[ROOT][SNAPDRAGON] SamFAIL for Galaxy Note8[V3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

me2151

Apr 12, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Since you said you're on B2 you can't use this root method because it's trying to downgrade the bootloader from B2 to B1 and it's never going to work.. The only thing you can do at this point is flash the B2 firmware so you can at least use your phone.

B2 firmware located here
B2 Firmware N950U1UEU2BQK1

Once my final exam is past i will be working on root for rev2.

android927

Feb 27, 2016
My Note 8 is already rooted. It's telling me that it wants to download a system update that includes "security updates and improvements". Will downloading this update break my root?

MrMike2182

Dec 6, 2014
Atlanta
My Note 8 is already rooted. It's telling me that it wants to download a system update that includes "security updates and improvements". Will downloading this update break my root?

Yes it will.. Use titanium backup and freeze "system updates"..

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Once my final exam is past i will be working on root for rev2.

Glad you're going to try to root rev2 but I'm not going to upgrade to rev2 because I bet rev2 was only put out to block your root method. It's not like there was much else that needed fixing via an update.

me2151

Apr 12, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Yes it will.. Use titanium backup and freeze "system updates"..

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Glad you're going to try to root rev2 but I'm not going to upgrade to rev2 because I bet rev2 was only put out to block your root method. It's not like there was much else that needed fixing via an update.

Yes thats exactly what it was.

Did you accept the rsa key on phone? Also you need to accept the supersu prompt.
I never got a super user prompt. rsa key? I must have missed or not read that. Is it a prompt or something i need to type on terminal.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Did you accept the rsa key on phone? Also you need to accept the supersu prompt.
I got that my device couldn't be recognized and it said that I needed to download android file transfer. And I never had an option for an RSA key

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I never got a super user prompt. rsa key? I must have missed or not read that. Is it a prompt or something i need to type on terminal.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

I got that my device couldn't be recognized and it said that I needed to download android file transfer. And I never had an option for an RSA key
Wait, do you have developer options enabled?
Once you fire up adb toolkit and click the adb devices tab you should get a prompt on your phone....select the "always" bubble and ok then proceed.....you may need to execute adb shell and/or even execute su command to get the prompt. Be sure phone isn't locked so you can see prompt.

Sent from my God Mode 8

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Without that rsa prompt you're gonna get nowhere

Sent from my God Mode 8

seandop

Apr 16, 2013
Reactions: Mr nerd

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
view
For some reason my internal storage is at 16GiB.
I'm assuming you got it sorted out...

Sent from my God Mode 8

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

How can we charge to 100%????
I'm gonna add this info again.

With phone charged up to anything less than a "full" 80%, plug in phone and power down, or power down then plug in phone. I wait for the battery charge circle to light up and then do the 3 finger press and hold (Volume Down + Bixby Button + Power Button) until you see the screen boot up to the screen giving you instructions to 'press up for Download mode, press down to Reboot). Do NEITHER leave phone on that screen to charge (from 79% it will take approx. 40 minutes.....if you can give it 50 minutes just cause 99 ain't 100% lol....plus the phone battery stats won't refresh until a 100% charge is reached).
When you're done charging SIMPLY TAP the Volume Down button and phone will boot directly to your system. Easy peasy.

*** note....screen can't be dimmed or turned off while charging....so 2 things to accept....1st screen is and will be bright..I lay mine face down on a microfiber cloth. 2nd people concerned by having a still image with text on their screen for a prolonged time may want to consider this. I have had 0 issues....

I do this at least 3 times a week.

Sent from my God Mode 8

dazemc

Oct 18, 2014
Enumclaw
I'm assuming you got it sorted out...

Sent from my God Mode 8

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

I'm gonna add this info again.

With phone charged up to anything less than a "full" 80%, plug in phone and power down, or power down then plug in phone. I wait for the battery charge circle to light up and then do the 3 finger press and hold (Volume Down + Bixby Button + Power Button) until you see the screen boot up to the screen giving you instructions to 'press up for Download mode, press down to Reboot). Do NEITHER leave phone on that screen to charge (from 79% it will take approx. 40 minutes.....if you can give it 50 minutes just cause 99 ain't 100% lol....plus the phone battery stats won't refresh until a 100% charge is reached).
When you're done charging SIMPLY TAP the Volume Down button and phone will boot directly to your system. Easy peasy.

*** note....screen can't be dimmed or turned off while charging....so 2 things to accept....1st screen is and will be bright..I lay mine face down on a microfiber cloth. 2nd people concerned by having a still image with text on their screen for a prolonged time may want to consider this. I have had 0 issues....

I do this at least 3 times a week.

Yes internal storage is all good now. Just wipe and restore.

frostysax

Jul 29, 2010
I appreciate you taking the time to write all of this, but I've already successfully rooted my phone, and few hours ago posted about it in the thread. My post with the steps I used is located a few posts above yours.... It's nice to see though that some people are willing to help to those who struggle. **Mod edit**

More details would help. Where do you get stuck and what is happening?
My phone is now stuck in upload mode! Will not go back into download mode!

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I'm some how stuck in upload mode. Got a Synchronous Exception Ir: sp: pc on the screen in small letters! Tried all kinds of combinations with the buttons and nothing! I held volume down+bixby+power for 10 minutes and still nothing! Can anyone shed some light on my situation.......?

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

I'm some how stuck in upload mode. Got a Synchronous Exception Ir: sp: pc on the screen in small letters! Tried all kinds of combinations with the buttons and nothing! I held volume down+bixby+power for 10 minutes and still nothing! Can anyone shed some light on my situation.......?

sandeep000009

Jan 29, 2016
I successfully rooted note 8 version U1 but I am experiencing very common freeze and reboot to upload mode (unknow error). Sometimes it happens very often sometimes after few hrs.

I do not know what is the problem. Attached status page of the phone.. Please help

I have to press volume down and power for it to reboot normally and things go fine until it starts freeze again and reboots itself

SlHCt

Last edited:
Reactions: loloudoudara
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 8/28/18 SamFAIL is officially depreciated. There is no new root method at this time and i will not be helping find another one. Bootloader V3 is the final version of SamFAIL for Note8. DO NOT PM ME ASKING FOR HELP!!!

Introducing:

SamFAIL!

Root for the USA Snapdragon Samsung Galaxy Note 8! (N950U,N950U1,N950W)

WARNING! The latest Note8 software update(U4XXXX) blocks samFail(All carriers.). DO NOT UPDATE IF YOU WANT ROOT!
    SamFAILv3 Has been Released There is an addititonal step in Part 1 for V3 ONLY.

Bootloader check guide(Green can be rooted, Red can not be rooted)
    Last 6 of firmware version(X can be different):
    U1XXXX=Bootloader V1
    U2XXXX or S2XXXX=Bootloader V2
    U3XXXX or S3XXXX=Bootloader V3

U4XXXX or S4XXXX=Bootloader V4
    U5XXXX or S5XXXX=Bootloader V5

Disclaimer 1: Although this method does not trip the "Knox Flag" you are still taking a risk by rooting your device. We are not responsible for your blazing fast smartphone with root! Let's hope this one doesn't catch on fire!
    DISCLAIMER 1.5: THIS IS NOT FOR EXYNOS OR CHINESE MODELS!

First and foremost, SHOUTOUTS!
    - @partcyborg for finding the root method!
    - @me2151 for testing on Note 8 and facilitating root on the Note 8!
    - @elliwigy for... Shenanigans! And thread template :)
    - @jrkruse For the deodexed system!
    - @Chainfire He will be missed! (no he is not dead, just retired.)
    - Samsung for the amazing phone and leaving rediculous loopholes open for us to root!

Disclaimer 2: The method to root should be pretty straight forward as the hard work has already been done for you. With that being said, you will need to know how to download files from the internet, extract a zip file and to use ODIN. That is basically it! Oh yea, BACK UP YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE AS THIS WILL ERASE IT! PLEASE BE SURE TO READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS THOROUGHLY BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP!

Prerequisites:
    - SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar/PIT File Zip (in Post #2)
    - SamFAIL Note 8 PART 2 Firmware Zip (also in Post #2)
    - Comsey ODIN and Normal ODIN (Found in Post #2 Aswell)(Normal ODIN is just in case)
    - Well your Note 8 of course, Need to be by a PC and ready to use Download Mode!

Part 1 Instructions:

IF YOU ARE ON U3(Rev3) bootloader you must Flash SamFAILv3_N8_FIRMWARE first THEN do part 1 THEN part 2 again. This IS a requirement. Not optional. Otherwise for U1 and U2 proceed as normal.
    1) Unzip the SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar and PIT File to your PC.
    2) Have Comsey ODIN up and ready. Place your Note 8 into Download Mode and Connect to PC
    3) In the AP slot, select the Pre-Rooted system.tar.
    4) Now go to the PIT tab(Click OK or close on the warning box) and click and navigate to the PIT file you also just downloaded and select it.
    5v6fyv.jpg

5) On the OPTIONS tab, you will select the following: Auto Reboot, F. Reset Time, NAND ERASE ALL, and Re-Partition.
    6) Once you have everything in place and the correct options selected, press START.
    7) ODIN will say FAIL at the end of the flash and the phone will have rebooted to upload mode saying "Unknow Error". Don't fret however, the system should have still been written!
    2zywydi.jpg

8) You will have to get the phone back into Download mode( Hold Power, VOL- and bixby together and the phone will reboot to download mode and tell you its in emergency mode. THIS IS NORMAL.) and then proceed to Part 2 Instructions!

Basic ODIN flashing here guys... Not rocket science!

Part 2 Instructions:

1) Download and Extract the SamFAIL Note 8 Part 2 Firmware Zip to your PC
    2) Click Reset in Comsey ODIN or close it out and re-open it so it is COMPLETELY cleared out
    3) Now select the firmware. BL goes in BL, AP goes in AP, CP goes in CP, dont press start yet!
    4) Now, this time we ARE NOT SELECTING A PIT FILE, We should just select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. DO NOT DO NAND ERASE ALL OR YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER.
    5) Once you got the partitions in place and the right options selected, Press Start!
    7) Once phone boots up, Setup your device as normal and proceed to the SuperSU app. It may ask you to update the SU Binary. Select Normal method and let it do its thing. Follow its instructions then SU should say it was Successful in updating and it needs to reboot(You may have to do it multiple times. I believe its 2 or 3 times then its good) ENJOY SamFAIL ROOT!

DISCLAIMER 3:
    * SamFAIL DOES NOT TRIP KNOX
    * Boot.img is SECURE which means you MUST use SYSTEM ROOT. (Similar to SamPWND)
    * This means that MAGISK DOES NOT WORK
    * Which also means SAFETY NET FAILS. So any apps you enjoy that require passing Safety Net will most likely not work while you are rooted with SamFAIL
    * Again, similar to SamPWND, this root method uses a factory binary boot.img which is necessary to boot the modified system. THIS MEANS BATTERY ONLY CHARGES TO 80% (Thanks Samsung.)
    * SamFAIL DOES NOT UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER AND DOES NOT SIM UNLOCK YOUR PHONE.
    * This *should* in theory, work for other Snapdragon Models of the Note 8. If you have another model and are successful please post so we can add "support" for other models.

Back to Stock?
    - Download the full STOCK firmware of your choice.
    - Flash it in ODIN/Comsey ODIN as you would any other time!
    - It will take a few reboots for the "custom" splash screen to go away.

[/CODE]

BUGS!:
    - Screen sometimes will be bugged out. Fix by turning screen off and back on. Caused by Factory boot files.
    - Possibility of Bixby Home crashing.
    - SuperSU may ask you to update it multiple times.

Donations:
    As always, the devs have been hard at work recently to bring you root. Donations are definitely NOT REQUIRED but if you feel generous and want to spot the devs a few bucks for their hard work you can donate to this Paypal Address:

Donations

DOWNLOADS will be in POST #2
    UPDATES will be in POST #3

As always, ENJOY ROOT and thank SamFAIL for making it all possible!

Telegram Group has been closed.

P.S. See why we called it SamFAIL now? Massive fail on Samsungs part.

XDA:DevDB Information
    SamFAIL, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (2017 Phone)

Contributors
    me2151, partcyborg, elliwigy, jrkruse

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: V2

Created 2017-10-08
    Last Updated 2018-08-28
    DOWNLOADS:

Main files:
    Odin
    ---------------------------------------------------
    SamFailv1= Bootloader Revision 1(u1)
    N8_SamFAIL_SYSTEM Deodexed
    N8_SamFAIL_FIRMWARE
    SamFailv2= Bootloader Revision 2(u2/s2) WARNING ONLY USE IF ON Rev2 Firmware. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BACK TO Rev1!
    N8_SamFAILV2_SYSTEM Odexed
    N8_SamFAILV2_FIRMWARE

SamFailV2.5= Bootloader Revision 2(u2/s2) WARNING ONLY USE IF ON Rev2 Firmware. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BACK TO Rev1!
    SamFailV2.5_N8_FIRMWARE
    SamFailV2.5_N8_SYSTEM_Deodex

SamFailV3= Bootloader Revision 3(u3/s3) WARNING ONLY USE IF ON Rev3 Firmware. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BACK TO Rev1 or Rev2!
    SamFailV3_N8_FIRMWARE
    SamFailV3_N8_SYSTEM_Deodexed
    ARE YOU READY KIDS??? Heres the news you all have been waiting for. Rev2 has been SamFAILED! I have full root with the SamFAIL method on U2 firmware. Based of Sprints U2BQJB Firmware. There is multicsc already included so there will not be the need for csc just as before. It is currently NOT deodexed. Thats on my todo list. But spread the joy. We have root after Samsung patched us out.

EDIT: This IS rooted however i want to test for a few days to look for bugs before release. This is more of a notice.
    EDIT2: Yes there is still the 80% battery bug. Dont ask about it. Each time someone asks about it im testing it one more day before i release it. So keep your mouths shut(and fingers of the keyboard) about it. :)
    Reserved

MINI UPDATE:
    CHANGLOG:
    SamFailv1:
    Initial release---
    Deodexed system
    better method

SamFailv2:
    Initial Release---
    Added support for incrimented bootloader Firmwares.
    Odexed
    Uses same method as Rev1

SamFailV2.5:
    Deodex
    Based on BQL5
    Camera fixed
    ATT Calling features fixed(ONLY IF YOU DO NOT FLASH A CSC) thanks to @jerrycoffman45
    VZW Custom CSCFeatures thanks to @louforgiveno
    ATT,SPR,TMO re-enabled callerID and spam protect.
    DO NOT FLASH CSC IF YOU WANT CUSTOM FEATURES!
    Setup freeze at checking for updates fixed.

SamFAILV3:
    Support for BLv3 Thanks to @ililaoban for confirming it still works on U3
    Deodex
    Based on BRA9(Jan Sec patch)

Mini Update#3:
    If on Oreo revert back to stock Nougat first. the oreo bootloader patches samfail.
    Guys. Ive already stated a new update will be coming soon(it eliminates ALOT of problems people have). It ALSO eliminates the need to flash csc. You All who are posting files just stop and wait til tomorrow. thats when the new stuff will be up Along with an updated guide.