Wifi Tether app works

Search This thread

showson1

Dec 10, 2009
OK, Since Root is out I just rooted my phone and installed the Wifi Tether app (avaiable in the market) and it works like a charm.

Have a friend with an iPhone and she was able to connect right up and get online.

Gotta' love root.. ;)

BB2DX

Jul 24, 2010
Recent convert

I am a recent cover from blackberry to android. One thing I am interested in is rooting. It seems like it us a must to get everything out of the phone... However it also seems much more complicated than loading a beta os on a bb. Can you point me to a good, step by step instruction site on rooting my X. I'm not a "geek" or anything close. I just want to get everything I can out of these devices. Also, does the app you mention work with all macs? I noticed a lot of apps only work with pcs.

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Dec 3, 2009
Virginia
OK, Since Root is out I just rooted my phone and installed the Wifi Tether app (avaiable in the market) and it works like a charm.

Have a friend with an iPhone and she was able to connect right up and get online.

Gotta' love root.. ;)

+1 and confirmed. Rooted and Tethered myself this morning.

I am a recent cover from blackberry to android. One thing I am interested in is rooting. It seems like it us a must to get everything out of the phone... However it also seems much more complicated than loading a beta os on a bb. Can you point me to a good, step by step instruction site on rooting my X. I'm not a "geek" or anything close. I just want to get everything I can out of these devices. Also, does the app you mention work with all macs? I noticed a lot of apps only work with pcs.

WiFi tether is of course OS agnostic. It sets your phone up as an access point.
Other apps are USB or possibly Bluetooth tethering, and that might require a client side app.

to Root:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/23/videos-how-to-root-the-droid-x/

BB2DX

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for the help. if i understand correctly, the app would allow for wifi hotspot without paying the$ 20. Fee to vzw?

BB2DX

Jul 24, 2010
Ok.

I've looked at the sites explaining the rooting process and I think I get it. The crackberry community was great about providing support to people who wanted to do more. So far the android community seems on part with that, just need a rooting and android/linux for dummies site. Its a lot more technical than the bb os.

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Dec 3, 2009
Virginia
I've looked at the sites explaining the rooting process and I think I get it. The crackberry community was great about providing support to people who wanted to do more. So far the android community seems on part with that, just need a rooting and android/linux for dummies site. Its a lot more technical than the bb os.

The "hardest" part of this will be setting up the Android SDK and making sure adb works properly.
This is my sort-of first Android phone (I had the Droid 1 on launch day, but took it back), so much of this is new to me too. I do have some minor linux experience, which helps, but I just followed the video link I posted step for step and had no problems.

BB2DX

Jul 24, 2010
The problem is, I don't know what android sdk or adb mean. That's why i'm not rushing into rooting. I am scared to brick this device. I love it (except for 8 hour charge on battery. But coming from a bb I should expect not to get the same two days) and am afraid of making a mistake due to lack of knowledge.

grdm

Jun 20, 2010
www.thenetwerk.com
gonna post the info from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7334641&postcount=9 here again just in case u guys dont end up to see it

Here is a few things to keep in mind..

The Verizon 3G app is infrastructure, thus it works with things like PSP and Nintendo DS, which is why i keep it. The Wireless tether apps are only ad-hoc for now.

From what ive been told, the verizon app loads a different firmware in the wi chip before running.

this is why i ONLY use the hot app for PSP and DS and the rest wi-t for root

Hope this helps

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Dec 3, 2009
Virginia
The problem is, I don't know what android sdk or adb mean. That's why i'm not rushing into rooting. I am scared to brick this device. I love it (except for 8 hour charge on battery. But coming from a bb I should expect not to get the same two days) and am afraid of making a mistake due to lack of knowledge.

You are wise to want to read all you can before jumping in.

Android SDK is the 'Software Development Kit'. It's the tools/drivers from Google that allow direct interaction with your android phone. While ostensibly intended for developers, it is the tool you will need.
ADB = Android Debug Bridge. It's a tool that comes with the SDK. It's a command line shell that allows you to push/pull files directly to the phone as well as open a shell (android is just a mini/modified version of linux - hence needing to get 'root' to be able to modify system related files).

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to take screen shots on the Droid X.
This is another thing that can be done with the SDK, so the important part of this tutorial is getting the SDK installed.
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/22/how-to-take-screenshots-with-the-droid-x/

Hope that helps.

twigster

Nov 16, 2009
Johannesburg
I've tried this with my nintendo wii. It finds the access point justice fine, but won't actually connect. Does anyone have any clues of possible setup corrections necessary?

I'm using the sapphire 32b.

aplechaty

Oct 5, 2009
What to do

OK i hope to wifi tether as well. What is the process to set this up and what apps specifically do I need to get once I get my droid x? Thanks in advance.

aplechaty

Oct 5, 2009
I downloaded the droidxrootv2 zip file to my pc. The videos mention ADB what is this, and where do i get the drivers for it? Also is the wifi tether app named as such or is it called something else on marketplace? Thanks.