Some advice..

2,515 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,788

By cyanogen, Retired Recognized Developer on 20th April 2010, 06:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th November 2015, 06:41 AM |#211  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Why is this post sticky? It's outdated, links not working. And there are more posts like this one on XDA. Makes it damn hard to find things. If you put a guide up here to help people, please keep it updated or close it when you don't do that anymore, saves a lot of people a lot of work and time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martend For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Martend Ad-Free

11th November 2015, 02:23 PM |#212  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Saved
Thanks for the links!
30th December 2015, 03:14 AM |#213  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 1,048

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martend

Why is this post sticky? It's outdated, links not working. And there are more posts like this one on XDA. Makes it damn hard to find things. If you put a guide up here to help people, please keep it updated or close it when you don't do that anymore, saves a lot of people a lot of work and time.

It's stickied because 1. its original and 2. its very useful in the sense that it points people in the right direction and prevents noobs/newbies (like me) from going "OHH THERES A STICKIED THREAD ON STEP BY STEP ROM MAKING" and then something comes along (aka bugs) and you go cri to this exact same forum. At least that is what I THINK it is, this opinion is purely mine.

As for the broken links, why do they make a difference? it says "For serious students only. " on forum homepage. if you're a serious student you will bother to google it up. If you say you are serious but still don't bother to google it up, you are lazy, and therefore (again IMO) a not-serious student.
30th December 2015, 09:17 AM |#214  
Flag Bayeux
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Update porting a fame lite kernel to a galaxy fame ROM
Just for those that saw my earlier posts, here is a quick update.
I managed to get wifi, Bluetooth, and cellular working by incorporating a few files from the "corsica" build ROM (galaxy pocket neo)
to replace those from the "nevisp" buld (galaxy fame). Mostly these are some shared object libraries in system/lib, but also one
bluetooth binary, and the system/etc/wifi directory.
Now about the sluggish nature of the ROM, it was due to my kernel build. I was able to restore more normal behaviour in terms
of speed by using the source tree of /arch/arm/plat-kona from the Samsung Jelly bean code rather than that used by the CM11
kernel builds for corsica/nevis devices. I was not able to pinpoint which file(s) were the culprits.
So I now have both CM11 and nameless ROMs ported from galaxy fame, but neither yet allow to show videos in the browser (last
bug to fix before I can call it finished). The result is smooth operation and good battery lifetime (no crapware).
22nd February 2016, 11:17 AM |#215  
Flag Rybinsk
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Сool
nla333
16th April 2016, 10:49 AM |#216  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandomIndian

Thanks for the links!

They are outdated now.
4th May 2016, 10:29 PM |#217  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
@cyanogen Do you care about preserving old ROMs at all for historical reasons? It amazes me in the age we live in with near infinite storage space available and the magic of the web that old versions and builds can be "lost" or simply disappear from the public. I really wanted to put CM11 on my s5 but your site only has CM12 and 13 now it seems. I think one day we will look back and be sad that certain niche things like this are gone forever. (not saying cm11 for g900t doesn't exist anymore, I'm sure its out there somewhere but there are definitely some wares that do completely disappear I think)

I mean we are fast approaching a singularity in terms of hardware and software efficiency. What I say might not make sense right now because -- hey when was the last time you wanted to whip out an actual BRICK of a carphone from the 90s and make a call with it, or use AOL on a 14.4k modem? However, I don't think it will be so cut and dry in the future. Old hardware that is made in the near future (or perhaps has already been made) will literally be useful for life if the devs, major corps and various other players let it happen. (which I doubt they would willfully, but that is a whole 'nother rant)

Sorry for being long-winded... what I'm trying to say is that I think a site dedicated to preserving all ROMs and prior versions stuff would be nice to have. http://www.oldversion.com used to be pretty useful but last I checked they had either severely slacked off or were taken over by new management that didn't care about having every possible version of everything. edit: Just checked and that site is in better shape that expected, and I still love that slogan "because newer is not always better". but it looks like they still don't do mobile preservation. They were especially useful in cases where great shareware that worked fine was suddenly "upgraded" into paid versions, and the developers of the original software stopped hosting the files. Steve Martin coined a great term for these types of upgrades btw, "deprovements".

Anyways I came here to learn how to make a simple ROM for my needs, so back to reading! I want to take a stock 4.4.4 and debloat it to the extreme for maximum battery performance and then add some essential apps. Are there any tools to make this a simple process? I would imagine a simple .exe would be capable of taking a Titanium Backup or Nandroid image file and converting it into a .zip that installs as a "ROM" through TWRP. Not sure if anyone has written and released such a tool but in theory I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
10th July 2016, 08:38 AM |#218  

More
Hello guys.
I have a little knowledge about exploit code C to get root throws some common bugs such as buffer overflow, null pointer, etc. So, have you guys had any book or website showing how to exploit android system to get root or analyze native library?. Thanks.
9th October 2017, 09:25 AM |#219  
Flag Palakkad
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanogen

I really dislike the "chef" moniker when it comes to Android, since we are more of an open-source community. I think it implies a "file pusher" mentality. But then again, I am biased against proprietary versions of Android like Sense, so feel free to disregard all of this.

Here's my advice for those looking to make their own Android ROMs.. Stop. Write an app or two first, learn how the system works from a developer standpoint. Learn some Java. Read the developer documentation. Learn how to use Git. Then learn how to build AOSP from source. Read the porting guides, and learn how the build system works (the links below have almost everything you could possibly want to know). Now try to put your new found skills to work on enhancing the platform by writing code or making theme overlays. And share! And put that **** on your resume. There is a *ton* of information out there but any kind of "step-by-step rom cooking guide" is going to be a complete fail- it's too broad of a subject.

Android Developer Guides: http://d.android.com
Working with AOSP source: http://source.android.com
Platform Developer Guide: http://pdk.android.com
Android Gitweb: http://android.git.kernel.org
Git Ready (Git tips and tricks): http://www.gitready.com/
Building CyanogenMod: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...ng_from_source
How Dexopt works and what are those odex files: http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pla...5936;hb=master

The PDK site is absolutely vital if you are going to work on custom ROMs. Read every single page. Twice. Some of the info isn't up to date, but you'll get a really good idea about what goes into actually configuring Android to work on a real device.

Hello sir. Thanks for taking out time and putting this article. As I see this in 2017, most of the links are outdated, could you please update the links?
25th October 2017, 11:49 PM |#220  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
BUMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker0i

hello sir. Thanks for taking out time and putting this article. As i see this in 2017, most of the links are outdated, could you please update the links?

i also would enjoy a link update yo
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)