USB car charger

Search This thread

Bobro

Sep 5, 2007
Blackburn
i have a problem with charging mine in the car, seems that i have to rev over 3,000 rpm before it kicks in charging my phone... it will stay charging after that but if its on and my car idles for a while it stops charging.

madman604

Jul 14, 2007
mini USB cable
....___________
....I.....................I
....I.....................I
.../..1...2...3...4..5..\
./_______________\

1 VCC Red +5 VDC
2 D- White Data -
3 D+ Green Data +
4 Nothing
5 GND Black Ground

Solder cable 4 to cable 5.

nice image aaahh :D ....it took me over 5 min...

awesome pic, thanks.
took a dremel grinding disc to mine and cut a slot across the top. then used a narrow soldering iron to put a dab of solder onto pins 4 and 5 as far inside as i could (so not to get in the way of inserting int my phone). works like a charm.

now seeing as pin 4 is "supposed to be" unused for anything in any standard mini USB device, it won't damage any normal device will it? except for not being able to be used for Activesync for a PC?

Last edited:

liquidsilver

May 15, 2006
SW WA
I need to test this further, but it appears on the surface that my 3 in 1 adapter (HTC Audio+3.5mm+chargen'snych) may have this jumpered internally. I will report back on this after I have a chance to do a continuity test.

Sethomas

Mar 20, 2008
Isle of Wight
SOLUTION TO 12v CHARGING PROBLEMS

Dear Wise Gentlemen of the Forum,

Thank you!

I have just aquired a 2nd hand SPV M3100 (to give the world of WM6 a try) and have been very impressed. I'm off to France on Saturday for 3 weeks and we're happily running Tomtom, Skype and Wififofum.

I've had no problems charging from mains or from USB whilst 'syncing' but could I charge from the car? Could I F~#=!! And as you can imagine, running the software above requires some charging.

I tried charging using the USB sync cable and a 12v USB charger/adapter to no avail. I don't want to have loads of different chargers (Bluetooth GPS, Bluetooth headset, Better half's Nokia, Kid's DVD player and my HTC) fouling the dash so I bought a 'Universal' charger kit from Maplin with all the required adaptors (and a some more if anyone wants them!). But again, no charge!:confused:

Then last Friday, searching on the problem, I found your Forum and joined immediately.

I then proceeded to (carefully) cut open the brand new mini USB adapter that came with the kit. It took some digging but in the 1st photo below you can see the result. Terminals 4 & 5 of the mini USB were infact connected with a resistor (I didn't find out the rating) presumably for Motorola charging.

Well, I'd come this far, so I cut the resistor out and soldered the 2 ends back together (photo no.2), stuck a bit of silicon in to seal it and then crimped and superglued the casings back together AND........ IT WORKS !!!! :D

(Doesn't look too bad either but then I wouldn't dream of passing it under the nose of a trained Maplin shop assistant!)

To anyone in doubt I can confirm, from my experience, that to charge some HTC devices from a power source that isn't also a data source, terminals 4 & 5 of the mini USB need to be shorted.

From this I am also assuming that the after market 'charging / syncing' kits on offer that use a USB sync cable to charge from USB mains / 12v adapters, can't or shouldn't work! Watch out if you're thinking of buying one!:eek:

View attachment 77748

View attachment 77749

Merci Beaucoup mes amis et au revoir.

liquidsilver

May 15, 2006
SW WA
Charging Problems Solved for Me

I can now confirm that using the 3 in 1 headset adapters allows me to charge the TyTn with usb power sources as low as 500ma.

Power Adapter > std miniusb cable > 3 in 1 adapter > Tilt

The 3in1 adapter I'm using is this type: http://www.shopaws.com/store/usb-adapter-4816.html

I have tested this with four different power supplies, both wall outlet and car charger types.

Cheers!

CocheseUGA

Jan 12, 2008
I can now confirm that using the 3 in 1 headset adapters allows me to charge the TyTn with usb power sources as low as 500ma.

Power Adapter > std miniusb cable > 3 in 1 adapter > Tilt

The 3in1 adapter I'm using is this type: http://www.shopaws.com/store/usb-adapter-4816.html

I have tested this with four different power supplies, both wall outlet and car charger types.

Cheers!

That looks like the one that came with the AT&T 8525 version, correct?

ZaJules

Sep 13, 2005
Port Elizabeth
Once again XDA saves the day
Did the usb pin solder mod on both my car chargers and now they both work perfectly.

Thanks to all involved

Jules

liquidsilver

May 15, 2006
SW WA
I've now tested my 8525 adapter (2 in 1) and my after market adapter (3in1 with standard headphone jack) and the pocketpctechs adapter. All three of them facilitate charging perfectly. I posted in another thread but will repeat the info here for those who are search challenged:

From my personal experience, testing, and reading on these forums, it appears that there are three conditions that need to be satisfied for reliable use of the USB port:

First - The Mechanical Fit

Standard mini-USB connectors DO NOT fit the same as the HTC extended USB implementation. To address this, I use the HTC signal splitter (headphone+charger/sync) on almost all standard USB cables for charging. It's fully compliant with the HTC in all ways and has added benefits. (see below)

Second - Pin out
The charging circuit in the Tilt (and others) can be finicky with regard to whether or not it works using a standard USB cable. The HTC splitter solves that and allows slow charging from virtually any USB compliant source. I also have the adapter from http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ in my car that even allows you to select the fast charge or slow charge pin out via a switch. (VERY COOL) This works great because I'm usually looking for the fast charge in the car. (Note... fast charge is disabled when transferring data via USB) ADDITION: You can manually alter the pin out by shorting pins 4-5 in the mini-usb connector but the adapters are easier.

Third - Electrical Spec

Voltage is 5V for all USB outputs. Spikes generated in a car are pretty tough to transmit past the step down circuit/ic in the auto USB power adapters. I have never heard of a device being damaged by a spike from the car via one of these adapters. The chip itself would fail to open before frying the USB power client (aka the Phone).
Current draw for these phones is 0.5A for slow charging and around 1A+ for fast charging. This is determined by the pin out of the cable you are using. Slow charge is the default on all data type cables. Some cables sold as "charging cables" enable the fast charge. (The PPC Techs cable has the switch to do this) I recommend using at least 750mA chargers to allow the phone to have enough current to run the GPS, bluetooth, etc with the screen brightness turned up and still have a small excess trickle to charge the battery.

I hope this summary helps a bit.

Last edited:

zamorasf

May 31, 2007
It has something to do with the wire ring of the mini usb connector
normally only the red and black wire are connected, i have build my own car charger from a 12V Charger for the bluetooth earphone and soldered the white and black wire together white is the ground for the data communication.
For me it workt

liquidsilver

May 15, 2006
SW WA
You are correct. Shorting pin 4 to pin 5 will on the mini-usb connection will always put it in charging mode. I think most folks are more comfortable doing that with an adapter than by breaking open the connector and soldering. If you go that route with a USB cable, be sure to mark the cable so that you don't try to use it for data possibly damage other devices.

Cheers!

eventnick

Jan 18, 2008
EDIT : Oh Thank God, SOFTWARE SOLVED WITH XDADev_BatFix.CAB
Gentleman,

I know I'm reviving an oldie. And please dont post here that you did x whatever to your cable or you bought x whatever charger... The solution is well known and documented in that regard.

I am interested in knowing if there is a software fix for this as many have pointed out some ROMS do not have this issue. I do not want to tear apart a bunch of cables and I also want to be able to charge of a generic usb or someone elses USB charger if a modified cable is not available. . Plus mine sits in a cradle so that really doesn't help me. A software fix would be much more elegant.

Thoughts? Has this been addressed already?

Thank you,
E.

I found this cab file fix, but only for WM5.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=290748

I have WM6 any solutions?

YES XDADev_BatFix.CAB SOLVED THE PROBLEM. Stop cutting up cables. ;)

Last edited:

edward_andrew

May 13, 2010
I had the same problem with a USB car charger made in China,5V 1A,plugging the original HTC data cable in that charger would not charge the phone when it was on(only when the phone was off the charging led was red).Checking the Battery Options I found that activating the option "Charge the battery when connected to computer" solved the problem.
HTC Diamond2/Topaz
ROM 2.53.76952 (Official)

milejo

Jan 14, 2007
this procudre works fine on tytn with wm6....
follow the correct procedure from CHARMER WM6 WWE ROM post[/URL]:

Battery fix - enables USB charging:
1) download the fix attached
2) at least soft reset your device (i have performed HR to have clean system for valid testing results)
3) install the patch - DO NOT MAKE SOFT RESET!!!
4) press and hold power button until message "Device will be off..." appears
5) tap OK to turn the device off
6) power on your tytn, it should work normally since this - at least mine does

Attachments

• xBeta_XDADev_BatFix.CAB
    7.9 KB · Views: 52