OnePlus 5T: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup & More !!

Search This thread

SkandaH

XDA Portal Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
Xiaomi Poco F1
OnePlus 7T

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
@Funk Wizard

4.7.2 is live.

Changelog:
• Optimizations for fingerprint unlock
• Optimizations for face unlock
• Improved accuracy for screen off gestures
• Improved EIS during 4K video recording
• Wi-Fi WPA2 security patch (Krack vulnerability patch)
• General stability improvements and bug fixes

Download: http://otafsg1.h2os.com/patch/amazo...en_43_OTA_004_all_1711152324_9a7ca8ad1c7d.zip
Mirror: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817906626617948432

Thanks Buddy, i will update the thread post :fingers-crossed:

adamo86

Mar 5, 2009
If I unlock bootloader only do I have to backup efs

Last edited:

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2012
Castellana Grotte
toolaio.tk
Flashing TWRP Recovery

Wait until the phone has fully booted up into android, then adjust the following settings on the phone:

USB Debugging
On your phone go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging

Enable OEM Unlocking
On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option and make sure that from now on, OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot. Sometimes, it might get disabled itself.

Enable Advanced Reboot
On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'Advanced Reboot' option.

Download all the files, place SuperSU or Magisk on Device Internal Memory and TWRP img on your PC

Then boot it into fastboot/bootloader mode by holding volume up + power or selecting the reboot to bootloader via advanced reboot options.

Open a new command prompt in the same location and run the following commands:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery (file name).img

Once the flash has completed, Don't use the "Fastboot Reboot" Command Instead Unplug Your phone then Manually boot it into recovery by pressing the Vol Button for a couple of times till you see recovery in red ob the top and then hit the power button to reboot or you can also use the command:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img

PS: DO NOT BOOT IN OS JUST YET & CONTINUE TO THE ROOTING POST

Stock recovery extracted but not tested:
Compressed(Not tested but is should work) Version: https://mega.nz/#!ZCwzAboT!rPsKiUF8ymRcVk8G9rG2dHldIxwy-j0rCKanBylTi2o
Not compressed (Tested) version: https://mega.nz/#!sHhGiCTY!YPAAxq99xN8Y84GPpBw7HXANOk_q35lVXtx7h77HB7E

Thanks to @aryehzev to share his pc and give me the opportunity to extract it

I have also modified the already existent TWRP to work with stock rom without changing updater-script file you can find it here: https://mega.nz/#!BCoCRTpB!usM4EbxQBUnEBXQRc2wcmx0G6ZfobS0F-xQpPwteGUw

Last edited:

jlim0512

Jul 7, 2012
Compressed(Not tested but is should work) Version: https://mega.nz/#!ZfIzlKbY!rPsKiUF8y...j0rCKanBylTi2o
Not compressed (Tested) version: https://mega.nz/#!sHhGiCTY!YPAAxq99x...5lVXtx7h77HB7E

I have also modified the already existent TWRP to work with stock rom without changing updater-script file you can find it here: https://mega.nz/#!BCoCRTpB!usM4EbxQBUnEBXQRc2wcmx0G6ZfobS0F-xQpPwteGUw

What is the decryption key? Thanks in advance.

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
If I unlock bootloader only do I have to backup efs

That's optional but i recommend the same. Its just one time process and there on you can save the backup on the drive and continue to experiment with the device :fingers-crossed:

Compressed(Not tested but is should work) Version: https://mega.nz/#!ZfIzlKbY!rPsKiUF8y...j0rCKanBylTi2o
Not compressed (Tested) version: https://mega.nz/#!sHhGiCTY!YPAAxq99x...5lVXtx7h77HB7E

Thanks buddy, ill share the twrp on the OP for now until we get an official one :highfive:

So on the latest OOS 4.7.2 I will be installing this TWRP and will be rooting my 5t is it safe???

Yes that should be ok, no need to worry :good:

What is the decryption key? Thanks in advance.

Should be the same as your OS pin/password/pattern :fingers-crossed:

patou75

Feb 15, 2012
Paris
Simple question but...Magisk allows us to gain root without unlocking bootloader or flashing twrp (via magisk installer). So we can perform ota update through "official way".
We just need to obtain stock boot image and enter fastboot command. Can we take from full stock rom zip the stock boot image and make this happen ?

Thankls

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Simple question but...Magisk allows us to gain root without unlocking bootloader or flashing twrp (via magisk installer). So we can perform ota update through "official way".
We just need to obtain stock boot image and enter fastboot command. Can we take from full stock rom zip the stock boot image and make this happen ?

Thankls

You can test and let us know, do take a backup before you do that :fingers-crossed:

Normas Interruptor

May 3, 2013
New Delhi
Just got my OP5T, already unlocked the bootloader and rooted it!

Are you successfully rooted now?

Any issue?

I always facing internal storage issue with magisk whenever i do root with magisk my internal storage got blocked. It's showing "can't download due to sd card missing".

I searched that error on Google though and followed the same procedure but still same issue occuring everytime.

I have formatted data so many times with TWRP with command "Yes" but no solution.

I have tried since yesterday to root my OP5T but no luck yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: saleappeal

gianton

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
Thessaloniki
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Xiaomi Mi 9
Are you successfully rooted now?

Any issue?

I always facing internal storage issue with magisk whenever i do root with magisk my internal storage got blocked. It's showing "can't download due to sd card missing".

I searched that error on Google though and followed the same procedure but still same issue occuring everytime.

I have formatted data so many times with TWRP with command "Yes" but no solution.

I have tried since yesterday to root my OP5T but no luck yet.
So far everything is fine with Magisk v14.0. Flashed it with Bluspark recovery.

BTW coming from the OP5, the OP5T feels a more superior device, display is a beauty and face unlock is so easy to use!

Reactions: arjunarora

samtab37

Jun 24, 2014
Jaulnay
When i flash stock firmware with blu_spark TWRP (or Stock) i not boot to system, always reboot to recevery...
(I have wipe system)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OnePlus 5T: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup & More !!

KpX45yr.jpg

Q9IP5VP.png

3RVsG8v.png

Before you start, OTA up to the latest System Update available.
    Settings > System Updates > Download & Install the latest available

Thank You all for your support :highfive:
    Never Settle :fingers-crossed:
    IO5E67q.jpg

Introduction​

Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 3 main steps: ​

1. Unlocking the Bootloader
    2. Installing a Custom Recovery
    3. Gaining Root Access

Each new step relies on the previous step so please follow the entire process and a basic summary of each part is described as below:

Unlocking Bootloader​
    Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the phone.​

Installing a Custom Recovery​​
    A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and give you the ability to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your device (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.

Gaining Root Access​​
    You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom rom, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries or by Flashing Magisk Zip for a system less root. A custom recovery is necessary to do this.

After completing these steps your phone will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed and an unlocked bootloader. This, in my opinion, is the a practical and beneficial method for rooting your phone. It will give you some basic adb/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of the entire process. This method will work regardless of any android version on the phone.

If you are confused by anything in this guide, I highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in this thread and I or someone else will likely answer. Also we would suggest that you read over the whole thread a few times before actually doing anything to the phone.​
    Unlocking Bootloader

Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power or select reboot to bootloader if advanced reboot is activated via developer options. The phone will display "fastboot" text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.

Plug the phone into your PC, then open a command prompt window on the desktop (Shift + Right Click -> Open Command Window here) and type:

Code:
    fastboot devices

This command will list the connected devices. If your phones serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.

If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:

Remember this Step will WIPE EVERYTHING off the phone so Backup all your Data

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

x6hqaHU.jpg

You would be greeted with a Unlock Bootloader Warning page, Hit the Vol button to select Yes and turn it Blue and Hit the Power Button to Execute the selection

F4nUdpn.jpg

Your device will reboot, show you a Secure boot warning, reboot into stock recovery and wipe all data. Once done, your phone will reboot into the OS.

Please continue and follow the next post to install Custom Recovery
    Setup, Preparation & Prerequisites​​

Basic tasks that may be referred to throughout this guide:​
    Open Command Prompt: Press Shift + Right Click anywhere on the screen and select Open Command Window here

Enter Fastboot/Bootloader Mode: Turn the phone off. Hold volume up + power until the "fastboot" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot > Bootloader from the power menu.]

Enter Recovery Mode: Turn the phone off. Hold volume down + power until the "OnePlus Logo" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot -> Recovery from the power menu.]

ADB and Fastboot Installation​
    1. Download the ADB For Windows here Or Manually update Fastboot and ADB binaries from Here or Here

2. Run the .exe file downloaded from above as Administrator.
    3. Press 'Y' every time the installer asks for.
    4. Continue Driver Installation.

Now, ADB and Fastboot have been installed on your PC and should be Working as desired.

Things To Remember​
    Show File Extensions :good:
    Open a command prompt window and run "Control folders" (without the quotes). Go to the View tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This will help avoid confusion when renaming files.

Battery :good:
    Ensure that your phone has at least 60% battery remaining, and that your PC is plugged in and wont shut down spontaneously during the process. The procedure doesn't take very long , but its best to have enough charge in case something goes wrong.

Backup (Optional) :good:
    Unlocking the bootloader will/should completely wipe all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal sdcard (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files off the phone onto a PC or upload them to a cloud.

USB Debugging :good:
    On your phone go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging
    TgFMt8r.png
    Enable OEM Unlocking :good:
    On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option. Also make sure that from now on, OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot as sometimes, it might get disabled itself.
    w0FBHUM.png
    Enable Advanced Reboot :good:
    On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'Advanced Reboot' option.

x9QoU6C.png
    Flashing TWRP Recovery

Wait until the phone has fully booted up into android, then adjust the following settings on the phone:

USB Debugging

Enable OEM Unlocking
    On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option and make sure that from now on, OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot. Sometimes, it might get disabled itself.

Enable Advanced Reboot

Download all the files, place SuperSU or Magisk on Device Internal Memory and TWRP img on your PC

Then boot it into fastboot/bootloader mode by holding volume up + power or selecting the reboot to bootloader via advanced reboot options.

Open a new command prompt in the same location and run the following commands:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery (file name).img
    bS1H7cS.jpg

Once the flash has completed, Don't use the "Fastboot Reboot" Command Instead Unplug Your phone then Manually boot it into recovery by pressing the Vol Button for a couple of times till you see recovery in red at the top and then hit the power button to reboot

n026Oly.jpg

Alternatively you can also use the command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

PS: DO NOT BOOT IN OS JUST YET & CONTINUE TO THE ROOTING POST