Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][Root][OFFICIAL] AdAway v4.3.0 :: [2019-11-01]

595 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
16th October 2017, 03:52 AM |#9991  
Thanks Meter: 620

More
I am having trouble activating AdAway 3.2 on Nougat 7.1.2 on a N5X. I checked the "systemless" option in settings, it asked me to change the source to /data/data/hosts, so I did, then it asked me if I wanted to create a symlink, I said yes, and it said it couldn't create it :S. It is supposed to work this way right? What am I doing wrong? Using SuperSU 2.82 SR5.
16th October 2017, 05:15 AM |#9992  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 814

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusherDude

I am having trouble activating AdAway 3.2 on Nougat 7.1.2 on a N5X. I checked the "systemless" option in settings, it asked me to change the source to /data/data/hosts, so I did, then it asked me if I wanted to create a symlink, I said yes, and it said it couldn't create it :S. It is supposed to work this way right? What am I doing wrong? Using SuperSU 2.82 SR5.

Are you getting the prompt to give adaway su rights? Check in the su settings to make sure it is granted. Unless you installed supersu systemless, which is not default there are several extra steps, you can try without systemless option in AdAway.
16th October 2017, 02:13 PM |#9993  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by githyanki

Are you getting the prompt to give adaway su rights? Check in the su settings to make sure it is granted. Unless you installed supersu systemless, which is not default there are several extra steps, you can try without systemless option in AdAway.

I'm using SuperSU 2.82 SR5 (systemless), and yes, I have given root permissions (and supersu log says so). Without systemless option it doesn't work either :S

Edit: after some reboots, after asking to create the symlink it seems to work (at least shows the green ok sign and says that files have been applied). However every time I try to update the file with new hots, it says that there is not a symlink and that it needs to create one. Again and again, is this normal?
16th October 2017, 02:42 PM |#9994  
Flag Rennes
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Hi there, I'm just installing Adaway on a new Galaxy S8 (Exynos) and when trying to patch hosts with Adaway it says something like "impossible to copy hosts file". I don't know where the error come from, I tried to set permissions on hosts file to rw-rw-rw and no change... Any idea why I can't use Adaway ? Never had any problem with it on any other phone before... Thanks !
16th October 2017, 03:13 PM |#9995  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,391

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusherDude

I'm using SuperSU 2.82 SR5 (systemless), and yes, I have given root permissions (and supersu log says so). Without systemless option it doesn't work either :S

Edit: after some reboots, after asking to create the symlink it seems to work (at least shows the green ok sign and says that files have been applied). However every time I try to update the file with new hots, it says that there is not a symlink and that it needs to create one. Again and again, is this normal?

Not normal. Symlink should not be needed, host location should not be changing.
Are you running SuperSU in sbin mode?
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
16th October 2017, 03:21 PM |#9996  
Flag Rennes

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't know what is the sbin mode (I've been away from Android for a long while... maybe something new ?). FYI, I rooted using what appears to be very new Chainfire CFAR method (downloading from desktop.firmware.mobi)... maybe it comes from there ! I also discovered Magisk which seems very interesting, but didn't tried for now...
16th October 2017, 03:52 PM |#9997  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooon3

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't know what is the sbin mode (I've been away from Android for a long while... maybe something new ?). FYI, I rooted using what appears to be very new Chainfire CFAR method (downloading from desktop.firmware.mobi)... maybe it comes from there ! I also discovered Magisk which seems very interesting, but didn't tried for now...

Yes it's new. Default mode for Oreo. Optional for Nougat.
What are the contents of:
/su/su.d and /su/etc
There should be an adaway script in su.d and a hosts file in etc. The script should consist of a bind mount command mounting the hosts file in /su/etc over the one in /system/etc

(If those directories don't exist then just answer which of the following exist:
/su
/data/su.img
/data/adb)
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
16th October 2017, 03:56 PM |#9998  
Flag Rennes

More
Quote:

Yes it's new. Default mode for Oreo. Optional for Nougat.
What are the contents of:
/su/su.d and /su/etc
There should be an adaway script in su.d and a hosts file in etc. The script should consist of a bind mount command mounting the hosts file in /su/etc over the one in /system/etc

(If those directories don't exist then just answer which of the following exist:
/su
/data/su.img
/data/adb)

Here it is :
/su does exist
In /su/su.d there is a 000000deepsleep file
Nothing in /su/etc
/data/su.img exists (96Mb)
/data/adb folder also exists and is empty
16th October 2017, 07:05 PM |#9999  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooon3

Here it is :
/su does exist
In /su/su.d there is a 000000deepsleep file
Nothing in /su/etc
/data/su.img exists (96Mb)
/data/adb folder also exists and is empty

Ok, try this.
Settings|apps|Adaway
Delete data
Start Adaway
Select systemless in preferences
Do NOT update hosts.
Reboot
Check contents of /su directories again.
16th October 2017, 07:54 PM |#10000  
Flag Rennes

More
Quote:

Ok, try this.
Settings|apps|Adaway
Delete data
Start Adaway
Select systemless in preferences
Do NOT update hosts.
Reboot
Check contents of /su directories again.

All right, I started as you meant, but didn't find the "systemless" opt in prefs... But however, I deleted datas and rebooted and tadaa, it works just fine...
But /su/ subfolders are still in the same status they all were before...
The Following User Says Thank You to mooon3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mooon3 Ad-Free
16th October 2017, 11:30 PM |#10001  

More
Quote:

I honestly have no idea what sbin mode is, so unless its default, I guess not..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)