[ROOT] [GUIDE] Root Moto G4 (Plus) with SuperSU on Android 7.0 (NPJ25.93-14)

Search This thread

slicnic911

Apr 10, 2012
I can confirm that this process also works on the XT 1640! Thank you all so much for the walkthrough and great info in this thread. Traded my wife's old iphone for this phone and am very glad I could get it rooted.

As mentioned in other comments, flash kernel BEFORE supersu. :) And of course, do that backup in TWRP as well! It saved me a lot of time going back after flashing supersu first...

ChuyitoSr

May 25, 2013
Hello, I have new XT1644 running 93-14.5. I was able to unlock the bootloader (took much longer than usual) using minimal adb fastboot. I've tried installing twrp and can't get it to install on fastboot. I keep getting a twrp failed to load line on fastboot. I've installed the latest Motorola drivers and read several tutorials on this subject. I've also tried mfastboot and also a no go. I placed the twrp img in the minimal adb fastboot directory and nothing works. Any help guys?

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Hello, I have new XT1644 running 93-14.5. I was able to unlock the bootloader (took much longer than usual) using minimal adb fastboot. I've tried installing twrp and can't get it to install on fastboot. I keep getting a twrp failed to load line on fastboot. I've installed the latest Motorola drivers and read several tutorials on this subject. I've also tried mfastboot and also a no go. I placed the twrp img in the minimal adb fastboot directory and nothing works. Any help guys?

So you've unlocked your bootloader by requesting the unlock code from Motorola and entered it into your device (as described here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=67031801&postcount=2 )?

Which TWRP image are you using and what command are you using to flash TWRP? Are you able to confirm your device is communicating to your computer? You can check this by:
Connecting your device to your computer
Open an ADB terminal
Type 'fastboot devices' without quotes. That should return your device serial number.

ChuyitoSr

May 25, 2013
So you've unlocked your bootloader by requesting the unlock code from Motorola and entered it into your device (as described here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=67031801&postcount=2 )?

Which TWRP image are you using and what command are you using to flash TWRP? Are you able to confirm your device is communicating to your computer? You can check this by:
Connecting your device to your computer
Open an ADB terminal
Type 'fastboot devices' without quotes. That should return your device serial number.

Yes, I unlocked the bootloader using Motorola code.
This what I get when I try to flash twrp(latest update from twrp website).

Attachments

• IMG_20170913_155043.jpg
    IMG_20170913_155043.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 110

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Yes, I unlocked the bootloader using Motorola code.
This what I get when I try to flash twrp(latest update from twrp website).

That's not the latest update of TWRP (3.1.1 is the latest). Are there any more outputs from that command?
Shouldn't matter with the .exe but the command is 'fastboot flash recovery <name of your TWRP image in your adb folder>' without the quotes. Are you using minimal adb 1.4.2 or greater?

You've confirmed your device is properly communicating with 'fastboot devices' as I mentioned above? Does TWRP even flash with 'Image not signed or corrupted' or does the process just stall at that output?

You may wish to attempt flashing shreps' TWRP in fastboot: https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4-plus/development/recovery-twrp-3-0-2-r3-moto-g4-g4-plus-t3494337

Last edited:

ChuyitoSr

May 25, 2013
That's not the latest update of TWRP (3.1.1 is the latest). Are there any more outputs from that command?
Shouldn't matter with the .exe but the command is 'fastboot flash recovery <name of your TWRP image in your adb folder>' without the quotes. Are you using minimal adb 1.4.2 or greater?

You've confirmed your device is properly communicating with 'fastboot devices' as I mentioned above? Does TWRP even flash with 'Image not signed or corrupted' or does the process just stall at that output?

You may wish to attempt flashing shreps' TWRP in fastboot: https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4-plus/development/recovery-twrp-3-0-2-r3-moto-g4-g4-plus-t3494337

This is what I get when I try to flash twrp.

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
This is what I get when I try to flash twrp.

In both cases, it looks like fastboot isn't finding the TWRP image to flash.

1)You've spelt athene wrong in the 1st attempt to flash (needs the exact file name).

2)Unless you've renamed the TWRP image to twrp.img, then fastboot cannot find the TWRP image.

As strongst has mentioned, confirm that the TWRP image is copied to your minimal adb folder and is on the same folder level as your adb and fastboot executables. When typing the filename, double check the file name you've entered is exactly the same as that in your minimal adb folder. You can use the tab key on your keyboard to autocomplete the filename if you so wish. Check the included screenshot, where I'm demonstrating with shreps' TWRP, this is with minimal adb 1.4.2 on NPJS25.93-14-8, which I was able to flash successfully previously.

I've seen reports that TWRP is flashable on NPJ25.93-14-5 (June 2017 update for US devices), so I'm not sure what's happening... You're getting the unlocked bootloader warning and on your bootloader screen, you're seeing OEM_unlocked?

Attachments

• TWRP.jpg
    TWRP.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

ChuyitoSr

May 25, 2013
Still no luck flashing twrp recovery. I checked oem bootloader unlocking and usb debugging. Placed the twrp.img in minimal/adb fastboot directory and still no luck. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it?

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 103

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze
Still no luck flashing twrp recovery. I checked oem bootloader unlocking and usb debugging. Placed the twrp.img in minimal/adb fastboot directory and still no luck. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it?
This Warning message comes along after unlocking the bootloader, so no worries about that, everyone who unlocks the bootloader see this.

But really, I have no clue why twrp won't install on your device... Have you tried another twrp version or re-download again?

ChuyitoSr

May 25, 2013
Yes, I've tried 3 different versions. I blame myself for accepting the software updates when I first got the phone last week. It was still running MM and I'm sure that would have been a breeze to flash twrp and root. I'm getting pretty desperate, considering paying $39.95 for oneclickroot to take care if this issue. I had the MXPE prior to this phone and had no issues flashing via fastboot :(

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Yes, I've tried 3 different versions. I blame myself for accepting the software updates when I first got the phone last week. It was still running MM and I'm sure that would have been a breeze to flash twrp and root. I'm getting pretty desperate, considering paying $39.95 for oneclickroot to take care if this issue. I had the MXPE prior to this phone and had no issues flashing via fastboot :(

Be aware that rooting on Moto G4 devices running stock Nougat require flashing a custom kernel, if oneclickroot or yourself do not flash a custom kernel before rooting, you'll trip the anti-rooting protections built into the stock kernel, meaning you'll likely have to re-flash the stock ROM to get your device working again.

Can we see a screenshot of your minimal adb/fastboot folder please and the commands you're using to flash again?

Failing that, I'm wondering if a re-flash of the stock NPJ25.93-14.5 June 2017 ROM might be worth trying...

ChuyitoSr

May 25, 2013
I finally figured it out. First, thanks to echo92 and strongst for all the help. Basically, after watching a YouTube video about common fastboot command mistakes I figured out I was renaming the file "twrp.img" and after right clicking on twrp- properties/details it was stating twrp.img.img. I simply renamed twrp.img to "twrp" then flashed as twrp.img and it worked. I'm rooted and good to go.

Reactions: strongst

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze
I finally figured it out. First, thanks to echo92 and strongst for all the help. Basically, after watching a YouTube video about common fastboot command mistakes I figured out I was renaming the file "twrp.img" and after right clicking on twrp- properties/details it was stating twrp.img.img. I simply renamed twrp.img to "twrp" then flashed as twrp.img and it worked. I'm rooted and good to go.
That's why everybody should enable the full file name extension be displayed within windows explorer. Otherwise you don't see what file you have :good:

Good to hear that you solved the problem, others can profit from that information :good:

lpen2146

Oct 11, 2016
Has anyone tried to root with one click root? If so was it successfully done? I saw someone mention it in earlier post and in their advertising looks way too good to be true.

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Has anyone tried to root with one click root? If so was it successfully done? I saw someone mention it in earlier post and in their advertising looks way too good to be true.

Just had a quick look at it and looks like you'd have to use their remote support service to help you root - this is testing on a Moto G4 Plus (XT1642) running NPJS25.93-14-8, June 2017 stock ROM, though I'm rooted already with magisk 13.3.

You may be better off following this guide. I have the feeling they'd use the same steps (flash/boot TWRP, backup, then flash ElementalX, then flash either SuperSU/magisk).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are the steps to root the Moto G4 (Plus) on Android 7.0 with SuperSU.

1. Unlock your bootloader with the Code you can receive from Motorola. Further instructions: unlocking bootloader. You have to create a Motorola account first.
    2. Flash TWRP 3.0.2.0 through bootloader. Download and how-to-flash: twrp athene
    3. Backup partitons in TWRP (especially the boot-partition)
    4. Flash Kernel ElementalX through TWRP. Download and further information: ElementalX
    5. Wipe Cache and ART-Cache through TWRP (don't know if necessary but doesn't harm)
    6. Flash SuperSU v2.79 SR3 through TWRP. Download SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip: SuperSUv2.79SR3.
    SuperSU v2.79 SR3 (or newer) will flash as systemless by default on Motorola devices running Android 6+. Older versions of SuperSU won't do that without creating a config file .supersu in /data containing the line
    Code:
    SYSTEMLESS=true
    So the best is to make sure you don't use an older version of SuperSU than 2.79 SR3!

That's it and it works. SuperSU.apk is going to be installed in step 6.

Successfully tested with XT1642, XT1622 (eta82), XT1643 (Adarsh balu), XT1644 (WTF?), XT1641 (EkisDeMX).
    It's the same old guide man. Please see before posting if similar threads exist. XDA is getting confusing for the common non-techie person anyways.
    Hello there.
    I am thinking of rooting my Moto G4 Plus v7.0 (XT1643)
    Android security patch level - 1 June 2017
    Build No. NPJS25.93-14-8

Is this method going to work?
    Yes this method is exactly for this device and build you mentioned. See post from echo92 above yours too :)
    That's why everybody should enable the full file name extension be displayed within windows explorer. Otherwise you don't see what file you have :good:

Good to hear that you solved the problem, others can profit from that information :good:
    Does it work with XT1643 Indian variant ? Please do let me know .

Yes it does work. It is the only way to root stock N on any of the models.