HOW TO: Downgrade ANY G1 (GLOBAL ANY) (CRC1)

Search This thread

YuYe

HOW TO: Downgrade ANY G1 (GLOBAL) (CRC1)

I’ve made this guide so No more new questions are being raised for CRC1.
I know I’m Hypocrite because I did it as well.
I’ve gathered all various posts into this guide so it’s in one place. This worked perfect for me I’m running JACxHERO 1.2 at the moment.

I don’t take any Credit nor am I responsible for bricking your G1.​
First you format your SD like so:
Format F: /FS:FAT32 /A:4096

The next step is to get your CID from your SD card.
Go to the market with G1 and download Terminal Emulater.
Open the app and type: cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid
Here you receive a number like " 0353445355303147800208D254008A6E"

Convert the number like this:
03 53 44 53 55 30 31 47 80 02 08 D2 54 00 8A 6E
6E 8A 00 54 D2 08 02 80 47 31 30 55 53 44 53 03 <-- reverse of the top code

Final: 008A0054D20802804731305553445303 <-- the fisrt 2 (6E) we replace by 00

Now your ready to make the goldcard via the link below.

This number you fill out HERE and wait for the almost instant email.

- download HxD Hex Editor and install
- open program and go to "extra" and then "open disk"
- choose physical disk and then the removable disk. that is the same as your memory card. I've you don`t know with one it is. just remove the card and restart the program and you will see witch one is disappeared.
- uncheck open as readonly !!!!!!!
- go to "extra" again and the open disk image.
- open the goldcard.img witch you have created from Viper BJK website.
- press ok (512 is fine) en then "select all" and "copy"
- go to the removable disk tab and select offset 00000000 till offset 00000170 go to "edit" and then past write.
- save it
- now copy dreaming.nbh to the root off your memorycard.(RC7) <-- RC7 works best for DREA110
- turn of your phone and restart by holding the camera and the power button.

Download the Hard SPL:
SPL

Download the Recovery Image:
RECOVERY

1. All files must be on the root of your SD card.
2. Restart your phone. Wait for your phone to start up fully and show the home screen.
3. After your phone starts up, hit the enter key twice, type "telnetd" and press enter. (Yes, it will start up a contact search, don't worry. Just type it.)
4. Download an Android "Telnet" application from the Market and connect to localhost.
5. If you connect successfully, you will have a root prompt "#".
6. Type the following into Telnet (these commands will give you root access easier in the future):

o mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
o cd sdcard
o flash_image recovery recovery.img
o cat recovery.img > /system/recovery.img

What To Do Now That You Have Root
Now that you have root, you will want to apply "Hard SPL" to your phone. HardSPL is what will allow you to apply flash images from other regions (like UK on US phones, and vice versa), create full backups of your phone, install the latest build from the Android source, and usually resurrect your phone if it is "bricked". You have already downloaded the file to your SD card, so now you can apply it.

1. Power off your phone.
2. Start up in recovery mode by holding home and pressing power.
3. You will now enter recovery mode. You should see an exclamation.
4. If you do not see a menu on screen, press Alt-L to show the menu.
5. Press Alt-S to apply the update from the SD card.
6. After the update is complete, hold Home and press Back to restart.

And now, the last step! You are still running an old version of Android, but you want to upgrade to the latest and greatest update! You can do this, and not lose root by downloading modified versions of the updates.

1. Download the image.
2. Rename it to update.zip.
3. Copy it to your phone's SD card.
4. Turn your phone off.
5. Start up in recovery mode by holding Home and pressing Power.
6. Press alt-W to wipe your device. (You need to do this, or the device may hang at the flashing Android screen)
7. Press alt-S to apply the update.

Now that you have done this you can Flash ROMS that don't use ext2,3,4.

For the Hero ROMS
"WARNING YOU MUST HAVE CORRECT SPL AND RADIO"
Requirements:
: some knowledge Root, Creating Partitions, Flashing, correct radio and spl etc...
: Root see how Look up in the Post
: SPL & Radio get it (HERE)
: 3 partitions fat32, ext3 & Linux-swap see how (HERE)
: Cyanogen spiffy Recovery 1.4 Image, get it (HERE)
: G1
: Micro sd

Install Radio FIRST

Download the Radio Update
Rename it to update.zip
Remove your SD Card from your phone and place it in your SD Card Reader
Put the update.zip at the root of your SDcard (root = not in any folder)
Insert your sdcard back into the phone
Turn off your phone (Hold power and press Power Off)
Hold the Home button and then press the power button (Keep holding power)
You will now enter recovery
Open up your keyboard and press Alt-S
Let it finish the update
When done reboot by pressing Home and Back
You should be able to access your Home screen (If its stuck on the Google G1 screen dont panic, just remove your battery for now)

Installing the new SPL
Note: To update you must have a PVT board. To Check go into fastboot (Power and Camera and check) Thanks persiansown

Take your SD Card out again and plug it into the pc
Remove the update.zip that you put in there
Download your current Rom or any other ROM that you want. I suggest CyanogenMod 3.6
Download the SPL Update
Rename the SPL Update to update.zip
Remove your SD Card from your phone and place it in your SD Card Reader
Put the update.zip at the root of your SDcard (root = not in any folder)
Insert your sdcard back into the phone
Turn off your phone (Hold power and press Power Off) or put your battery back in and turn it on
Hold the Home button and then press the power button (Keep holding power)
You will now enter recovery
Open up your keyboard and press Alt-S
Let it finish the update
Now it will reboot on its own back to recovery
Reboot again by pressing Home + Back
Your phone will be stuck on the T-Mobile G1 Screen (Again DONT FREAK)
Remove the battery from your phone
Remove your SD Card and plug it back into your computer
Take the ROM that you downloaded and rename it update.zip
Remove the update.zip that was on your SD Card and put this new one it
Put the battery back into your phone
Enter recovery (Home + Power)
Press Alt+s to update
Let it finish
Press Home + Back to reboot
Thats it! You now have your new SPL and Radio

If your in a boot loop you need to re-format ext3, but how?

"Thru Phone terminal"
: Boot into recovery home+power
: Go to console ALT+X
In Phone Console:"type"
(press enter)
#
# mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd
# rm -rf /system/sd/*
# reboot recovery

Download your desired ROM rename as update.zip and your off.

Fist thanks go to Google for their initiative and the Android platform
Thanks to Haykuro
Thanks Drizzy Drake Rogers
Thanks DeToX for the GoldCard idea.
Thanks to Viper BJK for the guide
Thanks moneytoo for a perfect guide
Thanks to Koush for this guide
And Many thanks to everyone I forgot and off course XDA COMMUNITY RULES!!!!!

Last edited:

ThR1LL

Apr 8, 2009
Houston, TX
Wow rooting CRC1 seems complicated. W/e happened to just formatting your SD card to FAT32 then loading the DREAIMG.nbh in hboot?

B-man007

Jun 12, 2009
Dallas
Wow rooting CRC1 seems complicated. W/e happened to just formatting your SD card to FAT32 then loading the DREAIMG.nbh in hboot?

these root instructions are for non-us/uk phones?

Im pretty sure that the G1 can be rooted from CRC1 w/ the DREAIMG.nbh, there was a thread about it in the dev section

Hes using the goldcard method, which you must use for certain htc dream's

YuYe

These instrauctions are indeed for non US/UK phones.
This method uses the goldcard method via an Hex Editor. I understood you can also use adb to push goldcard, and you can also do it if you have WM device.

I wanted ppl to know this ay cause it's easy and worked in 1 time for me without problems

DirectMatrix

Jun 16, 2009
Norfolk, VA
You might want to edit your title as to now confuse the US G1 user's into thinking that they should use this method versus the other, much easier methods already posted and stickied.

sasa3791

Aug 8, 2009
Novo Naselje
i really want to make my G1 CRC1 rooted...
but sorry, i can't understand nothing about this mentioned above!!!
can some1 make video tutorial for this and post it on youtube?
thx

sasa3791

Aug 8, 2009
Novo Naselje
i have
Unlocked T-Mobile Germany,
firmware v1.5,
Baseband ver. 62.505.20.17U_2.22.19.26I
Kernel ver. 2.6.27-00393-g6607056 san@sandroid #1
Build no. CRC1

When I try to flash back to RC7, the gray screen comes up with "Loading" then "not allow", then it goes to the multi-colored screen.
here is spec:
DREA110 PVT 32B
HBOOT-0.96.0000
CPLD-4
RADIO-2.22.19.26I

I have tried naming the file DREAIMG.nbh , DreaIMG.nbh, DREAIMG.NBH, DreaIMG.NBH. It always says "not allow". I have tried downloading the file from two different sources. Still no joy. Could there be something wrong with my G1? Does anyone have a download location of a confirmed working image file?

and last thing: i was wondering if i downgrade my g1 will it simlock it and i have to buy a new unlock code?

Last edited:

MasterCATZ

Aug 25, 2009
exact same phone

let me know when you find perfect way to do it i have 5 of em to do

firmware 1.5

baseband 62.505.20.17h_2.22.19.261

kernal 2.6.27-00393-g6607056
san@sandriod

build
crc1

What is a good size GoldCard I am wanting to make a dedicated GoldCard to keep handy

Last edited:

derfske

Nov 18, 2009
i have
Unlocked T-Mobile Germany,
firmware v1.5,
Baseband ver. 62.505.20.17U_2.22.19.26I
Kernel ver. 2.6.27-00393-g6607056 san@sandroid #1
Build no. CRC1

When I try to flash back to RC7, the gray screen comes up with "Loading" then "not allow", then it goes to the multi-colored screen.
here is spec:
DREA110 PVT 32B
HBOOT-0.96.0000
CPLD-4
RADIO-2.22.19.26I

I have tried naming the file DREAIMG.nbh , DreaIMG.nbh, DREAIMG.NBH, DreaIMG.NBH. It always says "not allow". I have tried downloading the file from two different sources. Still no joy. Could there be something wrong with my G1? Does anyone have a download location of a confirmed working image file?

and last thing: i was wondering if i downgrade my g1 will it simlock it and i have to buy a new unlock code?
you need goldcard way .. same as me ( dutch )

pbx

Dec 20, 2009
Unable to root German G1 running Donut

Hi guys,

I am also running into trouble while trying to root my German G1 running Donut, after formatting my SD Card using FAT 32 (many different formatting actions tried - from phone, from windows explorer menu, from command line prompt).

Then I obtained a goldcard.img using the reversed cid (replaced first two characters from reversed version with 00) and wrote the image to my sdcard (connected through a card reader) using HxD.

The card was then inserted into the phone, the latter being then powered-on while pressing the camera button. At this point I do get the "rainbow" screen, it then shows a grey screen which first says "loading...", then "checking..." and then "0028002 not allow".

My sdcard is a 2 GB SanDisk, might there be a problem with this brand not being supported?

Is there anybody out there experiencing this issue with the G1 Donut using the goldcard method? I thought that the goldcard was supposed to fix these issues.

Or even better, *is* there anybody out there who has managed to root a German (or Continental European) G1 running stock Donut?

kartie

Apr 17, 2010
T-mobile G1
Firmware version 1.6
Baseband Version 62.50S.20.17U_2.22.19.26I
Kernel Version 2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37
android-build@apa26 #19
Build Number DRC92

Hi guys ,new in here.
I have a T-mobile G1 that i Bought From Germany But I live in Greece. I wanted to root and upgrade it into cyanogen but i had to downgrade it first into 1.5 or 1.0 . i tried many links and guides but i always get the 00028002 error and then the rainbow screen with the Serial0 error. many had the same problem but no clue ... Any Ideas??? i am 100% sure that the format of my SD is FAT32 but not sure about the file i download. i tried many.
Thanks in advance!And also tried the goldcard version.

on the Rainbow screen it shows these for me :

DREA110 PVT 32B
HBOOT-0.95.0000
CPLD-4
RADIO-2.22.19.26I

CoolSebas

Mar 20, 2010
Maarssen
Hi,
I wanted to root my Dutch G1 and I followed all thes steps. When
I put DREAIMG.NBH on my SD Card and restart my phone with camera+power buttons I get this;

"Loading", then "Not allow", and then it goes to the Rainbow-screen

DREA110 PVT 32B
HBOOT-0.95.0000
CPLD-4
RADIO-2.22.19.26I

I saw a lot of people having this problem, does someone know an solution for it?

My phone;

T-mobile G1
Firmware version 1.6
Baseband Version 62.50S.20.17U_2.22.19.26I
Kernel Version 2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37
android-build@apa26 #19
Build Number DRC92

Bytheway, this is what I got using an 4GB SanDisk Micro SD. I saw somewhere else that I had to use an 2GB SD, but with that one I couldn't even put DREAIMG.NBH on it, because I ad to format it again

Last edited:

meukbox

Jan 18, 2009
I have the same problem as CoolSebas.
Also a Dutch T-Mobile phone.
I bought it new and unused last week, the store had one left for sale.
With the 2 Gb SD card that was inserted in the phone I have the same problem as CoolSebas: right after pasting the part from the Goldcard.img Windows prompts me to format the card, so I couldnt put dreaimg.nbh on the card.
Besides the already slotted 2 Gb card there was also an 8 Gb extra SD card, and with that card I also get the "not allow" message after booting.
Exactly the same kernel, android and build version as his G1.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CoolSebas

Mar 20, 2010
Maarssen
Heel erg bedankt allemaal! Het is me eindelijk gelukt om m'n telefoon te rooten.

Maar ik heb nog één klein vraagje, ik zit namelijk vast in Android 1.0. HOE update ik mijn telefoon naar Android 2.2 (dit moet volgens mij kunnen)?

Ik heb erg veel geprobeert, maar ik wordt telkens doorverwezen naar een andere site, om telkens weer iets anders te installeren, updaten, etc. Wie kan mij helpen?

Als ik de instructies van dit topic volg, en ik WIPE m'n telefoon, dan start hij opnieuw op, net zoals bij een gewone recovery (opnieuw opstarten, Google-account invoeren, etc.). Daarna zet ik de telefoon uit, en start hem op in recovery-mode. Ik druk op Alt+S en TOT dan lijkt alles goed te gaan, ik krijg namelijk dit;

Installing from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
E:Can't find update script
Installation aborted.

Press Home+Back to reboot

Ligt dit aan de update die ik wil installeren (dat is trouwens de CyanogenMod-6 for Dream & Magic - V6.0.0) of moet ik eerst nog iets anders doen?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Update]
Oké, ik zit dus niet meer vast in Android 1.0, maar in 1.6... En volgens mij heb ik toch wel Root access. Nu is alleen de vraag: Hoe moet ik van 1.6 naar 2.2? Ik blijf verder zoeken naar een oplossing, maar als iemand iets heeft, dan hoor ik het graag...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Update]
OMG!! Het is me dan eindelijk gelukt! Ik heb Froyo om m'n G1 geïnstalleerd! Het duurde even, maar na een paar tutorials op youtube en via google staat de CyanogenMod 6 op m'n telefoon. Ik moest gewoon de update FLASHEN via recovery, en niet als update installeren (jullie zullen me wel dom vinden dat ik dat niet wist). Ik ben super blij, en ik wil iedereen hier erg bedanken!

Last edited: