Stupid Questions Thread - No question too stupid!

Search This thread

SystemDoctor

Apr 30, 2013
Manila
Decided that I would post here before making a thread.

So a friend gave me his SGH-I337. He said that he tried to root it and install a custom ROM but now it's stuck on the Galaxy S4 Logo at the start-up. He says he read and followed this guide. He apparently reached up to step 3.4 and after his phone rebooted, it got stuck on that screen. He tried booting into recovery but that wasn't an option because when he tried to do so, the phone would just reboot and get stuck on the S4 logo. So he looked at the files he downloaded and then tried to extract the I337_OC3_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip mentioned in the guide out of curiosity and he found out that the archive was corrupted but when he flashed it earlier it didn't seem to show any error. I've tried to boot the phone into Download Mode which still works however the phone doesn't get detected by Odin. He says that being detected by a PC was a hit or miss with the phone. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. What I want to know is that if it's possible to fix the USB port and if the phone is still salvageable. I can ask my friend for any further inquiries needed. Thanks in advance!

jcsdkx51

Dec 26, 2010
Navarre
Can I load LineageOS on the AT&T GS4?

Forgive me if this is answered somewhere already, I have done some googling but haven't seen much recent traffic on the issue and I've been out of the rooting/custom ROM game for a bit. I have an old S3 and S4 that I was going to try and setup on LineageOS for a family member who isn't really in a position to purchase a newer phone but I don't want them to be running terribly old Android software either. I see the AT&T S3 is compatible with LineageOS but everything I can find on the S4 mentions the carrier-locked bootloader. I have booted into recovery and the bootloader and have not seen anything that hinted at it still being locked, though I might not be looking in or at the right place. I also powered up holding Power + Vol Down and it took me to a screen that warned of loading custom software but provided instructions to continue if I wished. I know that LineageOS is not officially supported for the AT&T GS4 but some users had success porting one of the other supported builds. Any help in determining the bootloader status and possibility of unlocking or overriding this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

PaintedSkies

Mar 9, 2014
ready to flash again....

Hey all...
I liked the ROM I flashed (in this same thread, haha) a few years ago (Eudemony 4.2) and so I kept it, until now.

I REALLY want to be able to use Android Pay and play PoGo so I was looking at Resurrection Remix, which seems to be 7.1.2, but I'm not sure whether I can install it. It requires a "Lollipop friendly bootloader".

What does that mean, exactly? I never made any changes to my bootloader, so as far as I am aware, it's unlocked (I believe it came with the MDL bootloader - I never used SafeStrap last time I flashed it so I assume that's still true). Is that all I need to have to make this work, or am I best to stick with an earlier version of Android, then try to unroot/Magisk it? Can I just flash RR and expect it to probably work? Will I be able to revert to a nandroid of my current setup if I don't care for it?

Sorry for the questions, it's been ages since I touched anything on this phone because I had been fairly happy with it, so I'm a bit rusty....

cfli1688c1

May 10, 2012
i just bought an att s4, it on 5.01 with Baseband version I337UCUGOC4. is safestrap my only option? thanks.

zevans1

Jan 19, 2012
I've been using an Unlocked i337 with Simple Mobile carrier for the better part of a year now with zero issues, and happy with my 4G data working fine for a very long time until today when I seen my phone was only showing Edge data with the "E" indicator. I have tried searching and troubleshooting it, and nothing comes up. I recently rooted but 4G data was working just fine even after root. I have checked APN settings and toggled off and on. I went into the test menu and GSM/LTE is selected. I don't have any option in the settings menu to turn 4G off or on. What seems to be the problem?

Also for the record I have called Simple Mobile customer service for help but they can barely understand me let alone help me but they did check my account to see if any thing got adjusted and they resent OTA signal to my phone and every thing checked out fine. They just kept telling me restart my phone about 10 times.

Model: i337
Android Version: 4.2.2

If I haven't included any other crucial details let me know. Thanks

ElevyNJ

Jun 3, 2011
I have an AT&T branded S4 on Android 5.01 baseband is I337UCUG03 is there any way to remove the AT&T software from the phone? My carrier is T-Mobile. I know I can't install the T-Mobile image to this phone,

**Updated question**

From the reading I've done it seems because I am on OC3 I can root the phone, install SafeStrap then install Wicked because https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448925 shows Wicked as an accetable ROM ro I am misunderstanding this?

Last edited:

LoneWolfSK

Feb 2, 2015
www.facebook.com
Hi all, I am unable to install any custom recovery to Sony Xperia Z. How to do it? The bootloader is unlocked but I don't seem to be able to install any custom recovery in order to install custom roms. Many thanks.

Reactions: philemmons

iamqaisarkhan

Mar 13, 2017
Bahawalpur
Hi Everyone... These days I'm trying to install Samsung Galaxy S4 's stock camera app on LineageOS 14.1 that I've installed on Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. If anyone knows about this, please help me.

Apr 29, 2016
how can i get super su root on gs4 at&t and install twrp recovery on lolipop .... i have readed all threads for 3 days and until now i cant do it
psz help ..

flashfire don't flash with me stuck on at&t logo

Last edited:

7ravler

Dec 10, 2011
New Jersey
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
Root My AT&T SGH-i337 (MDL Base)

:( My old AT&T Galaxy s4 MDL Base
I had my s4 rooted and running iBastids Goldfinger ROM. It worked flawlessly! I had a case of temporary insanity and Odinned it back to stock AT&T 4.2.2 . Now I cannot get root back. I do notice a line in download mode saying "Write Protect:Enabled" Could that be a problem? I want to install another lollipop ROM but none of the methods above work any more. The towelroot apk will not download to my phone. When I download it to my PC and transfer it to my phone via usb and try to install I get "There is a problem parsing the package" error. I cannot get root again! Is there a rooted build I can just Odin on my phone or something. (They said there are no stupid questions here) :p
I hope I can get root back....I need an extra phone to play Pokemon Go with

joe7dust

Nov 14, 2010
Debloater doesn't work for me after root. I was on OK3 5.0.1 OTA/stock, then I was too heavy handed in debloating without root and it never booted again after I tried to hide over 100 packages, just would only show ATT logo. I was able to boot into recovery and factory reset and and flash NB1 with Odin in order to root, then flashed OK2.

Now I am kind of back to square one, still have a ton of bloatware. Only difference is I have root now, so should be easier yes? Nope, even though I get one more little green light in debloater (root mode), it actually seems quite useless. No packages are even listing.

I just want to remove as much running things as possible while still having a functioning device, so think slim/clean rom style. Things like Gallery popping up wanting permission to access Picasa for every google account are no thanks.

Tiger Trading 2022

Aug 2, 2022
Hello I have this version GS4 and was following this thread

I got to the point of installing both Towelroot and SuperSU. I was not able to get SuperSU from Google and downloaded a version from their site. (SuperSU 2.82 apk
SuperSU opens and shows root not detected. Also FlashFire will not work since no root. I got no errors when installing Towelroot and SuperSU but the Know warning to restart comes up and I do disable over and over before the install. I have tried this path twice now> What am I doing wrong or is there another path. I need this to run Lollipop or newer or Linux would be fine. I just use it for CCTV

y2kyasir

Jun 29, 2014
need a bit of help and this thread is too long but quite helpful too
so my phone s4 sgh i337 atnt
I was going through the posts and realized how helpful people here were to a noob like me who helped me to install a stock custom rom i think i forgot to turn off the updates or something apprently my phone was initially stuck in bootloader the atnt now it wont even show the atnt logo keeping my fingers crossed that i havent screwed my phone
My phone can go in the android system recovery <3e>
LRX22C. I337UCUGOC3

if i am not wrong i cant just install any custom rom since bootloader is still locked i dont know for sure

in the screen below
#manual mode#
--applying multi-csc
applied the csc-code: ATT
Successfully applied multi - CSC

what have i tried uptill now
just wipe data/factory reset

can you help ?

braliafrica

May 2, 2011
Hi there, help please
Does a factory unlocked mobile mean bootloader can definitely be unlocked. I have seen mobiles advertised as unlocked but are carrier unlocked - the bootloader cannot be unlocked.
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards
Brian

Alex_Jamieson

Dec 12, 2018
Phone stuck in SetupWizard loop

After I performed a factory reset on my rooted AT&T Galaxy S4, It got stuck in a SetupWizard loop. A few seconds after booting, Phone would crash. If I entered text into the First Name or Last Name field, Google Accounts Manager would crash. When I get to the email screen, none of the options would respond, and tapping Next would cause Samsung Setup Wizard to crash. There is no SIM card inserted, nor do I have one to insert, and only the default 3e recovery is installed.

Last edited:

rootkitty

Nov 3, 2013
Are there any decent choices for Canadians looking for a private phone?

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S5, with LineageOS-MicroG 18.1 (and shelter to sandbox/hibernate the spyware apps that I only need to run occasionally). It does everything I need to do, has a real earphone jack and changeable battery (on it's 3rd battery!).

It appears that Telus is making changes so that this hardware is no longer compatible with network and I am going to be forced into an upgrade.

I'm not overly worried about 5G at the moment, but it appears that VoLTE and VoWiFi are going to become important features. I was on vacation this summer, and VoLTE was the only way to get coverage in some areas.

I don't care about the latest and greatest/Flagship phones--especially now that all phones are sealed batteries, the manufacturers have guaranteed that a phone is junk in about 3 years because the battery wears out.

Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I should do to replace my phone? Any forum anyone can suggest where I am likely to find a high concentration of Canadians who know the market in Canada for Carriers/Phone supply sources?

YeetBoi

Dec 21, 2018
Paranaque
I think legacy and 0 folders are both consuming space

Everytime I download an app it's size doubles.

For example I downloaded a game that's around 30mb but in my storage it says it consumes 80mb. I checked the game folder and it only consumes 34.9mb and the game's folder is both on legacy and 0. Also another thing is my Miscellaneous files in Storage says 1.24gb but when I check the contents and add them up it's only about 3mb.

Any idea how to fix this? I really need more space. ;-;

ex4722

Jan 13, 2018
I have this device and I used to use it a lot but then I got a new device. Recently I wanted to start rooting so used this device as a dummy. Instead of flashing Malik’s I flashed the update package or something like that for magisk and bricked device. Got that fixed by wiping stuff in twrp but when over board and wipes the os. Now when I boot j to recovery it does not happen and I’m stuck as boot logo. I don’t need any of the information on the old phone so I am wondering if anyone can help?
Ps I was running team win on it and it’s the Samsung s4 stat model.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought we could benefit from having a stupid questions thread here in the S4 Q&A section. This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or very simple question. Please read through the forum threads and use the search first. Lets all work together to give answers where we can without speculating. If you don't know, don't answer. If you do, let's get these stupid questions out there and answered!

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Any flaming will be reported. All XDA rules apply so read up.

Props to @lumin30 and @ShadyAce80 for setting this up in the S 4G and S3 forums where I first found them. Cheers!
    The only stupid question is the one that never got asked!

I am giving a thanks also.
    Any lollipop for safestrapp users yet?
    Not yet. You'll see the announcements, I'm sure.
    Did they give up on trying to unlock the Bootloader on the AT&T/Verizon S4? or is it still a work in progress?
    Still a work in progress. Still just as difficult.
    Been wondering why all ROMs aren't created to flash in Odin. It works for un-bricking, returning to stock and many other uses so why not flash all ROMs this way? Why flash through recovery? Is it hard to create custom ROMs that are Odin flashable? Why?? Thanks in advance for your replies.
    You can't create ODIN flashable ROMs for all devices, since those with a locked bootloader can't flash it. It's also easier to create a flashable zip than an ODIN package.
    hey guys, im a avid flasher on my s2 but just got my s4 today and was wondering if i can just odin the latest twrp and flash the latest supersu.zip to gain root?

on 4.4.2
    Baseband 1337MVLUFNl2
    build KOT49H.1337mVLUFNl2

also would the twrp version be jfltecan ?

thanks guys

not use to submiting noob q's lol

Edit: btw with koodo, and sim locked to koodo. Not sure if that matters or not

You should be able to do that, and yes it should be jfltecan.
    This is where I show my inexperience.
    With cwm 6.0.3.2 I did from the menu:
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Wipe dalvik cache

That first one should be the format, right? Or is there another one I missed?

first, make sure you have a backup and your rom/gapps on a micro sd card. thats my soapbox
    wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, format system, format /data.
    flash rom/gapps, reboot.
    You touched my heart..:(
    I want vision x rom but I am new to samsung and I hav at&t sgh i337 about which many were saying if I put custom in it it will brick
    No one guided me and I am fear of bricking my device

Loki is the bootloader workaround for MDB and MDL, all other versions Loki is patched. Knox is Samsung's secure corporate security crap.

Alright...

So here's what you'll do:

Root it with Casual:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297900

You could use CF-Root but it add to the binary counter in download mode
    The process will also load TWRP recovery, but an older version.

Download Vision ROM for I-337, and an AT&T 4.4.2 Kernel such as KT (Lokied), and Loki-Doki and put them on your SD

Update your TWRP with this link, you just flash it in recovery.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2262996

Reboot Recovery
    Perform the wipes, which are:
    Factory Reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik Cache
    Format /system

Flash the ROM, Kernel, and Loki-Doki, I'm not sure if that ROM has Loki applied or not.

Loki-Doki:
    http://tau.shadowchild.nl/files/loki-doki.zip