NORDICTRACK ELITE 9500 PRO Treadmill w/ 10" Android Tablet

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By ntsteele, Junior Member on 27th January 2011, 04:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th December 2017, 04:14 PM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Got me a brand new NordicTrack Elliptical Commercial 14.9 (NTEL71517). Followed instructions, installed Smart Taskbar. Big thanks to whomever discovered this hack! Currently looking to tweak some of the built-in workout routines. Looks like they're all hosted on s3.amazonaws.com. I am guessing, however, that they should be downloaded/cached somewhere locally, as I cannot imagine one needs an internet connection to do one's workout. Any idea where these might be hosted locally?

Anyway, thank you all for your pioneering work! Someone should post a quick tutorial in the OP with steps on how to hack this machine. Here's a beginning:
  1. Turn on machine.
  2. Once you see ANDROID appear in the center of the screen, hold the menu button pressed ("the dashes button that is between the home and back buttons on the console") until you see "Unable to load widget" on the screen. This launches safe mode, hence bypasses the loading of the iFit application that steals focus.
  3. Go to settings, and enable side loading.
  4. Launch browser and download Smart Taskbar (or plug in a USB dongle containing the Smart Taskbar apk file to the USB port).
  5. Install Smart Taskbar.
  6. Reboot after installing Smart Taskbar.
  7. Allow normal boot up, no safe mode required. You'll notice the trademark Smart Taskbar arrow on the screen. Launch Smart Taskbar. You're in. Feel free to kill the iFit process to restore Android desktop.
  8. Next: root (how?) + install apps to USB dongle (how?). Someone else, please detail these steps.

Many thanks again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua1ung For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Aqua1ung Ad-Free

21st December 2017, 07:22 PM |#72  
Flag Syracuse
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua1ung

Got me a brand new NordicTrack Elliptical Commercial 14.9 (NTEL71517). Followed instructions, installed Smart Taskbar. Big thanks to whomever discovered this hack! Currently looking to tweak some of the built-in workout routines. Looks like they're all hosted on s3.amazonaws.com. I am guessing, however, that they should be downloaded/cached somewhere locally, as I cannot imagine one needs an internet connection to do one's workout. Any idea where these might be hosted locally?

Anyway, thank you all for your pioneering work! Someone should post a quick tutorial in the OP with steps on how to hack this machine. Here's a beginning:

1. Turn on machine.
  2. Once you see ANDROID appear in the center of the screen, hold the menu button pressed ("the dashes button that is between the home and back buttons on the console") until you see "Unable to load widget" on the screen. This launches safe mode, hence bypasses the loading of the iFit application that steals focus.
  3. Go to settings, and enable side loading.
  4. Launch browser and download Smart Taskbar (or plug in a USB dongle containing the Smart Taskbar apk file to the USB port).
  5. Install Smart Taskbar.
  6. Reboot after installing Smart Taskbar.
  7. Allow normal boot up, no safe mode required. You'll notice the trademark Smart Taskbar arrow on the screen. Launch Smart Taskbar. You're in. Feel free to kill the iFit process to restore Android desktop.
  8. Next: root (how?) + install apps to USB dongle (how?). Someone else, please detail these steps.

Many thanks again!

This is very encouraging! I just set up our new c2950 (2017) and the first thing I noticed was the 22" tablet is Android based... the trouble is at / during boot I don't see any back, home or menu icons... no dash. It would be great to be able to use VLC to play MP4's from the USB port on the side of the console assembly while exercising! There must be a way to crack this thing!
21st December 2017, 09:18 PM |#73  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1026

This is very encouraging! I just set up our new c2950 (2017) and the first thing I noticed was the 22" tablet is Android based... the trouble is at / during boot I don't see any back, home or menu icons... no dash. It would be great to be able to use VLC to play MP4's from the USB port on the side of the console assembly while exercising! There must be a way to crack this thing!

Those are hardware buttons, they're not on the screen. You'll see a button labelled with a stylized house. To its right you should have a menu (bunch of dashes atop each other) that's the one you should hold hold down during boot.
21st December 2017, 10:04 PM |#74  
Flag Syracuse

More
Quote:

Those are hardware buttons, they're not on the screen. You'll see a button labelled with a stylized house. To its right you should have a menu (bunch of dashes atop each other) that's the one you should hold hold down during boot.

I just looked again. No Android icons (no stacked bars for menu, nothing_ on the 22" screen or surround?!? C2950 screen
22nd December 2017, 03:17 PM |#75  

More
Quote:

I just looked again. No Android icons (no stacked bars for menu, nothing_ on the 22" screen or surround?!?

Here's what you should be looking for: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lgb...NT20pFNYt/view
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua1ung For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Aqua1ung Ad-Free
22nd December 2017, 03:53 PM |#76  
Flag Syracuse

More
Quote:

Here's what you should be looking for: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lgb...NT20pFNYt/view

Yes, I was looking for those icons. They're not printed or displayed anywhere on the console. Thanks for the picture but the 2017 Commercial 2950's 22" display and bezel don't seem to have them. Dead in the water until I can find where they're hidden.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote:

Yes, I was looking for those icons. They're not printed or displayed anywhere on the console. Thanks for the picture but the 2017 Commercial 2950's 22" display and bezel don't seem to have them. Dead in the water until I can find where they're hidden.

So I went to maps and edit... along with the keyboard I found them
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4sCTPz1HjCym0TGm2 .

Too bad when I use any of them long press etc... I get nowhere --- when I press menu the background looks like Lollipop though https://photos.app.goo.gl/VE9vmOg5BH2bRtWE3 .

They don't appear during boot... getting closer but not there yet!
13th January 2018, 07:45 PM |#77  
Flag Syracuse

More
Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

So I went to maps and edit... along with the keyboard I found them
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4sCTPz1HjCym0TGm2 .

Too bad when I use any of them long press etc... I get nowhere --- when I press menu the background looks like Lollipop though https://photos.app.goo.gl/VE9vmOg5BH2bRtWE3 .

They don't appear during boot... getting closer but not there yet!

I got in. Turned on USB debugging... Can load apps but sadly Netflix won't run. Maybe root? Need to extract the iFit apps just in case.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
22nd January 2018, 10:18 PM |#78  
Flag Syracuse

More
Quote:

I got in. Turned on USB debugging... Can load apps but sadly Netflix won't run. Maybe root? Need to extract the iFit apps just in case.

Okay, I spoke with tech support today, which was very disappointing.

My neighbors heavy use of 2.4GHz have sucked up channels 1, 6 and 11... Buffering is an issue. I countered by moving my 2.4/5.0 WAP directly behind the treadmill. Now the bluetooth heart monitor craps out after 5 or so minutes of connecting. I suspect the 2.4GHz WAP is too damn strong in that close proximity.

My latest quest is to identify if the hardware has the capability to connect to a 5GHz wifi network because in settings only 2.4GHz is available. That seems crazy for a modern android tablet (or is it modern)? Plan B is to unlock use of the USB port to utilize a OTG USB to ethernet adapter so I can hardwire to the treadmill.
23rd January 2018, 12:02 PM |#79  
Florida
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Okay, I spoke with tech support today, which was very disappointing.

My neighbors heavy use of 2.4GHz have sucked up channels 1, 6 and 11... Buffering is an issue. I countered by moving my 2.4/5.0 WAP directly behind the treadmill. Now the bluetooth heart monitor craps out after 5 or so minutes of connecting. I suspect the 2.4GHz WAP is too damn strong in that close proximity.

My latest quest is to identify if the hardware has the capability to connect to a 5GHz wifi network because in settings only 2.4GHz is available. That seems crazy for a modern android tablet (or is it modern)? Plan B is to unlock use of the USB port to utilize a OTG USB to ethernet adapter so I can hardwire to the treadmill.

Just for a funny test, you could create a faraday cage around the combined wifi and treadmill. A simple box box lined with aluminum foil should do the trick. Isolate that the issue is external to your system.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to snapper245 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift snapper245 Ad-Free
23rd January 2018, 02:24 PM |#80  
Flag Syracuse

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper245

Just for a funny test, you could create a faraday cage around the combined wifi and treadmill. A simple box box lined with aluminum foil should do the trick. Isolate that the issue is external to your system.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking of just moving the WAP away slowly in stages... then out of the room and seeing what happens, but I like your suggestion!

Still, the hardware is unknown... I guess Nordictrack leaves me no choice but to grab some tools and peak, then use the info to research.
27th February 2018, 06:51 PM |#81  
Flag Brampton
Thanks Meter: 1

More
How did you get in your 2950?
How did you get in and turn on USB debugging?

Thanks

Quote:

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android tablet, fitness, nordictrack, treadmill

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)