Screen on time

Search This thread

pgsxdjp

Nov 4, 2009
Not as great yesterday. I've never been able to get massive SOT out of any phone I've owned (S6, HTC One X) when compared to some of the times I'd see here on XDA. Here's what I got yesterday.

Reactions: thesebastian

dsaucex

May 20, 2017
The other battery saver I saw posted, and it seems to be a big deal for the pixel 2... Turn Always On Display off. In the settings it even says it eats battery. Lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes, have turned that off since yesterday, have installed Naptime as well. Not much difference. I am getting my phone replaced my device anyway due to the NFC clicking sound issue.

dsaucex

May 20, 2017
Not as great yesterday. I've never been able to get massive SOT out of any phone I've owned (S6, HTC One X) when compared to some of the times I'd see here on XDA. Here's what I got yesterday.

This is more like what I am getting. See my screenshots - 3h50m sot with 21h40m uptime.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171026-213750.png
    Screenshot_20171026-213750.png
    117 KB · Views: 1,229
  • Screenshot_20171026-213820.png
    Screenshot_20171026-213820.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 1,214
  • Screenshot_20171026-213830.png
    Screenshot_20171026-213830.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,213

jzun223

Dec 10, 2010
Peoria
I'm really impressed with battery life. I was a little worried about the battery size of the Pixel 2, but things seem good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171027-093547.png
    Screenshot_20171027-093547.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Screenshot_20171027-092918.png
    Screenshot_20171027-092918.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 1,782

foosion

Jun 17, 2012
Screen on time is not a very comparable measure across users. One person could have the screen on to watch a video with the file on the device and another person could be playing a high-end game. They will have very different screen on times.

dsaucex

May 20, 2017
Screen on time is not a very comparable measure across users. One person could have the screen on to watch a video with the file on the device and another person could be playing a high-end game. They will have very different screen on times.

True. However, I am concerned because I hardly use my phone for any processor intensive app or game or anything like that. Basic browsing, Facebook, Whatsapp, Spotify etc. :(

phobos512

Mar 1, 2009
Pixel 2 5" -

This was the end of my first day, during which I installed approximately 70 apps over WiFi (the rest I had the night before prior to charging overnight), as well as watching a few YouTube videos.

https://i.imgur.com/lmsU0H4.png

Today, I setup all my apps (logged in, updated passwords, etc.), watched some more YouTube videos, browsing, etc. Even did some voice texting with the Assistant while I was walking to lunch, which was pretty cool. I expect I'll surpass six hours before bedtime no problem (3+ hours away).

https://i.imgur.com/KWKEOEb.png

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland
Okay, didn't think about that but i anyway disabled adaptive brightness in the morning today. Have 2.5h SoT, 15.5h uptime so far (since last full charge) and 42% battery remaining. With this rate it is likely to be slightly under 5h SoT which is still lower than what most people are reporting.
I also installed accuBattery to check battery health and it estimated it to be 91%, are these estimates usually correct? Should I be concerned?

Those battery apps don't do anything. I wouldn't trust them.
Try this out today..disable adaptive brightness, disable always on screen, put brightness at 30% and make sure GPS, Bluetooth and Wifi are only on when you are using them. Post screenshots at end of day.

With all that being done and you're not getting at least 5+ SoT, you need to RMA your device. Possible lemon battery, it wouldn't be unheard of with the QC issues ongoing.

zathus

Aug 25, 2009
How are you people getting such massive SoT? I got 3h 20m with about 19h usage yesterday.
The current status looks like 1h sot in 9h usage (mostly overnight). I had always-on on. Screenshots attached.
I installed naptime now to see if that helps.
How do I check if the battery health is ok? I used accubattery which says about 92% health, is that normal or inaccurate measurement?
Usage

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
I wonder how Pixel 2 compares to Pixel 1 XL as far as battery goes? My Pixel 1 XL is about the minimum I would want in my battery, but due to newer and more efficient hardware perhaps Pixel 2 is roughly the same?

Any comments on this? I am not a big fan of 2 XL this year and have an ability to pick up regular 2 almost for free, but I am not sure it's a good idea due to 2770 battery vs 3500 that I have now in 1 XL

Last edited:

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona

This could be because of your usage. Battery life is different in each person. It's not just about the apps...signal...settings etc. How do you touch or swype the screen also matters. The more aggressive you are with the touch screen the more frequencies the kernel raises.

Sent from my Pixel 2

pgsxdjp

Nov 4, 2009
This could be because of your usage. Battery life is different in each person. It's not just about the apps...signal...settings etc. How do you touch or swype the screen also matters. The more aggressive you are with the touch screen the more frequencies the kernel raises.

Sent from my Pixel 2

I def agree, SOT tells only part of the story. I just have no idea how people are getting over 9 hours...but I don't doubt it either. After a little over a week of use, I'd say I'm OK with the Pixel 2 battery life. It makes it through the average day with juice to spare. At the very least, close to 4 hours SOT for me, and hitting over 5.5 hours on other days. Sounds silly to say but the more I use the screen (browsing, videos, etc), the more SOT I get. Just wanted to share my experience.

duckstardeluxe

Jan 16, 2013
Copenhagen
I find the SOT okay considering the battery size. Not like it's MI Mix 2 's 7-8 hours during 34 hours good, but 3 hours and 50 percent left with these numbers it's acceptable. Happy to see that apps usage doesn't use more than than screen. Screenshot_20171102-091317_20171102091456572.jpg

penciluser

Sep 19, 2012
Drain at about 9% an hour. This is with watching videos on YouTube and browsing Reddit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171102-083023.png
    Screenshot_20171102-083023.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 794
Reactions: davidstjohn1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    7hrs SOT over 24 hours with 7% to spare after I forgot to plug in last night. Pretty impressive, nice to know I can make it pretty far into the next day in a pinch (usual SOT will be lower).

50% adaptive brightness and always on display disabled. 1.5hrs playing one of those racing games. Only turned on battery saver at 10% right at the end.
    The trick to getting better battery in most cases is simply to use your phone more. It's easy to get 6-8hrs SOT within 12hrs of unplugging your phone. It's almost impossible to do over a 48hr period.

Try for yourself.
    Today is overcast and rainy in Portland (surprise)
    So I've only had to keep brightness between 20-40%
    I am extremely happy about battery life.

45% left with 4 hours 40 minutes SOT. Today has been very average in terms of my usage, light gaming, light social media, light browsing and moderate GPS navigation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxaW1NAQAD2y4Yyt1

I'm on track to hit 8-9 hours SOT with pretty good usage across the board. Screen legibility at 30% brightness is awesome too! Have had no problems reading text or watching videos/taking pictures. There was one time I was sitting in a cafe directly under a bright light and I had to turn brightness up to 60%. I've still never had to crank it to 100% yet.
    How are you people getting such massive SoT? I got 3h 20m with about 19h usage yesterday.
    The current status looks like 1h sot in 9h usage (mostly overnight). I had always-on on. Screenshots attached.
    I installed naptime now to see if that helps.
    How do I check if the battery health is ok? I used accubattery which says about 92% health, is that normal or inaccurate measurement?

Sent from my Pixel 2

I def agree, SOT tells only part of the story. I just have no idea how people are getting over 9 hours...but I don't doubt it either. After a little over a week of use, I'd say I'm OK with the Pixel 2 battery life. It makes it through the average day with juice to spare. At the very least, close to 4 hours SOT for me, and hitting over 5.5 hours on other days. Sounds silly to say but the more I use the screen (browsing, videos, etc), the more SOT I get. Just wanted to share my experience.