595 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
16th October 2017, 11:30 PM |#10001  
Thanks Meter: 620

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

Not normal. Symlink should not be needed, host location should not be changing.
Are you running SuperSU in sbin mode?

I honestly have no idea what sbin mode is, so unless its default, I guess not..
16th October 2017, 11:57 PM |#10002  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,388

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusherDude

I honestly have no idea what sbin mode is, so unless its default, I guess not..

Just follow the responses I posted to moon. sbin is optional for Nougat, default for Oreo.
I actually thought I was responding to you (didn't notice the author had changed), so the advice and questions remain the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
17th October 2017, 12:06 AM |#10003  

More
Quote:

Just follow the responses I posted to moon. sbin is optional for Nougat, default for Oreo.
I actually thought I was responding to you (didn't notice the author had changed), so the advice and questions remain the same.

Yeah, his "thanks for your reply" was a little WTF to me too lol, maybe he was in the exact same situation?

In my case, adaway is working now, and I do have the /su/su.d/ script and the /su/etc/ hosts file. But even in this scenario, everytime I try to update the hosts file, it asks me to create the bind again, and after pressing ok the host file is updated.. but the symlink isn't created somehow. Kinda strange.

EDIT: That was before. After a reboot, adaway shows no host file exist (even if on the /su/ partition it does exist), and there is an error creating the symlink now. This seems like a head/tails coin everytime I reboot o.O. The script and hosts files are still in place, but apparently adaway doesnt detect them. This is being a headache, why it worked flawlessly on systemless SuperSU on M and not on N :S

EDIT2: After deleting data again, activating systemless, rebooting, and trying to apply hosts (this entire seq. for the second time..) now it seems to work flawlessly with any message about symlinks or anything o.O. I think the issue may have been some M stuff still conflicting, but I wonder how that survived the first data wipe.
17th October 2017, 12:19 AM |#10004  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,388

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusherDude

Yeah, his "thanks for your reply" was a little WTF to me too lol, maybe he was in the exact same situation?

In my case, adaway is working now, and I do have the /su/su.d/ script and the /su/etc/ hosts file. But even in this scenario, everytime I try to update the hosts file, it asks me to create the bind again, and after pressing ok the host file is updated.. but the symlink isn't created somehow. Kinda strange.

EDIT: That was before. After a reboot, adaway shows no host file exist (even if on the /su/ partition it does exist), and there is an error creating the symlink now. This seems like a head/tails coin everytime I reboot o.O. The script and hosts files are still in place, but apparently adaway doesnt detect them. This is being a headache, why it worked flawlessly on systemless SuperSU on M and not on N :S

Do what I said in the other posts. Go to settings, wipe data, restart Adaway, select systemless, reboot, then try to update hosts and see what happens. (Make sure hosts is pointing to /system/etc and not data/data)
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
17th October 2017, 12:36 AM |#10005  

More
Quote:

Do what I said in the other posts. Go to settings, wipe data, restart Adaway, select systemless, reboot, then try to update hosts and see what happens. (Make sure hosts is pointing to /system/etc and not data/data)

Yeye, did it, I think I added the EDIT2 after you started replying. After doing that for the second time it worked lol (the mistery is why it survived the first round). Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RusherDude For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RusherDude Ad-Free
17th October 2017, 08:13 PM |#10006  
Flag Santa Cruz
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Sorry for a blatantly noob question (& yes I did attempt searching):
If I wish to block all calls to/from a specific site (say, amazonaws.com for example), how do I go about it? Is there a way to blacklist any calls using a wildcard symbol before the sitename (such as *.amazonaws.com)?

Sorry to ask....I really wish there was a "for dummies" basic instruction manual for us noobs. I checked Adaway's website & Git, but no basic instructions on adding site blocking.
17th October 2017, 08:21 PM |#10007  
Flag Thane
Thanks Meter: 283

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryn70

Seeing ads in mx player and polaris office .
Anyone else getting ads on this apps ?

Yeah same. And also in Advanced Download Manager and WPS Office
17th October 2017, 08:39 PM |#10008  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,270

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm831

If I wish to block all calls to/from a specific site (say, amazonaws.com for example), how do I go about it? Is there a way to blacklist any calls using a wildcard symbol before the sitename (such as *.amazonaws.com)?

AdAway creates/updates a standard host file, which will be used by the standard function of the network libraries. The hostfile contains pairs of one ipaddress and one or more hostnames, e.g. [code[127.0.0.1 localhost myhost.localdomain phone47[/code]
Wildchars (jokers) are not supported. So you must code each hostname individually...
The Following User Says Thank You to guest4711 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guest4711 Ad-Free
17th October 2017, 08:49 PM |#10009  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO
Thanks Meter: 5,830

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm831

Sorry for a blatantly noob question (& yes I did attempt searching):

Sorry to ask....I really wish there was a "for dummies" basic instruction manual for us noobs. I checked Adaway's website & Git, but no basic instructions on adding site blocking.

The Adaway Wiki is linked in post 1 near the bottom, Here is the section you want to read and use.
https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/wiki/LogDNS
The Following User Says Thank You to Pkt_Lnt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pkt_Lnt Ad-Free
17th October 2017, 10:14 PM |#10010  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 614

More
This apk is 1 year old. Maybe wont work well cause it is outdated.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinko975 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tinko975 Ad-Free
17th October 2017, 10:21 PM |#10011  
Thanks Meter: 652

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinko975

This apk is 1 year old. Maybe wont work well cause it is outdated.

Adway works fine for many. Maybe you should describe your problem with it
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nergal di Cuthah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nergal di Cuthah Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)