General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

dzesiu2002

Jan 18, 2016
Hello, as name thread tell i need a new smartphone because my contract end thats why i need your help to choose proper one best for gaming. I have dilemma beetwen HTC 10 and LG G6, thanks.

Note: Soon want flash custom rom and kernel also i dont like if device overheating so much.

Last edited:

SasoGO

Jul 5, 2017
San Antonio de Los Altos
Hello guys, mi Redmi 2 died after +2years with me, so here is what im looking for:
5 inch display
2-3 GB RAM
32 GB storage
My budget is about 120$ Max and my options are:
LeTV Leeco Le S3 X622 with Helio X20
Redmi 4A
HOMTOM HT50(Only if somebody here can confirm that it runs PokemonGO without lag).
I think the obvius choice must be Le S3 but i have seen to many reviews that says it has software problems, and also being a MTK means i wont see to many developing here on XDA.
The redmi 4A looks just fine to me.
The HOMTOM HT50 is something new for me, any coments on this one will be apreciated.
And of course, im open to any new suggestions!
No matter what phone i ended up buying, i will start saving money for a better 150-170$ phone, im just buying cheap for the emergency of having no phone since Redmi 2 died, and i know that any of this phones will look like a beast compared to my previous 1GB 1.2ghz quadcore device :)

JvaOneShotzXprX

Nov 22, 2015
Enfield
Hello guys, mi Redmi 2 died after +2years with me, so here is what im looking for:
5 inch display
2-3 GB RAM
32 GB storage
My budget is about 120$ Max and my options are:
LeTV Leeco Le S3 X622 with Helio X20
Redmi 4A
HOMTOM HT50(Only if somebody here can confirm that it runs PokemonGO without lag).
I think the obvius choice must be Le S3 but i have seen to many reviews that says it has software problems, and also being a MTK means i wont see to many developing here on XDA.
The redmi 4A looks just fine to me.
The HOMTOM HT50 is something new for me, any coments on this one will be apreciated.
And of course, im open to any new suggestions!
No matter what phone i ended up buying, i will start saving money for a better 150-170$ phone, im just buying cheap for the emergency of having no phone since Redmi 2 died, and i know that any of this phones will look like a beast compared to my previous 1GB 1.2ghz quadcore device :)

If you need a good development scene and are in the US, the Nextbit Robin is still a very capable device with strong development that satisfies all of those requirements. It's currently going for $129.99 brand new.

Wesley_NL

Nov 10, 2010
Rotterdam
Hello guys ,
i am looking for a new device and i hope someone can give me some advice,
it is kinda hard to choose lately since i have some requirements

1. I ike to stay rooted with magisk
2. I like to keep using dolby atmos and viper4android or beter
3. Oled or beter screen if it can show real black instead gray
4. Microsd not realy a requirement but handy to have , ive been using laptop hdd via otg with my current device
5. No bloat like samsung roms
6. Custom roms
7. More display than bezzel unlike sony
8. If possible build in stereo speakers, for if i don't want to use headphone
9. Not to expansive but up to date with latest hardware

I've checked serval brands like xaomi, one plus , samsung, lg, sony, but sofar none is what i realy like maby you guys know some brands or devices i havnt looked at that are closer than samsung to my wishes,

samsungs have nice models and witch more screen than bezzel the only problem is price and bloat rom and the weak glass that cracks out of nowhere

jellmoo

Oct 2, 2011
Hey all, I'm hoping to get a little advice on a new handset. What's the deal? Well, a few months ago I thought to myself "You know, you haven't had an iPhone in a while, it might be a good idea to try it again!" So I unloaded my Axon 7 and S7 edge, and bought an iPhone 7. Let's just say that this was a choice I regret. ;)

So I'm looking to get a little something, something to tide me over. My budget is about $700-800 CAD ($575-$660 USD). What I'd like to have is:

• Nice sized screen (5.5inches +)
  • No curved screen (drove me nuts on my S7 edge)
  • Fingerprint scanner in a good location (no S8 placement)
  • Good battery life (standby is important)
  • Camera should be "decent" (speed is more important than perfect accuracy)
  • Good and smooth performance
  • Option for large internal storage (128GB)

While I'm absolutely open to other ideas, my thoughts have gravitated towards the OnePlus 5 or the Huawei Mate 9. Both of these devices speak to me for different reasons. What I like about each:

OnePlus 5
  • I like close to stock Android
  • Great performance
  • Do not disturb key
  • Dash charging seems great
  • OLED screen

Mate 9
  • Love the size and that big screen
  • Camera looks great
  • I slightly prefer a back mounted FPS
  • Giant battery looks sweet

So any thoughts about either device (real world experience would be great!) or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Hey all, I'm hoping to get a little advice on a new handset. What's the deal? Well, a few months ago I thought to myself "You know, you haven't had an iPhone in a while, it might be a good idea to try it again!" So I unloaded my Axon 7 and S7 edge, and bought an iPhone 7. Let's just say that this was a choice I regret. ;)

So I'm looking to get a little something, something to tide me over. My budget is about $700-800 CAD ($575-$660 USD). What I'd like to have is:

Nice sized screen (5.5inches +)
No curved screen (drove me nuts on my S7 edge)
Fingerprint scanner in a good location (no S8 placement)
Good battery life (standby is important)
Camera should be "decent" (speed is more important than perfect accuracy)
Good and smooth performance
Option for large internal storage (128GB)

While I'm absolutely open to other ideas, my thoughts have gravitated towards the OnePlus 5 or the Huawei Mate 9. Both of these devices speak to me for different reasons. What I like about each:

OnePlus 5
I like close to stock Android
Great performance
Do not disturb key
Dash charging seems great
OLED screen

Mate 9
Love the size and that big screen
Camera looks great
I slightly prefer a back mounted FPS
Giant battery looks sweet

So any thoughts about either device (real world experience would be great!) or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would go with the OnePlus 5. I went from an s6 to an s8 which I really liked, but I tried to port my phone number to freedom mobile which didn't work. Long story short i needed dual sims so I could keep my original phone number but get my 9gb of data through freedom mobile. The op5 was the obvious solution for me because of the dual sims. I sold the s8 and bought a brand new op5. It shipped from OnePlus in less than a week.

So far I have no complaints. The only things I miss are the waterproofing, expandable storage, and the nice size of the s8. However the curved glass made it tricky watching videos in bed cause I'd touch the edge and fast forward it. The camera seems great on the op5 even after using the s8. I assume it's not as good but it's not night and day difference. The OnePlus is definitely faster than the s8 and even does a better job of switching between the home and away zones on freedoms network even though it's not a supported phone.

Any other questions just ask me.

Reactions: jellmoo

jellmoo

Oct 2, 2011
I would go with the OnePlus 5. I went from an s6 to an s8 which I really liked, but I tried to port my phone number to freedom mobile which didn't work. Long story short i needed dual sims so I could keep my original phone number but get my 9gb of data through freedom mobile. The op5 was the obvious solution for me because of the dual sims. I sold the s8 and bought a brand new op5. It shipped from OnePlus in less than a week.

So far I have no complaints. The only things I miss are the waterproofing, expandable storage, and the nice size of the s8. However the curved glass made it tricky watching videos in bed cause I'd touch the edge and fast forward it. The camera seems great on the op5 even after using the s8. I assume it's not as good but it's not night and day difference. The OnePlus is definitely faster than the s8 and even does a better job of switching between the home and away zones on freedoms network even though it's not a supported phone.

Any other questions just ask me.

Thanks for the reply! Right now, I'm leaning maybe 60/40 in favour of the OnePlus 5. I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with the camera, since most reviews seem to say it's "decent". Also, the dual SIM nature of each device is a huge plus for me, as I can consolidate my work and personal lines into a single device.

I realize that I neglected to mention my perceived Cons for each device:

OnePlus 5
  • Quality Control (Jelly scroll, 911 issues, etc...)
  • Aftermarket suppor (I've seen CS horror stories with OnePlus)

Mate 9
  • EMUI Software (It looks like it's gotten better, but I've never been a fan of heavy skins)
  • Software Updates (I'm not sure how regularly Huawei issues security updates)

comfortable

Jan 9, 2013
I'm looking for cheap (budget) Chinese tablet recommendations for $130 USD or under (delivered).

basic requirements
* MicroSD
* 7 or 8 inch IPS screen (720p minimum)
* USB On-The-Go (OTG)
* rootable
* English firmware
* autofocus rear camera (any resolution)
* reliable (no silly problems with battery, screen, firmware, etc.).

Any suggestions?

9overflow

Jan 5, 2011
Hello.

I'm looking for a smartphone (under $200)

requirements:
European Firmware (Italian Language)
High battery Life (i've seen Xiaomi Redmi 4)
3gb Ram
LTE 800MHz
rootable

Thank you

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply! Right now, I'm leaning maybe 60/40 in favour of the OnePlus 5. I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with the camera, since most reviews seem to say it's "decent". Also, the dual SIM nature of each device is a huge plus for me, as I can consolidate my work and personal lines into a single device.

I realize that I neglected to mention my perceived Cons for each device:

OnePlus 5
Quality Control (Jelly scroll, 911 issues, etc...)
Aftermarket suppor (I've seen CS horror stories with OnePlus)

Mate 9
EMUI Software (It looks like it's gotten better, but I've never been a fan of heavy skins)
Software Updates (I'm not sure how regularly Huawei issues security updates)

Oh yeah, the jelly scrolling...if I look very closely and try to see it then yes I can see what they're talking about but I personally can't imagine it bothering me. I know some people are OCD and get bothered by certain things but for me I can't even see how it's an issue.

I've had no quality control issues so far. I did have a used oneplus one a while back that I sold for no good reason. It had no issues either. So that made me a little more confident I guess. The shipping was very fast and I was updated constantly until it arrived well packaged.

CM Wave

Aug 12, 2010
Hello, everyone.

I'm looking to replace my Nexus 7. I have some basic requirements:

- 8" IPS screen with a 16:10 or 4:3 ratio.
- 1280x800 or higher.
- 2GB of RAM or higher.
- 16GB of storage or higher.
- Good community support for roms/kernels/rooting or stock Android.
- $200 Canadian or lower.
- New is preferable but I don't mind buying refurbished if it's in good condition.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fobos531

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 6, 2014
/home/
Budget: any
Carrier: bonbon (subsidiary of T-Mobile Croatia), but it will be bought off-contract, probably on amazon.de
Current phone: Moto G 2013
Max screen size: 5 inch maximum
Do you need good community support (custom roms, XDA etc): N/A
Any important features you need? (great battery, camera etc) :at least 3GB RAM, stock Android

RogerF81

Oct 14, 2015
Stuttgart
Xiaomi Poco F3
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Budget: any
Carrier: bonbon (subsidiary of T-Mobile Croatia), but it will be bought off-contract, probably on amazon.de
Current phone: Moto G 2013
Max screen size: 5 inch maximum
Do you need good community support (custom roms, XDA etc): N/A
Any important features you need? (great battery, camera etc) :at least 3GB RAM, stock Android

HTC 10.
Moto G5 Plus

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
I am thinking of picking up a new(to me/likely used device) over the weekend. I will most likely be starting service with MetroPCS but Straight Talk is a possibility as it has proven reputable and reliable for my needs. Since there is a possibility of changing carriers, a device that can easily be carrier unlocked from the factory, for free, or for cheap is a must. I currently have an LG G3(D851) so the specs are as follows:

5.5 inch IPS LCD display
3 GB RAM
32 GB storage
Removable Battery
SD Card capability
3000 mah battery

My new device needs to preferably exceed those specs. Removable battery and SD card cable is a must. Camera doesn't have to be spectacular but descent. My budget ideal budget would be $150 up to $200 USD.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Anyone?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

CM Wave

Aug 12, 2010
Hello, everyone.

I'm looking to replace my Nexus 7. I have some basic requirements:

- 8" IPS screen with a 16:10 or 4:3 ratio.
- 1280x800 or higher.
- 2GB of RAM or higher.
- 16GB of storage or higher.
- Good community support for roms/kernels/rooting or stock Android.
- $200 Canadian or lower.
- New is preferable but I don't mind buying refurbished if it's in good condition.

Thanks!

Anyone? I know the Android tablet market sucks right now but there must be something out there that meets my needs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)