Vodafone UK - Update available is NTO Froyo

Search This thread

pgregg

Nov 6, 2006
System Update on a Contract Vodafone HTC Desire (unbranded and unlocked) has just presented me with a System Upgrade 1.24.161.3 (19.31MB).

For anyone considering this - this is NOT Froyo. It is an update that WILL BRAND your phone with a Vodafone startup screen, various Vodafone apps, etc.

I think, I'll be going to flash to stock ROM route now.

seymansey

Aug 3, 2010
Can anyone confirm if this does anything silly like simlocks the phone also. I know the Vodafone UK phones were unlocked but had a vodafone branded rom.

elfangor

Jan 7, 2007
London
i really wish i knew this afew hours ago! got all excited about an OTA update and didn't bother reading what it said!

Now ive got a beautiful Desire with Vodafone Bloatware!

I think ill be going towards the debranding route! make my life easier!

El

May 5, 2007
ok can anyone point me in the direction of a guide that works for my phone then which is as stated above, now on the latest vodaphone update.

i can confirm that it doesnt lock your phone, as mine is on three.co.uk.

cheers

goenie

Nov 23, 2007
I saw the update on my branded vodafone and installed it.
then saw the red crap on the phone.
then i want to debrand the phone.
but now one problem i have version 1.24.161.3 installed and when i want to install
RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed with gold card inserted i get cannot install older.
any solution ?

C_S_R

May 10, 2010
London
This is bullsh*t!, i just wasted 10mb of data downloading this thinking i was finally getting froyo only to now have vodafone cr*p plastered all over my phone.

So thats why we havent got froyo yet... your too busy making updates that advertise for you & plaster your logos all over our phones than actually giving us a propper manufactuers update that was released by htc!

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

AndyChecker

Jan 21, 2006
Huawei P40 Pro
I am currently reading how to use the unrevoked3 software to dump all this new Vodafone crap - any issues with using this with 0.80 loader and 1.24.161.3?

rob81h

May 30, 2009
Someone should complain directly to Vodafone, As they including their eforum staff have pushed the Desire as a "Unbranded" handset!!! there must be something trading standards can do?

steveapp

Jun 8, 2006
Durham
www.dur.ac.uk
Someone should complain directly to Vodafone, As they including their eforum staff have pushed the Desire as a "Unbranded" handset!!! there must be something trading standards can do?

I agree it's not right, but I'm fairly sure there is a line in e contract that allows it, on the plus side it is probably something the had to release to confirm it works on froyo, fingers crossed froyo with a week, and I may debrand if it doesn't arrive or the new icons annoy me too much

rob81h

May 30, 2009
LOL is their a BIG Vodafone splash screen on start up with this "update"? As far as i'm aware Vodafone did push the phone as "unbranded" it went something like this.

Week one of the desire's release:"The HTC desire is completely unbranded as are many of our handsets now, As we feel this is what our customers want".

Couple of weeks later:
Concerned customer: "Hang on, whats this vodafone scene?"
Eforum staff: I'll look into it!
Forum member: "Yeah the software versions differant as well"
Concerned customer: "Well thats odd, i was told by vodafone and numerous sites/forums the vodafone desire was completely unbranded, thats why i went with vodafone!"
Eforum staff:Well errrmmm well arr errmmm, as far as i know it is!!!"

Not my story just how i see it!!:eek:

freefall2

Aug 3, 2010
I saw the update on my branded vodafone and installed it.
then saw the red crap on the phone.
then i want to debrand the phone.
but now one problem i have version 1.24.161.3 installed and when i want to install
RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed with gold card inserted i get cannot install older.
any solution ?

I did the exact same thing with the same stock ROM above and have the same version above. Took me 2 hours to get to the final stage (as I am new to this) and then it failed. I have read elsewhere that Vodafone have done something to it so you can't debrand it.

Hi all! New here but will no doubt be around more.

rob81h

May 30, 2009
I did the exact same thing with the same stock ROM above and have the same version above. Took me 2 hours to get to the final stage (as I am new to this) and then it failed. I have read elsewhere that Vodafone have done something to it so you can't debrand it.

Hi all! New here but will no doubt be around more.
Which HBOOT version is the new update? try rooting it with Unrevoked then flash any old 2.1 rooted rom, then make goldcard and flash HTC RUU!;)

AndyChecker

Jan 21, 2006
Huawei P40 Pro
Ok all. I installed the crap Vodafone update today and have since rooted and installed a new custom rom as I am not having Vodafone crippling MY Desire when they feel like it so this is how I did it:

1. Download Unrevoked 3 here: http://unrevoked.com/recovery/
  2. Follow these instrcutions to use it: http://rootmydroid.co.uk/guides/desire/howto-root-your-htc-desire/
  3. Choose which new ROM you want - I have gone for this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=732246
  4. Follow instructions on how to load a custom ROM here: http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/07/how-to-load-a-custom-rom-on-the-htc-desire/ and in the ROM authors thread
  5. Pat yourself on the back when you have finally got back to a nice, unbastardised ROM AND you are on the Vodafone network.

chili1496

Jul 7, 2010
my phone came from carphone warehouse k and is on a vodafone contract/sim
i got the update on sunday morning it was 90mb and no vodafone stuff was involved in the install

freefall2

Aug 3, 2010
AndyChecker - thanks for that. I am going to go through that method now. Have you since got FroYo?

AndyChecker

Jan 21, 2006
Huawei P40 Pro
Yeah mate am on Froyo now. All seems good so far.

Pain in the arse having to set things up again but good thing is if you use all the Google services they all get pulled down when you fiirst sync anyways. Have lsot 4 hours of my life tonight due to fecking Vodafone but on a positive note I am back on XDA posting which is something I haven't done for a while due to the stock Desire Rom being sooo much better than the old Win Mo ROMS.

C_S_R

May 10, 2010
London
So far this junk has spamed my phone with...

a massive voda logo at boot up (which has removed htcs own "quietly brilliant" boot screen)

changed my default web homepage to vodas 360 page

Flooded my bookmarks with junk i didnt have bookmarked before

installed multiple apps like voda web browser, voda music store, voda app/game store & 360 updates app! None of which am i able to uninstall!

Updated my sms app so it displays the number of messages next to the message header

Changed "people" to htc people

Reactivated sync on stocks even though it was dasabled before.

Placed a click link to the voda music store in the stock mp3 player

Taken up over 10mb of internal memory!

Damn you vodafone!

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App