NORDICTRACK ELITE 9500 PRO Treadmill w/ 10" Android Tablet

Search This thread

eagle132

Feb 22, 2010
I have a feeling that no one here can help me but I have a Nordictrack c2450 (2012) that seems to be flat out broken. About 6 months ago I got the treadmill and followed the steps posted earlier to get aptoid and a side launcher installed so that I could install an XBMC remote, but that never ended up being used. I haven't accessed the android menu since, and used the treadmill many times.

Last week I noticed the treadmill's screen was on the default, blank android home screen as I walked by it. It is never like that so I rebooted it, and it went right back to the android home screen- no iFit launch or anything.

I am not sure what happened since just over a week ago I went for a run on this treadmill. Suddenly it seems that the iFit software is gone or at least not booting? Because of this literally none of the buttons work on the treadmill and it is completely unusable.

There is no visible usb port on the c2450, but I am not sure if there is one if I start to disassemble the main console. Could I try flashing the 2150 firmware from the usb key posted in an earlier post on this thread or would it be different? I'm at a loss here, it just isn't working.

Thanks for any assistance anyone might be able to give me.

EDIT: I fixed it after finding a random support page from iFit. Was like a needle in a haystack, but it is actually quite easy and quick:

https://ifit.zendesk.com/entries/21426184-reininstall-the-ifit-app-manually

Maybe it can help someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: c0ns0le

banishedskull

Jun 5, 2010
Lets get more out of these

I am going to throw out the offer again to any developers that would be interested. I have both 10" and 7" screens that I would donate to the cause. I'm sure that we could do a lot more with these tablets if we had a dev working on it.

c0ns0le

Oct 28, 2010
Houston
I have a feeling that no one here can help me but I have a Nordictrack c2450 (2012) that seems to be flat out broken. About 6 months ago I got the treadmill and followed the steps posted earlier to get aptoid and a side launcher installed so that I could install an XBMC remote, but that never ended up being used. I haven't accessed the android menu since, and used the treadmill many times.

Last week I noticed the treadmill's screen was on the default, blank android home screen as I walked by it. It is never like that so I rebooted it, and it went right back to the android home screen- no iFit launch or anything.

I am not sure what happened since just over a week ago I went for a run on this treadmill. Suddenly it seems that the iFit software is gone or at least not booting? Because of this literally none of the buttons work on the treadmill and it is completely unusable.

There is no visible usb port on the c2450, but I am not sure if there is one if I start to disassemble the main console. Could I try flashing the 2150 firmware from the usb key posted in an earlier post on this thread or would it be different? I'm at a loss here, it just isn't working.

Thanks for any assistance anyone might be able to give me.

EDIT: I fixed it after finding a random support page from iFit. Was like a needle in a haystack, but it is actually quite easy and quick:

https://ifit.zendesk.com/entries/21426184-reininstall-the-ifit-app-manually

Maybe it can help someone else.

Like a boss....... TY.

Bump...

I just purchased the 9700 series. It's running Android 2.2 and I was able boot into safe, install z4root and Smart Taskbar. Having issues finding Froyo compatible apps (Aptoide, Shiwbox and Sling Player) the ones I've found online are not compatible with Froyo (pic attached).. If someone has a link or APK for Aptoide, Showbox or Slingplayer (I own a copy of this software) that is Froyo compatible, I would greatly appreciate the help!

Anyone successfully install the Play Store without killing the allotted drive space?

8537a0c040e84432faade4a450757175.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DetCochese

Aug 16, 2010
Unmarked Rustbox
Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread but I just wanted to say thanks.

My brand new X9i incline trainer is a whole lot more fun now. I got the Smart task bar installed. I just got Kindle up and running which was my primary reason for doing this. Next, maybe gapps to get Google music to stream? And maybe Nexflix and Amazon Video so wifey can watch her shows. More tinkering tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

downsay

Jul 11, 2010
Springfield
Thanks for all of this info.
I have a NordicTrack C1750 (as several others have mentioned). I opened up the back of my tablet, placed a micro SD card so that I could install to it. However, no matter what I do, I cannot get the tablet to recognize or allow me to mount the SD card.

Any suggestions? Without being able to mount the SD card, I cannot install any applications:(

Thank you in advance!

BRANDENDEUCE

Jul 8, 2008
Reno
Android Wear
T-Mobile LG G4
Thanks for all of this info.
I have a NordicTrack C1750 (as several others have mentioned). I opened up the back of my tablet, placed a micro SD card so that I could install to it. However, no matter what I do, I cannot get the tablet to recognize or allow me to mount the SD card.

Any suggestions? Without being able to mount the SD card, I cannot install any applications:(

Thank you in advance!
Try using app2sd

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using XDA-Developers mobile app

downsay

Jul 11, 2010
Springfield
Try using app2sd

I agree that I think app2sd should be able to take care of this; I'm just running out of ideas on how to get app2SD installed so that I can do this.

Where I stand:
My SD card is recognized by my computer, not my nordictrack tablet. I do not have any other phones or devices besides my windows computers that have an SD or microSD card slot.
I have successfully moved the app to my SD card, named latest.apk, which comes from Icon; however, I never "installed" the app to my SD card.
How do I install the app to my SD card rather than just having the APK located on it?
If I use app2SD or something equivalent to do this (which I believe I likely do), how do I use app2SD on a windows computer to install the app on my SD card?

Thank you VERY much for your assistance, I am very grateful.

BRANDENDEUCE

Jul 8, 2008
Reno
Android Wear
T-Mobile LG G4
I agree that I think app2sd should be able to take care of this; I'm just running out of ideas on how to get app2SD installed so that I can do this.

Where I stand:
My SD card is recognized by my computer, not my nordictrack tablet. I do not have any other phones or devices besides my windows computers that have an SD or microSD card slot.
I have successfully moved the app to my SD card, named latest.apk, which comes from Icon; however, I never "installed" the app to my SD card.
How do I install the app to my SD card rather than just having the APK located on it?
If I use app2SD or something equivalent to do this (which I believe I likely do), how do I use app2SD on a windows computer to install the app on my SD card?

Thank you VERY much for your assistance, I am very grateful.
You can't. It has to be installed on the main sd. Then after formatting the sd card before putting it in with the correct partitions it should read the external card. Use eausus partition program on Windows to set up the external sd with the partitions.

Last edited:

siskiou

May 22, 2011
Awesome thread! Thanks for all the info!
I can get into the android desktop and have installed Smart Taskbar and App2SD.
Anything else i try to install either has a parsing error, or won't fit.
There is supposedly 2GB sd card space, that I cannot access to copy to, even with App2SD.
Any ideas how to access that space? What is it even there for if it can't be used?
If I add a micro sd to the slot, android boots from it, even if it is an empty sd card, and the card does not show up in the settings.

Also, the browser constantly has issues with supposedly outdated security certificates, even though time and date are set correctly, and thecertificate is within date.
The browser won't allow me to go to many websites, and often tells me it is outdated.
Netflix, for example.
Thanks for any help/ideas1

Last edited:

Aqua1ung

Jun 17, 2010
Got me a brand new NordicTrack Elliptical Commercial 14.9 (NTEL71517). Followed instructions, installed Smart Taskbar. Big thanks to whomever discovered this hack! Currently looking to tweak some of the built-in workout routines. Looks like they're all hosted on s3.amazonaws.com. I am guessing, however, that they should be downloaded/cached somewhere locally, as I cannot imagine one needs an internet connection to do one's workout. Any idea where these might be hosted locally?

Anyway, thank you all for your pioneering work! Someone should post a quick tutorial in the OP with steps on how to hack this machine. Here's a beginning:
  1. Turn on machine.
  2. Once you see ANDROID appear in the center of the screen, hold the menu button pressed ("the dashes button that is between the home and back buttons on the console") until you see "Unable to load widget" on the screen. This launches safe mode, hence bypasses the loading of the iFit application that steals focus.
  3. Go to settings, and enable side loading.
  4. Launch browser and download Smart Taskbar (or plug in a USB dongle containing the Smart Taskbar apk file to the USB port).
  5. Install Smart Taskbar.
  6. Reboot after installing Smart Taskbar.
  7. Allow normal boot up, no safe mode required. You'll notice the trademark Smart Taskbar arrow on the screen. Launch Smart Taskbar. You're in. Feel free to kill the iFit process to restore Android desktop.
  8. Next: root (how?) + install apps to USB dongle (how?). Someone else, please detail these steps.

Many thanks again!

chuck1026

Sep 15, 2013
Syracuse
Got me a brand new NordicTrack Elliptical Commercial 14.9 (NTEL71517). Followed instructions, installed Smart Taskbar. Big thanks to whomever discovered this hack! Currently looking to tweak some of the built-in workout routines. Looks like they're all hosted on s3.amazonaws.com. I am guessing, however, that they should be downloaded/cached somewhere locally, as I cannot imagine one needs an internet connection to do one's workout. Any idea where these might be hosted locally?

Anyway, thank you all for your pioneering work! Someone should post a quick tutorial in the OP with steps on how to hack this machine. Here's a beginning:
  1. Turn on machine.
  2. Once you see ANDROID appear in the center of the screen, hold the menu button pressed ("the dashes button that is between the home and back buttons on the console") until you see "Unable to load widget" on the screen. This launches safe mode, hence bypasses the loading of the iFit application that steals focus.
  4. Launch browser and download Smart Taskbar (or plug in a USB dongle containing the Smart Taskbar apk file to the USB port).
  7. Allow normal boot up, no safe mode required. You'll notice the trademark Smart Taskbar arrow on the screen. Launch Smart Taskbar. You're in. Feel free to kill the iFit process to restore Android desktop.
  8. Next: root (how?) + install apps to USB dongle (how?). Someone else, please detail these steps.

Many thanks again!

This is very encouraging! I just set up our new c2950 (2017) and the first thing I noticed was the 22" tablet is Android based... the trouble is at / during boot I don't see any back, home or menu icons... no dash. It would be great to be able to use VLC to play MP4's from the USB port on the side of the console assembly while exercising! There must be a way to crack this thing!

Aqua1ung

Jun 17, 2010
This is very encouraging! I just set up our new c2950 (2017) and the first thing I noticed was the 22" tablet is Android based... the trouble is at / during boot I don't see any back, home or menu icons... no dash. It would be great to be able to use VLC to play MP4's from the USB port on the side of the console assembly while exercising! There must be a way to crack this thing!
Those are hardware buttons, they're not on the screen. You'll see a button labelled with a stylized house. To its right you should have a menu (bunch of dashes atop each other) that's the one you should hold hold down during boot.

chuck1026

Sep 15, 2013
Syracuse
Those are hardware buttons, they're not on the screen. You'll see a button labelled with a stylized house. To its right you should have a menu (bunch of dashes atop each other) that's the one you should hold hold down during boot.

I just looked again. No Android icons (no stacked bars for menu, nothing_ on the 22" screen or surround?!?
NTL19117_galleryd@2x-2.jpg

chuck1026

Sep 15, 2013
Syracuse

Yes, I was looking for those icons. They're not printed or displayed anywhere on the console. Thanks for the picture but the 2017 Commercial 2950's 22" display and bezel don't seem to have them. Dead in the water until I can find where they're hidden.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Yes, I was looking for those icons. They're not printed or displayed anywhere on the console. Thanks for the picture but the 2017 Commercial 2950's 22" display and bezel don't seem to have them. Dead in the water until I can find where they're hidden.

So I went to maps and edit... along with the keyboard I found them
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4sCTPz1HjCym0TGm2 .

Too bad when I use any of them long press etc... I get nowhere --- when I press menu the background looks like Lollipop though https://photos.app.goo.gl/VE9vmOg5BH2bRtWE3 .

They don't appear during boot... getting closer but not there yet!

chuck1026

Sep 15, 2013
Syracuse

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

So I went to maps and edit... along with the keyboard I found them
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4sCTPz1HjCym0TGm2 .

Too bad when I use any of them long press etc... I get nowhere --- when I press menu the background looks like Lollipop though https://photos.app.goo.gl/VE9vmOg5BH2bRtWE3 .

They don't appear during boot... getting closer but not there yet!
I got in. Turned on USB debugging... Can load apps but sadly Netflix won't run. Maybe root? Need to extract the iFit apps just in case.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

chuck1026

Sep 15, 2013
Syracuse
I got in. Turned on USB debugging... Can load apps but sadly Netflix won't run. Maybe root? Need to extract the iFit apps just in case.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Okay, I spoke with tech support today, which was very disappointing.

My neighbors heavy use of 2.4GHz have sucked up channels 1, 6 and 11... Buffering is an issue. I countered by moving my 2.4/5.0 WAP directly behind the treadmill. Now the bluetooth heart monitor craps out after 5 or so minutes of connecting. I suspect the 2.4GHz WAP is too damn strong in that close proximity.

My latest quest is to identify if the hardware has the capability to connect to a 5GHz wifi network because in settings only 2.4GHz is available. That seems crazy for a modern android tablet (or is it modern)? Plan B is to unlock use of the USB port to utilize a OTG USB to ethernet adapter so I can hardwire to the treadmill.

snapper245

May 19, 2005
Florida
Okay, I spoke with tech support today, which was very disappointing.

My neighbors heavy use of 2.4GHz have sucked up channels 1, 6 and 11... Buffering is an issue. I countered by moving my 2.4/5.0 WAP directly behind the treadmill. Now the bluetooth heart monitor craps out after 5 or so minutes of connecting. I suspect the 2.4GHz WAP is too damn strong in that close proximity.

My latest quest is to identify if the hardware has the capability to connect to a 5GHz wifi network because in settings only 2.4GHz is available. That seems crazy for a modern android tablet (or is it modern)? Plan B is to unlock use of the USB port to utilize a OTG USB to ethernet adapter so I can hardwire to the treadmill.

Just for a funny test, you could create a faraday cage around the combined wifi and treadmill. A simple box box lined with aluminum foil should do the trick. Isolate that the issue is external to your system.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: chuck1026

chuck1026

Sep 15, 2013
Syracuse
Just for a funny test, you could create a faraday cage around the combined wifi and treadmill. A simple box box lined with aluminum foil should do the trick. Isolate that the issue is external to your system.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking of just moving the WAP away slowly in stages... then out of the room and seeing what happens, but I like your suggestion!

Still, the hardware is unknown... I guess Nordictrack leaves me no choice but to grab some tools and peak, then use the info to research.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it turns out on the newest ones there's a very easy easy to get into it.

Go to the settings mode, go to maintenance - then in the spot below the options there is a bunch of grey space.

Tap the same spot 10 times.
    Wait 5-7 seconds
    Tap the same spot 10 more times.

It will then pop up that "privileged mode is enabled"

When you enable it, you can drag down from the top and get access to the menu bar and go into android settings. You can also swipe up from the bottom and get to the default apps - it has a browser, camera, ifit admin, and the ifit cardio.

USB debugging was already enabled for me as was unknown sources - I'm not sure if that's because I activated privileged mode or not.

You can pair Bluetooth devices with it from the settings - I think it only works to send OUT sounds - it would be nice if you could connect audio to it via Bluetooth (they added that in the latest models, mind still just has aux in)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Ok, it gets _even better_

after running nmap on my device's IP address, I saw it had 3 ports opened... 5009, 5555, 5000...

On a hunch, I decided to check if 5555 was setup for ADB in tcp mode... turns out it is.

`adb connect #.#.#.#:5555` (where the #'s are the IP address) works like a charm.

then `adb shell` - comes back with a _root shell_

`|root@byt_t_crv2:/ # `

I'm sure 5555 was open before I did the tapping-on-the-window thing, so it looks like these things _ship_ with TCP ADB enabled into a root shell for you.

1. Turn on machine.

Many thanks again!
    Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread but I just wanted to say thanks.

My brand new X9i incline trainer is a whole lot more fun now. I got the Smart task bar installed. I just got Kindle up and running which was my primary reason for doing this. Next, maybe gapps to get Google music to stream? And maybe Nexflix and Amazon Video so wifey can watch her shows. More tinkering tomorrow.

Thanks guys!
    I bought a Freemotion 770 treadmill last week and upon setting it up, I came to realize that I can't access the Android desktop. I called ICON Fitness, (they own Nordic Trac, Freemotion and a plethora of other names), and after the rude customer "service" monkey registers my new machine, I ask her about how I can get to the desktop. She tells me to tap on the "gears" to change what I need to change. I again, tell her I'm trying to access the desktop. She tells me that I need to sign up for an ifit account before I can access the android desktop. :silly:

I start asking her how registering with an ifit account will allow me to get to the desktop. She of course has no clear answer. Again, tell her that I am trying to NOT use ifit and this is why I'm trying to stop it from loading (a little lie, but eh).

Then she tells me to "hit the little globe". I was surprised at how she knew I had a globe on my desk, but I hit it. It flew across the computer desk and I said "ok, I hit the globe, now what?"... silence on her end. I then said "What does the "globe" have to do with the android desktop? That's just the web browser... silence... She then tells me she has to put me on hold.

She comes back a few minutes later and AGAIN, she tries to tell me to "hit the gears if I want to calibrate the incline"... HUH? Once I realized I was getting nowhere, I finally asked her if she was in the retarded section of the call center. I then told her I wanted to speak with a supervisor. She tells me that I would have to call back. I asked her "Why, doesn't the retarded CS section you're in have a supervisor?"

We go a few more rounds and she finally tells me "There is no way to do that". I told her to forget it, I'll just find the info on the Internet. She tells me that she will note the serial number and void the warranty because I told her I was going to modify the treadmill. I told her to go right on ahead, I actually happen to have a good friend who is a Consumer Product attorney in Utah (These clowns are based out of Logan UT). I then bid her a good day and sincerely hoped she would do something to improve her brain cell count because as it stood, it was quite low. It seemed to be less than my 5 brain cells.

Anyways, now I've got it rooted and installed smart task bar. I can now access the Android Desktop through the Smart task bar app. Thanks to the people who suggested the apps.

adsbar - Alan, install the z4root and task bar app mentioned on page 2 while in safe mode. Then, reboot the treadmill and let it load ifit. You will notice a little arrow on the side on the screen. Tap it and viola! you will see your app menu. I haven't played with it much past that aside from verifying root and installing Root Explorer.

What a useless story that contributes nothing to the thread, but shows us all that you think you are pretty tough because you can call someone that didn't understand the intricacies of hacking Android a retard. I hope no one ever treats you the same way you treated this person. Let me be the first to say I am not impressed.