28th July 2010, 01:00 AM |#561  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 147

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuatha

Same. On modaco r5 and htc website is now the right colour. HTC obviously included some sort of software work-around in the test rom.

You still see a slight pinkish hue at times when pinch-zooming, but other than that it's fine.

HTC had already adjusted the Pinkish Hue in the OTA updates to Desire it's not new to just the new 2.04/6 Roms.
28th July 2010, 10:36 AM |#562  
Flag HNX
Thanks Meter: 1,967

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r47z

pink hue on htc website went away on LeeDroid 1.6 wooo.. It's totally GREY, like what you see on your PC.

i gave it a try too, it's better for me now, but not as good as my girlfriends desire...
28th July 2010, 02:02 PM |#563  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I think after pondering a little over this issue, the reddish hue which is visible at the lowest brightness(no brightness), can be corrected through a software. Like the hue adjustment on camera software. I think such a program is not that difficult to make.

Is it possible??
28th July 2010, 10:26 PM |#564  
Flag UK-KSA-S.E.Asia
Thanks Meter: 290

More
The display colours are as they are due to display RGB primary calibration at the factory - and software to a much much tinier degree - nothing to do with manufacturing. It is either intentional to circumvent other problems or simply poor-to-no calibration. The DDI approximation won't by itself make such errors with proper display calibration.

1. The Desire and Nexus One both have a very blue colour temperature intentionally, which shifts the greys to the red-magenta spectrum when combined with the PenTile over-green subpixel approximations the DDI must provide for. The reason for that starts with the fact that the organic B element in OLEDs fail far faster than the RG, and the blue luminance is very low but with high power draw which results in very low blue luminous efficiency right from the start. This is a known problem with OLED engineering. To delay the onset of the B spectra output decreasing to the viewer, manufacturers intentionally shift the beginning calibration towards very blue output. So it starts off with colour oversaturation and a bluey temperature with higher power draw, but as the B pixels degrade and their luminosity decreases, the blue doesn't suddenly disappear within the first 2-5 years of average use, it will just decrease significantly. As the blue luminance decreases, at some point, the colours will appear far better than when new.

You can see such measurements in these tests by professionals, for instance: http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_One_ShootOut.htm

2. There are other workarounds employed, like the PenTile matrix, but it shouldn't affect the image reproduction much if the display is properly factory calibrated with the primaries and the software algorithms are decent with scaling and compression. Higher B spectra than with PenTile would increase sharpness but also increase power by a large margin on these displays too. Increasing B spectra would also increase the probability of defective subpixels on the display.

3. The bad readability people complain about in sunlight is due to very low maximal white luminance with these OLED displays (~200*cd/m2) and the high reflectance on these displays (primarily because of the metallic cathode, large spaces between layers so the panel is far down and poor anti-reflective coating on-screen). The device manufacturers can easily circumvent these, with additional time+cost.

4. If colour accuracy is what you are after, except black, nothing on the market touches the LCD featuring Droid X and the Droid - both known for absolutely excellent colour reproduction. I've used both. Look at the Droid here, for instance: http://www.displaymate.com/Motorola_Droid_ShootOut.htm

5. Just to be clear. I have absolutely no problem with some bits currently appearing slightly pink instead of light grey. Had someone here not complained, I wouldn't have noticed. I do dislike the obvious oversaturation in colours everywhere much though.

-----------------------------------
- Sent via my HTC Desire -
The Following User Says Thank You to th3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift th3 Ad-Free
29th July 2010, 11:06 AM |#565  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3

[...] I do dislike the obvious oversaturation in colours everywhere much though.

TH3, thanks for your complete and interesting explanation.
I also don't mind the slight pink hue in GMail, but - as you say - what's really bad is the strong oversaturation in colours all around (in particular orange is almost blowing out of the screen ).
30th July 2010, 05:33 AM |#566  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrozza

TH3, thanks for your complete and interesting explanation.
I also don't mind the slight pink hue in GMail, but - as you say - what's really bad is the strong oversaturation in colours all around (in particular orange is almost blowing out of the screen ).

Tried searching for how to reduce the strong oversaturation throughout the device but can't find anything.. I assume there's no way around this right?
30th July 2010, 04:41 PM |#567  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Oh well, now that HTC are moving to S-LCD screens, there shouldn't be any pinkish tint or over-saturation on the new Desires. Plus you'll get true 800*480 resolution with each pixel being able to display any colour.
31st July 2010, 09:48 AM |#568  
Flag Mangalia
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The pentile matrix layout it's a subpixel layout, nobody stole your pixels, it's still 800*480.
31st July 2010, 10:51 AM |#569  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigbrother

The pentile matrix layout it's a subpixel layout, nobody stole your pixels, it's still 800*480.

Q: How many of your 800*480 pixels does it take to display the smallest possible white dot on a pentile matrix?

Is it:

A: 1 - same as on an S-LCD display
B: More than 1
C: Don't care - if I want to believe that pixels = resolution then I will

Clue: The answer isn't A.
1st August 2010, 12:09 AM |#570  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
On the Froyo ROM's I've tried, they've all got rid of the pinkish tint problem. It's obviously not a hardware issue, but a software/calibration one.
1st August 2010, 04:31 PM |#571  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 0

More
No More pinkish tint in Froyo.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amoled, display, hue, issue, pinkish

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)