[FAQ] Chromecast Frequently Asked Questions

2,486 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,026

By bhiga, Recognized Contributor on 10th December 2013, 08:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th December 2016, 10:27 PM |#271  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Sorry, someone posted it on Chromecast Facebook group so I assumed it was about the new one, deleted my message as it was a bit harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Not sure, maybe ask in the Chromecast 2015 forum, as I don't see one for the Chromecast Ultra yet.
Also remember that XDA-Developers is a user forum, not an official Google anything. If you want to provide Google with feedback, you should do so via their forums/groups.

For the original Chromecast, the answer is of course that H.265/HEVC was still in the works and distribution and availability, not to mention hardware decoders, weren't mainstream yet.

In either case, Chromecast is not really designed as a general "wireless video streaming" device, it's meant to be an extension of your existing mobile device, allowing playback of Internet-based content on your TV, offloading the work from your mobile device. It's an alternative to source device + wireless video streamer, rather than replacement.

If you want "anything I can play on my computer, I want to see on the screen" then you should look at a device designed to wirelessly mirror a screen to the TV, like a Miracast receiver or a prosumer-level wireless HDMI transmitter.

8th December 2016, 02:09 AM |#272  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matx999

Sorry, someone posted it on Chromecast Facebook group so I assumed it was about the new one, deleted my message as it was a bit harsh.

It wasn't all that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
7th August 2017, 09:52 AM |#273  
Thanks Meter: 2,156

More
Hey! I'm interested in this product here but I'm not sure whether this or any other third party Chromecast product would be supported natively from Android's Google Home app and the Chrome browser's native cast feature. Could someone please clarify this for me?
15th August 2017, 10:27 AM |#274  

More
popcorn time chromecast
how many of you have used chromecast with popcorn time ? How was your experience ?
20th August 2017, 12:53 PM |#275  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Any chance to cast mkv films to my chromecast 2 gen? Any player or app? Thx in advance
All through android phone. Please help me
20th August 2017, 06:42 PM |#276  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 709

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire1122

Any chance to cast mkv films to my chromecast 2 gen? Any player or app? Thx in advance
All through android phone. Please help me

I believe the problem is not the extension (mkv) but the encoding.
There are apps that can transcode files.
BubbleUPnP can do the transcoding "on the fly" (I.e. as it's playing on the CCast) but you will need a phone with great processing power that can keep up.
18th October 2017, 09:53 AM |#277  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Chromecast 2nd way mirror video stream while work mobile
Hi
does chromecast allows me working on my mobile while transmitting video content to my tv from same mobile?

thanks
18th October 2017, 05:56 PM |#278  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HcMAX

Hi
does chromecast allows me working on my mobile while transmitting video content to my tv from same mobile?

thanks

If the app natively supports Chromecast (in other words, you are not using screen mirroring), Yes.

And, if you're not sending content that is actually stored on your phone, Chromecast will be pulling the content itself, it doesn't go to your phone then to Chromecast, it goes directly to Chromecast and you can just control playback from your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
26th October 2017, 10:44 AM |#279  

More
I have another question to ask: How to Stream 4K Video to Chromecast Ultra via Plex Media Server?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, faq

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)