Nexus 7 Help Thread

Search This thread

vital21

Hi guys,

i've recently purchased Nexus 7 2012 3G from unofficial source and wish to check the manufacturer date. As i know it could be analyzed with a serial number ( SSN ). Unfortunately i don't have an official box with this device...
I found a serial number in Settings/About/Status...but it is probably the serial number named CSSN, as it starts from 015d3********
As a result it cant be analyzed to get that date i'm looking for...

Is it possible to find a correct SSN without an original box? OR maybe there is another way to figure out manufacturer date?

Hope for your advice, community!

Cheers ;)

cptsashimi

Jan 1, 2013
Hi guys,

i've recently purchased Nexus 7 2012 3G from unofficial source and wish to check the manufacturer date. As i know it could be analyzed with a serial number ( SSN ). Unfortunately i don't have an official box with this device...
I found a serial number in Settings/About/Status...but it is probably the serial number named CSSN, as it starts from 015d3********
As a result it cant be analyzed to get that date i'm looking for...

Is it possible to find a correct SSN without an original box? OR maybe there is another way to figure out manufacturer date?

Hope for your advice, community!

Cheers ;)
Reboot into bootloader and you can toggle though the options with the volume key. I think one of the options is barcodes, that should give you what you're looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

vital21

Reboot into bootloader and you can toggle though the options with the volume key. I think one of the options is barcodes, that should give you what you're looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
thanks for your advice, but its not clear for me what do u mean?
I've rebooted to bootloader and see only these options - Continue boot to system,
boot to recovery and shutdown.
If its possible could you submit a screenshot or photo of your bootloader menu including this "barcodes" options

cheers[emoji6]

Sent from my E6883 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Merqyr

May 7, 2016
Toulouse
Hi everybody!

I have a Nexus 7 grouper, which I've upgraded to Cyanogenmod 12.1, and at first it was working great, but after a couple of days the UI started lagging, and now nothing is very smooth. I've checked RAM and CPU usage, and they're both fine.

Thanks in advance :D

CiaobyDany

Oct 22, 2016
Recovery bootloop?

I am new to the forum, I have read a lot of guides and rules and stuff like that and I know I shouldn't be posting, but with the search option, the only thing similar to my problem is this.
I flashed XenonHD build May 11 2014 and then my nightmare came.
My N7 2012 can't enter fastboot mode nor recovery nor anything just a bootloop on the recovery CWM but none letters on the recovery and start over again minute on the google screen and a minute on recovery :(

imgur /kjqsSPo.jpg
imgur /lIEzvMi.jpg
Which got no reply, probably because of lack of information, so I'll try to be as detailed as possible explaining my issue.

First of all, even though it's two years I'm installing custom ROMs for me and my friends, I'm not such an expert, all I ever did was reading guides and follow them step by step. I'm able to change ROM frequently, as long as I don't run into problems. Which is what happened.

So, I have the Nexus 7 2012 WiFi (grouper) since 2012. I kept stock firmware until one year ago, when Marshmallow got out and the devices didn't get an official update. After thinking on it a bit, I decided to install an unofficial version of CM13, following this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/development/rom-cyanogenmod-13-nexus-7-t3279938
I honestly don't remember which guide I used to install a recovery on my device, it was either one found here or probably the one posted on the Cyanogenmod site, since I distinctly recall it's name was Cyanogenmod recovery.
It all went smoothly and I enjoyed Marshmallow, until when Nougat came out and I found this.
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/orig-development/wip-linux-tegra-nv-3-4-bringup-t3128195
I decided I had to try it, since there were no other means for me to try the new OS (I didn't think about buying the Nexus 5X at the time).
The installation had some kind of problems, because I didn't manage to flash the new recovery, for some reasons and had the terrible idea to abort it by unplugging the device. However, it didn't seem to cause any problems, because I was able to boot in receovery (the Cyanogenmod one) and install the ROM. I wiped system and cache, installed the rom (and gapps, obviously) and when I turned on the device it strangely had all previous apps and manteined the same background image, making me think that it actually didn't wipe anything. Still, the rom was working and except a few bugs (phone and email apps continuously crashing which I had to disable right after the booting) there was nothing strange. Still, the ROM was definitely too slow (not that I'm accusing the devs, it was a great ROM, but there are hw limitations so that 1GB of RAM definitely is not enough for Nougat to run smoothly), and I decided to buy the Nexus 5X on which I could play as long as I wanted to with Nougat, so I decided to go back on the unofficial CM13. I downloaded the rom and the gapps, turned off the device, and my intention was to install them directly with the recovery, without using the pc. I first turned it on in the download mode because I never remember if the recovery/download mode are power+volume up/down, and then from the download mode I chose reboot in Recovery.

That's where mess happened. The Google logo with the opened locker appeared on the screen for a couple of seconds, then a split second of screen turned off, then another split second of the Google logo again and then the following loop:
For a split second I see the Android with its belly opened a red warning triangle sign and the writing "no command" below it.
Immediately after that, the image disappears and on the bottom of the screen I get the following message (with the three lines appearing one after the other, seemingly like a command line outputs):

Supprted API: 3
E:unknown fs_type "f2fs" for /cache
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_locale

This message remains for some seconds, then the screen turns off and than it turns on again with the Android and so on.

I tried everything from connecting it to a PC, to pushing each kind of button (the only input which it seems to read is pushing for 8 seconds the power botton, which causes it to shut off, but when I release the button or I wait some other seconds, it will turn on again with the Google logo), but nothing works. The only way for it to stop is letting the battery die, since I cannot remove the battery. If I pug it to a PC it will charge, but when I try to turn it on, whichever button I push, I will be stuck with the loop.

In my (completely ignorant) opinion, there could have been issues with the recovery, which worked for unknown reasons when I installed the AOSP ROM and now is broken.

So, tl;dr: I have a bootloop in the recovery, I cannot turn it on, I cannot go in download mode and I obviously cannot use the recovery. Is there a way for me to flash something in it without having it turned on?

Sorry for the very long post, but I hope I have been as detailed as possible, and thanks in advance to everyone bothering to answer me or give me his 2 cents. As i said, I'm not experienced.

lbjgh

Sep 28, 2014
interesting issue nexus 7, 2013 w/bad usb port

I'm using stock android now and would like to install cyanogenmod.

When I boot to recovery mode I get the dead android with a red exclamation mark.

I can then press the power/vol up button simaltaneously to get to the recovery menu.

When I select "apply update from sd card" to flash a downloaded cyanogenmod rom I get an error "couldn't mount /sdcard". I get the same error when I select "mount /system"

I was able to wipe the cache and do a factory reset from this menu but that's about it.

My USB port is damaged so I cannot connect to a PC and I am only able to use the tablet because of its wireless charging capability.

Any ideas how I can install the cyanogenmod rom given my damaged usb port and fubar'd recovery?

tx

edyx17

Dec 22, 2010
Ploiesti
Nexus 7(2012) - ME370T not booting anymore

Hello, i need some help with a nexus 7(asus). It doesn't boot in the OS or fastboot mode...whatever key combination i try it shows me the google logo...and then goes to the image with the opened up android and the red triangle and the text "no command" and keeps boot-looping there. It shows this image for about 5 seconds and then the image dissapears for less than a second and appears again and so on.

aleks10393

Oct 12, 2016
Perm
Hello, I installed CyanogenMod 13 by Ziyan with kernel 3.4 and I got a very bad sound in the speaker, but in headphones sound is very good. Can i fix the problem with my speaker?

donlesnar

Dec 14, 2013
Bangalore
hi
i am a beginner
my nexus 7 has slowed down like crazy
can some one tell me how to root my nexus and to install a smooth custom rom that will speed it up.
i tried but couldnt find a simple solution
thanks

TruBlaze

Jan 6, 2016
Mount Sterling
hi
i am a beginner
my nexus 7 has slowed down like crazy
can some one tell me how to root my nexus and to install a smooth custom rom that will speed it up.
i tried but couldnt find a simple solution
thanks

I suggest checking the Nexus Root Toolkit thread. :)

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

So... about Google Assistant..

Reactions: andrew2432

andrew2432

I suggest checking the Nexus Root Toolkit thread. :)

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

So... about Google Assistant..

Thanks limit reached, that's where I started! I know its ot but i wa t to remember to thank ya! Can be a bit awkward at first! Unlock bootloader first, then flash a recovery separately (worked for me that way and only when I picked "latest option" and not installed my own methods.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Hello, i need some help with a nexus 7(asus). It doesn't boot in the OS or fastboot mode...whatever key combination i try it shows me the google logo...and then goes to the image with the opened up android and the red triangle and the text "no command" and keeps boot-looping there. It shows this image for about 5 seconds and then the image dissapears for less than a second and appears again and so on.

Again rootkits thread, post above mine. You can flash stock and fix anything you messed up!

treb1971

Apr 18, 2011
Worthing
Hi, I wonder if someone can help, I bought a borked Nexus 7 off of eBay UK, I can update the bootloader and flash (and delete) recovery. However, when I try to flash it back to stock, it fails. Using Wugfresh's toolkit it switches off at some point where I suppose it should reboot, and I have to manually reboot into bootloader.
Then it fails at writing /system and /userdata. The error I get is that "remote write failed". When I flash the boot image that is successful and the device is still detectable in fastboot mode. When the flash fails, I get a "????????? recovery" message when I run "fastboot devices". I have to power down the tablet and reboot into bootloader / fastboot mode, and then the tablet is recognised again.

So my question is, is there anything else I can try, or should I just bin it?

skinniezinho

Sep 5, 2010
Aveiro
Maybe anyone can help me.
I bought a 32Gb Nexus 7 2012. The owner said that previously the tablet had some issue with the screen, but that he opened it and fixed it (something about a connector disconnected).
It works fine, except that in some areas of the screen (right down corner for example) in need to apply a lot of pressure for it to assume the touch.
Any hint on it?

andynroid

Apr 27, 2010
Klang Valley
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Maybe anyone can help me.
I bought a 32Gb Nexus 7 2012. The owner said that previously the tablet had some issue with the screen, but that he opened it and fixed it (something about a connector disconnected).
It works fine, except that in some areas of the screen (right down corner for example) in need to apply a lot of pressure for it to assume the touch.
Any hint on it?
Digitiser perhaps need to be replace

Jan 23, 2013
Looks like there hasn't been a post in here in quite a while.
I've got an old 32GB Nexus 7 Tablet, currently updated to Android version 6.0.1
I have finally decided to get around to rooting it.

I haven't rooted a phone in years, and last time I was just following a step by step guide.
I attempted to use the towelroot method on this phone, but my Nexus has been updated past the point where I could use that app.

Is it too late to root my phone? I don't believe a factory reset would remove my android updates.
I've looked around a bit and not sure where I can start because I'm not sure if my device is compatible.

Assuming it's not too late to root my Nexus 7, where do I start?
Thanks in advance, I apologize about the basic questions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 – GROUPER & TILAPIA (WiFi & 3G)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: Do I need a toolkit to root this bad boy?....?[/SIZE]
    Its a Nexus, imo if you need a toolkit you're either not experienced enough for rooting or too lazy Toolkits are out there and they are really straight forward, but you should get to know how to use fastboot/adb in case you need it. If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't be mucking around with your $200+ toy in case you screw something up and don't know how to use ADB or fastboot to restore it​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: I'm thinking of getting this device/I'm new to this device. What are the main problems i should look out for? [/SIZE]
    Look through the following threads - Nexus 7 defects? - List of known faults.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Which ROM/kernel/recovery etc. would be the best choice for me? [/SIZE]
    No-one can answer this for you. We all have our favorites, so just test different ones out and see which you prefer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: When I flash my first custom ROM, how come I get stuck in a bootloop? [/SIZE]
    While it's recommended that you always do a full wipe before installing, you HAVE to do a full wipe before installing your first ROM. If you don't, you N7 will not boot up.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I flashed a new kernel and when I change frequencies, it reverts to stock settings 1.3GHz after a while. WHY??? [/SIZE]
    You need a patched PowerHAL. On a very basic level, after a while the stock google PowerHAL likes to revert a lot of settings to stock. This includes the CPU clock speeds, etc. I got my PowerHAL from here
    http://imoseyon.host4droid.com/grouper/beta/
    And I flashed the nofreq one. It will NOT change your frequency, ever. After you flash the PowerHAL, use your favourite app (I like tricksterMOD, but support your devs by buying their apps) to set your kernel settings, and set them on boot. This is the easiest way to get settings to stick.
    OR
    You could use an init.d script to set a maximum clock speed. This way, you will need a kernel/ROM that supports boot.img.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35493253&postcount=1366
    This is a lot more difficult but it works :)

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How much overclocking is too much? Am I damaging my device? [/SIZE]
    No chips are created equally. Some can take more OC than others. It is fact that too much OC can shorten the life of your CPU. A general rule I have seen used a lot is to not go around 20-30% over the stock speed. That is around 1.5GHz which most kernels get up to. However, a lot of devices can take more and will go higher. See for yourself, just don't be stupid :p

[SIZE=+1]Q7: What is the difference between x and y kernel governors/schedulers? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q8: I tried to boot my device into recovery from the bootloader and now it is stuck on the google screen. Is it bricked? [/SIZE]
    No. Probably not. Chances are you're on an old bootloader, which has a bug that doesn't allow you to get into recovery from the BL without being connected to a computer. So, connect it to your computer, hold vol down/power for 10 secs to go back to the bootloader. You can go to the recovery from there.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: On my HTC (whatever) I could transfer files onto my sdcard while in recovery. How do I do it on the N7? [/SIZE]
    You can't drag/drop in recovery between your N7 and a PC. Either boot into android and transfer your files, or use ADB while in recovery.
    "adb push nameoffile /data/media" or wherever your things are (beware of how many 0's there are on your sdcard).​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: My files on my "sdcard" appear under /data/media/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0. WHY so many 0's?? [/SIZE]
    Ask Google. It’s got to do with the multiuser feature brought to android in 4.2. Ever user has their own folder, so you might have /0 and /1. If you're having troubles with it in recovery, I would update to the latest TWRP.​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: I’m trying to update my stock rooted modded N7 to 4.2 from 4.1.2 but it won't work. Help? [/SIZE]
    You need to be running completely stock to update. So, you need to either flash a stock ROM or the stock image.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: When I finish watching a video the screen goes weird. Its like, washed out or something. Is my device bricked? Is my screen bricked? [/SIZE]
    No. Its the tegra smartdimmer. When your device is playing a video, the Tegra 3 automatically bumps up the contrast and dims the backlight, to save battery. This is a feature. To turn it off, either use a script or tricksterMOD (which is much easier).​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Battery life on this kernel/ROM sux. I've been using it for half an hour and its dropped 30% already. Why? Restoring to my old kernel..[/SIZE]
    When you flash a new ROM/kernel, you need to give it a few battery cycles before battery is reported accurately. So, flash the new kernel, drain it (not necessarily to 0%), charge it fully, drain it again, charge, then play around. Do not complain about battery or anything without doing a few cycles first.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: I am about to flash another ROM. Do I have to full wipe or can I flash it on top? (Dirty flash).[/SIZE]
    Usually you can probably dirty flash. But if it causes problems, don't report them. Best thing to do is to reflash the ROM with a full wipe and see if bugs persist. I always wipe when changing to a different ROM, but when updating a ROM i don't wipe usually.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: Should I unlock the bootloader when I get the tablet if I am going to root it anyway?.[/SIZE]
    I would say no. Because, if there is a problem you have sort of voided your warranty. I like to keep my devices for a month without rooting/unlocking them in case there is a fault or something. You should do the same, I’d hate to have a brand new device, root it and then find a fault and have voided your warranty. Companies can be sneaky and can probably try to avoid fixing your device under warranty if you tamper with it. However you could always relock and revert to stock, but it is much easier to be patient and make sure there are no problems ​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: Will rooting my tablet make it faster/awesomer and have improve battery life?[/SIZE]
    Short answer: no.
    Long answer: nope.

Rooting alone will not change anything relateds to battery or performance. However custom ROMs, kernels and other mods will change things. For example flashing a more optimised kernel might improve performance, especially if you overclock it. Similarly, underclocking generally improves battery life. Of course it depends on what crap you have on your device too, but that's the general idea. Usually in the OP of a ROM/kernel thread, and in the comments you can get a good idea on whether it is optimized for battery, performance or a combination.​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: What’s difference between N7 “Grouper – Nakasi” and N7 3G “Tilapia – Nakasig”?.[/SIZE]
    Wi-Fi (all models) = Nakasi - Grouper
    3G/Wi-Fi = Nakasig - Tilapia

The Nakasi/Nakasig is the image (operating system)
    and
    the Grouper/Tilapia is the hardware build.
    Because one of the files for the phone call apk is named "tilapia"
    assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "tilapia"
    getprop("ro.build.product") == "tilapia".​

[SIZE=+1]Q18: Can I use same recovery for N7 “Grouper” and N7 3G “Tilapia”? [/SIZE]
    Yes, but it is preferable to use a special recovery for the tilapia. You will find 3 special recoveries for Tilapia.​

[SIZE=+1]Q19: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
    Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
    *Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
    *Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
    *A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
    *Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
    *Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
    *Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[INDEX]All In One Nexus 7 Index Thread (WiFi)
    [Index]All for NEXUS 7 - "Nakasig/Tilapia" - (3G/GSM/HSPA+)
    [GUIDE][BOOTLOADER][4.2.2] TILAPIA JDQ39 - 4.18 Flash Image Instructions (FOR 3G VERSION)

*Use the thanks button if someone helps you or answers your question*
    *Read the sticked threads*
    *Google probably knows the answer to your question*

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to those who contributed to the production of this FAQ, especially kinfauns, kidcarter93, philos64, ronnie498, fellow RC's, me ;)
    Welcome to the Nexus 7 Help Thread

This thread is here to help our community out as best as it can.
    Why is this thread here?
    There's 2 main reasons really. The first reason is to stop the development threads getting filled with questions which have nothing to do with the thread they're posted in. That then makes the thread go off-topic which is not what a development thread is there for.
    The second reason is because there are too many repetitive questions being asked. The main problem with that is the fact that other users will sometimes attack the OP and 'flaming' them.

The main way which this thread will help to stop that happening is by helping you out as much as possible, while being in a friendly environment.

Below you will find the Thread Rules which I expect you all to follow and not to break them.

Thread Rules

1. Remember that while posting in this thread and across the whole site, you must not break the Forum Rules.
    2. Even though this thread is for everyone to use, there'll be a lot if new members in here so no flaming or insulting anyone else.
    3. As this is a help thread, remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question.
    4. Even if you get your question answered by reading the 2nd it 3rd post, be sure to come back here and read some more. It will help you to learn even more.

Hall Of Fame

As I'll be keeping an eye on this thread quite a lot, I'll be adding the people to this list who have been the most helpful and are contributing the most.

1.markj338

Nexus 7 Moderators

If you report any posts, the report will go to our SM (Senior Moderator) and FSMs (Forum Specific Moderators). They are our SM - zelendel and our FSMs - Shreyas Jani, chrisd1a1, GODZSON, Divine_Madcat, babijoee and Moscow Desire. If you have any questions about this forum in particular then feel free to drop them a PM.

In post 2 there will be some really useful links so be sure to check them out.
    In post 3 there'll be an FAQ which will help you out aswell :)
    Useful Information & Links To Help You

XDA In General

First of all, I'm linking to some general XDA threads which can help you become more familiar with this site and how things run. I feel this is one thing which new users don't realize because they think it's okay to come to this site and post anywhere.
    If you don't feel this applies to you, please move onto the Nexus 7 links further down this post.

XDA New User Guide - I can't stress enough how important that thread is. If you follow what that guide says, you'll be well on your way to becoming an asset to the XDA forums.

[HOW TO] Make A Substantial Thread, Post, Question & Poll - This is also a must read thread. Why, you ask? Well it's simple. Reading this will show you the best way to post your thread to ensure that people will respond and be able to help you. Rather than just giving no information or a thread title called "Mah phone brikked. Hlp me plzzz!", following that thread will give you the best chance of being helped.

[HOW TO] Make A Good Signature - This really is needed because as you'll see in a lot of signatures, mine included, is that we list our current devices and what ROM/kernel we are using. This helps people to help us. Take a look at the thread to find out what else to include in your signature.

Nexus 7 Helpful Links

I'll have these threads numbered so if you ask a question and it can be answered by looking at the first thread here, I'll say "Go to post 2 > nexus 7 > thread 1"

1. READ THIS FIRST - Nexus 7 General Section

2. [GUIDE] Flashing a factory image with fastboot/ returning to stock

3. N7 kernel test results (Performance & Battery tests)

4. Nexus 7 All-In-One Development Index

5. [Index]- 28 Jan 2013 - All for NEXUS 7 - "Nakasig/Tilapia" - (GSM/HSPA+)

6. NEXUS 7 3G-"nakasig"-For all Your Jelly Bean Discussions, Problems and Solutions

More will be added at a later date :)
    Thread cleaned...

Just a friendly reminder .. if you can start a post by saying :

"I have posted this already in its own separate thread..."

You do not need to be finishing said post.. ;)
    Since this thread is for newbie I want to ask , can i use franco kernel on N7 3G 32GB?

There is a difference in being new and being spoon fed. You will find your answer in the Franco kernel thread.

Cheers Danny