Samsung XCover3 Development Thread [4.4.4/5.1.1/6.0.1] [Root, TWRP, Mods and ROMS]

What do you want next for the xCover3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

IXgnas

Dec 11, 2011
Thanks for your quick response. I saw your instruction to build AOSP, and failed to build the libpcre, migith be automake version issue, my OS is ubuntu 16.04 with automake-1.15, looks like need a lower version 1.14, is it true?
I'll PM you the invite to our Discord IRC. We'll discuss things there.

Tomdroid77

Jul 22, 2017
Unable to switch wifi on

Hi,
Have had a SM-G389F for just over a year and have been following this thread. Succesfully rooted my phone and also used Dev's kernel. All was going well till a week ago when I was suddenly unable to get the wifi to switch on. Have put stock firmware back on, tried deleting cache, tried everything including smacking the back of the phone as suggested in many forums. No success. Any ideas?

IXgnas

Dec 11, 2011
Hi,
Have had a SM-G389F for just over a year and have been following this thread. Succesfully rooted my phone and also used Dev's kernel. All was going well till a week ago when I was suddenly unable to get the wifi to switch on. Have put stock firmware back on, tried deleting cache, tried everything including smacking the back of the phone as suggested in many forums. No success. Any ideas?

It's quite possible that your chipset's gone bust.

thra1982

Jun 22, 2012
Svendborg
Hi.

I've got the G389F and loaded TWRP on it.

Is the MyKernel flashable via TWRP or is Odin needed?
And for Xposed, 32bit or 64bit?

Thanks for the good work!

I know, rule number one no ETA's, but how is the custom ROM coming along? :eek:

IXgnas

Dec 11, 2011
Hi.

And for Xposed, 32bit or 64bit?

Thanks for the good work!

I know, rule number one no ETA's, but how is the custom ROM coming along? :eek:
Can't help you with XC3VE, but I can tell you that we slowly make our way to the proper compilation of the ROM. ETA: unknown ;).

Reactions: thra1982

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Hi.

And for Xposed, 32bit or 64bit?...
If I read the following two posts by @Devhost97 correctly, a TWRP-flashable zip is available:
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70815895&postcount=13
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71338483&postcount=14

I don't own (yet) a G389F therefore unable to check myself, but when you to Settings => "About the phone", the telephone status contains a row called "CPU" and below its architecture.
armeabi & armeabi-v7a are 32-bit, arm64-v8 is 64-bit.
(https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/application_fundamentals/cpu_architectures/)

thra1982

Jun 22, 2012
Svendborg
If I read the following two posts by @Devhost97 correctly, a TWRP-flashable zip is available:

I don't own (yet) a G389F therefore unable to check myself, but when you to Settings => "About the phone", the telephone status contains a row called "CPU" and below its architecture.
(https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/application_fundamentals/cpu_architectures/)

Regarding the kernel, that would be my assumption too. But the zip doesn't contain any scripts, therefore my doubt. :confused:

Thanks.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Regarding the kernel, that would be my assumption too. But the zip doesn't contain any scripts, therefore my doubt. :confused:

Thanks.
The MyKernel1.2_r22.zip contains a .tar-file that again contains a boot.img
I don't know if it's sufficient as I'm obviously unable to try it (and I'd personally be quite suspicious) but I know you can flash .img-files through TWRP.

Last edited:

IXgnas

Dec 11, 2011
Discontinuation

After a short discussion with @Matt07211 we are sad to announce that our efforts to port newer Android versions to this device are officially discontinued due to the lack of free time, not making any progress for a long period of time and devices' SoC having virtually no support or significance. I might still play around with porting (very improbable), but otherwise this project is pretty much dead. We're sorry :(.

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
After a short discussion with @Matt07211 we are sad to announce that our efforts to port newer Android versions to this device are officially discontinued due to the lack of free time, not making any progress for a long period of time and devices' SoC having virtually no support or significance. I might still play around with porting (very improbable), but otherwise this project is pretty much dead. We're sorry :(.
Just to add onto this, I'll be cleaning up my this thread (My posts), making it more concise and to the point, and making it less confusing.

I'll also compile all the info of this device into a single place for anyone else interested :) All my sources are already online but I'll link it here.
Anyway there will be enough info and source code available, that once you ready what I've written you should just be able to pick up where I left off and continue if you so desire.

Expect to see these changes in a few days. I may push a few code changes, to fix the bugs that I have a decent idea on fixing, but don't expect anything.

I sadly never got to a finished compile, all the errors I encountered where so obscure that there wasn't any/much info on them.

I feel sad that I didn't finish but I have a lot less free time then when I started, and the task just started to get away from me.

SM-G389F - Samsung Exynos chipset, fully 32-bit

SM-G388F - Marvell PXA1903 chipset, chip but is 64 bit, but running a 32-Bit instruction set, you can verify this by running the "File" command on a system file/library as well as running "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
Code:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv8 Processor rev 2 (v8l)
processor       : 0
processor       : 1
processor       : 2
processor       : 3
Features        : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32  half thumb fastmult edsp tls vfp vfpv3 vfpv4 neon idiva idivt
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd03
CPU revision    : 2

Hardware        : PXA1908
Revision        : 0007
$

And to be honest this tripped me up when trying to root the device as I was trying to use 64-But files when I really should have used 32-bit versions. This also increased the complexity of ROM compiling (You should see way in a few days once I've written up all the info)

Edit: Sorry for not checking this thread and keeping it updated, I just haven't been in XDA in a long time

Last edited:

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
I know I haven't delivered on the ufno I promised in my last post, mainly because my computer's been playing up on me, and losing what ever I was typing out when ever it freezes and requires a hard boot is very discouraging.

That being said, I'll be updating to the newest offical exposed since it should work with TouchWiz devices properly now, yay!

pgunning1

Apr 27, 2007
Hi everyone great thread this for a good phone, I've got TWRP installed ok and boot to it ok but when I flash SU I get and error as not verified :rolleyes: is this the google software preventing SU install or just incompatible SU Ive used the following to no avail...

SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip
SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip
BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip

Feel I'm nearly there but just cant get SU installed using TWRP install, interestingly I tried to not reboot after TWRP fresh install but it wont let me comes up with not seandroid enforcing :p after reboot into system it'll allow into TWRP.

Any help get root would be much appreciated, just want to get rid of the junk samsung apps that are so memory hungry on this lovely little phone.

ATB

pgunning1

Apr 27, 2007
Hi I am really struggling with the SU install I keep getting signature failed with SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip the SU file is off the link at the start stating download from the SU link, is there an proper file thats compatible with the G388F on Lollipop 5.1.1. Didnt think this bit would be so tricky.

Any help appreciated.

ATB

akuhak

Oct 2, 2016
Hi I am really struggling with the SU install I keep getting signature failed with SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip the SU file is off the link at the start stating download from the SU link, is there an proper file thats compatible with the G388F on Lollipop 5.1.1. Didnt think this bit would be so tricky.

Any help appreciated.

ATB

SuperSu and Magisk isn't compatible with Marvell PXA devices. The only way to get rooted - it is by using rooted kernel.

For example you can use mine kernel:
https://github.com/AKuHAK/xcover3ltexx_custom_kernel/releases

pgunning1

Apr 27, 2007
Ok thats fantastic, but does it matter if its for the LTE as mine is the normal Xcover3 G388F. If compatible I assume I flash with Odin or through TWRP, if by Odin are there any parameters like reboot only ect. if doing so.

Thank you for your advise it is much appreciated

akuhak

Oct 2, 2016
Ok thats fantastic, but does it matter if its for the LTE as mine is the normal Xcover3 G388F. If compatible I assume I flash with Odin or through TWRP, if by Odin are there any parameters like reboot only ect. if doing so.

Thank you for your advise it is much appreciated

Its for old G388F. It is not compatible with VE and anyway SuperSu can be easily installed in value edition so I assume you have G388F. Just flash over odin: no wipes needed, all settings remain default :)

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015

Any help appreciated.

ATB
You can't flash SuperSU for the SM-G388F as it's unable to unpack the boot.img (I have requested support and all but Chainfire never got back). So you will have to make do with the provided boot.img I made where I setup all the stuff necessary by hand. Follow the instructions in the first page, look at the lollipop root section, it'll have all the instructs and files needed

Edit: @akuhak Does your custom Kernel drain the battery? Any compiled kernel I've made in the past bhas crazy battery drain, I think it's in relation to DVFS.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Preface: I'm currently using this device and really like it, and as you all may have realised, that this device is considered as a low activity device on XDA, and no developers that I know of have taken a crack at this phone. This thread is to consolidate all information pertaining to the device.
    If some area are empty, they will have more content in the future as we progress with this awesome device.

Feel free to post any mods that have worked (preferably in systemless mode)

Table of Contents:
    Post 1) Rooting, TWRP and useful Links
    Post 2) Info for Developers
    Post 3) Roms & Mods
    Post 4) Reserved

Useful Links:
    My Github (Matt07211) containing kernel source code, to keep with the GPL licenses.
    Samsung Kernel Source Code 4.4.4/5.1.1 and 6.0.1
    Firmware Samsung xCover 3 and Samsung xCover 3 Value Edition
    TWRP for Samsung xCover3 (Kit Kat)
    TWRP for Samsung xCover3 Value Edition Credits: @Heledir for the link
    SuperSU

Prerequisites:
    ADB Installed
    USB Debugging Enabled
    Samsung USB Drivers Installed
    Samsung ODIN (Preferably Odin3_v3.10.7 or above)
    A Brain that can use common sense, or Google

Disclaimer:
    Anything you do with your own phone is done at your own risk. Don't complain if you accidentally brick your phone. Fix it by using Google, flash back stock firmware or post on XDA for help.
    Knox will probably be voided, and so will your warranty.
    We cannot say what works for us, may or may not work for you.
    Good luck :)

Using ODIN:
    1) Enable USB Debugging, and OEM Unlock (If available), these can be reached from the developer menu. The develpoer menu can be activated by taping "Build Number" 7 times in the about section.
    Don't disable OEM Unlock (Ever) once modifing your phone, because FRP (Factoy Reset Protection) will be activated, and then you will be forced into reinstalling stock firmware, aalnd losing all your data in the process.
    2) Turn phone off, boot into download mode (Power + Volume Down + Home) and then press Volume Up to use download mode when greeted with a yellow warning.
    3) Launch ODIN, and plug phone into Computer. You should see some text like this "ID:COM" in blue.
    4) Click the AP button (If it says PDA then you have an older version of ODIN, and are recommended to use a newer version) and Select the file that will be flashed. E.g. TWRP or a Boot.img. Making sure the only options ticked are "F.Reset Time" and "Auto-Reboot". If you are flashing a recovery (E.g. TWRP) then make sure "Auto-Reboot" is unticked, and when ODIN says successful flash then you'll have to then reboot the phone your self(Either by holding any combination of Volume Keys (Any one) + Power + Home or Removing the Battery and Placing back in) and reboot straight into recovery (at least once, else the stock recovery will replace TWRP on a normal boot bu a script called "install-recovery.sh").
    5) If "Auto-Reboot is ticked, then the phone will automatically reboot once flashing has been completed.

Root:

SM-G388f:
    KitKat:
    1) Enable USB Debugging
    2) Download the Newest TWRP from the above TWRP Link (the one marked with KitKat), making sure you download the file with the .img.tar extension.
    3) Download the Newest SuperSu and place on the internal phone memory.
    4) Flash the downloaded TWRP file, make sure "Auto-Reboot" is unticked (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed). Click Start
    5) Once flashed, reboot into recovery (Power + Volume Up + Home) straight away and Flash SuperSu.zip via the Flash Zip section.
    Congrats you got root on KitKat

Lollipop:
    Installation:
    1) Make sure you have the prerequisites installed, and "xcover3-lollipop-root.zip"
    unzipped. Then type
    Code:
    adb devices
    to make sure adb recognises the phone and that its authorized.

2) Type (or copy) exaclty as below. *Please be paitent, as the first command
    takes about 20 seconds to complete.
    Code:
    adb push su.img /data/local/tmp
    adb install Superuser.apk
    3) Once thats completed, turn off the device and then boot into download
    mode (Volume Down + Home + Power).

4) Open the ODIN program, click "AP" then navigate to the "boot.tar.md5"
    file that is in the "xcover3-lollipop-root: folder, then click open/okay.
    Click start to flash.

5) The phone should auto-reboot. Once its fully booted, reboot once more
    (perferabbly twice), this is to allow the script placed in the ramdisk to
    move the su.img to /data.

6) Profit? Yay you've now got root. You can go and test it out by downloading
    terminal emulator and typing "su", you then should be prompted to grant root
    permissions to the app. Once granted, the "$" symbol will change to "#" to
    signify root.

Thanks to:
    @akuhak Thanks for build the custom tools necessary to modify the boot.img

@proguru Thanks for compiling a custom kernel for me, (for testing purposes) allowing me to test various things.

@kniederberger Thanks for providing the boot.img and su.img from the Value edition of the phone, allowing me to base my work around what was done on the value editon.

SM-G389f:
    Marshmallow:
    *Verified by @Heledir and @kniederberger

A user has uploaded a YouTube video HERE in case anyone wants a video tutorial.

1) Enable "OEM UNLOCK" and "USB Debugging" in developer settings (This can be found by tapping build number 7 times, then developer mode will be activated) then procedded to Flash TWRP.
    2) Flash the Value Edition version of TWRP, Link at the top of this thread, making sure it has ".img.tar" extension (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed).
    3) Flash SuperSu.zip inside of TWRP via the Flash Zip section

Update to Newer Firmware while rooted:
    Note: You'll lose root (re-root via relevant method) and modifications done to /system, but you're Apps and Data (/data and internal storage) will remain untouched.
    0)Although you won't lose any apps/data, it's always recommended to make a backup. Perferrable a Nandroid backup or the backup of apps and data via the means of Titanium Backup and such.
    1) Download Newest firmware matching the phones region and carrier (basically if the phone is from one country, dont download the firmware intended for a different country. Links at top of OP/Thread.
    2) Out phone into download more, launch Odin and Flash the firmware package Downloaded. (Refer to the Using Odin section as needed.)
    3) Give it some time for the inital reboot, and allow it to get setup and booted.
    Optional) Re-root via relevant methods.

Un-root Samsung XCover 3 Devices:
    1) Click un-root from SuperSu APP
    *5.1.1 and 6.0.1: Flash Stock boot.img (Found in stock firmware) (Will post a Link for stock boot.tar.md5 soon, or read on in the next post to figure out how to create your own boot.tar.md5 file)

TWRP:
    KitKat: Working
    Lollipop: Not Working (I'm looking into it) The is a hacked together version of TWRP HERE, in case people want to flash files. I wouldn't recommend it for anything else other then flashing, as i would perfer to build a proper working TWRP for lollipop.
    Note: You'll have to hold, Volume Up + Home + Power buttons straightafter flashing from Odin, keep hold of the key combo untill you see the TWRP logo (2 reboots).
    Marshmallow: Working

Flash Stock Firmware:
    1) Download the stock firmware from above links, making sure the version and region matches your phone
    2) As with the other steps, boot into download mode and connect it to Odin, click the AP button and click on the stock firmware. Then Click Start. (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed)
    3) Give it some time after flashing (Max 10mins) to boot and setup for the first time, if it doesn't after a long time, re-flash the stock firmware again.

FAQ:
    - Where is a ROM/Custom Kernel/ TWRP(for lollipop) for our devices? I currently can't provide/make these due to internet limitations, and no access to a 64 bit computer(of course these may change for me in the future). Feel free to build and provide these, and they can get linked to one of the opening pots for easy access.
    - What is this thread? It aims to bring all the current work being done on this device into a single thread, so its easily accessible for everyone
    - XYZ App doesn't detect root (systemless root)? These apps haven't been updated to work with systemless root, and therefor require SuperSu compatibility mode to be enabled to work with systemless root. Refer to the Troubleshooting section below to fix.
    - My Device is sluggish/slow at each boot, how can I fix this? I have noticed that certain apps when used, E.g. CF.Lumen, Livebootetc. require patching the sepolicy at each boot, and this is a memory intensive task. This may not be the only cause for sluggishness, other things can include alot of apps checking for notifcations by pinging their servers, or alot of apps auto starting at boot. There are two different ways about fixing this, one, uninstall offending apps (or disbale their automatic launch), or two, live with it, just wait a couple of minutes after booting before unlocking and using the phone, becuse by then their tasks should be done and android should have cleared up some RAM.
    - I keeping getting notifications that my device is unsafe/had unautorized actions have taken place, how to stop this notification/warning? Refer to the Troubleshooting section below to fix.

Troubleshooting:
    - XYZ App doesn't detect root (systemless root):
    For Value Edition (Android 6.0.1):
    1) Type "(or paste)
    Code:
    echo "BINDSYSTEMXBIN=TRUE" >> /data/.supersu[/CODE
    2) Reflash the latest SuperSu.zip via TWRP][/INDENT]
    [INDENT][B]For the Normal/Original xCover 3[/B] [I](Android 5.1.1., using my root method)[/I]:
    Note: This fix is for the root developed by me, once/if we get a working TWRP for lollipop, then the above instructions should suffice. These 2 scripts creates and mounts a folder to xbin, allowing for apps that check for system root to work properly with systemless. Also daemonsu should mount the folder at boot automatically, but I was having problems with it, so that's why I have a second script to automatically mount the needed folder. Now to the instructions :)
    1) Download the "systemless-compatability-fix-lollipop.tar.gz" onto the device and unzip it
    2) Using a file explorer that works with systemless root, E.g. Solid Explorer, Copy and paste the 2 files inside the "/su/su.d" directory, making sure it's permissions is "0700" or "700", if the permissions are incorrect you can use the file explorer or terminal emulator and "chmod 0700" on both of the files, Refer to both of the files below for reference. 

[img]http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3948945&d=1480154633[/img] 

[img]http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3948946&d=1480154633[/img][/INDENT]
    Now all root apps should work  (I'm loooking at you Secure Settings and ES File Explorer Pro)
    - I keeping getting notifications that my device is unsafe/had unauthorized actions have taken place, how to stop this notification/warning:
    I haven't formmaly looked into the cause of this problem as of yet, but some users reported that disabling/removing "SecurityLogAgent" and/or "Smart Manager" Fixs the problem. This can be achieved using Titanium Backup (or similar apps).

[I][B]Planned Work:[/B][/I]
    [HIDE]
    - Do the next post write up on how to modify the boot.img (or other files) of the devices.
    - Get working TWRP on Lollipop
    - Get Magisk v9 working
    - Look it what is need to flash MM from the xCover 3 Value Edition devices onto the Normal xCover 3 Most users have. (Might be difficult, as they have different hardware)
    - Get some ROM creators onto this device [/HIDE]

Anything else?
    Ok here is working TWRP 2.8
    So now how I rooted my phone:
    0) Downloaded SuperSu zip installer and placed it into internal memory
    1) Reboot in Odin mode
    2) Install TWRP via AP button
    3) Reboot into recovery. Recovery will show red message with "Recovery is not seandroid enforcing" on boot, and will reboot twice until you see TWRP main window. Just ignore it :)
    4) Install SuperSu zip archive
    ----OFF-TOPIC----
    BTW at this point you still have not knoxed device. You can reboot phone and you still will be with knox 0x0. And BTW you can stop at this point and resume in any moment. I was at this stage for about a week until I move forward. Of course you will have no root at this moment :)
    ----/OFF-TOPIC----
    5) Reboot in odin mode
    6) Install boot.tar.md5 from xcover3-lollipop-root.zip
    7) You have root now ^^ maybe you will need to install supersu from playmarket but im not pretty sure that you need

And I want to share with you what I do with my rooted phone:
    1) installed Busybox from meefik
    2) installed XposedInstaller -> and XposedFramework of course
    3) Installed Wanam Xposed for Lollipop. Yeah its discontinued but still has many fun features.
    4) installed GoogleService Replacement. All apps are working fine except of youtube so i downloaded OG Youtube Xposed version
    5) installed LuckyPatcher and enabled function: integrate updates into /system partition.
    6) with LuckyPatcher I removed bunch of google applications that I dont need.
    7) Installed TitaniumBackup. With Titanium Backup I integrated all system application that was updated into /system
    8) Installed Kernel Adiutor and limited cpu for better battery (just for now)
    Just would like to give everyone here some early Christmas news :)

I've recently come to realize that I'm able to use Google Cloud/Microsoft Azure free trials. This will allow me to build some ROMS for the xCover3 (Normal Edition).
    So few the next week or so I'll be reading up a lot, setting up the github repository correctly (cause at the moment they are only partially up and unorganized), then around the begging of the new year I'll start commencing on ROM building.

Hopefully by then me and @Sonof8Bits can get TWRP compiled for the device (keeps throwing TW_THEME error when's itbalreadu be defined anyway, so if you got a fix Pease PM me), if we don't then that'll be the first thing to be done.

The Rom will be based of OMNI sources and be either Marshmallow or Nougat (depending on the device requirements), if anyone would like to aid in this endeavour please contact me.
    Note: I'm still planning to do the modded firmware ;)

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you will enjoy the idea of a custom Rom dimming your way in the near future.
    Guys keep your eye on this post. This post will be edited as I prwofess in developing the modded firmware.

Modded Firmware (Progress/Features):
    - I'm going for deodex over odex. Reasons are HERE and HERE . Basically allows for easier themeing and modification. And other then a slow first few (couple) of boots, boot time will be almost the same as odex (current on the phone).
    - To be added.
    @yy1 I belive I have found out why the phone won't boot when using the custom boot.img

I belive it has to do with the unpacking/repacking of the ramdisk.cpio.gz file. When ever I try to boot an image with a repacked ramdisk the phone won't boot.

I know that the phone can boot custom boot.img 's as I removed the word "SEANDORID" from the original and flashed it to my phone. My phone booted up, even when the red text (KERNEL IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING) was shown at the top of my phone.

So once I got it got it booting I will post back here.