROM or Kernel, and it doesn't go your way, thus bricking the "soft part", aka Software, of your phone. Therefore, it is easy to recover from. Now, if you poorly flash a ROM and it results in a NAND rw corruption (NAND's read and write function corrupted) it means that it is an issue deeper than a soft brick, but still no reason to be alarmed!

When you can flash a kernel, but you can't flash a ROM due to ODIN errors, that happens because it can't properly read the NAND, but it still can flash a kernel. But you ask, why the kernel? Because flashing a kernel is a bit deeper than flashing a ROM. When you flash a kernel, you're changing/putting new instructions to the hardware, and when flashing a ROM, the instructions that are drewn are different and more "simple" (just pulling and pushing folders without touching partitions), so when flashing, ODIN will say "FAIL" instead of "PASS", or suddenly stopping the flash out of nowhere.

IF YOU ONLY HAVE A BOOTLOOP​

Wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, MOVE ON WITH THE GUIDE :)

Let's start with the basic files, downloads and requirements

1) You have to know the basics of ODIN and flashing for starters!

2) Just to be safe, please uninstall Samsung KIES. It usually interferes when flashing with ODIN. You must have the USB drivers from your phone, so don't uninstall them. Only uninstall the program KIES.
    Just in case you don't have them, here are the Samsung USB drivers

3) Download ODIN v3.07, the tool that we'll use to flash all the things into our loved Galaxy Note 2 N7100!

4) Download the necessary files : the Recovery Package/ROM and the bootloader will be included in the very package. Android 4.1.2, unbranded, XXDLJ2. When you recover the phone, just update it if you want a newer version!

5) You must have WinRAR to unRAR the Recovery Package and to unzip ODIN.
    You can also use 7zip if you'd like.

And that is it! Let's get down to business :)

If your GSII has the folowing symptoms :

• Bootloop
    • Stuck on GNII logo, but already removed the battery to try to fix it
    • Enters Download mode and Recovery mode

It means that you are soft bricked and is easy to solve.

But if your symptoms are the mentioned above, PLUS the symptoms below

• Doesn't flash
    • Bad flash in odin (FAIL after flashing, or the flashing suddenly stops)

Then it means that you have a bigger issue, such as the aforementioned NAND rw corruption.

It's time to open up ODIN and start reviving your phone!

First of all, let's just have a quick glance of how ODIN looks like, and where we should put the files :

0ooAumT.jpg

As the picture clearly shows, the green rectangle is where you can tick. Those 2 which are ticked must remain that way. And the red one is well... Where you SHOULDN'T touch :p

ONLY FLASH WITH RE-PARTITION TICKED AND A PIT FILE IF YOU ARE SURE
    THAT THE FLASH WILL SUCCEED.

Which means that you CANNOT have a damaged USB, corrupted drivers and such.

When recovering from a soft brick, it is recommended, not mandatory, to have Re-partition ticked with a .PIT file. So you must be extra careful when you are using a .PIT and Re-Partition. And obviously, the red box is the one where you can't and don't want to mess with ;)

But where are the files going, you say?

.PIT -> PIT
    BOOTLOADER -> BOOTLOADER (or PDA if flashed alone)
    CODE -> PDA
    MODEM -> PHONE
    CSC -> CSC

***If you have a 1 file .tar package, then flash it in PDA***​

There is only 1 way to recover a soft bricked phone. How to recover from a NAND corruption? We'll get on that later on ;)

Recovering a soft bricked phone

1) Grab the Recovery Package, and you'll see a bunch of .tar files. Take a look at the names. You'll see CODE, MODEM, CSC (and the .PIT). Put each one in its place (EXCEPT the .PIT, refer to the warning below).

2) Turn off your phone. Enter Download mode by presing Volume Down + Home + Power button.

3) Plug in your phone. It will show you, in a blue box in ODIN, ID:COMx (x being the number displayed, sometimes displays 7, sometimes displays 9)

Now here, take a breath

First try flashing WITHOUT the .PIT and re-partition. And only if it DOESN'T WORK OR FIX then you flash with the .PIT and Re-Partition ticked.

4) Once ready and done all your prayers, press Start. Wait patiently. It usually takes 5-10 minutes to flash.

Have you done everything correctly until now? Then...

Congratulations on recovering your phone!

You deserve some cake afterwards, and some rest :D

Now, if your problem is the NAND rw coruption, and wasn't fixed by the above fix, then follow these steps :

WARNING : FLASHING A BOOTLOADER IS DANGEROUS. FLASH WITH EXTREME CAUTION.

4) Open the zip you downloaded and find the Bootloader. Flash it as PDA or Bootloader in ODIN. Without ticking Re-Partition

5) Flash the recovery package, like in steps 1-4 (WITH the re-partition ticked and the .PIT file in place) and that will fix any of your issues :D

6) After you have recovered your phone, I advise you to have your phone completely up to date by browsing and downloading the firmware for your version through SamMobile!

I hope that this guide was helpful, and if it was, hit the thanks button! :)

Credits mainly go to as i9000, for his amazing collection of ROMS and files :)

This is to be used as educational information. I am not liable of any damage that may occur to your phone.
    Hi, here's a link to the recovery rom mentioned on first page for N7100 but in md5 form... Plus the pit file

Android - 4.1.2
    PDA - N7100XXDLL7
    CSC - MULTI XEF_N7100OXADLL4
    RADIO - N7100XXDLK7...

Hope it helps some of you, please hit thanks if it did..

Download here N7100 Recovery
    I was wondering where I can download the recovery package? I can not seem to find a link pointing in any directions. All the help would be great. I know my way round odin an stuff but, this new problem is an new playing field for me :p

Oh man, I derp'd on there! Apparently I didn't include the DL link :confused:

Will fix in a moment!

EDIT : Hmmm, the link was there all along, in the code at least... Now that was weird :confused:
    Thanks for that. Everytime I extract the files, I don't get anything for odin just a heap of img and bin files. Am i extracting them wrong?

You shouldn't extract them. You must put the .tar file in each box, CODE -> PDA, etc :)
    The USB jig forces Samsung phones into download mode.

I'm not sure what else to suggest other than having it re-flashed at a cell shop.